2006-10-20 22:26:07

hi,
i found a text-based offline rpg that you can download. it's 600 kb, which is huge for a text-based game. i forgot the url, however, i will post it once i find it again.
i am having trouble, though. i can't give coins to the old man becaue i don't know how, but when i do and do a few quests i will post a review of it, on this forum, much like tomi did with vista.
regards,
aaron

2006-10-20 22:30:52 (edited by archer 2006-10-20 22:31:30)

hi,
this sounds like my kinda game.
i'll run a google search on the name and see what comes up.
you never know.
thanks for the info aaron
best reg

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-10-21 00:03:50

Ditto, and sinse I don't remember anything called world of legends in the interactive fiction archive, I would guess it's got some strategical and combat elements? Please Aaron could you iether post the Url, or (if it is freeware), send the set up file to be hosted on audiogames or wherever so people can download it.

Whilst we're on the subject, apart from Sryth and (to a lesser extent), legend of the Green dragon and Hogwarts live, has anybody ever discovered an online rpg that actually involves some quests and exploration? there seem to be loads of them about, but most of them seem to just devolve into forums and more or less complex stat crunching, with beating other players as the main objective, and few if any quests to perform.

sorry about the offtopicitude there.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-10-21 11:44:37

believe me dark, i've been looking.
the number of times on week-ends that i've ran google searches on the subject and been disappointed, well you get the point.
i think that aside from www.ffproject.com and sryth there aren't any.
i regularly check up on whitestick.co.uk to see if there are any new games but for the past 4 months there hasn't been any new admitions that have interested me.
i'm still looking and as soon as i find one i'll post it straight away, but until then it's back to sryth.
best reg

2006-10-21 16:01:40

I'm also on the hunt too Archer, there's a very gamebook type project called Age of Fable that's beeing slowly written, but there isn't really much to do yet.

There's also Project.aon which has the Lonewolf books http://www.projectaon.org/new.htm

But other than that not much.

I did have an idea myself for a Sf text rpg game, based around making successful contact with various alien civilizations. the big thing in the game would be for players to post their own encounters for others to play, thus insuring endless updates. unfortunately, even though the gameplay would be more gamebook like than stat based I have no idea of how to begin working on something like that, and I doubt the audio game maker will have extentions to let me do it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-10-21 17:50:37

yeah, to be honest there have been several instances this year where i've wished that i had to knowledge to develop games or write a web based rpg, i've gotten that borred.
i've got so many great ideas for games but i can't put them into .exe form without the knowledge of programming languages.

you wouldn't know how i should start off learning would you? which is the easiest language.
i'd only really want to make side scrollers but with much more detail, sort of a super mario style.
best reg

2006-10-21 17:57:59

I'm sorry Archer, my knolidge of programming is entirely theoretical. I have looked at learning the neccessary programming languages to create interactive fiction or fighting fantasy type stuff, but with my Phd and various other things I don't even have the time for that ---- let alone learning C or Direct X or any of those type of things.

But luckily the Audio game maker is coming out soon, so I'll be waiting out for super Archerario Grin!

Btw, I've just checked age of fable again, and they've updated. It'd probably be handy for anyone interested to keep the link and check back every so often, sinse the game seems to be growing slowly, but surely.

go to:

http://www.apolitical.info/webgame/index.php?mode=0

2006-10-21 18:04:25

hi,
i'm not sure but i think i've found it.
i did a google search and found this website, aaron, have a look at this, i think it's right.
www.rdxgames.net/projects/wrathlands/index.htm
best reg

2006-10-21 22:46:12

congratulations: you solved the puzzle (i was just about to look if no one found it).
anyhow, guys, try the game. and if any of you can figure out how to get the first quest (i think the old man in the in has the info), let me know, because i am having trouble. big... trouble.
i can't give coins to him...

2006-10-21 23:15:01 (edited by dark empathy 2006-10-22 00:31:54)

Right, the exact page is:

http://www.rdxgames.net/projects/wrathlands/index.html

Interestingly enough, there seem to be video tutorials about how the game was created, which might help people trying to write text Rpg's.

I've downloaded the game and given it a try, but unfortunately, the old man thing seems to be a bug, sinse whatever you type he just keeps asking you to make an offer ----- even when I had 200 coins and offered him all of them.

Unfortunately, this Ryan chap who wrote the game ddidn't seem to include his E-mail address in the readme, and the forums on the site appear to be locked, and the only E-mail address there seems to be that of the creator of the programming language, as opposed to the writer of the game, and I don't know if mailing him/her would help. I assume this is just a game bug. the rest of the game does look vaguely interesting, though the writing style does seem a litle symplistic Imho.

2006-10-22 12:04:43

yeah, i noticed that writting style too, maybe he wrote it like that so that all ages could play the game?
i do have one problem, my win-eyes reads the text out but at such a slow rate, is there no way of reading the text other than letting window-eyes do it by itself?
thx

2006-10-22 13:23:04

it does have his e-mail address in the read me. the address is:
[email protected]

2006-10-22 17:33:58 (edited by dark empathy 2006-10-22 18:23:07)

How did I miss that? thanks for compensating for my lack of observation Aaron.

