2012-12-04 02:02:02

We've released our brand new puzzle audiogame!
Music Puzzle is the audiogame version of the popular jigsaw puzzle in which instead of rearranging a picture you'll have to rebuild a song!

Head to the Music Puzzle page and try the Lite edition!

Audiogames developer @ http://www.shardworkshop.com

2012-12-04 02:52:47

Some questions and a bug report.

What order do the ribbons appear in, that is is ribbon 1 on the top or bottom of the board?

Also, every time I attempt to load a saved game, MPL is crashing to a not responding state.  I'm running XP on an Acer netbook, but the new game and game play pieces appear to work with the hardware I have.

I'd personally wish you could add flac as this is the majority of my music collection.

2012-12-04 06:56:07

That, my good sir, was a nice report. It is now fixed (you may download the game again if you wish), and we added a sound for when you pick up or lay down a piece.

When you start the game you are on the second ribbon, the one with all the pieces. If you go one step up there is the first one, the one in which you should put the ordered pieces. So the first ribbon is the one on the top wink

For other file formats it is very unlikely that they will be added, because of the external audio library we've used, sorry.

2012-12-04 10:48:56

Hi.
Interesting and fun game.
I mostly like self-voiced games, but in this case, I think it would be nice to have a text version as well. There are not much speech in the game, and you have to use your screenreader to locate your music file as well. When it comes to translating the game, I find it easier to translate text than recordings, but that's a personal thing. smile
I don't know if that's a bug, but it would be nice if the game informs you that your objective is completed when you do so, instead just closing the game without any message. My game just started to play the song which is pretty long and which I've heard 100 times, so I interrupted it by pressing enter, and wandered what the heck happened to the game. I fyred up my screenreader just to notice that the game has shutted down.
I haven't fully got used to how the game works yet with all keystrokes, but I like it so far. I would just give some quick feedback.
And, by the way, you should correct the misspelled word "languagepack" in section 6 about modding the game in the manual. smile
Keep up the good work man.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-12-04 12:10:50

Hi.

I really like the idea of this game, but I'm afraid I'm finding it not to be exactly successfull in it's execution,  sinse I frequently don't know where I am or what I'm doing, and am hitting arrow keys with nothing happening. i think this is because  there is little to  no information where you  are on the actual  board, and with a 5x5 grid rather than just an upper and lower row, it's possible to go off to the wrong place.

so to begin with, I here the start of a song, I hit the spacebar to pick it up, but I have no idea where to actually put it, indeed when I moved it it didn't seem in the right place. Then when I moved the second peace, the first peace seemed to vanish.

i really think some   more spoken or sound kews are needed for where you are on each ribbon  and what your doing, indeed having 5 ribbons seems needlessly complicated to me, particularly sinse it often seems that pressing the arrows just randomly plays bits of music and I'm never sure whether I've moved or not.

I'd therefore suggest the following features be added:

1: movement sounds for when you move around the board, when your at the start and end of a ribbon etc, sinse right now I often end up pressing the keys and am not sure what is happening, and navigating such a potentially large grid with no help at all really isn't easy for someone like myself who doesn't have the world's best sense of spacial logic, ---- again why I would prefer two rows instead of a full grid of ribbons.

2:  vocal kews for telling you what ribbon your on.

3: a "where am  I" key to tell you the ribbon and  cell position, ---- again much easier for working out a spacial order of peaces.

Of course, all these options could be toggled for those who want, indeed you might considder  adding some sort of options menue for doing this if you are going to add those sort of kews to the game.

sorry to be a little negative,  but I hope these features could be added to the game as they would seriously stop people's confusion and   let people concentrate on working out the puzzle, not the  spacial grid position.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-12-04 12:34:17

Hi.
I just tried this game and i really like it.
It is very fun to play and very affortable as others said.
However i have got some suggestions.
I think it would be nice if we could hear the number of rebbon we are as we move up and down with the arrow keys.
Also it would be nice if we could hear a small click as we move with the arrow keys because if something is empty we hear nothing.
I understand that some people might like the game the way it is now so if you decide to impliment these suggestions they could be optional so people can modify the game as they wish.
Thanks
Nikos

Visit www.freesound.org/people/NikosDemetriou/sounds/ to hear some of my recordings.

2012-12-04 13:01:22

One more suggestion that i forgot to type in my previous message.
It would be nice if the program could remember the last visited folder.
And finally the program seams to give me the same score every time. I don't know if this is another limitation of the light version.
Nikos

Visit www.freesound.org/people/NikosDemetriou/sounds/ to hear some of my recordings.

