2006-11-22 02:29:36

Hi.

the other day, my faithful old cube clock decided to give up the ghosts on me. This didn't present a problem as far as telling the time or even having an alarm call goes, sinse I have a very useful talking keyring clock (and I can look on my desk top anyway for the time).

The one function of my cube clock I really do miss though, is the announce every hour mode.

I do various things, such as writing, interactive fiction, playing games of various sorts and generally reading stuff (either books, or internet research on topics that interest me, like the history of computers or the chemistry of coffee).

anyway, all of these sorts of things are incredibly absorbing, and over the past few nights, I've managed to get myself totally tied up in projects to such an extent that I've ended up missing lots of sleep and been incredibly knackered the next day as a consequence.

And when I say missing sleep, we're talking about me not realizing the time from ten one night to six the next morning!

this is why having hourly time checks is so important for me.

It ddid occur to me, that there is probably a talking clock esque program out there, or maybe I can persuade windows to pop up messages every hour?

I did locate one program, called "Steve's talking clock" but this appeared to cost ten dollars, and had lots of features that I wouldn't really be bothered about, such as changing the voice of the clock, and even being able to get a different voice to automatically announce the time every 15 minutes. Personally though, hourly announcements would be enough for my purposes, and this is one situation where I really don't care about voice quality, ----- though one with westminster chimes wwould be sort of cool.

So, does anyone know either if there's a free talking clock program available somewhere, or if it's possible to get windows to alert you every hou?

A friend of mine says outlook will do this type of thing, but everytime I start up outlook, it wants to configure itself to be my default E-mail program, and sinse outlook express is already set up to use all the tortuous university E-mail malarchy, I really don't want to go messing about with it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-11-22 05:21:31

Hi
I think there's one from APH that's free. Another one that is free is from BSC. One that isn't free is also from BSC. You can go to:
http://sun1.aph.org/tech/tc_info.htm
for the APH clock. For BSC, you can go to:
http://www.blindsoftware.com/program_detail.asp?id=33
for the paid clock and for the free one it is:
http://www.blindsoftware.com/program_detail.asp?id=6
Hope this helps.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-11-22 12:26:24

I don't know if Outlook has the function, I'll have to check, but if you do want to use it there should be an option to stop it checking whether it's the default for email.

If you did want to use it for email however Outlook can generally import settings directly from Outlook Express I believe.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-11-23 00:09:45

Tar for the links game Man. Actually, if the clock from Bsc can actually emulate the sound of big ben every hour, I might even considder buying the thing.

As to outlook Cx2, it's just not a program I've really looked into using, sinse a lot of it's functions aren't really things I'd use much. The one interesting thing apparently the program can do though, is be used as a task scheduling program to make various things in windows be done at various times. this always rather confuses me, sinse I don't really see what it has to do with E-mail, but it could be handy all the same, maybe iof the task scheduling is something outlook does, I should considder switching default E-mail programs as well.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-11-23 19:33:12

Hi,
There used to be a program called GTC Clock from:
http://www.gtconline.us
The website might be down. If it is, add me to MSN or email me using the email link on my profile. I have a question:
Where can I get the cube clock?