2013-01-23 02:33:04

Hi all,

Well, I've been playing guitar for a number of years now, and for the longest time I've been relying on someone else to string it.  I was wondering if anyone here knew how to string a guitar, and if so, any way possible to learn how to do so?  I imagine it can't be too hard, we've figured out many things before.  I'm sure stringing a guitar is in the archive of things we've accomplished.

Any help gladly appreciated,

Best Regards,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2013-01-23 04:43:28

I've been playing guitar for about 10 years myself, ever since I was 9. How to string a guitar depends on what you have... let me know what kind of guitar you have and I will try and help.

Discord: clemchowder633

2013-01-23 08:18:22

Luke, stringing a guitar isn't too hard. The next time you need to string your guitar you should have the person show you how he or she does it. All the same there isn't much to it.

Basically, you string a guitar one string at a time. Let's say you start with the first string, the high e string, replace that string, tune it, and then move onto the b string, and so forth. Once you have replaced all six strings let it set a day or two, check your tuning, retune if necessary, and then use a pair of wire cutters to trim off the extra length of strings you don't need. That's basically the process in a nutshell.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2013-01-23 09:03:51

Tom you do it slightly differently than I do. I tend to cut the wires as soon as the strings are firmly in place and I'm sure there's extra I don't need. But I think what he was saying was how to actuallywind the strings, and actually replace the strings. That can be a bit more tricky, if you don't know how to do it I think. Especially on a classical guitar. haha

2013-01-23 11:57:22

Assault Freak, well, I generally let my guitar set a day or two before trimming the strings simply so I know the strings will  stretch and can be tuned to the proper pitch before I snip off the unneeded length of string. I've seen plenty of guitar players who do the trimming right away and I guess it doesn't matter when a person trims them, but I try to be on the safe side.

Anyway, I guess I hadn't thought Luke's problem might be more basic such as how to wind the strings.  I suppose I took that part for granted. big_smile

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2013-01-23 13:53:32

I would like to know as well, i have been relying on a local guitar tech for years which, is fine, but i always wanted to know how he did it.

2013-01-23 20:16:55

Hi everyone.
Well putting strings on a guitar is not to hard it just depends on what kind of guitar you have
If you have a standard steel string guitar all you have to do is thread the strings through the tuning pegs.
The way I remember it is that the top of the string is pointed and goes at the head of the guitar and the bottom of the string always has a small circle on the bottom so it goes at the bottom of the guitar.
Guitarman

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2013-01-23 21:33:19

I am no guitar player, I am a keyboardist, so I hope I am not asking a stupid question. My grampa, when stringing his guitar, always put all the strings on before he tuned them. He never cared about what pitch he tuned them, for instance, one time his e string was actually a c. So after this first tuning he would trim them, and then the next day he'd retune the strings and ended up tuning them maybe a half step higher, and trimming them again, and at that point the strings would hold out pretty well and the tuning would stay there for months. Of course he would make tiny adjustments as needed but nothing drastic would happen to the overall tuning.
He doesn't play with anyone, just by himself for fun, so he can tune the strings to whatever pitch he wants, but they were always quite flat compared to normal concert pitch. One time he tried to teach me guitar, and after he put strings on my guitar, I tried to tune it to concert pitch and he was afraid I would break the strings because I was tuning them much higher than he normally would. So I ended up keeping them flat like he did. I understand there are different guitar tunings but he was an amature and wouldn't know a thing about those. So, are there actually certain types of strings that are meant to be tuned flat, or are most strings meant to hold perfectly fine at their correct pitches?

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2013-01-23 23:13:41

On a steel string or an electric the thicker strings can be tuned lower. I have 12-s on my electric and 13-s on my acoustic and both of them are always tuned down a whole step. Gives deeper and richer sound to my guitar and to my style of playing.

2013-01-24 00:00:46

All depends on style, raygrote. Metal players like to tune their strings lower, for a heavier, more grating sound especially with distortion on. You can use thicker strings or the standard ones, it doesn't matter. But someone like me, who likes a brighter sound, will tend to use thinner strings because at least to me,  love that clearer, almost more tinny sound especially when a setof strings are newly put on for the first time. And I play things like classic rock, christian praise and worship, pop and country, so I don't need the heavier strings that people who do harder styles would generally use. But on my electric I do tend to tune lower sometimes just to play on a lower tuning for fun and mess around with distortion and some metal that I actually don't mind.
Guitarman, I think you forgot about winding the strings first. lol Unless tat isn't how you do it. I always wind my strings around the tuning peg first, then pull it through to tighten the wind just so they don't come loose. Then I tune them. And tward guess you do have a point of letting them set first before trimming. I just never found it made a difference. lol

2013-01-24 00:55:00

Hmmm, good insite on this.

