2012-11-15 08:14:18

ahoy there. I could keep at IOS version 5 I wouldn't mind,but aye I do see where it could be a problem. the only reason I am considering apple now is because of its games and apps,but after a little research if I do indeed find that we cannot buy apps and such from Itunes I'd have no reason for buying a Iphone at all.
the only reason I considered moveing on from the current Nokia phone I have is the apps/games I have been seeing around for IOS. most if not all phones have a decent storage space, a music player,and lol the ability to make/recieve calls and send text messages. in that regard, nokia is as good as any other.and that's all I use my phone for. so if it proves to be that I can not buy and play games,alas.
as for  android devices,I'll look up the moddles suggested and see if they are available here or not. question.
what good apps in your opinion are available in android? I know that it doesn't have as many or not sure if it has any games at all? but anything useful might as well do.
grryf.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2012-11-15 10:18:59 (edited by SLJ 2012-11-15 10:25:38)

Hi.
Grryf: Don't worry. Itunes U is only studying stuff like  books, videos and podcasts where you can, for example, study a new language for free. So you should be able to buy what you  need in yur country.
Edit to answer some more questions:
The developers who develop an app, choses if they wanna release the ap world wide, or just in some countries. I've seem that to lots of apps lately, which is the reason for I've created an US account if I'll need it.
When it comes to paying, well, all kind of credit cards which is supported in your country should be allowed. Generelly, a visa card works which I'm using.
I don't agree that an iPhone 4 isn't worth it. Yes it runs slow on IOS6, but it's usable.
How new is the Sony Experia pro phone? The phone I can get here in Denmark is more than two years old, and run something like Android 2.2. I have to update myself on that though.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-11-15 12:10:40 (edited by grryfindore 2012-11-15 12:12:52)

hello there SLJ,
so we can create a US/UK account for example even if we don't live there? so that one is able to purchase/ download apps etc. and what quote says is,that in india only Itunes U apps are available that too,through a UK Itunes. honestly,I don't really understand this different Itunes business. Itunes U,then the Itunes app store, is the apple app store is the Itunes store? big_smile this is a bit confuseing that's all. why the hell not have just a centralised store where people can buy apps from.
haha Dark I wondered that myself,but when people interact with many people in a day,that sort of stuff does happen. heh,I want to be in a missile crew too. preferably to get aim and shoot,whilst the other people look after the loading business.:)
Ahh dam.a credit card. now the search for some cousin who has a credit card begins. lol
grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2012-11-15 12:26:45

I agree on the games front. I've been using a nokia  phone which has no speech software at all or text or what not, but is fine for phoning people and  as accessible  as a common house phone. I've got the Iphone for the aps and games, indeed mmostly the games big_smile.

I don't notice any slow running with Ios 6, then again I've only just started playing with the os, however equally I do have the iphone 5 so I'm not sure if that makes a difference over all. i am however thus far fairly pleased with vo, it's very responsive and useable, even with the onscreen  keyboard, indeed the only page I had severe trouble with was the page to enter your credit card details name and what not  (though hopefully I've found a way to do that online).

Of course, I can't speak for android generally or for specific models, but as I said I was primarily going on what it could do for me! rather than an over riding  ethical decision, which is why i'm still using windows and not linux.

I think the Iphone is! going to provide a lot of fun and do what I want, but we'll see.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-11-15 16:15:43

Hi Dark,

Well, I think there is more to it than just a simple case of ethics. Weather someone wants to go with an Android verses iPhone or Windows vs Linux a big issue is cost and what you expect to get out of the device or software. The cost or price someone is willing to spend all depends on what the end user expects to get out of that product.

For instance, you said, "other people like tom go with Linux for moral reasons, and I could understand someone trying android for the same way, and fair enough to them, ---- I just confess it's not the choice I would personally make since to me it just seems like personal denial for little to no gain."

