2013-02-08 21:49:41

Because I want to, that's why.

I decided to throw together a list of problems confronting blind/VI people, without getting too horribly specific.
Let's solve them.

But wait! I strongly advise we all hold off on proposing solutions until the problems have been thoroughly analyzed. Otherwise, we'll wind up drowning in ideas based on incomplete information and will be too busy with idea-duels to focus on actually solving the problems.

Here's a list of fourteen. Feel free to add more.
Let's pick one, tear it apart (maybe with a whole thread?), then make it stop being a problem. Then move on.

To the overly optimistic: Dartmouth suggested that the problem of machine intelligence could be solved over a summer... several decades ago. The planning Fallacy is a devious foe.
To the overly pessimistic: Humans have walked on the moon, and someone had to invent TapTapSee. Let's not underestimate what a few people on the internet can accomplish.

• Long-distance transportation. Sighted people can drive. Blind people have to rely on mass transit or other people who can drive. This is a huge stumblingblock to independence for anyone living outside of a major city.

• familiarity with new environments. Sighted people can walk into a store, look around a bit, and only rarely have to ask for help (and even then, it's usually responded to with some pointing and a couple directions). What happens when a blind person walks into a store they've never been in, alone?

• Employment. This is a multipart problem. Not only is the set of jobs that don't require vision smaller than the set that do, but employers are less likely to hire a blind applicant if there is a sighted applicant within a few standard deviations of the same qualifications. It's also a little harder to find job opportunities (a lot of places post signs when they're hiring, or leave applications where people can see them. Oh, and they're written forms!).

• As mentioned above, written forms. The Social Security Administration sends braille letters, but they specifically state that most everything should be submitted in writing. It's that way just about everywhere!

• CAPCHAs, because they are fowl beasts fighting against the robot apocalypse by taking more humans with them than bots.

• Subtitled videos. A universal way to do this at roughly sighted-person pace would be nifty. Note, it really shouldn't require a lot of effort.

• Recognizing people at a distance?

• Feedback for assistive technology. The focus has been on audio, because touch is limited and expensive at present. Audio is a huge navigation aid, though, and is our primary means of communication. So throwing more and more assistive technologies that use audio at people is going to slow them down by eating at the bandwidth capabilities of audio. Either a way to optimize audio, or to improve feedback for other senses seems good, but there are probably solutions orthogonal to either of those.

• Using appliances out-of-the-box. Especially since most everything nowadays has labels and touch screens.

• I have to imagine that smart phones are going to be an important tool for solving a lot of these problems, but that creates its own limitations. Smart Phones have battery life restrictions, tend to die when submerged, aren't practical to wave around and listen to if, say, you're in the middle of a large-scale fast-paced mock battle of some kind, etc. Yes, make Smart Phones more powerful! But it's dangerous to be stuck with such a weakpoint. Some viable alternative seems worth investigating.

• The nonverbal components of human contact!

• Visual information in general, if converted into a blind-accessible form, would be useful.

• Eh, just reading anything in general would be a good ability. The catch is that, even if we have increasingly powerful OCR apps on our phones, this won't help spot signs, identify places where there is text to be read, etc.

• Cultural lock-out. The visual element of culture is increasingly important, with the rise of the internet. Webcomics, infographics, image macros... there are way over nine thousand things that are practically ambient in modern culture that blind people are likely to be completely left out of simply because they haven't literally seen it.

That is far from all, but it seems like a good place to start.

Next task: pick some of these problems to analyze in detail. Hold off on proposing solutions until we have a very good picture of the problem; any ideas that come to mind can be written down, but ignore them otherwise, less we get attached to something without fully realizing its flaws/merits.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-02-08 22:35:23

Excellent post!  I also love the link you've provided since it helps show the importance of discussing the problems rather than tossing out ideas for solving them.

I've often thought about the issue of new environments and of visual information in general.  When navigating with vision, I don't have to specifically WANT to pay attention to the table in the middle of the room, the book shelf protruding from the wall, or the cat toys on the floor in order to avoid them as I move through the room.  Some of the most useful parts of vision are the huge amounts of automatic information that flood in which don't require any effort on my part.  With a range of almost 180 degrees, obstacle avoidance is even possible while turning the head side to side while doing other tasks.  Mimicking this functionality in someone who cannot see would be a life changing thing.

The problem is that even if we suddenly had some magic camera and software that could accurately give environmental data using sound, it would almost certainly require you to focus on the sounds to make sense of them.  The automatic aspect would be gone, and I think that would just about destroy the true usefulness of it.

There is a situation referred to as "tunnel vision" that can sometimes happen to sighted people, where their brain becomes overwhelmed by the objects in the environment.  In essence, the automatic processes stop being so automatic and we temporarily have to use conscious thought to examine the world around us.  It is unnerving, that's for sure, and it can easily lead to us bumping into something we just didn't notice even though the object was clearly within our field of vision.  It is very likely that you've even heard a sighted friend or family member use that phrase at some point.  I'm sure there are equivalent experiences for hearing, but it is probably less noticeable to me since I don't rely on my ears.  It doesn't seem like "tunnel vision" could go unnoticed, but there are plenty of times when it has slowly snuck up on me until it was finally at a noticeable level, and other times when I walked into some crowded store and it hit me instantly.  Forgive the tangent about tunnel vision, LOL, it was meant to give evidence that a truly useful tool for providing environmental data needs to work automatically in your brain.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2013-02-08 22:42:00

I just think this is pointless.
Non verbal communication. not being able to read signs.
If I'm  honest it doesn't bother me one bit.
Solving these things would turn us into robots. With a gadget for this, another for that. I'm getting along just fine, I suggest we all do.