I have a Fender acoustic, plus a Flying V BC Rich electric that severely needs tuned.

One problem I'm having with my electric is the intonation.  For example, the higher I go on the fret board, the more out of tune the strings are.  This is very annoying when playing lead solos.

Best Regards,

Luke

2013-01-24 00:55:45

i'm a pianist and i do create music with my keyboard and workstations, but i've started to learn playing the guitar just this year.
so guys, can you play the guitar with a pick too? or  we (as we i mean blind people) should play it  with our fingers -always.
by that i mean your right hand.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2013-01-24 00:59:34

Hey there,

I use a pic a majority of the time.  If I'm playing let's say, strings 1 and 4 at once, and I want to only play those two strings, I would use my fingers.

I'm more in to heavier rock, like EVH, so of course using fingers isn't always the best.

Best Regards,

Luke

2013-01-24 02:02:10

luke
sorry for asking this question into your topic anyway~
i seem to  mostly fumble around and  not cleanely hit the right string with the pic...
i wonder that if there's a way to improov at this?
practice, perhaps.

2013-01-24 02:04:47

Lol, well you just answered your own question! smile

Practice is essential, no matter what.  I myself am still struggling to hit the correct string at times, although mainly with songs that are much faster pace than normal.

If any are interested, I did develop audio tutorials on techniques I use when playing guitar and keyboard (piano).

Best Regards,

Luke

2013-01-24 02:12:50

I've been playing guitar for a bit now; I know a couple cords, and can make up stuff, and strum it good, but, I'm trying to get used to maybe trying to figure out playing just single strings, and trying to actually learn songs. I find that all the times I've tried to learn a song on the guitar, I'd practice it wrong, and mess up the beat alot. Does anybody have this problem, or have tips for playing it?

Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are hummbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.

2013-01-24 02:33:34

Truth is... you can practice songs with small tweeks to your own style too. The songs don't have to be exactly like the original when you play them. Especially with lead guitar.
And Hadi... playing with a pick or your fingers only has nothing to do with being blind... that completely depends on the style. and you were right about learning how to hit notes more accurately. Practice is key!
Luke... sounds like the fender has some problems up on the bridge. Bring it into a sho to check.. I use to have a fender with the same problem. Something to do with the tention that is on the bridge.. which is adjustable. But I never figured it out myself. lol

2013-01-24 05:39:45

Hi hadi.
Practicing with a pick is a good idea. I've noticed that playing with a pick makes music sound clearer.
Finger picking is good for some songs and not others for example the song stairway to heaven is played most of the time by finger picking.
Using a pick does take a lot of practice. I do recommend trying both styles just for the experience.
BTW I would be very interested in audio guitar tutorials.
Guitarman

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2013-01-24 10:45:38

Hadi, weather you finger pick or use a guitar pick really depends on the style of music and in many cases the song itself. There are a number of songs where you may need to finger pick the strings, and there are other songs that require a guitar pick to play. So my advice is to be come familiar with doing both.

For example, if you are into hard rock, metal, etc you'll need a guitar pick to play the leads. Certain legendary guitar players such as Van Halen use a guitar pick playing several notes in a row with a quick down, up, down, up, down up progression. Finger picking can't give you the rapid down up picking required for sustained rock guitar leads. Which brings me to the other thing I want to say.

If you are fumbling around and not hitting the right string then you are giving your hand far too much motion. Generally you should have your wrist resting against the bridge of your guitar and only slightly flick your hand up and down to strum or pick strings. It sounds to me like you are not grounding your wrist and letting your whole arm move which is not necessary or desirable when playing guitar.

The best suggestion I can give is this. First, wrest your wrist against the bridge and just flick your wrist or hand up and down in order to strum or pick notes. Second, practice your scales while picking down on the first note, pick up on the second note, pick down on the third note, and so on. The basic idea here is your pick shouldn't go more than an an inch or two passed the string before you reverse direction and pick the next note in sequence. Doing this will help you pick better and eventually will help you learn how to do rock guitar licks too.

Ray, tuning largely depends on several factors. Generally, a guitar is tuned to the key of e, since that is the primary key for a guitar, but as has been mentioned a person can tune it down a step or so to get a more metal or grungier pitch for metal. If playing with a piano or keyboard the guitar might need to be tuned to the key of c since its much easier to retune the guitar rather than the piano. Then, there are cases where the guitar needs to be retuned for a certain song or band as some songs are not played in the key of e.

For example, the Rolling Stones largely play their songs in the key of g. Many of their hits such as Brown Sugar and Start Me Up require that the guitar player tune his/her guitar to the key of g, and then the chords used will sound just like the album. That's because Keith Richards tunes his guitar to g, and as a result most of the Stones hits have the same chords but played using alternative tuning which makes it hard to learn them by ear unless you get use to how the band does things.