While I respect your opinion it isn't accurate. I don't use Linux specifically for moral reasons, and choose to use Linux more out of what it can or can not do for me personally at a price I can afford. Choosing something because it is a less expensive alternative and offers features I personally find valuable is obviously not the same as picking Linux for some ethical or moral reason. Plus as I use Linux almost full time I don't see it as personal denial for little gain.

For one thing Linux has all the usual apps you would expect to find on a modern operating system such as Gedit the text editor, LibreOffice which is similar to Microsoft Office, the Firefox web browser, Thunderbird e-mail client, the Audacity audio editor, File Roller archive utility, Totem Movie Player, Banshee which is similar to Winamp, etc. Not to mention the Orca screen reader with Eloquence set as my default synth.. About the only thing I am short on is accessible games, and I can get several of those to run in Wine if I want to put the work into setting up the Wine environment for games. However, the bottom line is I'm not giving up too much by using Linux as it is obvious that Linux fulfills most of my needs for a fraction of the cost of a similar Windows environment.

Plus in many ways I gain some features that Windows simply does not have. One of them is an accessible talking installer. I can insert Ubuntu 12.04 into any CD Rom drive, boot the disk, press control+s and launch the setup with Orca reading the installation prompts. Windows simply lacks this level of accessibility out of the box, and its fair to say that being able to install my OS from scratch is a feature I would pay money for, but as Linux is free I don't have to.

Finally, there is the issue of security. With Windows handling multiple user accounts, managing user permissions, etc was bolted on after the fact and I don't like the way Windows handles multiple user accounts. However, in Linux since this functionality was designed into the OS from day one handling multiple user accounts is not only more stable/reliable  it is also more secure because it has a strong security system in place when it comes to read, write, and execute permissions. This has largely made malware like viruses, worms, trojans, etc all but non-existent. There have been a few known viruses, worms, etc for Linux but I'm willing to run the risk of a couple dozen such cases of malware for Linux compared to the thousands of known viruses, trojans, worms, and spyware for Windows. It just seems to me Linux is a smarter alternative when it comes to security when venturing out into the web and so on.

Anyway, we made a similar choice when my wife upgraded to an Android phone. We initially wanted to go for an iPhone but the cost was double what the Android phones were going for. My wife and I talked it over and as it was apparent she really wasn't concerned about downloading games and various other things from the Apple App Store there wasn't any need for her to pay double for the phone. As the Android phone was her phone not mine if I needed to use the phone it was accessible enough with Talkback that I could use it, but neither of us really needed all the features for the iPhone since she wasn't expecting to get and use everything it has to offer. Our choice to buy an Android had nothing to do with ethics, but simply which was a practical choice at the time.

Bottom line, while I understand your point of choosing product x for ethical considerations I think most people, myself included, actually choose products based on what it can do for them for the right price. If I can get an Android phone for $325 that does everything I want it to do then I'm not going to fork over $650 for an iPhone that can do more but isn't what I need. If I can download a free OS like Ubuntu Linux 12.04 that does all I need it to do then I see no reason in paying $199 for Windows 8 Pro, $1200 for Jaws 14, $525 for Microsoft Office 2010, etc when Linux is free and offers most of the same kinds of apps for less.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-11-16 03:06:37

Hi Tom.

that's fair as regards price, indeed I've chosen not to upgrade my windows for  similar reasons as you know, sinse right now that would cause more trouble for me than not.

With the Iphone however, for  me buying android would! be a denial. I  debated an accessible phone for a long while, but didn't ever get one because I simply carry a  laptop with me most  places I go indeed I'm on a train using my laptop right now!

thus, I have access to E-mail, the internet etc without trouble at all, indeed for    standard writing  as well as playing books and music my laptop is superior to many devices, sinse I'd also need a bleutooth keyboard and most phones and such don't have as much hd space or in the case of the Iphone a  convenient way of transferring stuff.