2012-12-04 14:51:25

Hi everyone. Thanks for the very usefull feedback. You have a lot of nice suggestions here, and we're surely going to implement some of them.

We'll update the Lite version as soon as possibile, and release a patch to add these little things to the full version, so if you have other concerns feel free to tell!

2012-12-04 16:00:23

Man, the spanish voice is yours? I mean, I've played the game in english, then swiched to spanish and got really amazed, cuzz the spanish translation   is very awesome. that's my first language, and I'm sure most spanish speakers will love this game

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. he gives to the human being complete joy and happyness. Why don't you receive him today?

2012-12-04 18:50:55

Hi.
Dark: You have to know that the first row plays the song as you have placed the parts below. That result in playing the whole song when selecting the first row. Therefore, it works it you press the down arrow, and then the left and right arrows to switch between the parts. I didn't got that then I read the manual, but it might just have been me who didn't paied enough attention. smile

I have a suggestion: I assume this game is not only for geeks and people who know how to change configuration files etc. So I highly recommend that the options and language can be set in the games menu instead of changing a configuration file. I find this to be easy, but I do know lots of people who don't. smile
Unlockables and more game modes would be nice in the full version. I'm sorry to say that, but I don't feel like paying for a game, just to be able to split a song up in more than 10 parts. smile
Keep up the good work.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2012-12-04 19:59:32

@Andy93
Well I'm flattered, thank you. The text translation is not mine, but the voice is. Those are probably some of the first Spanish words from my mouth.

@SLJ
We are aware that the ini solution is a bit peculiar, but it's well documented in the manual. Anyway, we're experimenting: if too many people will report problems with that system we'll correct our aim wink

@Everyone
We have updated the setup file for both the lite and full version and have added some of the community suggestions: pressing N will now tell you which ribbon you're riding, reaching the start or end of the ribbon will result in a click sound, and there is now an option in the Config.ini that lets you change the number of ribbons (2, 3, 4 or the default five)!

2012-12-04 23:56:39 (edited by Chris 2012-12-05 00:00:24)

Hi.

This game does not work for me.
I'm using windows xp professional but when i attempt to start the game, I get a dialogue box that says music puzzle and just has an ok button. When i press enter on this, the program closes and i'm returned to the desktop. Why is this?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2012-12-05 00:48:05

Hi Chris, we need something more to work with. This is the first report of the kind. Can you give us some details?

2012-12-05 03:57:49

Your idea for a game has some potential, certainly more potential than the majority of playground BGT output from this forum, but the execution is flawed.  I would politely suggest that, as all good programmers should do from time to time, you revisit your plan for how the game should work, and if you don't have one, draw one up and then rewrite your code based on it.

As a rule of thumb, if your game has bugs that make it unplayable when it reaches its target audience, you're not ready to charge for the product and you haven't done enough testing.  Nobody in their right mind is going to pay to unlock the premium version when the free one is riddled with bugs, and by the sounds of it you maintain the code for the free and premium versions separately.  That's inefficient and will lead to code fragmentation in the long run.

As an example, I'm trying to run the game on  Windows XP, and the following (huge) list of errors pops up every time I attempt to pick up a piece.
for object probe:

Error in code at line 20:
           else if (global.selectedPiece.dimension == 1 && tempInstance.dimension == 1)

at position 40: Unknown variable dimension

for object probe:

for object probe:

for object probe:

Error in code at line 55:
       {   asd = collision_rectangle(x+1,y,x+global.selectedPiece.dimension*31,y+32,piece,0,1);

at position 65: Unknown variable dimension

for object probe:

for object probe:

for object probe:

for object probe:

for object probe:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Believe it or not, in a past incarnation, I was Alexander the Great's chief eunuch.

2012-12-05 10:13:47

@laurenso, the changes isound nice, I'll be glad to look over the  game though right now I need to run off (actually to my spoken italian lesson as it happens!).

@james, your comments about "the majority of playground games from this forum" are not appreciated.

It is true that people experimenting with bgt do post practice games which are often naturally simplistic in nature simply because they are! practice games. such games however do not in any sense represent this forum or community, and when, according to the db guidelines (which you can find in the new releases room as a sticky topic), a game is!  of sufficient quality to be of interest to the wider community,  news and a db page are created, but if not, not,sinse practice games are just that, practice!