2013-02-08 23:08:18

No one said the solution had to be a gadget.
And, well, I can understand someone without the experience underestimating the value of nonverbal communication, but signs? Including signs like "DANGER" or "Construction" or "Emergency exit only" or "Now hiring!" or "No trespassing" or "Exit 142, city A, in X miles"? If signs like those weren't where sighted people could see them, someone would be sued into the stone ages.

Actually, I think the robot analogy is great--in the opposite direction. Robots are built to perform specific tasks--we simply don't have general-purpose androids or artificial intelligence yet. In much the same way, people with low or no vision are limited in what they can do. The difference is that we have the same general intelligence as the rest of humanity. Plenty of us use it; I'm suggesting we use it more, until it runs out, then go get coffee and keep going.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-02-09 05:19:12

good one!
I've always wanted to partisipate in such a discussion; but never had enough motivation to iniciate the topic.
there, there! isn't that our number one problem?;)

anyway, I suppose unemployment strikes me us the most important aspect to be discussed.
even if we had all the assistive technology to live indipendently, all the sollutions right at disposal, if we don't have the purchasing power, the economical capability of implimentation, all is for nothing, right?

I talk of this because, I know many a blind person who don't even have enough money to buy a smartphone or computer, mutch less aford something like JAWS.

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2013-02-09 06:08:44

As it turns out, what got me to make the list was thinking about the economic problem. I imagine that the majority of these (except maybe the subtitles one) would actually have some economic benefits if solved.
But employment is definitely a big one, since I'm pretty sure that if every other problem there was solved completely, there'd still be a higher unemployment rate and lower average income among blind people compared to everyone else. A lot of those would help on that front, but would count as improvements rather than solutions.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-02-09 10:47:11

Well it strikes me that one of the issues about your list is while some problems, lack of visual information for instance are ones that could be metaphorically solved by technology (we'd all love Jordi laforge style vizers, or at least I would), questions such as employment do not come down to any of these issues but the prejudicial human element.

One thought experiment I was considdering adding to my thesis (though didn't in the end), was the reverse of my castaway test, ie, removing all the "disabling!" aspects of a disability and seeing what society was left. imagine a world where everyone with any sort of disability is granted free of charge at birth, a fully functional asimovian style robot. The robot has all the capabilities and understanding of a human, but unlike a human is not a moral being and so has no obligations or inherent moral duties upon it's masters accept for regular maintenence, and will obey all orders and commands logically and rationally.

In this imaginary world, the only extant disabilities would be psychological ones. It wouldn't for instance matter if you could not read a sign, since your robot would not only read it for you, but also would have sufficient levels of rationality to understand what! signs might be important to you, ditto with written communication. We could even imagine circumstances by which, say through a microphone in your ear, your robot could let you know when a person is attempting to make eye contact or a person's expression in conversation, (yes these are pretty amazing robots, but they're intended as a thought experiment not as anything realistic).

The problem however is that even when the possession of such a robot assistant would pretty much remove all standard aspects of disability, it would not remove people's prejudices. I can see it now at job interviews:

"well how will you read and fill in the forms?"

"well my robot reads them to me and fills in the information I instruct it to"

"hmmm, well we don't have an opening for a person of your abilities" says the employer, while thinking "well that isn't very good is it if this stupid person can't even fill in his own forms without a robot).

Thus, even if we iliminate the actual disabling qualities of disability through some sort of technological or external agency (and that is a pretty major if in itself), we still have the human problem, which is ultimately the far more serious one.

I have proposed some solutions to this in my phd, but none are ones which a disabled person themselves is in a position to enact, since mostly the judgements of others cannot be changed by the individual about which those judgements have been made, indeed if an employer believes! blind (or any other disabled), people are intrinsically incompitent, then logically they will believe that any assessment of a blind person's compitancy by the person themselvve is flawed.

"you ight think! you can do this job but your wrong"

Employment isn't the only problem on your list either. For example, in Britain, while it is the law all public buildings must be wheel chair accessible, no similar law exists for public announcements including announcements on busses, which makes busses practically impossible. To have such changes made would be quite possible, but would require the government to get off their collective rears and make them. This is partly why I wrote my thesis in the first place since it's precisely that sort of thing that gets consulted by the government on the rare occasions they do! do something usefull.

so, while I entirely agree with technological discussions, I think perhaps we need to recognize that technology can only go so far and that there are considderable practical elements that come down to people, and as is most well observed by Mr. Adams, to summerize the summery of the summery, people are a problem!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-02-09 21:27:54 (edited by gellman 2013-02-09 21:51:34)

Well, if assistive technology ever delivers a robot making blinds truly independent, why should an employer hire a blind human who must be paid rather than investing in the robot who doesn't eat, sleep and doesn't need pay or health care?

I also think that a lot of blinds are obsessively occupied with having their lack of abilities normalized by pretending to do things sighted persons take for granted.

