2006-10-26 18:18:48

Uh, and I ask myself about JAWS 8.0 file size in megabytes. Each newer version of JAWS becomes bigger and bigger. JAWS 4.51 is just 34 MB long, but look at it now on 7.10 - now it's 63 MB! It's a big gladness because I am no longer on dial-up. Even now on ADSL, I should wait about 20 minutes for 7.10 to be downloaded! 8.0 will be probably 70 MB in size, and we should expect that JAWS 10.0 may have 100 MB *smyle* who knows!

2006-10-27 03:51:14

Might want to delete one of the posts since you double posted the same thing.

Not sure how Jaws 6 and 7 are, but I know the demo of Jaws 5 actually worked far faster on my PC then my version of 4.51.

As for the other companies, I'm sure they'll be working on Vista support too. It would be silly not to. It naturally won't be finalised yet, but then neither is Vista so it can't be.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-10-27 09:42:34

Today I'm informed that Microsoft released pre-rtm build of Vista, Build 5840. Not many changes, just new default wallpaper, changed icons, and that's it. Now I'm downloading it via Torrent, and after I burn it and install it on my Laptop, I will see it's true or faulse. And new Vista sounds and bootscreen are probably still not available. I'll see after downloading it. But I'm not sure about any big changes since RC2.

2006-10-27 09:47:26

And Freedom Scientific, I don't know what problems are they having so they still are not able to release new version of JAWS. But their workers already have hands on 8.0. It is already released for them,of course.

2006-10-27 15:51:32

hi forum!!

Well I am curious if ms has added in the new sounds yet, so if you find out please let us know. I cannot get build 5840 since I have dial-up and have no dvd burner. Previously I used to split up the iso file and burn them on seperate cds and then rejoin them. I downloaded builds 5048, 5112, 5270, 5308 at my friends house and got build 5456 from my cousin. rc1 I ordered on dvd. But ever since rc1 I haven't looked at Vista.

Microsoft is also supposed to release to rtm this oct 25 since they are starting the experr upgrade program, which will give free cuppons to new pc buyers between oct 31 and may of 2007. I do wonder what the final build number will be. i don't get how they make up the build numbers. I'm sure they use a pattern.

As for fs, on the main menu review, they are supposed to release 8.0 in a matter of days. I think they are still imrooving it for Vista. I sent them a e-mail telling them how 7.1 wolks with Vista and all they said was "jaws 7.1 does not support Vista yet" which is I think a ly.

Regards:

tomi

2006-10-27 16:08:43 (edited by Hrvoje 2006-10-27 19:50:39)

It's definitly not true that JAWS doesn't support Vista. Only what they need to do is remove problems with video intercept and make JAWS to work better with user interface in Vista, such as in Windows Explorer, and fix problems with JAWS and UAC. All other is supported and works fine with JAWS in Vista, I noticed. I can use it as my primary OS, and I use it already on my Laptop in a single-boot situation.

And of course, I will tell you what I've discovered in pre-rtm build 5840 after I burn it and install it. Since I have ADSL Internet Connection, all builds from 5308 up to 5840 I have are downloaded. And I think final build of Vista could be 5920, 5970, or something like that. I'm sure Microsoft will not include new Vista sound theme until final release in January 30th, 2007. I still cannot install Vista on my Desktop, since I still get a Blue Screen (immediately or later during the installation), and that's not all! Vista on my Desktop booted more than two minutes. That's nothing more than catastrophical. It will not be good if I will not be able to install final version on my Desktop, just Laptop. I already sent my critics to Microsoft, and probably I'm not only one with this problem. Upgrade Adviser told me that my PC is compatible, and even my NVidia card supports WDDM, but installation crashes even if I try to copy DVD contents on a Hard Drive and try to install on that way. What's wrong with my Desktop, I really don't know!

2006-10-27 20:02:12

hi, ok, well I hope that the Review on Vista will be on next week on ACB radio. I have comleted it and sent it to them. The reason I did it is because I want the blind to know about Vista and it's new features. I beleive that we, those who have tested Vista for a while, should unite and tell the other side, those who did n test Vista. We have to encourage Vista.

Regards:

tomi

2006-10-27 21:53:27

Theres a place to download vista? Well no one told me that...Where can you get it?