I guess the point I want to make is that tuning is largely up to the player. Standard tuning is standard tuning and is generally great for a new or first time player, but eventually they may like to experiment with alternative tuning, different cording, and experiment with different styles if they want to have a more than average knowledge of the instrument at hand. big_smile

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2013-01-24 15:35:34

Do you have any tips for tuning a guitar by ear, and playing around with various tunings? A friend of mine listens to Tool alot, and they do their tuning differently. I've been listening to some metal as of lately, Iron Maiden, and stuff like that, and find myself loving it.
All the times I try to learn how to actually play a song, I end up messing it up, so, I've resorted to just taking the cords I know and making stuff up. It almost comes out as hispanicy, not flamenko guitar, but, a hispanicy feel to it, if you know what I mean.
E minor and A minor are fun, I like they way those sound with a standard tuning

Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are hummbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.

2013-01-24 15:54:42

hello
well, first of all it's good to hear that you guys can play guitar with pics too...  lol i thought that could be impossible.
Tom, you're kinda right. i manuver my right hand alot, maybe that's one of the reasons which i can't  acurately hit the notes.
i'll try to practice, then. to be honest my practice rate is 1 hour at a week.
anyway, how do you guys try to play a note of a music? in piano, i can easily figure things out and play a music once i listen to it.
but in guitar, i bearly have idea where to start and which note is better to start.
well, this leads to another question--- can we use tabletures? with jaws, i have tried some and they seem too hard.
sighted people can easily play everything with tabs,....
googling showed me a project which is incomplete and i guess abandoned,
http://code.google.com/p/lunartabspro/
these days i don't have alot time for guitar classes and i wonder that can you achieve some experience without  going to classes and such.

2013-01-24 16:12:18

Agree with Tward about everything he said! And Hadi... it's efinitely possible to get experience without going to classes. In the ten years I've been playing, I've been to class for about a months' time. I just found it better to learn o my own.

2013-01-24 16:45:00

Mord-Sith, when it comes to alternative tunings this is where your scales and cord theory comes in handy. If you don't already know this then you'll need to learn more about the notes that make up a certain scale and/or cord in order to tune your guitar to a different key.

For example, the notes that make up an open e on a guitar are e, a, d, g, b, and e. However, if you want to tune your guitar to the key of g like the Rolling Stones you would simply tune a few strings up to the key of g. That would make it g, b, d, g, b, and g when the strings are played openly.Basically, the same notes that are found in a standard g cord. Just tuning the e string to g, a string to b, and high e string to g you've effectively tuned the guitar from the key of e to the key of g. Make sense?

Once you understand what notes make up a certain cord or a certain scale then its easy to experiment with alternative tuning and using alternative cording for that key. If you don't know your scales and cord theory well then you would be better off sticking with standard tuning in the key of e until you learn it.

As far as tuning by ear I use a pitch pipe for initial tuning so I can tune my guitar to standard pitch and make sure I get a clean e, a, d, g, b, e notes for an open e. After that I can tune up or down if desired for alternative tuning but I always use standard tuning for a baseline to start with. To do that you need a pitch pipe or similar to help you find the correct pitch for each string.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive

2013-01-24 17:41:01

As for stringing a guitar I never learned how to do this. I've been playing for about ten years, though I'm still not that good. I have trouble establishing a steady rhythm and then changing from chord to chord. Of course I don't currently have a guitar since my now x girlfriend's financial irresponsibility forced me to pawn it as well as some of my favorite movies. But that same irresponsibility also meant that I don't even have money to get that stuff back. And that was a damn good guitar for it being used at the time I bought it. It was a Yamaha acoustic with amazing sound. But I'll have to save up for another one. As for fingering versus picking I agree with what's been said. I think it depends on what style of music you're playing and then on the song. I love Irish and Scottish Folk music and I imagine a lot of that's done with fingering. And while I definitely couldhave fun playing some of the rock I listen to I'm particularly interested in playing the Irish and Scottish Folk. I'm thinking what I may do is get a combination electric/acoustic guitar so I have both in one.Then I can get an amplifier later if I want one.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2013-01-24 20:15:48

Hi everyone.
Bryan, you probably already know this. Just in case you don't you don't need to buy a whole new guitar.
If you can get your guitar back you can go to a music store and have them put a pick-up on your guitar.
As for reading braille music or reading music with JAWS I have never been able to do that. One thing I do is listen to lessons on youtube.
This is difficult at times because not all of the people who do lessons will not describe what they are doing.
I have been considering doing guitar tutorials for a while now. I would do beginner lessons as well as advanced techniques.
If I did this would anybody be interested?
Guitarman

Guitarman.