Sexual relations, employment and the ability to do cooking are some of the tasks in which blind persons often lack behind.
A lot of 'normal' people don't want blinds as sexual partners and don't want to be inconvenienced by the special needs of disabled.

Saying that you can 'cure' the problem by giving every blind a robot and pretending that the blind person suddently is capable of more than before is sophistry.  The blind individual is not physically capable of doing more just because the task can be delegated to a robot who lacks the human need for Wrecognition.

Why should society pretend that blinds can do things they can't just because it make them feel better?

A negative consequence is that many fake 'problems' suffered by visually impaired individuals are elevated beyond justification while real and debilitating problems are not addressed.

I don't care about employment, but I do much care about technology driven independence. If I have to choose between a society in which every blind can have a robot, which makes one's food and drives one  around, but also makes my employment uneconomical, I choose technology independence over the dubious recognition brought by employment in a corporation in which you as a blind user can't do the same things as a sighted employer.

And as to the counterargument that employment brings social inclusion and acceptance, it's completely 
fake if the employment status is inherently unequal.

As I argued in another thread, it's not meaningful to talk about any equality or say  informational equality given that visually impaired persons often can't even install their own computers or do standard admin work.

- Disable secureboot
- Restore an operating system from scratch

- Perform an inventory of a pc's BIOS setup.

We can't, and there is really no solution to these problems. If the sighted society really were interested, we would already have the solutions.

I'll say something for which I am not going to be very popular. Sighted persons for the most part don't care about our 'problems'.

CAE_Jones wrote:

But employment is definitely a big one, since I'm pretty sure that if every other problem there was solved completely, there'd still be a higher unemployment rate and lower average income among blind people compared to everyone else. A lot of those would help on that front, but would count as improvements rather than solutions.

If every other challenge on your list was solved, the need for employment would be moot.

If an  android robot is sufficiently developed to provide complete independence to blind and disabled individuals in all aspects of life, I see no reason why a corporation or public institution wouldn't still  forego the employment of a half effective disabled employer who still needs pay, health care and still can't do the same as a normally sighted person.

On a side note, employment is only necessary in order to earn enough to eat and entertain oneself.

If we get a android robot, a lot of human workers can be discarded.

And this is actually great for us. The more automation the better.

m

2013-02-09 21:38:16

I think I understand what Gellman is saying.

If you could only fix the employment problem or the independence problem, independence is the answer.  With a job, or a higher paid job, the money would be used to compensate for the lack of independence or to afford other devices meant to make life easier.  Paying for cabs to drive you to places you want to go and buying the latest super expensive accessible tech.

If independence was solved instead, and we assume the solution wasn't expensive, then you still might not have that job you wanted but you also wouldn't need that extra income to hire cabs or buy overpriced accessible items.

Ideally we'd want to solve both problems, but I can see how one trumps the other.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2013-02-09 21:49:47 (edited by gellman 2013-02-09 21:55:46)

Then the question is why the lack of employment opportunities is a 'problem' at all to be 'solved'..

Employment is not a good in itself. Yes, a lot of normal people work because they like it, or they claim it as motivation for having chosen a particular occupation.  But if ttechnology made their occupation supurfluous, but said technology also benefitted them in other ways making it unnecessary to work for pay, most would not consider it unfortunate.

m

2013-02-09 22:54:25

Oh, of course! But in the current economic system, and with current social status signals, employment = spending power = independence. But I'm more interested in the independence part over the employment part, as well, and realistically, employment is mostly a psychological problem, while the other things could have technological solutions.
And, well, employment signals "I am a competent and productive member of society, and am not leaching off everyone else". Arguably, there are ways to signal that without having to work around employment opportunity issues (For instance, solving some of the other problems, here. XD ).

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-02-09 23:05:09 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2017-09-12 16:18:01)

I am completely on this Cae, and I am totally one hundred supportive on your ideas and suggestions. My project is going to find ways to address mass problems like this.
Personally, I think blind people should learn how to become self-employed, or work with other blind people. You know how there is a saying, the blind leading the blind? What if blind people work with other blind people? Employment would have its own set of workers, and in turn it would solve problems.
As for the robots and gagets, yes, that is certainly a possibility, but my project does not focus on using machines for interpreting vision, although some work is being done on finding relevent ways to transmit visual input into the brain using alternaitve sensory substitution devices.
My project I guess you could say, is trying to turn the impossible into the possible. And a lot of things are, but we need more people who are willing to put aside their skeptics and realize that for everything there is always a solution. But we spend too much time to ourselves and not to one another, that we hardly think outside the box, either that, but no one really turns into abstract thinkers. Negative results are just as good as positive ones, because it only makes us stronger. We know what fails, and we can find other solutions other workarounds. And of course, each solution has its own set of consequences, whether they might appear suddenly, or might occur later in the long-run.
Jeremy, I thought tunnel vision was referring when the field of view was so narrow that you practically have to turn your head to kfollow the flash light. In a test I was to point out which way the light was moving. I could only tell when the light was there, then gone, then there again, and gone. When I saw it, ti was right at the centre. I am not sure if that is more defined as central vision, but anyhow that light had a tone of yellow in it. I knew it was yellow, because I associated the scientific tone of yellow, which is roughly around 450-465 cycles per second in mechanical waves.
Here is a link to my project: http://www.sensationexperience.com/

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2013-02-09 23:24:05

I think what K_Jones is getting at is people want to feel useful in their society, family, etc. We don't want to be freeloading off the government and people's tax money. You're right in that there are lots of people who would leave their jobs if they could, but if instead people only do what they love, I'll bet you'd see everyone doing something. there are enough people in the world that someone enjoys just about everything. It's just now they can't indulge because they're busy trying to make a living. People aren't meant to be idle, and we all like to feel like valued members of society.

