2012-12-13 11:45:49

Hi,
So I stumbled upon this one thanks to Dakota from the audyssey list.
This is ErnCon, developed by a company called Woo Games, and it's free to play.
It sort of combines asteroids with some social features, such as multiplayer missions and ship upgrades.
Now, the interesting thing is this. Voiceover can actually get by with the game's interface pretty well, but there are a couple of unlabeled buttons that are sort of continue buttons, especially in the beginning of the tutorial where you pick your vehicle.
Apart from that the interface works nicely, with all the missions being read out. You'll have to flick around a bit.
In actual gameplay you have to turn VO off, and it's still basically firing blind, because while the guns and such are in stereo, there aren't any movement sounds. It seems to be a joystick that's used to controle the ship in four different directions, then a fire button on the right, with weapons such as homing missiles just above.
Speaking of weapons, there are many, from the usual rockets and homing missiles, to unlockable mines, an em pulse, and even a controled explosion called Sunburst which isn't available until level 10.
There is a survival mode which pits wave after wave of enemies against you, and various missions that are drop-in, drop out. I don't know how to activate multiplayer yet. My theory is this: let's say me and pitermach want to do a mission. I'd choose it, and then I'd start it. He'd then go into the game then choose the same mission, and then he'd end up joining me. I'm also guessing you can do a thing where I'd pick the mission, he picks it too, and then I'd choose start to warp us both into it.
The missions are time-based affairs, seeing how long you can survive against asteroids, fighters, stopping enemies from escaping, battling destroyers with cannons, and an epic fleet battle, plus probably more that I haven't unlocked yet.
The missions are level-based, not completion based. So the game sort of becomes a grind fest to level up and unlock more stuff.
The developer is open to suggestions, I just wish that he'd join this forum so we can discuss with him. I'm tempted to post the e-mail address but then I'm worried about spammers grabbing a hold of it, or the dev feeling too overwelmed. I'm actually yet to contact him myself as I want to unlock some more stuff first.
Regards,
Aaron

2012-12-13 12:26:18

Hi.
Sounds really interesting. I don't have much time to check out this game, but might do that in next  week when I have christmas holliday. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-12-14 02:18:45

so wait, how accessible is gamelpay

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2012-12-14 09:53:38

Okay, first I got really confused then an other Arron just asked how accessible the gameplay is. Lol.
I think that's described in the first post? Or am I just reading things which has never been written? smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2012-12-14 12:57:48

hi,
is it possible to have an audio demo?
the game sounds very cool...

2012-12-14 13:39:33

hahahaha, I completely forgot about the fact that both of us were aarons!

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2012-12-14 14:14:29

Hi,
Well I'm still trying to figure things out. I am still not very sure how to move my craft about so I'm seriously firing blind. The fact that this game doesn't have any engine sounds at all is slightly annoying because I've got no idea where I am or anyhting, and I think an engine sound would seriously help matters.

2012-12-14 18:06:52

Well, while I was also intreagued by dekotah's description of the game, I'm a little put off if there is actually no way to get access to the  information about where your going, where the enemies area etc, that just turns the game into a guess match.

I'm hoping though dekotah can provide some more information on this, sinse if he is stating the game is accessible I'm assuming there are more ways to play it than just by hammering buttons and hoping.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-12-16 04:15:58

I downloaded the game, but not sure how gameplay actually works.  From your post, it seems the joy stick is on the bottom of the screen, and the firing button is on the right?

Best Regards,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2012-12-16 14:59:22

yes, the joystick is on the bottom left and the firing is on the bottom right with the other weapons just above. 
i'm actually finding navigating alright at the moment, not easy but doable.

2012-12-16 20:17:08

Hmmm,

So, from what I've read, firing at the enemy ships is the part that's difficult?  As far as weapons go, how do you know what weapon you've selected, or do you just click the weapon you want to use and it fires without you actually selecting it?

Hope that made sense...

Best Regards,

Luke

2012-12-18 01:38:29 (edited by Mord-Sith 2012-12-18 01:40:07)

This game sounds cool, I may be getting an iphone for christmas; where can I download it?
Also: when you say this game is like asteroids, do you mean the old galaga game, where you fight wave after wave of alian ships, trying to rack up points? or is there an actual objective and such in this one?

Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are hummbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.

2012-12-18 09:33:20

You can simply get it from the app store.

Best regards SLJ.

2012-12-18 15:47:58

Hi there. I just looked at this game myself. I think Aaron summed it up pretty nicely. I'm also finding the audio stuttery issue with voiceover turned on a little annoying too. But maybe I'm just complaining. I still don't exactly know how to move, and how to tell if I'm actually hitting something. I somehow completed a mission, leveled up and collected a few jems. lol.

2012-12-18 19:48:05

I actually just let the mission play out, without me doing anything at all.

What's interesting is that after it is finished, I get a message saying "Great job on your first mission", or something along those lines...Not sure what's up with that.

Best Regards,

Luke

2013-02-18 06:01:18

hmm sounds fun, might go check it out

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2013-03-15 10:07:46

Ahoy there
I totally missed this topic with all that was going at the time it was posted. anyhow, I shall download the game and see how stuff gos.
So if I am getting it right, you have a joystick on the screan,through which you move the ship?
And from what I have read above,along with the topic subject,if the developer is willing,it could indeed be made more accessible,or at least more playable. instead of guessing,engine sounds could be added,so that we'd at least know that we were moveing. and if the developer were to go as far as that,some sort of a ping or what you will to let us know that a fireing solution was possible. I haven't tryed this yet,though. just suggesting going by the posts I have read above.
Grryfindore.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2013-04-08 18:54:42

hi, I hope this game will be available on android as well. with accessibility, of course!

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2013-06-04 16:22:15

Heya. I've been looking for a space combat real time game for a loooooong damn time. tongue
This looks quite interesting. I'll get it once I got time and I'll try it right away. Maybe, if the developer added a different engine sound for your bird and the boohies, and maybe a locking ping thing like in tdv or heli, well uh, that'd be great! big_smile
Let's see what I can do!

A fight we cannot lose.
An enemy we cannot defeat.
A destiny we cannot escape.
Follow me on twitter @guilevi2000

2013-06-04 18:01:10

HMM, weird. I searched for ErnCon in the AppStore with my iPad Mini and it says there're no results at all... anyone experienced this before?

A fight we cannot lose.
An enemy we cannot defeat.
A destiny we cannot escape.
Follow me on twitter @guilevi2000

2013-06-29 12:41:13

I did. I can't find it at all and i typed
ErnCon.
and then I tryed the cumpany name and typed.
woo games.
but no luck help please.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2013-07-01 11:29:41

may be it's not available at your country.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2013-07-01 21:23:57

gur'r'r'... I hate all this stuff about other app stores.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.