My mobile phone was I said a standard, twenty quid nokia, albeit one with  alsightly retro style and actual buttons, (it isn't one of those large button phones, but  neither is it one with those undefigned buttons either).

on it I could quite happily call people and get messages, indeed I kept my monthly mobile bill down by not! having the internet or text messages, (indeed most of the time for me text messages would serve little purpose anyway sinse why text when i can E-mail?).

when I finished my phd however, I wanted something fun to do, and I can't deny that a good few iphone games and gamebooks have greatly interested me.

There are also some specific things that,  while I can do without them, or could likely find another way of doing, an Iphone would make easier.

for example, I've used a parrot voicemate for the last 10 years as a general personal organizer and phonebook. It's a great little machine, produced as it was back in 2002  before the days when accessible phones with their mighty phonebooks were known. However, i can't deny the machine is getting somewhat worn out, and it would these days be easier for me to use a phone's actual os for my numbers, contacts etc the way everyone else does than make an audio note and have the number or address spoken.

Another thing is  a speaking Italian dictionary!

Sinse finishing my phd, I've started  learning spoken  italian,  mostly to improve my singing of Italian opera, but also partly jjust for interest's sake and because it's good to know another language. Having supernova read in! italian would be very easy, however  having it read both italian and! english as would be necessary to read a dictionary is a more difficult question.

Braille might work, but it'd be a very slow method, and Furthermore I don't  actually want to write! in  italian or worry about wonky spelling, speaking it will be enough for me.

So, when i learnt the Iphone can translate spoken phrases, I thought this would be a perfect solution, sinse if I understand the rules and gramar of the language I can simply say what word I want in italian translated, and then construct the sentences myself.

Again though, for that I'd need an Iphone, ---- indeed I've not looked into this yet but I think I might even need siri specifically.

So for me,  even though i am fully cognicent of apple's general evilness, I have gone for the Iphone for what it can do.   an android phone would do  less, just as any system other than xp at the moment would do  less, whatever I might think of  linux.

I would personally recommend the Iphone on  the basis of what it does, indeed even more so now I've actually got it doing! what I want it to, but if  someone has other requirements, price not the least, fair enough.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-11-16 14:05:29

Grryf:
Yes, we can create a US account if needed. It's not that easy to pay though.
The app store is only for aps, and the iTunes store is for audio books, tv shows, music cd's and it's also linked to the app store because you can choose to connect your device to your computer, buy and download apps to your computer and then sinc them to your phone. It's really not that confusing. smile
The apple store is the store where you can buy all their products on their website.
And, the Apple ID is simply your ID which is used everywhere when it comes to buying stuff from the Apple store, App store or iTunes store.
I hope that makes sense. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2012-11-16 16:35:27

Creating a US account is doable from another country. However, as to whether or not this is even legal, is an entirely different matter. I'm pretty sure it's not.

2012-11-16 18:21:37

Just a thought. If you want to get the iPhone just to get access to games and you're fine with your nokia phone? Maybe you will be able to buy the new iPod touch instead? It's certainly cheeper, and would give you hardare comparable to a 4S, except in a much thinner case.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2012-11-16 23:39:17

Hi pitermach.

I thought about the Ipad, but decided to go for the Iphone 5 instead, basically because I liked the idea of a mobile internet signal, sinse there are! still occasions I can't get the net on my laptop, plus the contacts, personal organizer functions etc would work in my favour, as would siri, plus, because my phone is on contract, in two years when I come to the end of my contract, I will get a far better deal on the next contract especially for the Iphone six.

So, while I did carefully considder an Ipad the price difference wasn't really enough.

either way it's unfortunately done  now! though I'm quite happy with the Iphone 5 as far as the hardware and games and such goes.

2012-11-17 05:59:39

ahoy all
AT SLJ thanks man for clearing that up. so the app store and the apple store are different, I guess. supposeing that,I think I may be able to buy apps?
AT pitermach which IPod do you mean?the 5g?
alas,only if we had such contracts here. I think Apple phones here are much more expensive as compared to other countries. even after doing the currency conversions. I don't think I am a hundrad% right on this one,though.
grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2012-11-19 02:30:29

There are a few games for android that are accessible, but I guess since the newer more accessible updates came out some of them are no longer working. I have only tried a couple but I think the best one so far is lockpick.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … BpY2siXQ..