Since society doesn't change overnight though, employment is important because it signifies that you are a productive member of the community. Also, people with disabilities who are successful have a very positive image in the disabled community and in their group of colleagues. Dark is right in that in most cases it's the people who are the problem. I'd bet most of them are unaware they're the problem though and just don't think about it.

then you have the economy. In what seems like a global phenomenon, it's getting harder and harder to find jobs of any kind. You're needing more qualifications, more schooling, more mobility, etc. It's become an employers market, and in a lot of cases companies don't really care about their employees anymore because if they become a problem they're so easily replaced. That being said, of course they're going to hire someone who doesn't need screen readers, braille printers, or any other assistive device because it costs them a bit of money in addition to the fact that they might think we're capable but not feel we're capable., and emotions trump logic every time.

thanks,
Michael

2013-02-10 00:30:41

casta947 wrote:

Personally, I think blind people should learn how to become self-employed, or work with other blind people. You know how there is a saying, the blind leading the blind? What if blind people work with other blind people? Employment would have its own set of workers, and in turn it would solve problems.

Blinds 'helping' the blinds sounds good, but how many blinds speak out against overpriced half working accessibility solutions when they themselves get employment in the corrupt monopolistic corporation.

The notion that nonproductivity is leeching off society is wrong.

In which employment area are blinds equally  competent to do the job without the employer getting a state subsidy as incentive to employ a blind?

Here in my country, the national union of the blinds speaks out against the practice of only employing visually impaired in subsidized jobs, but remarkably does the same. The union fired all its visually impaired consultants and only took them on when the state paid the subsidy.

However, an  outgoing chairman got more than 100000 US$ plus as retirement for good service.

The blind union also begs for charity at Christmas, and neglects to inform the donors that none of the money goes to
suffering blinds but rather to the organization.

It's moral corruption at the highest order.

Blinds can't help each other, unless they can agree on a common goal.

m

2013-02-10 02:34:47

I do have an idea that might help on the economic/fun front, but I kinda feel like talking about it now would be proposing a solution a little early, hahaha. Though in this case, we have talked about the employment situation quite a bit in multiple other threads, so I don't suppose it would be as bad as jumping into ideas on transportation or situational awareness.

You know those "free art (but donate what you think it's worth plz)" sites? I think we need one. A user generated content sort of thing, where we'd have a staff of editors/reviewers who review submissions to make sure they meet standards, then users give votes to what they like, which affects how they appear on the main page. There'd be a variety of categories (fiction / music / audio dramas / etc), and I definitely wouldn't want to make it look exclusive to the BVI community, but the idea would be to start by telling everyone around here, organizing the primary categories to favor accessibility, etc. It'd still only work for people who are into creative stuff, but it seems like a lot of people here are, so that's one way to help. It wouldn't be a stable way to bring more money into the community, but it strikes me as more likely to work than, say, writing things at hubpages. It would take money to start, though (hosting/advertising). And right now I'm kinda struggling to cover the costs of my game (Gah, I have like four things to get done in the next 40 hours...).
So, yeah, kinda like a combination of Cracked/reddit/Brandon Sanderson's side projects.

This would only work for the people already online, though. I think solving some of those other problems could have wider-reaching benefits.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-02-10 13:33:14

@aprone, I'm afraid saying that employment solves independence because of perchicing power is not addressing the issue. If a blind person and someone with a car receive the same amount of pay for the same job, but the blind person must spend all their money on public transport, access tech etc to do the basic independence things that the sighted person can do without, in effect the blind person is recieving less wage.

Plus there is the effort component. One blind person I know was doing a five day a week job, but had absolutely no energy to do anything else since the difficulties with travel and with the work basically meant he came in and went to sleep. Combine this with the need to for instance  do mobility training and he was pretty much stuck.

Myself I would prefer a government subsedy whereby bennifits would be paid not just to unemployed people but also to allow people with disabilities to work part time, since at the moment that option just isn't open.

Jellman, it sounds like the union for the blind in your country has been taking lessons from the rnib big_smile.

As to employment, status and usefullness, I disagree that employment automatically equals some sort of bennifit. i've seen far too many people (especially in Britain where everyone has a degree), with considderable amounts of brains doing completely pointless and stupid jobs, indeed their are people with doctorates working in supermarkits, and of course combine this with the fact that a blind person cannot use an mp3 player while their engaged in manual work, and that relations with co workers will be strained, and again, while this is a solvable problem it will take more effect and social skills on the part of the blind individual.

There are people who value being employed at anything for the sake of being employed just because they value getting paid and the social status, however I'm not sure this is universal, indeed for myself this is exactly why I have chosen to devote myself to doing things that are worthwhile, namely singing and academic work rather than trying to get some sort of job.

My own theory is that so long as I am doing something that is usefull to others, work on this site, publish academic papers or the like, I am not actually leaching off anyone. Then again, I have also not had children nor any plans to have them which has a pretty major effect since kids are expensive and would require considderably more money, space and a change in lifestyle.

Thus personally I'm less certain employment is the catalist to everything, not without a massive change in social attitudes which simply will not happen, indeed with the way society is becoming more and more polarized into sterriotypical groups it seems if anything even less likely.

Btw Jellman, my robot example was simply intended to show (as your response showed), that even if you illiminate through what would be the ultimate form of access tech all associated problems of disability, you are still left with a considderable social element. it was not proposed as anything like a possible world or an ideal solution even if it were possible, (which i severely doubt it ever would be).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-02-10 17:10:52

Personally, i feel that i'm at the top of my own Maslow's pyramid. Just short of self actualization. I have just enough money to feed myself, be intertained, and oh wait, i have a sexual partner, what else do i really need? I certainly don't need to hold down employment to feel that i'm a good member of society. I don't feel the need to stroke my eago that way. I think the best thing all blind people can do is focus on what they have instead of what they don't have. I suppose many have given in to societys pressures of needing to see to fix them, or make there lives better. That's fine, we are all different. I feel that if i never have a job in my life time, so be it, i will die happy. Extra money only means more material items that i may or may not need, it's not even remotely a matter of fitting in. I enjoy my small circle of friends and family, and i'm perfectly content to watch the world go on by, it doesn't hurt my feelings that i don't have 400 friends on facebook, or who won american idle last night, and i'm content not to raise any kids. But this is just me, and i certainly don't speak for everyone. But like i said, remember the things you actually have in life instead of focusing on the negatives you will just push yourself in to a depressing hole.

2013-02-10 18:44:46

Well Arq, while I totally agree that the idea of status being exclusively tied to employment is a silly one, and especially in avoiding the creation of desires by capitalist society, at the same time there are! people who either desire employment for the sake of employment, or like my brother have an ambition that could only! be fulfilled by a certain type of employment. this is why my brother (who is partially sighted), struggled fortwelve years to be employed as a solicitor, since that! was the thing he most wanted to do in his life.

I know for a fact my own life style, as something of a loner and an artist, living fairly frugally would not suit many people, especially those who have different values to mine.

For example, I do not own my flat, Durham city counsel do. I can live in it as long as I like, indeed I was lucky to get it and wouldn't if I hadn't had a disability. I pay the water and electric and gas, and if I ever start earning money will need to pay wrent. This all sutes me fine since I do not plan to move out, don't want children, ---- indeed it's pretty unlikely I'd ever even want to move in with a partner.

My brother however was adamant he wished to own! his own house, a house which my dad's godmother left to him and which my brother is slowly buying from my parents, paying a limited morgage wrate each month.

He! felt very strongly that he wanted to own the  house legally, that he had his name on the deeds  etc, however since he has (finally), got a job and one he loves, this is no problem for him.

So, employment is still an issue even if your not actually yourself a person who values it, indeed this is partly why I do voluntary work myself (including the work on this site as well as my academic work), since if I did not do this I'd! feel like a leach, and in fact when I am qualified in voice plan to setup a charity where I  can hier my services out to perform for any charity who needs a tenor to sing for them, free of charge or at the cost of travel only.

Heck,if anyone did! ever offer to pay me to write or  sing (the two things I have some skill in), I'd certainly take it.

2013-02-10 20:05:26

Dark I think you may have misread my post, I wasn't saying that employment or purchasing power solves the independence issue.  I was trying to point out that employment is not as important to solve as independence.  smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2013-02-10 20:44:29

Ah fair enough Aprone, I appologise for the missunderstanding there.

2013-02-10 20:55:42

Oh, sorry aprone, i wasn't refering to your post directly, rather making my own observations. Dark: i totaly agree with your points posted. In fact, i'm not against employment for being employed so much as i am against the idea that your a better member of society if you happen to have employment. If i could get a job in computer networking, setting up servers, or even tech support, i would jump at the oportunity, simply because i love that stuff and love to help others in the field of computing.

2013-02-12 07:05:18

Wow, what a rich discussion to jump into.  This is likely to be long.

Re: situational awareness, Aprone, I think you have articulated a good standard, not only must the solution be able to provide a wealth of information, but it must be able to do so in a way that the recipient isn't spending all her time processing that information, rather than using it.  Where I think you may go off the rails a bit is in not realizing that this is exactly the experience and problem every sighted baby confronts as he learns to see, which is as much about the organization of the brain, of the myriad connection in the visual cortex and other processing centers that not only learns how to take a bunch of electrochemical signals from the retina and convert them into an image that we see, but also performs a vast amount of categorizing, filtering and the like below the level of consciousness.  For example, a soldier learns to key on motion, so that because of her training, she is more likely to "see" motion because she has learned to filter for motion which equals threat on the battlefield.  In the same way, once we are familiar with an environment, we tend to filter out the objects in that environment and key on differences.  You don't see the sofa, but if there were a bloodstain upon the sofa, you'd see it.

This works much the same way for other senses, including hearing.  So, while the vOICe (a program for the Android operating system that creates "soundscapes, using the phone's camera") is incomprehensible at first, emitting as it does simply a series of tones that vary in vrequency and stereo panning based on light reflections from objects, I suspect that with sufficient time, you would begin to develop a feel for unconsciously using the soundscapes to buid up a feel for what's around you, especially once Peter Meijer can integrate his software with Google Glasses or a similar visual product.

I mention this not as a specific solution, but to point out that while you are used to visual processing, you may not be thinking that problem through with sufficient depth.  Any solution would require training in order to create the processing center in the brain to take the data processing off line so to speak.

I think that in the current culture, to separate employment and independence is a distinction without a difference.  I'm not going to address the moral or ethical issues raised by Dark, Gellman and to a lesser extent Arkmeister concerning whether employment should be a metric for success.  For the moment at any rate, they are, so to achieve independence, you require employment.  I do think that we're moving further and further away from a point where blind people are going to be able to interact with the sighted employment market on its own terms.  Our solutions thus far, things like the Americans with Disabilities Act, have gone some way to make it a little costlier for employers to discriminate, but they haven't eliminated or even come close to eliminating that basic assumption of our incompetence, an assumption that we all too often completly confirm.  The blind and the sighted share responsibility for this problem, the sighted by assuming, contrary to demonstrable evidence that we  can't do xyz, and the blind by relying on our nanny states to fix our lives.

Full disclosure here, i do receive governmental support for the moment.  I am working my everloving ass off to change that reality by owning my own business, because it's just the best way to be employed.  I do enjoy my career, so at least I'm not working in a dark Satanic mill of capitalist despair.
Most of the independence problems listed in the original post are solvable with technology.  In fact, many of them have prototype solutions already in development.  I look forward to purchasing a Google self-driving car in 2017, or as soon as Michigan agrees to license them.  (google is a proxy for whatever other developers get into that market.)  OCR has come a long way and is now ubiquitously available on smart phones that are for the most part accessible to blind/VI people.  These are still rough, but given where we were ten years ago, I fully expect to be able to read a book on par with my sighted counterparts within the next ten years, not using specialized formats, but simply processing a book with my smart phone or other similar device.  The aforementioned vOICe program already will read signs, if you know where they are  enough to point the camera at them.  In fact a mainstream product, Google Goggles does some of this already, as it is part of Google's augmented reality project.

Finally on the subject of employment again, it may be that the entire world will move away from the job as identity model sooner rather than later.  Certain economists have theorized that we have already reached or surpassed "peak employment", that is that the number of jobs will begin decreasing as technical solutions become more and more efficient.  When that happens, when people realize that it's happening, there will be a social revolution.  It could be a very positive thing as people realize that the old way of doing things tied them into a form of bonded servitude with companies replacing feudal lords as the power broker.  People might indeed do as Dark has chosen to do, follow their passions for art, for doing what gets their juices going.  This could be agood thing.

But my heart tells me that we humans don't do that kind of change very well.  It's scary.  You lose your anchor, you don't know where you fit in.  And frankly, not everyone is a genius, an inventor, a musician.  There is a large swath of humanity that rather needs the structure of family and job to tell them who they are.  Take that away from them, and there is chaos.  There will of course also be forces that will be threatened by this, once they realize that the masses are no longer enthralled as their worker bees and that consumption is no longer the religion of the age.  If you think the powerful will stand by and watch as the sand castle of the illusion they use to control the public is washed away in a tide of change without bending every fiber to stop it, well you haven't been watching the U.S. Congress or other democratic institutions very closely.

Sorry, a bit of a philosophical rant where it may be off topic.  Another thing that occurred to me.  Advocating that the blind concentrate on hiring each other, working with each other ignores a simple fact of business as it is done today.  You need money.  And we don't have the money, the sighted folks do, and that discrimination, it works at the loan desk of your bank just as perniciously as in the personnel office of your local employer.  So you'll have to overturn the funding model as well.  That's happening, slowly, see my post about Evil Hat and their phenomenally successful Kickstarter campaign to publish, of all things, a role playing game.  There is a lot of experimentation in the financial marketplace for finding ways to disintermediate funding and those who need it.  This may provide fertile ground for future developments.

I'm grateful that my government has tried to give me a leg up.  I am becoming convinced thatin its current form, that leg up is ultimately unsuccessful over the entire population of blind people.  I can't speak for other disabilities.  This does not mean that I think government is not capable, just that the current iteration of solutions, which is somewhat better than what we had pre-ADA is still not working.  Alas, politics at least here in the States is so broken that trial and error, iteration, assessment mutation, which is the way to make these things work may not be possible.

Ok, sorry, I'll shut up now, since no one wanted War And Peace.

