2006-11-26 22:00:05 (edited by elliott 2006-11-26 22:15:34)

Hi,
I am havving problems with my vidio card. I have Grand Theft auto Vice City. When I run it, it says that it cann't find enough vidio memory. Can someone please tell me a way to upgrade my vidio memory with out changing my vidio card?
e-elliott.tk
http://www.e-elliott.tk
My new website!
Thanks.

2006-11-26 22:22:11

Hi,
Does anyone no how to upgrade the vidio memory?
Thanks.
e-elliott.tk
http://www.e-elliott.tk

2006-11-27 00:03:15 (edited by cx2 2006-11-27 00:15:51)

Cannot be done, the memory is integrated into the card.

Normally I would say that upgrading a graphics card is fairly cheap and easy, but given past experiences of trying to explain to you I wouldn't recommend it.

However if you did want to try upgrading your graphics card you would need to find out what type of slot your PC uses. The info should be in the manual for your PC or motherboard, these are usually available in PDF from the manufacturer's site if you can find the *exact* model number. The main ones are:
AGP, with the type such as 2X, 4X or 8X
PCI Express Graphics, also referred to as PCI Express X16 or PEG

Once you found the type you need to find a carc compatible with the slot type. Find out your current model's memory and then choose a suitable replacement. I know here in the UK they start around

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-11-27 17:04:00

Hi,
Thanks. Can I download any drivers that might help?
Thanks again.

2006-11-27 20:51:50 (edited by cx2 2006-11-27 22:08:00)

Depends if your card truly hasn't enough memory.

Go to run on the start menu and type in "dxdiag", short for DirectX Diagnostics. Go to the display tab and it will show approximate total memory.

And be advised, changing graphics driver... either by updating to a new version or changing card entirely... can result in your screen reader's graphics interceptor ceasing to work, but this can be fixed by repairing the install if available for your screen reader or reinstalling. I know with Jaws 4.51 I have to repair the Jaws install to get the graphics interceptor sorted out.

If you did decide to go for a new card the GeForce cards all use the same drivers now, just download the latest version from the NVidia site and install.

Edit:
And please check your spelling of video, I had trouble using the Jaws find in HTML to find this topic. video is V ID E O

Edit 2:
Just looked up the specs, they look pretty low. Apparently it requires minimum 32mb graphics card, which is tiny these days. Your card would need to be pretty old to not have 32mb, and if it was you could probably pick up a good enough one for in the region of

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.