2007-03-14 22:28:16

Hi
I don't know how it started but for some reason when I try to switch voices in the kitchen's inc menu and games, there is an error and the error is:

Run-time error '5':graphic 899  Invalid procedure call or argument

It doesn't happen when I switch the microsoft voices or some other ones like the flight but it happens with some others. How can I fix this problem?
Thanks
Game Man

Game Man

2007-03-15 05:12:36

Hi
They ar sapi voices. I use to not have any errors when I'm playing kitchen's inc games but anyways, I've also tried using stuff that will fix any sapi problems but they haven't worked.
Game Man

Game Man

2007-03-15 09:04:46

If they weren't SAPI 5 voices they would simply not show up. Also thread hijacking is perhaps not a good idea until the original poster has some reasonable answers.

Have you tried contacting Jim Kitchen? If it doesn't happen with any other program then this might be a good idea.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-03-15 11:28:34 (edited by dark empathy 2007-03-15 11:51:15)

Game man, i've been having similar run time error messages everytime I've tried to use Orphius with Sapi applications. But the other day when this came up on the Audeasy list, Jim kitchen added some extra files to his site (he's a very kind bloke like that). The Delusalex.exe file is a fix for Sapi that solved my run time error issue nicely. I'm not quite sure if this is the same run time error your getting, but it might be worth trying. Please note though, that running the file seems to cause nothing to happen, however I did get results from running it so I can only assume it worked.

andy, another file Jim Kitchin has recently added to his page is a file called "Speech Xp exe" I assume if you've already got sam, your running windows Xp (though I could be wrong about this).

Download and run the "Speech Xp Exe" file, and Mike and mary will be available to you.

As to trivia files, simply open one with note pad and have a glance at the formatting, as i remember, a litle application of logic should tell you everything you want to know, I won't go into a long discussion of it here though as it would be extremely off topic, and while being off topic isn't a crime, being off topic in somebody's problem thread can be really annoying.

imagine, you post a thread about a problem, you get 8 replies, and find that none! of them are actually anything to do with your problem.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-03-15 21:11:37

Hi
I've tried that program but it didn't help. I've also tried reinstalling the game menus and stuff but that didn't do any good.
Game Man

Game Man

2007-03-16 02:48:18

Hi
I think that pressing the alt key when you are in Monopoly is an easter egg. I also heard that there has been problems extracting the game files on Vista so I'm not sure how you are going to play the games unles you can extract it by using something else. As for actually playing the games, I'm not sure about that.
Game Man

Game Man

2007-03-16 03:21:38

Sorry that the file wasn't any help Game man. I'd assume that if it's a Sapi problem, reinstalling the kitchinsinc games wouldn't help.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to contact Jim Kitchin or somebody with lots of experience of using Sapi.

I didn't know about the thing in monopoly! i'm going to try that now.

Personally, I don't see any point installing vista until there's actually something I want to do that requires it, which I can't do with Xp, and that's likely to be quite a long time, ----- there are after all stil plenty of things that run with windows 98 even now, though obviously there are many things that don't as well.

andy, windows vista is not a computer, it is an operating system.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-03-16 06:03:09

Hi
Microsoft has it's own zip utility but it's not very good. Winzip is a third party application so it's another alternative to the window's one.
Game Man

Game Man

2007-03-16 22:07:47

As far as Zipping goes, I'm a 7zip fan all the way, I was recently sending someone a 21 meg folder and got it down to only 4 meg in 7Z format, ----- which given my annoying uni's restraint on E-mail size is a very good thing.

Personally, I'd much rather play audio games on headphones than speakers anyway, particularly for games that rely heavily on surround sound such as things made with the gma engine, and several of Draconis more complex games.

I Even find Superliam, bsc's games or the various space-invaders esque titles come out better on headphones for me, though then again, I do own some rather good headphones.

I'm not sure what you mean by having many files in Trivia andy, I've got all the files for the game available from Kitchinsinc and haven't experienced any problems with freezing. I do notice though that any kitchinsinc game does tend to go a litle splirky iff you try and exit the window or do something else while the game is running, so if the game is locking up perhaps there's something else running at the same time?

I agree about the music, it would be nice either to have a volume option or for it to be interuptable, but we'll see what jim brings out in the next version.

2007-03-16 22:45:43

Hi,
What does the easteregg do in monopily?

2007-03-17 04:02:19

An easter egg means some kind of super secret special item hidden somewhere in the game, often one that doesn't have anything to do with the game but might be a personal touch from one of the programmers, such as a special greeting or (in mainstream games), pictures of their family.

having had a go at the thing in Monopoly, I'm fairly sure it's not an easter egg, sinse easter eggs don't usually generate run time errors or cause the game to crash.

I think it's probablya mistakenly applied hotkey.

While it'd be worth contacting Jim Kitchen about it, I don't really see it as too annoying sinse you don't exactly have to press the alt key for anything in the game anyway.

2007-03-17 16:04:42 (edited by cx2 2007-03-17 16:05:17)

A little more explicitly, an easter egg is usually a hidden joke of some kind. It may or may not have any in game impact, but is primarily intended to make you laugh or give you a smile. An example might be if pressing certain keys in a game would give you a new weapon, the "white stick", or some other silly weapon based on the theme of the game.

Other easter eggs could be additional game modes or audio clips.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-03-24 03:13:58

I expect that your post is slightly confusing, sinse what does it have to do with Easter eggs?

Perhaps a litle more care reading the previous posts and responding accordingly might be in order.

2007-03-24 10:50:48

Back to the original problem. I can tell you that each game has a .cfg file which you can edit with notepad. There are two numbers in the beginning the first (if I remember right) is speech rate and the second number is the sapi voice number. It may take some fooling around but you can set the .cfg file to whatever sapi voice you want that way. I didn't know the voice numbers so it took a while. Also, I wish Jim would make the trivia game multiplayer. He is one of the best people for making his games involve a group of people like yatzee and monopoly concentration and even golf. Ok qhope that helps