As reguards playing the game, hal had no trouble using the virtual focus mode the same way I do when playing interactive fiction games, I can't think why a screen reader would slow down when reading the text.

2006-10-22 18:06:53

not exactly slow down, it just seems hell bent on saying every word with 3 second pauses inbetween.
i can't really describe it.

2006-10-22 18:38:16

I'm afraid sinse I've never used window eyes Archer, I can't think of any suggestions other than ones you've probably already tried ----- like going through the text line by line instead of reading all of it at once.

Sorry I can't be more help.

2006-10-22 22:04:11

well, i tried going through it line by line, but for some reason i can't find it.
the only way i can even play is to let window eyes get it automatically like it's a dialogue box.
never mind, i'll find a way sooner or later.
best regards

2006-10-24 22:03:36

Hi
How do I give the money to the old man? I think it's a bug because when I aasked Peter to talk about the creatures, it works. it I've now completed the rain forest and the grasslands. Are there anymore quests or did the developer only finish those ones.
Thanks.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-10-25 15:05:02

there are a total of 15 quests. by the way. how do you get to those quests. just go to that location?

2006-10-25 21:45:15

Hi
To go to different quests, you go back to the little village and go to different areas such as the rain forest which is a different quest.
Hope this helps.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-10-25 22:08:14

Hi, this is a note from the developer, of world of legends. I recently just made another post (world of legends - notes from the developer), please look at that one, for more information on your troubles, and stuff like that.

one more thing, what is windows eyes???

2006-10-25 22:56:48

hello rsl.
window eyes is a screen reader. it's a bit like mine.
the most popular screen reader around is jaws, but the price is rather high (sometimes it's $1000 us.)
i use hal, which is simpler to use.  am not sure of the price though.
and window eyes is another one of these, never used it though.
thanks game man for the advice, i will try that.
i think this game has great pertential for the text-based gaming market, it's a shame that some of the developers do not know c++, we could have extended it or something.
regards,
aaron

2006-10-26 01:45:44

one more thing, why is it, that windows eyes reads the text from my game so slowly??? My guess, is that because it's in a dos screen, and it's not like you can directly select the text.

Anyway, yes, world of legends will fit greatly into the text game market, and it is one of my best games, that I have ever created. It had taken me 5 months to create something like this. Also, world of legends is not like any other kind of text game. Rather, it is special. You see, most text games I don't enjoy playing, because they are rather boring, being coded in BASIC and all, and they are just too generic. Plus, they attempt gaming in old style, and are outdated. The creators of these old text games, want to try to make it fancy with all that weird ASCII text and all, which I think is just ridiculous, especially when it's dos. Text is not meant to be used as graphics, and it never should be. In fact, a text game does not need to be fancy, to succeed in the market. What really counts, is the gameplay. And, plus, texts games with those font graphics will never succeed in the real game industry.

2006-10-26 01:47:04

by the way, is everyone here blind, or visually impaired???

2006-10-26 01:51:57

archer wrote:

yeah, to be honest there have been several instances this year where i've wished that i had to knowledge to develop games or write a web based rpg, i've gotten that borred.
i've got so many great ideas for games but i can't put them into .exe form without the knowledge of programming languages.

you wouldn't know how i should start off learning would you? which is the easiest language.
i'd only really want to make side scrollers but with much more detail, sort of a super mario style.
best reg

hey archer, i think i got your solution. You can create games with game engines, however, they are usually limited, and you have to buy them. Also, they require scripting languages.

I have tried many game engines before, and, to tell you the truth, they really aren't that good. It's really just a bunch of confusing stuff that you gotta understand, and I think programming languages are better off, with creating games. You can learn BASIC, but that is kinda outdated. Plus, then, your games will only be in dos mode.

I am learning more of the c++ programming language, although i am already, an advanced c++ programmer. I will also be learning to make 2D RPG's and things like that, with DirectX, soon.

Anyway, c++ was made for professional programming, so I don't know if it will be the best choice for you. However, if you are serious about programming, and I don't mean just learning programming languages, just to make games, then learn c++, and you will be well off. From that point on, learn SDL, as it is possibly the easiest yet powerful api, that you can use.

Hope that helped,

-Ryan

2006-10-26 01:54:53

Game Man wrote:

Hi
How do I give the money to the old man? I think it's a bug because when I aasked Peter to talk about the creatures, it works. it I've now completed the rain forest and the grasslands. Are there anymore quests or did the developer only finish those ones.
Thanks.
Game Man

Actually, there's many more. 15 total, actually. Just go to the locations (they are usually options above 10), and look for them. Those are quest areas, for example, meadow, rainforest, castle, rune king quest, heaven quest, elven forest quest, jungle quest, and many more.

Oh, and world of legends was fully developed and finished, and completed, in July 11, in case you haven't noticed. If you have the game, and it is about 623 kb, in zipped form (or the game 2.2 mb, in just the program file), then you have the final release.