2013-02-12 08:17:14

Scientists are already starting to find new, innovative techniques to wake the visual systems after non-development.
The results are quite surprising. The classical view of the brain is arranged in several main sections, and smaller regions within those section. We got the occipital lobes which control vision, the temporal lobes which record sound and play a role in memorization, when accessed by the hipocampus, we got the parietal lobes which control motor and tactile sensory input and outputs, and we got the frontal lobes, which make us feel human.
According to a study, in blind people we see that their temporal and parietal lobes have a lot more development and a lot of neuron fire active in that are, but in the visual area it is rather quiet, hardly any disturbance. And as you know, the brain is made up of billions of neurons, similar to the number of stars in our universe. Imagine taking the possibility between one neuron. Two neurons have four possibilities. Three neurons have nine possibilities, and four neurons have sixteen possibilities.
Maybe we should focus on finding sensory substitution techniques to awaken the visual workform area, and think of the brain as a task machine, rather than a sensory machine. Tests show that our brains are very flexible in wiring and rewiring itself to other pathways.
Perhaps the use of sensory substitution might be very useful in developing the visual workform area, so that when invasive procedures roll around, the person would not have much of a overwhelming time interpreting the scenes. True, the inptu would be direct rather than indirect, but it would be worth it.
Sometimes, witout actually thinking, our games that we play which involve stereo thre-d panning might be a useful tool in stimulating the visual cortex to tell the difference between left, centre and right. But more work needs to be done.
Pitch and colour are both perceptual concepts, and although both these terms do have mathematical and scientific explanations its true perception can only occur within the animal tha tperceived it. Sir Isaac Newton proved that light itself is colourless, unless it had a way of colour perception. We can say that light itself is a set of frequencies in the middle of the electromagnetic spectrum, to the left, or lwer end is infra-red, and radio waves, and to the right, we have ultraviolet, X-ray, gamma, beta, and alpha. So what if we mapped out this spectrum and turned it into an audible spectrum? After all, our hearing age is somewhat in the middle, because to the right it can go up into infinity, but to the left there is zero.
WE must not talk about the skeptics, but think about the goodness it would be if everything was mathematically perfect. Why in the computer world, RGB are primary, whereas in other context it was some other setting? It has to do with the way the information was presented to the user, and again because of the certain wavelengths in light that play a role in that field.
Now of course, an observation was made where people, such as myself with way above-average perfect pitch and musical aptitude can wire our brain to recognize light in terms of tones and pitches.
Ever since I was little, I knew I had this remarkable ability to distinguish fine note changes, yet I did not know what each note was until a few years later. I had come up with a few theories ever since I

learned of my possible cure for sight, which never happened.
You see, I have light perception, and one of my theories is that light itself is a type of frequency, yet we can fluctuate the frequency to see

coloured light. The question then becomes, if one has light perception, what kind of light can one see? Every time I looked at a light, I heard notes that sounded like hums were being hummed in my head were

A4 A4, A#4 A#4, etc. If you are a proficient music enthusiast, then you will understand these notations. Sometimes I would hear drones that accompanied the notes, which would be in D3 and D#3. Now,

what I noticed was that D3 and A4 are overtone harmonics. After coming across a video called "The Colour of Sound - Documentary", it was revealed that science red, yellow, and green were G, Bb, and C

any octave, but the higher, the better. Can we not therefore say that I might have seen the colour yellow at different hues? That is a definite possibility. Now that was for science scale. They also found that

there is an emotional aspect as well. Certain colours make you have different emotions, and these emotions sometimes can be caused by musical chords and keys. Yellow gives one a feeling of joy, of

excitement, and that is the feel of D-major, which was recognized by Christian Schubert in 1806.
I also have this extraordinary ability to fit certain words with certain musical melodic intervals which may evoke

a specific mood or emotion. It is like one associating a word with a colour, in a sense. Except that I am taking a word, turning it into melodic conjunct intervals, and then turning that into colours. That term is

called chromesthesia, which strictly classifies having this unique ability.
When I was younger, I did not want to tell anyone that I had this interesting ability, because I was not sure if I was the only one who

had it. But after my twelfth grade in high school, when I took an anatomy class, I came upon an article that explained about such phenomenon, and I learned that what they were talking about is indeed what

I was experiencing. Now I must back you up a bit. Two years ago, a friend of mine, Bobbi Blood, came up with this piece called Northern Lights. The piece was based on her perspective by using the mode

that would bridge both major and minor chords in C. She used three glasses made of fine crystal, and she produced a fifth below G5, and a fourth below C5. The sopranino recorder was supposed to be an

ambient texture to the baseline foundation, which were those glasses. The vocal hums were supposed to represent colour changes. It made me think of red, blue, green, and yellow all together, and the

occasional G#4 made me think of orange. When I asked her about it, she told me they were working on converting light frequencies into sound. Then I was so excited because I found someone who had this

unique ability as I did. That was the first person I actually met in 2010 who had the same chromesthetic phenomenal perspective. Now, let me tell you another story. Sometimes when I have major significant

events occur in my life, like a homecoming parade, the morning before I would go to school, I would be standing in front of a mirror, and I would automatically hear a drone in C3, and a hum melodic interval in

G4-G#4, and a holding hum in C5. This was about a year ago. But after I listened to the video, and after doing a whole lot of searching, I came to realize that perhaps I could see colours when I was little,

but since I was still developing consciousness, those colours are therefore locked up in my subconscious mind, and cannot be accessed through normal ways. I never learned to memorize colours the

traditional method, which was to look at shapes and have someone tell me what colour it was. So I had to come up with my associations by using pitch changes in my mind and then express those changes.