Remember, on this forum we have people with different ranges of experiences in programming as well as gamers, sinse this forum does not just! serve as a developement platform. thus our  members go from people  working on their first projects, to experienced developers like Aprone, and indeed lorenso, and if you don't want to play practice games, the solution is simple, just play those games that are completely enough to get db pages and news coverage.

I hope this clears up the matter, sinse when developers like Lorenso are working hard on creating games, not to mention developers using bgt to create some quite astounding projects such as  Gorthalen's games, then such remarks as yours are not appreciated.

Even for those who do! create practice games,  heaping them with scorn is hardly likely to encourage them to perfect their skills and create more games in the future, ---- remember that Philip Bennifall, Rs games and many others started with very simple projects too.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-12-05 14:28:52

@jamesscholes
Expecting a bug-free software is a dream, unfortunately, and the professionalism of the company is made by the support after the  release: if the user finds a bug, we always do our best to solve it.

Testing the game over all the possibile configuration is, again, not possibile. People have bought the game and are having great fun with it.

About the problem. Nobody has reported a bug like that, and we've tested it again on a XP machine just to be sure. So it's either a problem with your configuration or a very rare bug that happens when you do something peculiar.
In either case I suggest you to download the setup again, uninstal Music Puzzle Lite, be sure that there are no file left back in the folder, and install the software again, without changing directories, option, etc.

If the problem persist tell us your system specifications, and exactly what you are doing when those errors come up.

2012-12-05 15:46:08

Hi! The game is great, im running windows xp and its working as expected, however there's a problem with some songs in mp3, it simple wont work, would it help if I send you some songs? I understand that it's hard to support many formates, but if mp3 works all the songs should in my understanding.
I have to agree with dark regarding games posted here, I'm not a programmer but I just imagine how frustrating and hard it is to create a game with a challenging ai, free of bugs, etc. keep up the good work, it would be nice if this game was available for ios.. Also another suggestion is to allow a folder to be played, so you could have some small mp3s of piano/ guitar / drums, etc and you would have to put them I'm In order, and setting a time limit would be interesting. I've read the emails In the audyssey list and it would be less confusing if the first row had all the pieces and you could use the second one to rearrange the song, maybe it could be configured as well, not sure if it would be hard to implement..

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2012-12-05 15:57:42

Thanks for the compliments!

For the song, yes, try to send us one of the songs at infoATshardworkshop.com. All the different mp3 we've tried worked, but with all the encoders out there I'm sure that something can go wrong.

For the first or second row we'll se. Right now we believe that having to rebuild the song on the "main" row, the first, is more reasonable, because rearranging is the  "main" thing you do, while on your side you have "the box" of pieces. In addition I'm sure that it takes little to no time to get used to this thing. Anyway we'll see how it goes!

2012-12-05 18:03:25

DRG, we've tried the song and it's not playing indeed.
We have played around with the file formats and it appears that the song has some particular metadata written inside. Re-encoding, or also resaving without metadata solves the problem.
MP3s are not all the same: encoding technology, encoding algorithm, metadata, metadata encoding (unicode or not), bitrate etc. all make each the MP3 file different.

In addition sometimes just a bit of the tags, or metadata etc. gets corrupted, and while some players will still play the song, some others (or other softwares that do different things with the song instead of just playing it) may not.

Unfortunately the library that manages the files is not our work so there's not much we can do.

In other words the solution is to get another version of that file, maybe re-saving it, or generating an ogg file from it, or re-encoding it without metadata etc.

2012-12-05 22:04:14

Lorenzo Bellincampi wrote:

@jamesscholes
Expecting a bug-free software is a dream, unfortunately, and the professionalism of the company is made by the support after the  release: if the user finds a bug, we always do our best to solve it.

I'm not expecting a bug-free product, and contrary to popular belief, I'm not trying to degrade your efforts based on your level of programming experience.  I'm simply pointing out that a number of bugs have been flagged up in this forum thread, and many of them do not belong in a game that you are selling as a premium offering.  At the very least, you should point out these known issues to prospective customers.  For example, if I bought your game, only to discover that I had to remove MP3 tags from a portion of my music library, I would want my money back.

Testing the game over all the possibile configuration is, again, not possibile. People have bought the game and are having great fun with it.

Trying the game on every system in the world is impossible, yes.  But selling a game which completely fails on some peoples' machines shows a general lack of focus towards testing, both automated and by humans.

Unfortunately the library that manages the files is not our work so there's not much we can do.