It even has a mode for deaf-blind players based on vibration patterns.
With my phone I had to download another aplication to make text messages work and change some things in talkback as well as download something to get a slightly better virtual keyboard, but even with the added accessibility in the updates that my phone will probably never receive, apple still has a slight edg in terms of accessibility especially since it actually has braille support in more than just the latest version. I do like all the options that my phone has though, no paying for new ringtones, added voices, and maybe some others, but I've spent lots of time with it and still am trying to get it to work.

2012-11-19 10:27:06

That's a  major shame on price their grryf, particularly sinse I was reading recently  on a way of how to download games from other country's ap stores, (check the nightjar page on applevis).

I'm getting to be a big fan of Iphone games I must admit, Ing of dragon pass  is simply amazing! one of the best games I've played ever! Indeed that's where I've been for the last day or so, managing my clan! big_smile.

2012-11-19 18:21:29

huh,who would have thought that it was as easy as that? this makes me feel better,however slight it maybe. smile
I'll probably go to a store before I get a phone or pod, and check them both out but if someone could clear my doubts, it'd be awsome. been looking at all these iPod4g 5g what have you,not good at remembering their names.I think there was a nano something too. so will the apps that work on an iPhone work on these iPods too?
and when a app says that it supports IOS6 for example, will that app work only on IOS6? or it will work on IOS5 etc too.
I think that's it for now.
grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2012-11-19 18:42:22

Hi,

I have an iPhone, and an Android tablet. But, now, I'd choose to go the other way around, maybe.
So, I'd get a droid phone, and an iPod touch. Which is what I'm doing whenever I get to upgrade from my iPhone 4... It's starting to get laggy with iOS6...

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2012-11-20 12:59:21

Ghryff: Yes you will indeed be able to buy apps in your country. I hear that the App store is supported in all the countries world wide.
All aps works on iPhones, iPads and only the iPod touches. The differences between appps for iPad and iPhones is that the iPhone apps is not build to the big screen, but you can resize them so they fit the screen. It's only the iPod touch which runs IOS, so apps will only work their.
Aps which works in IOS 6 does also work in IOS5 as far as I know.

Best regards SLJ.

2012-11-20 13:17:47

ahoy all
Thanks a bunch Slj!
its only this

Please note, iTunes Store purchases, iPod (PRODUCT) RED and Apple Online Store are not available in India. Podcasts and iTunes U content are available from the UK iTunes Store.

which made me a bit apprehensive. it would have been a pain,if I bought a IOS device and found out that I can not buy or download apps which I bought the device for in the first place. lol
thanks for clearing that up.
Grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2012-11-20 15:01:09

Hi.

I sort of thought  there were! specific things that would only run on Ios6, but I could be wrong on that score, or maybe I've just not encountered  any.

i will say though I'm getting to really like siri, sinse it's a major speed up to just be able to pick up my phone and say "phone this number" and have it phoned automatically, ditto with web searches etc. Indeed,  that's a great way of getting around using the on screen keyboard to search for stuff (I found the nightjar myself using this method, but haven't played it yet).

Back to aps though,  I seem to remember lost cities saying something about only for Iphone not for Ipad, but I could be wrong, still, it might be worth going to the sites of anything your interested in and just checking Ipad availability before you buy.

As to the ap store, well maybe the method with the night jar would let you change account to other countries, though i don't know what you do about paying for games in that case.

It might even be worth just phoning apple and asking them, which i did before buying  an Iphone if your not overly sure on this, ---- actually I found their customer support not   too bad, indeed the only way I got my apple id account and payment details setup was thanks to a long phone call with  a lady on the apple tech support team  who just talked me through what the various buttons did.

