2012-10-22 13:45:10 (edited by CAE_Jones 2012-10-22 13:46:22)

Hi!
This is based in the same universe as Escape the Dark Legion, though is completely different in terms of gameplay.

The idea here was to create something in the style of games like Streets of Rage, where the game is 3d of a sort, but effectively still a sidescroller.
You can download this very rough ... alpha? here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/fp9i51

There are definitely issues with it, which I will explain later in this post.
I think it is close enough to the standards I wanted to meet by today to warrant release (see the Jeqocon 2012-2013 schedule).
That said, I didn't strip out any of the incomplete stuff, so if you try to explore the menus and stuff you'll find a lot of error messages.

The easiest way to get use to the controls is in versus mode (select "fight against the computer", and I recommend you pick Suzuki or Kaiasaki as your opponent due to their *cough* taunts making them easy to hear when they aren't moving).
I'll tell you a flaw in the AI, because it's helpful for practice here: If you run directly toward an enemy, it retreats. Start the match by running to the right, and your opponent will wind up helplessly against the edge of the arena, leaving you to use them as a training dummy.
They do not just stand still/retreat if you move away or turn your back, however.

The controls are as follows. There is a configuration option in the game, but it doesn't work, so my appologies if your keyboard lacks a right control key (I have a couple that do):
Arrow keys = movement
spacebar = jump (press in air for flight, in the case of Suzuki).
Control = attack (Specifically right control; left control almost definitely won't work)
alt = special (right alt)
Escape = Pause / cancel (for some reason the quit option doesn't seem to work from a vs match, so you're better off winning or losing and pressing escape from the character select).

Only five of the ten selectable characters are currently playable (of those, only two have working specials). The only arena that works is the village road.

And in arcade mode, you can only play as Isuzu, and the sample stage there is far from complete. I hope it's enough to give something of an idea of what I'm going for, at least.
Oh, and you may notice that you can't use all the special attacks in arcade mode that Isuzu has access to in Versus mode. This was intentional; the idea is that you'll gain abilities as you advance through the game, but they're already available in versus mode because why not?

known issues
  • There are times where AI is insufferably stupid, and times where it is insufferably effective. For an example of stupid, see how I suggested you practice. For an example of effective... well, get past the first section of the Arcade mode sample. The latter is an issue only because I tried to have the AI be capable of something enemies do in Streets of Rage 2, although it needs tweaking to work here.

• If you die in Arcade mode, you cannot respawn, so the game just continues with enemies dancing about uselessly until you quit.

• Lots and lots of people falling on each other. It's bad enough that this seems to be the real meat of the fighting if you actually get an agressive opponent. While this... umm... is realistic enough for street fighting, it's pretty annoying for this style of game.

• And people get sent flying to ridiculous heights too easily.

• There's a problem with the second section of the sample arcade stage that prevents it from ending.

• I suspect something's wrong with flight, but I'm not really sure yet.

• There's something funky with the camera, especially in arcade mode.

• Oh, I'm sure I've forgotten something.

One more thing: since the full version will allow you to set the controls however you like, I didn't build in single-button controls for checking your health and position and things. Instead, I let you check them by holding f2 and then pressing button s(c for your coordinates, h for health). You can check the first not-you person in an area (all enemies for now) by holding f3 and using c / h (you'll get no response if you are the only one left).

Game play summary

Ok, so enough of that technical crap. Time to describe the engine in more detail:

