2006-10-25 22:55:14

well, today I fancied playing a game boo, but unfortunately the Projectaon site that hosts my favourite Lone wolf series was down, so I went on a hunt for game books.

I came across this site, The chronicals of Arborell, and I can only say wow!

the world is huge, with more history and info than you can shake a wizard's staff at, and the writing style is great! it's even fun to read about your charactor's grizly death, just for the descriptions, I was even impressed by the way the book describes the very standard fantasy troll-esque and orc-esque creatures.

Also, the focus of the gamebooks seems to be very heavy on exploration, with some lovely descriptions of the locations and wonderful details about your journey that are extremely rare in amiter fantasy game books.

any fans of Sryth, the books on the Ff project site,----- or anyone who just likes fantasy in general I'd strongly advise to try the chronicals of arborell out:

http://www.arborell.com/

Oh yeah, this might also be handy for people who have slow or dodgy online connections and so can't get to play games like Sryth, sinse you can download the books, open them with internet explorer and get all the bennifits of the links and such that you would with the online versions (which you can't do on the ff project site).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-10-26 21:19:42

good call dark, i've started the game and i am now up to the point in the text where they fit a steel ring round your throat that will kill you if you cock up the mission.
i've been reading intentely and this sounds like my kinda game.
thx for the info
best reg

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-10-27 07:31:17

I thought it might appeal to you Archer. I've been a bit taken up with auditions and musical related stuff at the moment, so I've only got to try Win hammer a few times (and sinse I'm playing strictly, without any saves, it'll probably take me a while to complete the game.

I am also though reading the Song of Dromannian, which I must say is equally as impressive as the gamebooks, full of good writing (even when read using orpheus), some great plot, and some very interesting background stuff about the peoples in Wind Hammer like the Dwarvendim and Kalboreans and such.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-10-28 00:30:20

sorry about the double reply here, but I've just got an E-mail from the Arborell developer. Among other things, he says that reading "The song of Dromannian" first is probably a good plan, sinse it explains the origins of the peoples, magic and such. also, I asked him if it might be possible for him to write up the Arborell time line and the flow chart showing how the books relate to each other in a text copy so that it's actually readable by screen readers, and he says it'll be up in a couple of days, the nice chap that he is.

Once again, if people haven't tried it yet, http://www.arborell.com/

is the place to go.