If you are charging money for a product, you owe it to your customers to take a far more positive attitude than this.  If the chosen audio library is causing problems, pick another one.  There are thousands of audio libraries on the Internet for use in projects such as this.  If you're selling a game which deconstructs and reassembles MP3 files, buggy MP3 support has no place in it.

BTW, Audiere supports playback of FLAC files, so why does the game not support them?

About the problem. Nobody has reported a bug like that, and we've tested it again on a XP machine just to be sure. So it's either a problem with your configuration or a very rare bug that happens when you do something peculiar.
In either case I suggest you to download the setup again, uninstal Music Puzzle Lite, be sure that there are no file left back in the folder, and install the software again, without changing directories, option, etc.

If the problem persist tell us your system specifications, and exactly what you are doing when those errors come up.

As I stated in my original post, a large list of errors appears every time I press space on a piece to attempt to move it to another square on the board.  This could be due to the songs I've tried or any number of other factors, but I'm not the only one with the problem.  A friend of mine also tried this game, and experienced similar behaviour after successfully moving a certain number of pieces.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Believe it or not, in a past incarnation, I was Alexander the Great's chief eunuch.

2012-12-05 23:15:25

Look, we will not discuss what you or others think is professional or not. If you have a different opinion it's ok.
We think that a software can fail on a user machine for so many reasons that it is definitely not unlikely that on a single machine is does not run at all; nobody said someone should change the tags to his library, for the files that are not directly compatible with the game you just have to copy the ones you want to use and change what is needed; etc.
You think not. We're ok with that, it's fine, we're not here to change your mind, we're here to solve problems. If you're interested too you can help us reproducing the problem.

About that, there are three things that you can do:

1) Send us the setup file from which you have installed the game
2) Send us one of the songs that gave you problems
3) Tell your friend that had a problem to write us an e-mail with the details.

Just one final clarification: when we say that the audio library is not our work, we're not trying to shift the blame. As you correctly pointed out, we chosen that piece of software, and if it was a bad choice it's is definitely our bad, so if that is really causing all these problems we'll choose more wisely in the future.

2012-12-06 00:56:31 (edited by Chris 2012-12-06 01:02:28)

Hi.

Well I tried uninstalling and downloading the game, but when i reinstall from a new downloaded installer I get the same results with a window that comes up and only has an OK button. When this is pressed, I am returned to windows and the program exits.
Are there any special software requirements? How do I check what version of Direct X i'm using? I think it's 8, though i'm not sure.
Anyway, here is all the information from the system information dialogue box.
System Properties
System Restore Automatic Updates Remote
General
Computer Name Hardware Advanced
System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
Registered to:
dell
76487-OEM-0060366-22191
Computer:
Genuine Intel(R) CPU         
T2500  @ 2.00GHz
998 MHz, 1.99 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

OK Cancel Apply
Any suggestions?
Edit Well, after looking at the message box with nvda's virtual viewer, I found this. Music puzzle lite
Failed to initialize drawing surfaces. Please check that your graphics card meets the minimum requirements and that your drivers are
up-to-date. If your graphics card has little memory, try switching your computer to a lower resolution.
OK

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2012-12-06 01:16:23

Well, i have exactly the same problem, and error isn't read from the box, over the mouse cursor there's really clever error: "unexpected error occurred when running the game."

Also, i must  admit the same fact, releasing a buggy software is really bad idea, offering it as a paid software. The formats of the files is hardly limited, so probably i'll not be able to use anythig from my music library, because everything here is FLAC coded. COnverting something to use it with a game is really, really bad idea, so i am not taking it.

In my opinion, it fails.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2012-12-06 01:37:25 (edited by Lorenzo Bellincampi 2012-12-06 01:54:26)

EDIT:
Ok Chris, then in your case you do not meet the minimum requirements, I'm sorry sad.
The problem is in the video card.

@seal
The FLAC support is on the way, we hope to be able to support that file type soon.
For the error, I need some more informations: does it come up before the logo? Does the game actually open before the error?

Another thing is to send us the directx information: start, run, write "dxdiag" without quotes, in the new windows click on "save all informations", and send us the txt file.

2012-12-06 10:03:09

Hi.
It's pretty sad to see how people are saying that this product is a big fail instead of helping the developers to solve the issues. Don't buy the product if you don't wants to. I don't wants to buy the product at the moment, but i have requested more modes which might make me change my mind.
Is there any graphics in this game, or why does it requires anything from the graphic card?

Best regards SLJ.