- Attacking rapidly allows you to combo attacks. Each character has different stats regarding their attack speed, recovery, strength, and max combo length, etc. For instance, Toyota is on the weaker end strength-wise, but she can use longer combos.
- You cannot use combos in air (I don't think you can while flying, either), but aerial attacks are stronger and typically have a bigger hit area.
- Dashing attacks are currently a wimpy version of what I want them to be, but they exist.
- Dashing! You tap left or right twice to run faster (and hold it to keep going!).
- If you get close enough, you will grab people (assuming they don't grab you). You can attack them, or you can jump over them (spacebar), or you can throw them (direction + attack, or jump+attack if you want to just slam them to the ground where they stand). Grabs can be broken (if you find yourself being grabbed, try tapping the spacebar to break free). Throws are the most common way for people to fall into each other, which does damage based on their size. Watch out for this.
- Specials cost health to use, but often have useful effects, such as range, hitting in different areas, providing a quick way to escape abuse, or doing extra damage. Generally speaking, the more buttons you have to press to use a special, the more health it will cost you.
- I haven't actually tested weapons yet, but the foundation for their use is in there. You can't use combos with weapons, but they often provide range and damage advantages.
- There are breakable objects in there (just attack them; they will eventually be breakable by specials or throwing people into them, but not right now).
- Attack while standing over an item to pick it up (the only one in the demo is food, which restores 25% of your health).
- Pitch is used to indicate the z-position of the origin of a sound. I think you can change this in the options menu (I've been focusing on gameplay and not the menus for a while now... :oops: ).

Eventually, I plan to add multiplayer (co op for arcade, competitive for vs).
I'm hoping that the flawed AI and questionable sound quality do not get in the way of demonstrating the concepts, at least. tongue

If you checked the schedule I linked to, you would have found that I don't plan to update this game for at least a month, so I can finish the major content stuff in Sengoku Jidai. Hopefully there will be time in there to fix some of the bugs in this one so that by the next EC-related deadline, it will be a lot nicer.

But please, go forth and beat people unconscious*!

* Not in real life. That's usually illegal.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-10-22 14:16:13 (edited by brad 2012-10-22 14:17:34)

Hi.
I tryed it, and its nice, well i did die alot... I can't complete the first stage but from what i remember of Kei's post, you can't  complete the stage yet?
going to play it again, oh and nice food sound. lol.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-10-22 18:12:14

Hi!
Can someone upload this game to dropbox please? because my download manager seams to not like sendspace links and i dont want to download such a large file with the download manager built into firefox, because i am only online with my nokia e50 and have a realy slow internet connection. If annyone could do that, it would be cool.

Greetings
Dennis

2012-10-22 19:28:43

Hi.
can i ask, why are you only on internet on you're phone? i odn't want that to come out sounding rood but I think it did. oops, sorry.
I'll give the link, but before I do I have one question, how will you play the game?
I mean how will you transfare the folder from you're Nokia?
here is the link.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2293818/EC2.5D.zip
If that doesn't work, please tell me.
I'm using 7z and i'm not sure if i zipped the folder right.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-10-22 19:36:55

Hi!
I am connecting the nokia e50 to my laptop via usb and use it as a modem.
dropbox gives me a 404 error. is the file still uploading?
Greetings
Dennis

2012-10-22 19:42:05

Well, it was about 8 minutes between those two posts, so it probably wasn't fully uploaded.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-10-22 20:01:51

Ah! now it starts downloading! Thanks a lot!
Greetings
Dennis

2012-10-23 04:31:21

This sounds interesting.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2012-10-23 19:33:17

I'm sorry but Iäm stuck. after I defeet those enemys on the arcade mode there is kind of an object but I bump into something. I walk around the hole map and there is nothing.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2012-10-24 18:05:22

Hm. I'm using an Apple keyboard, which most definitely doesn't have the right control key. I'll try it just to get beaten, though.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2012-10-24 22:47:08

Well, the key constants are based on microsoft standards, so an Apple keyboard might have a key that uses the same constant.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-10-25 16:08:15

wel laptops are better sints they already have the keyboard. I hate screwing around with those standing computers where you could take them apart. for my taist they are farr too bulky.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2012-10-29 13:12:00

hmm cae, thisgame could really use a learn game sounds menu, like for the throwing, grappling, hitting eq. I don't know what a lot of the sounds mean, even listening to them from the sounds folder.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2012-10-29 14:51:34

Since the system is taken from Streets of Rage and Streets of Rage indeed has a sound test, that isn't at all a bad idea (It's one I"ve been thinking about adding ever since I decided to give hte sound of hitting neemies and hitting players different sounds).

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-10-29 14:54:35

Hi.
This game sounds great, but I'm currently too busy to dive into such complex games at the moment.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-08-03 12:18:55

high guys can you upload this game? this link isn't work