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2006-10-27 22:05:30 (edited by Hrvoje 2006-10-27 22:12:10)

Well, if RC1 will be available yet for download, you can go to
www.windowsvista.com
Then click on get ready, and search for Windows Vista Customer Preview Program. Pre-rtm (build 5840), which is the latest, can be downloaded via Torrent only, so you'll need UTorrent, Bit Comet, or any other program for Torrent Downloads. If you need .torrent file to take the ISO image file, EMail me at
[email protected]
and I'll send to you the attachment with Torrent file for build 5840. I also had download link for RC2 (Build 5744), but I lost it after downloading the ISO image so I can't write a link.

2006-10-28 03:53:02

I severely doubt FS are lieing.

I suspect they mean Jaws 7.10 does not support Vista to their satisfaction. The support is not complete due to issues like the video intercept. Try reading between the lines a little.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-10-28 06:18:31 (edited by Hrvoje 2006-10-28 06:24:45)

Even I heard from friend that JAWS 3.5 worked on XP, so probably and 3.7, so I don't see the reason why JAWS 7.10 may not work on Vista.
By the way, I checked out AutoUpdates folder on Freedom Scientific's WEB site. They already posted 15 patches for JAWS 8.0. The last one is JPatch8.0.391.EXE. May be after 20 patches it will be released.

2006-10-28 15:49:20

Hi
What's the ftp website for freedomscientific?
Thanks.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-10-28 15:55:27 (edited by Hrvoje 2006-10-28 16:19:04)

ftp.freedomscientific.com
But folders are hidden, and so will not be displayed. Only AutoUpdates folder should be, so you need to type in
ftp.freedomscientific.com/users/hj/private/WebFiles/AutoUpdate
But if you try to install patches, you get an error message.
Here you can find 8.0 patches. Everything begins with JPatch8.0.xxx.

2006-10-28 23:20:03 (edited by tomi 2006-10-28 23:32:53)

yep. The last time I checked that folder (about 2 weeks ago), they were up to 347.

My only problem with Vista it's slowness. I have a 1.8 t2500 core duo laptop (and my mom said that she will not buy me another  laptop for 4 years).You see, for soome reason my laptops keep breaking, my toshiba satelite a45's motherboard smoked out about 4 months ago for no reason. I had that laptop for 1 year only. And before that I had a toshiba Satelite 1115, which in the end the cd drive's metal protection (the plattor that the disks spin on) got bent, which in turn ruined all my cds. +, after 1 or 2 years, the hard-drive of that machine got like 5 gb of bad sectors. My a45 laptop had only about 3 gb of bad sectors in the end, which wasn't too bad. It broke right after I brought a new hd for it (when I finished 8th grade last year). So now I have a thinkpad t60 with 4 years of warranty on it.

But, getting back to my point:  So Vista should be fast, but no, it takes 1 minute to load wen I upgrade, and 1.5 minutes if I custom install. And this is like a state,of-the art laptop! It even says "vista ready" on the cover.

Hrvoje and any other vista users, if you have any suggestions of making Vista faster, that would be greatly appreciated.  The lag time on Vista is also twice as long as in xp. Sheesh. i never tried turning sidebar off, could this be the culpret?

also, windows calendar and contats will need to be made compatible with JAWS, they just don't work. Sidebar I don't think will be useful for the blind. Maybe the feed part would be, but with the sidebar in the way you cannot cycle between taskbar and start button, etc. You would always get into the web paine of sidebar. Annoying, if you ask me.

Regards:

tomi

2006-10-28 23:45:19 (edited by Hrvoje 2006-10-28 23:50:43)

Sidebar is turned off by default, because I never got it after installation, and I always needed to turn it on manually. On my Desktop, when I tryed to install Vista, I even waited more than two minutes to boot up, but on my Laptop it loads normally, but of course slower then XP. I have NEC Laptop with Intel Pentium 1.86 GHZ CPU, with 512 MB of RAM. On my Desktop it boots more than two minutes as I said, and I can't install Vista on it because of Blue Screen I always get during the second part of installation. On my Laptop Vista installs rather slow, especially after first reboot until the end, probably because of CPU and memory, and I never upgraded, I always used clean installation. I am sure that Windows Vista Home BASIC will install much quicker than Ultimate, since it contains only home features, without Media Center components and DVD Maker, so Home Basic edition of Vista should be installed very quickly. But I'll still use Ultimate - it's best edition for me. And if I will be able later to install it on my Desktop, I'll have Vista Home Premium on my Desktop, and Vista Ultimate on my Laptop, I decided!
I noticed that the installation goes much faster if you install Vista on an empty formatted hard drive by booting from DVD, and without downloading updates before the installation. I remember how long I waited to install build 5308 on my another Desktop. It booted very quickly, but installed from one and a half hour.