2012-11-21 12:47:41

Grryf: I'll ask around to confirm if you can buy apps in India and let you know as soon as I find out.
When it comes to pay on an other apple ID in an other country, you can send gift cards to that account and pay using your credit card. I hear that's possible, but I haven't tried that yet.

Best regards SLJ.

2012-11-22 07:51:11

Ahoy all.
Thanks Slj. it is much appreashiated. as I am not familiar with Apple and anything to do with them,I.E Itunes, apple online store? app store and all hence I didn't even think of the giftcard Idea, although I think it could work only if apple allows perchase of stuff in the first place. I may Just get a iPhone 4s, ods are that I will,but ey. knowing that I indeed can buy apps and all that fun stuff would make me feel better when I finally go and get one of them.
grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2012-11-22 21:27:14 (edited by hadi.gsf 2012-11-22 21:31:15)

@gryf
don't worry about that. you can have all the apps.... at least, all the useful and awesome ones.
anyway, you can have me as your case. i live in iran but when i bought my iphone 4s, when i was going to create my apple ID, i simply  chose my country as "united states"
thus my apple account is an USA account.
also, i chose my payment method to "none" so it didn't ask me for  my paypal account (wich i don't have lol)
whenever i want to buy an app that i want to and it's worth, i'll just buy giftcards from dealers in iran.
i'll give them money in our currency and they'll give me itunes  giftcard codes, and i'll increase my account balance with those.
i've bought king of dragon pass, djay, (which is free now heh), my proTunes, ferrari sound, iGun+ and some more~
+u could jailbreak your phone and do some evil stuff
(i pirated ferrari sound to check that if it is accessible or not, after i've found out that i'm spending some good times with it, i just bought it to support the developper tongue )

some apps are awesome because they are free to get at the first place, so you actually could work with it for abit
my proTunes for example. it let's you to listen to your "enhanced" music  for 10 minutes each day for free.
but once you buy the premium package for $4.99, it gets unlocked.
but alot   others require you to actually buy them and try 'em out

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2012-11-23 02:03:47

Nice to know there is a way around the international problem with Iphone hadi, indeed I would expect if it's possible to do in Iran it's likely possible in India too.

2012-11-23 09:20:50

One quick thing:

If an app says it's not designed for the iPad, but its still available in the iPad app store, this means that for the most part, the app will be an iPhone shaped window in the middle of the screen, so it doesn't use the full potential. There is the option of pressing the full screen button, but that's nothing like a native app. Just thought I'd point that out quickly. smile

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2012-11-23 14:16:27

ahoy all
thanks hadi and GhorthalonTheDragon for the information. 50% probability is that I will not buy a Ipad. so that's quite alright anyway. but good information to have,just in case.
I checked out,at least online[haven't visited any stores yet] the availability of the Itunes gift cards in india. the sad thing is, I'll have to pay dubble the rate of USD if I end up getting a gift card from them.10USD =500 something INR,and if I go and buy a 10$ card from them,I pay 1000 INR. of course I know that they gotta run a business and nothing's free,but this seems a bit over the top. however the awsome news is I think I can still buy apps from the app store,so I'll only end up paying dubble if the app I want isn't available in India's app stores.
another question. I think the iPhone 4s which are packed in a box and have never been opened before,brand new I ment. big_smile come with IOS 4.0 something installed. my question is,can I upgrade to IOS5.1 instead of IOS6?
grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2012-11-23 15:14:42 (edited by hadi.gsf 2012-11-23 15:17:54)

@dark thanks! smile
yea for itunes giftcards~
it feels good to purchace iphone apps :d
@gryf
yes you can
you'll need to download 5.1 file  off somewhere else though
somewhere else than apple servers
google would help~
if you're worried about jailbreaks, there will be Untethered  one soon for 6.1, redsno0w managed to  jailbreak  6.1 tethered, and they have publicly jailbroke 6.1 Untethered~

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi