2006-10-30 21:44:47

Hi,
What does RTM stand for?

2006-10-30 21:46:36

Hi,
When do you think the CPP will be remooved from microsofts website?

2006-10-31 03:36:14

RTM stands for Release to Manufacturing. CPP will probably be opened until November 8th, when Microsoft will start to ship Vista to computer manufacturers. And, now I have build 5840, known as pre-RTM, but I can't install it, since I don't have product key, and there is no key which will work for this build.

2006-10-31 18:27:21

bad news guys. it's been conferemd. it is going to happen. however, don't worry: it'll stop piracy. that's the good thing about it.

2006-11-01 02:38:18

Hi Forum,

Here's a product key trick with vista: at the "product key" box, press enter. You will get a question, "do you want to enter you're product key?" select no. Then, select ultimate or what ever build you want to install from the image list, press enter. Proceede as normal. You will eed to enter a key though in the end.

Regards:

tomi

2006-11-01 05:47:54

aaron wrote:

bad news guys. it's been conferemd. it is going to happen. however, don't worry: it'll stop piracy. that's the good thing about it.

What is your source? I am still very dubious.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-11-01 10:13:12

OK, now I'm installing pre-RTM build 5840. When the system asked me for product key, i've chosen not to enter it. Then I've chosen Ultimate Edition. The system will now work for 30 days, but it is not problematic for me, since in November 8th, Microsoft will release RTM version. For your information, it will be build 6000, as we expected.

2006-11-01 17:42:57

i have several sources.
source 1: alex barns told me over skype.
source 2: apparently alex knew someone from dolphin computer access who knew about it.
source 3: damien confermed that it was going to happen.
if you are still not sure, you could try contacting x-sight interactive (the company these guys are in) and ask them for the info, they can give their side of the story. (but i think i have it rather accurate.)

2006-11-02 00:15:05

Hi
Can you send the Vista sound scheme to [email protected]?
Thanks Hrvoje.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-11-02 05:03:27

So in essence no word has come from any of the major computing sources, just a friend. As much as I hate to say it, I don't find those reliable. I don't know the guys or their sources, but unless I hear it directly from Microsoft or one of the big computer news places like Wired I'll assume it's conspiracy theories.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-11-03 03:05:31

tomi wrote:

Hi Forum,

Here's a product key trick with vista: at the "product key" box, press enter. You will get a question, "do you want to enter you're product key?" select no. Then, select ultimate or what ever build you want to install from the image list, press enter. Proceede as normal. You will eed to enter a key though in the end.

Is the key the one on the side of your PC?

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2006-11-03 03:06:51

Hi,
Alex also told me about the thing, said he heard it from a friend. But it is also just a rumor. If it does happen, it will not be good. Stopping piracy yeah, but at a big cost. I'd rather have things the way they are now than have no piracy and be spied on.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2006-11-03 09:45:49

Yes I accidentaly installed Windows Vista Starter edition (build 5840), since I booted from DVD and installed without speech. However, I'm back to RC2, since I got a legal product key after I registered on Microsoft for CPP.

2006-11-03 17:59:53

if i can remember correctly, alex said that the person from dolphin computer access (i think that's the right company... i could be wrong here) knew someone from microsoft.
and, microsoft will probably not publish this news until the thing is released, because.... well the authorities will be on to them. heh.

2006-11-03 19:10:11

OK, I think in this case Microsoft will lose customers, and last, they will lose job. Most people cannot live without piracy.

2006-11-04 02:21:09

sata! The word you just heard is going to be you're best friend in Vista. Sata stands for serial ata. Many new computers come with a sata controller.

I just custom installed my Vista rc1, from windows. And before install, I clicked load driver, and loaded my thinkpad's Sata driver. Last time, Vista did not detect my sata controller. I know this because wen I start my laptop, after it starts booting Vista and the first pause happens, Vista (and xp too) stops my hard drive from reading for 2 seconds, while it turn on sata. My hd makes a click as the heads are pulled in to the safe station of the drive.

In any case, back then it took about 1 minute to load. But with Sata, it takes 34 seconds. Just like xp. I will stay with Vista until it's expires. Yep, vista rocks. Go vista, go!

So, I'm sure you can pick a sata card up somewhere if you are using a desktop. For laptops, just buy a new one. Ok, for laptops you are unlucky if you have no sata. Remember that I will have my laptop until 2010, and by then it will be worthless.