2006-10-29 00:14:03

hi,

I thought Vista won't run on 512 mb. +, if you're video ram is not dedccated (meaning that a seperate ram stick is used for the display), you technicly only have: 504 mb of ram with 32 mb video memory, 496 mb with 64 mb of video ram, and 482 mb with 128 mb graphics ram. This laptop does have an extra 256 mb ram, so I have 1.2 gb ram, but I only see 1 gb of that.

Regards:

tomi

2006-10-29 02:00:58

hi,

also, just out of curiosity, anyone knows what the sample music of Vista is saying? It's a weird language. But, as usual, the music in Vista is horrible, besides" love comes" . The others I dislike. Would of been nice if they would be able to put a Hungarian song in Vista. Rofl.

Regards:

tomi

2006-10-29 09:05:15

I'm trying to download pre-RTM build of Vista, but it stops at 99.4%, so I can't download it. This build has probably new Vista sounds. If not, we will wait until November (final RTM) or January (Final Public).
And, I have 512 MB of RAM on my Laptop, but it shows 503. However, Vista can install. On my Desktop I also have 512, but it shows just 448, and also shows the line "Physical address extension". Probably I can't install Vista because of it, but Upgrade Adviser told me: "Your computer can run Windows Vista". But Upgrade Adviser also told me that Windows Vista Business is best edition for my computer. Stupid! I am sure that I will not use business version on my Home PC.

2006-10-29 10:18:15 (edited by Hrvoje 2006-10-29 16:11:03)

Yea, good news! I have new Windows Vista Sounds. Please EMail me if you want this. These are Unofficial Vista Sounds, and will probably be included in final version. They sound very good, and are not created by Microsoft as I am informed. However I am 95% sure we will hear these sounds in final version of Vista. All you need to do is extract the archive and copy all sound files to C:\Windows\Media folder. Replace all sounds with these new by choosing "copy and replace" , and you're done! It's hard to find it on the Internet, so I can send it to you viaEMail, MSN Messenger or Skype. My Skype name is hrvojekatic, my MSN address is [email protected]. My primary  EMail address is [email protected]. So, if you want new Vista sounds on your Vista Beta/RC1, contact me immediately.
Note: The ZIP file is 1 MB in size. One known problem is that you'll still hear the XP Startup Sound, and then Vista sound after that. So uncheck the startup music checkbox in sound scheme dialog box. Aw, and Vista startup sound makes me sleepy.

2006-10-29 18:46:18

hi, can you please send me the sounds  to [email protected] . 1 mb is not a lot. also, can you tell me if they are the same as in the Vista transformation pack? They did post a fake sound scheme that I got for xp about 2 months ago.

Regards:

tomi

2006-10-29 19:14:56

These sounds are from Vista Transformation pack version 5.5. And people say that these are unofficial sounds, so I don't know will Microsoft include them in final version, or they will be different.

2006-10-29 19:27:11 (edited by Hrvoje 2006-10-29 19:32:39)

So everybody think these sounds are fake because they're not created by Microsoft? I think they're not fake, especially if any of the Microsoft's known beta-testers created them. And Microsoft probably told people that these sounds are fake to avoid installing new sounds until final release. They probably wanted for these sounds to be final surprise. However, if these are fake, I'll use them on XP, because they sound much better then original XP sounds.

2006-10-29 19:52:54

so wait, do you know if these are the same as in the pre rtm build? There might be a way to extract the wim files.

Also, I will try to add you to my msn list so we can chat about Vista.

Regards:

tomi

2006-10-29 20:04:02 (edited by Hrvoje 2006-10-29 20:17:28)

I'm downloading pre-rtm build for fourth time already, since I had problems with some Torrent trackers. I will tell you what I discovered after I install it.
My MSN is: [email protected]. If I am not online, I will add you to my list after I sign in.

2006-10-30 21:35:48

cx2 wrote:

I don't believe Microsoft could possibly get away with anything more than simply checking you have properly purchased software. And BTW, it's spelled V I S T A.

Now if Microsoft did do this it would:
Cause *huge* controversy and legal action based on invasion of privacy.
Cause many people to stick with XP or Vista and not upgrade.
Cause people just buying a computer to buy Macs.
Cause more technical people to head for Linux, fast.

In short, it would probably be the end... or at least the beginning of the end for Microsoft.

Hi,
I don't think Microsoft could get away with it. Loads of people would complane.