2006-10-22 01:35:37

Dragon slayer games is proud to anounce the release of Elemental Battle, an advanced rpg game! The game includes a complicated battle engine with artificial intelligence. There are items to buy, quests to win, and fun to be had! So go on over to dragonslayergames.net and check it out!
Good luck!

P.S.
If you would like to discuss this and other games, you may subscribe to DSG Chat, our mailing list. Send a message to [email protected] containing the words subscribe dragonslayergames. The list is located at [email protected]

2006-10-22 02:31:16 (edited by dark empathy 2006-10-22 03:04:55)

Are Sk8, you court me in a fit of insomnea. As I'm rapidly becoming a big fan of Avatar, Legend of Ang (aka Avatar the Last air Bender in the states), I'm highly interested to try out some elemental combat.

Well, I've now tried out some elemental combat. I like the bakery thing and the weaknesses are fun, the sounds in this game were also rather cool. Perhaps it might help though if the game had a save feature, sinse I can see that completing it would take a loooooong time, especially given the rather cowardly nature of quite a few of the enemies (grin).

I'd also love to see an Rpg from Dsg which has as much focus on exploration as on battle and stats, a few locations to explore, treasures to find, and quests that involve interacting with a charactors and wandering across the world. Both Elemental battle and Dragon Warrior have some wonderful potential as combat systems, but for me having just the combat without the exploration and plot elements makes the games rather one sided, and exploring all the options of the games didn't take me very long. I kept wanting more information (particularly in elemental Battle given the interesting world setting), did you have a teacher? why do you want to be the best? where do you fight other warriors? what are the other warriors like? that sort of thing.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-10-22 06:50:52

Hmm, not bad. Trouble is I think the selection of opponents is having trouble. I started with a mix of fire/earth elementals and the occasional wind, then I got almost nothing but wind. I got back to a mix again, but haven't once seen a water elemental. This is as a fire elemental.

Also I noticed you can save the program's output, I'll post my stats below. This is as far as I got before finding it a little repetitive. Check out the money level, it's so big it had to use an exponent rofl. This is completely genuine, I originally couldn't find the money indicator because it had scrolled off the window so I was being conservative then when I finally found it... Wish money worked like that in real life.

You are a level 8fire elemental.
You need 80 experience to level up.
You have 155out of155 hp.
You have 1.22067899e13 gold.
You have 30 mp.
You have completed 5 out of 6 possible quests.
Your current score is 114
Your Equipment:
Helmet:
fire helm
Body Armor:
fire platemail
Shield:
fire great shield
Weapon:
A fire greatsword.

Battle Record:
Wins: 46
Losses: 9

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-10-22 15:09:55

Dark, you hit all the goals, LOL. The save feature is one I'm really working on figuring out. I can see how it works, I just need to master my commands. A game like this with exploration is something I'm working on as well. It is very possible, just all in time.
Cx2, wow! I'm glad you found it very repetitive after completing 5 quests, I can see how the 100 wins could be hard. I may change it to 50. The battle choice is random and the not fighting water is a common bug. I'll be working on elemental battle version 1.001 that'll allow you to fight water elementals regularly.
Thanks for playing,
sk8

2006-10-24 14:51:59

ok.  here are my observations.

1.  I don't like the fact it's written in lib basic, but I'm letting that one go for now.  You may have an easier time with some thing else, but that's not for this post.
2.  Once I got to level 3, I noticed I kept getting killed.  I'm not sure if I should of boosted my armor more than weapons, or something.  I got torched when I bought the big sword, so it seems that his attack is proportional to mine.  Kind of strange.
3.  saying no to the baker gives me mp?  is that a bug, or is it supposed to be that way.
4.  No save feature, but that was already pointed out.

This game is kind of fun.  Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not really impressed.  however, it is very hard to impress me, but I really really like the game.  I think with some improvements you'll have an even better game on your hands.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2006-10-25 00:48:16

The enemy's attack is equal to yours give or take somewhere fron one to 5. It gets harder when your attack gets higher, because your opponents is strong as well. It simulates training and actually becoming a decent warrior. In a real sword fight, one hit is devistating, swords are sharp! In the beginning, you are weak and not very accurate so your blows do not do much. As you get stronger, you become a warrior and one hit can be a kill.
Ah, you found the easter egg, congrats! Saying no gives you mp. Might as well make it public now, it'd get out eventually...

2006-10-25 02:41:28

lol.  and I thought it was a mistake too.  hahaha.  ah well.  Sorry man.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2006-10-25 07:07:47

Well, as we should all know from Gandalf's almighty plunge into the abyss in Lord of the rings, saying noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Can be very good for the magic muscles (grin).