Regards:

tomi

2006-11-04 03:59:36

aaron wrote:

if i can remember correctly, alex said that the person from dolphin computer access (i think that's the right company... i could be wrong here) knew someone from microsoft.
and, microsoft will probably not publish this news until the thing is released, because.... well the authorities will be on to them. heh.

Okay, the term used was "comfirmed". I would hardly call this "confirmed".

cx2
-----

2006-11-04 17:28:08 (edited by Hrvoje 2006-11-04 17:30:51)

Well, here is a text of a Blue Screen I've got during the installation of Vista:

***************************************** A problem has been detected and windows
has been shut down to prevent damage your computer UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME If this is the first time you

2006-11-04 18:33:35

to me it sounds like one of you're hardware devices does not have a device driver. Last night, I uninstalled my sata driver, and Vista stopped loading sinnce it couldn't get to my hd without Sata. Do a custom install from xp, and where you have to select partitions, select load driver. Then just locate you're driver files and click ok. Last time, I selected my audio driver, my sata driver, my ibm pm device driver, the atmal tpm security driver, and an audio bus controller. This way, my device manager had no missing drivers, an event I only saw  the first time in my life that day.

Regards:

tomi

2006-11-04 20:44:08

OK Thanks. Probably it will work the next time when I try to install, however I think it's best to wait for RTM to be out, and it will be in November 8th. It will be Build 6000. Also, I can expect having problems with JAWS Video Intercept, however I am lucky since I don't have these problems on my Laptop. I'll keep on trying to install Vista on my primary computer, and I will be also lucky if Windows Aero experience will work on it, since it doesn't work on my Laptop. And I ask myself how JAWS works with Windows Aero Trademark, huh!

2006-11-05 06:36:04

it actually works with it ok. On my vista premium laptop, I can get aero fine. Even though I don't see a fraction of it. So it's useless for me, but my sister is loving it. She also likes the new games. Duh. Now she always wants to use my computer, because her's has only 512 mb ram with 1.8 ghz celeron m and a 40 gb hardrive.

Regards:

tomi

2006-11-05 10:03:02

Oh yes, and we should also mention on this forum one important thing, known as application compatibility in Vista. Well, everything I installed for now was compatible with Vista, including Adobe Reader, WinZip, Skype, and Office 2003. However, my main problem is that Nero wont work with Vista since it is incompatible, and Nero is one of my most important programs. OK, so, I'll need to studdy how to burn MP3 DVDs using Vista. I know this feature exists, but I should see how to use it. It's important to me, since I have to burn about 50 GB of music on my DVDs!

2006-11-08 14:59:05

hi, today1 november 8, Windows Vista is released to manufacturing. After 5 years of labor, Microsoft finally released Vista. It's not as good as anticipated, but it's better then mac osx. I would not call it a major Windows release, but do to the fact that ms has rewritten the whole kernel (there's still a little nt mixed in their, though), it is. Microsoft is quickly moving away from using nt components.

Regards:

tomi

2006-11-09 00:59:51

hi again,

ok, it's over. After rtm release time of 11 am est, microsoft closed the cpp program for new members. If you are signed up for msdn or technet, you can still get rc2 and rtm from ms.

The download links still work for those who participated in the cpp:
http://download.windowsvista.com/previe … wnload.htm

If ya want a product key, you can use a pirated crack site (this is not recommended). The download links will be up for a few weeks, maybe until the end of november.

Regards:

tomi

2006-11-09 14:51:11 (edited by Hrvoje 2006-11-10 10:24:32)

Well, I think that MAC OSX for a long time contained features today found in Vista. But, I don't have Macintosh,  so I can't decide what's better and what's not. For example, Vista's Windows Calendar, Photo gallery, DVD Maker, and new Windows Media Player 11 are already known features in MAC, known as ICal, IDVD, IPhoto, and ITunes. . And, these features, I think are incorporated in MAC for a long long time. However, Microsoft completed a good job! I am glad that Windows become similar to MAC OSX.
And guys, if you need a product key for RTM Vista Ultimate, I have one, and I'll send to you if you need. I think for this key even activation is not required. But, I don't have keys for other 5 editions, unfortunately.
And Wow, Freedom Scientific released another automatic update for JAWS 7.10. This is JAWS 7.10.500. This update will make better support for Internet Explorer 7, and fix various bugs in earlier 7.10 versions. I am really surprised, but 8.0 is still not at the end of the tunnel.