And since I have incredible eidetic memory, I can hear these notes very clearly, and I can hear them in my mind, so I can associate them with the right note name and value. Need I mention that my school

colour was crimsoned?
Another story. When I was four, I had this dream where I was in an indoor swimming area, and I was gliding above the ground until I came upon a set of ragged stairs. I started to climb

down, and then I felt the warm-lapping of the water on my knees. When I looked up, I saw that same light, and I heard a drone in D3 and D#3, and the hums were in A4 A4, A#4, A#4, and back again. Then

the texture changed. It was now Bb2+F3, and the hums were F4+C5 F4+C5, G4+D5 G4+D5, and back again. I wonder if I saw the combination yellow purple combination. I did not give that dream much

thought when I woke up. And yet, every time I look outside, when it is daylight, I always hear something in F-major, and a drone in low C. Is it possible I saw the colour blue or green? Also, there was this

time in the summer of 2002, one morning when I was awakened by a leaf blower. For some reason, the blower droned in a pitch of about one hundred twenty-eight cycles per second. It also had high static,

which really made it seem as if I was seeing the colour blue or green, maybe a hint of yellow in my mind. I think it was the fact that my window was open, and I had excellent hearing back then.
Each and

every event that occurred in my life gave me proof that I had an above-average musical aptitude, perfect, absolute, and relative pitch. Why, did you know that for each major there is a relative minor? Well,

out of instinct, I was able to find that the relative minor for F-major was D-minor, and that was only when I was four! Now I did that all by listening. I did not learn my note values until I was like eight or nine.

And I did not start learning music theory principles till I was fifteen or so. But each new concept convinces me that I could literally map out an auditory spectrum with disembodied colours in my mind's eye, and

based on the light perception I have.
Another theory I have, is where we measure the electrical impulse of each colour that is received by the eye, and the electrical impulse that is received by the ear. I know

there has to be some sort of a match, because they both use a different set of frequencies, yet they have some sort of a relevant correlation by using mathematics.
How I came to be interested was based

on another circumstance that happened on Wednesday, April 18th, 2012. You see, if this was never brought up, I could have gone into the web development business or music arrangement, and nothing

would have been done about my true passion. My mother and I  were talking about the possibility of my gaining vision in 1996. At that time, we were in Mexico, and someone told me that it would have been

possible to remove cataracts from my eyes, before my retinas degenerated completely. The reason it was never done to me was because of some kind of objection. When my mum asked me that if someone

ever asked me the question, would I be willing to do so? To my surprise, I said yes. The reason can be very-well be seen. I want to prove that we can associate colours using sound. After that confrontation,

which took place at roughly around one thirty-five in the afternoon, Pacific Daylight Time, I felt that I was defrauded of my rights. But then again, I would not be here on this list if I did have vision a long time

ago. Or maybe I would have, but the period it would have taken would be delayed by an x-number of years. The thing is, I do not want to change history. I want to make history.
So I started working on a

plan. I started working on my own project which focuses on a lot of things. It first focuses on finding a relevant correlation between light and sound, and then making a high-quality sensory substitution

device that will map out anything you wanted to know. This would be a nice temporary method while I look into stem cell, cell, and gene therapy, restorative neurology, and other types of regenerative

medicine. I want to work on a cure for anything we are faced with today. Blindness, deafness, cancer, cerebral palsy, Multiple Sclerosis, Diabetes, and even the regrowth of limbs, bones, ligaments, tendons,

etc. I am so determined to make this happen, that I have developed a one-gigabyte zip archive with a big boatload of information which is very valuable, and which I constantly keep updating. I want to start

opening up my business, called the Multisensory and Motor Research Institute. I want to accommodate to everyone's desires and wishes. If they want to be able to see, but they do not want to have

surgery, we can use sensory substitution devices.
After spending several months contacting universities and doing research, I built this large archive of valuable information and resource.
So, as you can see

by my long history, it has made me into who I want to be later in life.
If you have any more questions about my prolonged history, feel free to ask.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2013-02-12 11:59:58

I must confess violinist I disagree with your point that at present employment and independence are tied together or that reliance upon the state is implicitely a bad thing, since the state does have a duty to it's citizensnot to provide employment, but to provide equality, which is  precisely why I aprove of campeignes such as that guide dogs are running in the Uk at the moment to have auditory announcements on busses made mandetory, and why i have also made governmental recommendations in my thesis.

Then again, I admit I am fairly left wing, I for example am infinitely in favor of the fact that in Britain the state provides health care and education (though the choice to pay for these privately is always open to people who wish).

Of course, this is not to say I approve of people taking as much as possible and giving nothing back to society, but "giving back" and "employment" are not necessarily the same thing, especially when employment does  often mean "dark satanic capitalist mills" as you  so accurately put it. In an ideal world they would be and the government would be involved in insuring that blind people could be employed in jobs they wished to do, and this is the recommendations I've made in my thesis, but withe current combination of prejudice plus capitalism that is not possible unless indeed a person does! start their own business.

however that doesn't say you cannot achieve success in other fields or be usefull in other areas either, it's just a question of difference in value and good budgiting skills.

2013-02-12 16:55:15

Personally violinist, i would love to see the job market be no longer required due to changes in technology. It would wake up the drones and give them purpose, a different type of direction, to follow there soul, to seek new pleasure. Frankly, i grow tired of our robotic society in the sense that we get up, go to work, come home, ignore the wife, blow off the kids and go to bed and do it again in the morning. We need a change that focuses more on personal enjoyment rather than social status or money. Why can't we all just chill out and enjoy life, i feel it's comeing, one day, i hope it happens before i leave this earth.