I'm afraid I'm not sure about the enemy's attack increasing when you buy a larger sword. In Western weaponry, because it's traditional to wear lots of armour, a big heavy sword is more likely to be a good thing so you can batter through your opponent's defences. If their weapon is thinner, weaker, and less sharp than yours, your armour will withstand it better, so you'll be doing more damage.

Of course, in the japanese tradition things are very different, with speed and balance being more important than strength, sinse it's not usual to ware armour in that tradition. But even in the Japanese fighting tradition a better sword moves faster, has better balance, and is more likely not to break when the enemy parries.

Sorry about the minor lecture here, it's just that my brother is heavily into Samurai stuff (he even collects and practicies with replica catanas, Wagasashi etc), and I have a friend who does viking re-enactment, so she knows all the proper details reguarding how to club somebody expertly with broard swords etc, so I've picked up details of this type of thing from them.

Btw, yes! I have scary friends! I'd love to see somebody try and mug her, I think it'd result in a mugger with an extremely bad headache.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-10-25 11:22:52

Maybe a nice little touch is if the armour items could be bought seperately, that confused me a touch. I started by getting the mail, then the shield and when I went back for the helm I was told I didn't want it... and found I already had it.

But yeah, sometimes I'm a glutton for punishment wink
But I enjoyed playing around all the same.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-11-02 03:59:09

Oof, there's something I really need to fix. I really can't believe I over looked the armor problem. When you buy a higher one, you get credit for having the ones before it. However, this doesn't help you much because you don't get the increased defensive stats which will make completing the game harder.

2006-11-03 07:38:59

By the way Sk8, I was wondering if your E-mail is working? If so, please let me know.

2006-11-04 10:30:27

Hi,
I have a question about elimental battle:
How do I complete the 6 quests?

2006-11-04 14:48:40

elliott wrote:

Hi,
I have a question about elimental battle:
How do I complete the 6 quests?

It's in the instructions

cx2
-----

2006-11-07 17:04:56

Thank you cx2, I don't think I could bring myself to answer that question again. It frusterates me so much that people don't read the instructions!
Dark, I'm so sorry I haven't been able to get back to you. I tried to join the srith forum, but you need an activation key and I never got around to asking someone to tell me what it was, I've been busy, I'm really sorry about it! I'll hopefully get joined today or tomoro and I'll send you the stuff I was going to tell you.
And for anyone that's interested, dsg is working on a self-voicing minny game called Dangerous Waters! It was a game from the old site, but I'm remaking it and I personally think it's a fun little play.

2006-11-07 21:33:26

well Sk8, joining  the Sryth forum should be a good thing anyway, i just hope your odd E-mail thing doesn't disallow the automated message the board uses to send you the activation code.

As to audio game instructions, for me, that's actually part of the experience of playing the game. I love reading game documentation and will quite often reread it several times (especially with a complex game like Lonewolf which I might not have played for a few months).. especially.

there are also various audio game developers who can write extremely humorous documentation, which is always a bonus.

2006-11-08 02:07:14

I agree with the humorous documentations, those are awesome! Sometimes I try to add some humor, but I hardly can ever do it; I'm not a big fan of writing documentations.
Okay, I'll head over to the forum now I think.

2006-11-08 09:18:41

Well good luck with the Forum Sk8.

Humor is only a bonus in game documentation I suppose, it matters much more that the documentation is clear.

I remember a while ago something came up reguarding the vip gameszone documentation. Personally I don't find it a problem to read at all, but I know a couple of people had trouble with it, and actually missed out on playing the Vip gameszone games because of it, which is a litle sad, sinse Imho they've produced some pretty good games.

2006-11-08 15:35:41

Well, I've sent the message to you at the srith forum, a little outdated, but it covered everything I wanted to tell you and I don't want to forget anything.

2006-11-08 19:08:27

Hmmm, I've just checked the Sryth Forum, and for some weerd reason i have no new private messages whatsoever. this is odd, sinse somebody sent me a private message there the other day which worked fine.

I think this message of yours Sk8, has been cursed by misdirecting Max, the missing mails magician, scourge of E-mails and post services across the globe, lord of all that is lost, reave of returned post, king of the dead letters, existing only to cause frustration and pointless suffering!

of course it might just be bad luck ------ but no! there's obviously someone behind this, someone who's always there, watching! waiting!

(please excuse me, the man in the white coat wants me to take some tablets right about now).

2006-11-08 23:24:38

Your username is dark, right? If not, there's the reason. I could always try again... or is there another way I can contact you? I'd do it here, but I'd like to keep this somewhat private...