2006-10-07 13:38:46

Hi,
I have a question about the Audio Game Maker.
Do any of you guys out there think they will stop develiping it like some people stop develiping games? I hope not. What do you guys think?

2006-10-07 19:38:03

Hi,

That's a weird question but I understand where you're coming from. The Audio Game Maker will be developed, that's for sure smile

Greets,

Richard

http://www.audiogames.net
http://www.game-accessibility.com
http://www.accessibility.nl

2006-10-07 21:59:43

Hello
Will this Audio Game Maker be free?
Thanks.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-10-08 03:44:16

That's a question that even the developers haven't worked out an answer to yet as far as I know. It may be free but I kinda doubt it. Even if it's not, hopefully it won't be too expensive. I've noticed that audio games don't tend to be all that expensive with a few notable exceptions. GMA's titles tend to get a bit on the pricy side, but they are the ones who've brought us the most complex titles so far. Monty has a great deal of potential. I'm just glad that Thomas decided not to totally revamp the game into a Tomb Raider style game. People paid for an accessible version of the original Atari title (or as close to same as can be done without visuals), and thankfully that's exactly what they'll be getting. There was some heated debate on the Audyssey list about that. A few of the guys wanted Thomas to scrap the side scroller and turn it into a 3-D game with all kinds of bells and whistles. They kept after him even after he'd made his decisions. Apparently they felt that Monty was too old so it needed to be updated or it would have no replay value. Now don't mistake me for a minute, I'm all for bringing a  healthy measure of complexity to the AG market. Goodness knows it needs it. But the majority voted and so Thomas is going with that. I kinda got the feeling he was hoping they would vote the way they did. But as to the Audio Game Maker, as long as it'll allow us to put some really challenging games out there, games that really offer an enriching experience instead of the same what? I already beat it? type scenario that seems to be dismayingly common in current titles (I beat Descent into Madness in less than an hour), I'll get it whether it's free or not. Granted if it turns out to be a hundred bucks I might have to wait a while, but let's just see if they're going to charge for it at all before we start griping about the price.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-10-08 04:35:40

Hi
I saw the debate on the mailing list about Monty and I would have to agree that he should keep it as it was like in the old version but anyways, I guess we'll have to wait until the Audio Game Maker is finished to find out the price.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-10-08 10:37:06

Well, fortunately for me even the Gma games aren't too expensive, working out at only about 22 pounds or so, where as for comparison Gba games can be as much as 25 or 30, and some Gamecube games have gone up to 40, though not from the nice shops I buy games from hehe.

About monty I can't speak, but I'm all for more complexityin audio games. Descent into madness hasn't been the only audio game that's comparatively short and easy, there have been several great games that just weren't all that long. Tarzan Jr (good but short), Bavisoft's games (fun though they were), Pipe2 blast chamber, Super football (which I could beat on the super difficulty within one day of downloading the game), and Hunter also come to mind, at least in my case.

Games like Hunter are stil fun to play, for the rich sound effects if nothing else, but a bit of exploration and longer game play wouldn't come ammis.

It also gets up my nose that some audio games (particularly in Sapi adaptations), get repeated by various people. Ian humphries is now developing Yahtsy, which Jim kitchen has done already, and how many accessible Sudocu games are there now?

Hopefully the audio game maker will remedy this problem to some extent. I don't think it'll end up being too expensive, sinse if only some people could afford it, that would defeat the purpose of making game creation open to all.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-10-08 14:55:59

And let's remember that audio games are still cheaper than mainstream PC games. I've been out of the loop for a few years, but as of about 2002 ish the average PC game was

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-10-08 16:02:19

I for one don't mind paying for audio games most of the time, and often I buy games like Dyna man that I wouldn't normally considder, simply because they're cheap. Unlike in my main stream game buying, I do sometimes buy audio games more for the contstruction of their sound effects and environments than for their game play (the Pyrate memory game was one of these). I will admit I am a bit prone to buy audio games on a whim if they seem good enough to me, which I certainly don't do with main stream games. Perhaps if the markit increased I might have to change my habbits.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-10-08 19:07:01

Funny. I just bought a Mainstream game yesterday for my GBA. I saw Final Fantasy IV Advance at the grocery store and decided to pick it up. I'd had the original Super NES incarnation which was Final Fantasy II in the US and I was curious to see how good of a port they did to the GBA. So far as I can tell it was a much better translation than the SNES version. Some place names are different as are the boss names, but it's cool. At least they had the sense to leave the music alone. I mean they reworked the quality but they didn't redo the entire score the way they did with the Game Boy Color remake of Crystalis. Crystalis, for those that are unfamiliar, was an old Adventure/RPG for the NES. You played the role of a young warrior on a quest to find four magical swords which, when combined, would form the only weapon capable fo defeating a powerful Emperor Mage who seeks to dominate the world. The NES installment had some of the best music ever to come from that system, but when they remade it for GBC they completely replaced those wonderful tracks with new ones that were mediocre at best. Hmmm, that gives me an idea. If the Audio Game Maker allows it I'll have to try and make an accessible version of Crystalis, with the old music firmly where it belongs. I know a sight that has great MIDI versions of the songs so that shouldn't be a problem. And since I won't be making any money off of it it should be legal.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-10-08 19:57:50

Hi
If you're going to make that RPG with the same music as the mainstream game, do you think you can get some of the same sound effects?
Game Man

Game Man

2006-10-08 21:16:45

Probably not since they are NES effects, but I'm sure I could come up with similar, fitting ones. I'm also thinking of doing a remake of the original NES Final Fantasy using MIDI music. It wouldn't be exactly the same since I probably couldn't use the same character creation system, but I could at least use the story. The reason I say I couldn't use the same character creation system is I don't know how flexible the AG Maker is going to be.  In Final Fantasy you assigned a class to each character I.E. Monk, White Wizard, Black Wizard, Warrior etc. and gave them names. I don't think that would work here, so I thought I'd create one of each class of character and give them certain stats and names in the same style as Baldur's Gate. For instance you could have Vahn the Warrior, skilled with weapons but not so well versed in magic. Of course a Warrior can become a Paladin at a later point in the game, and Paladins can use magic. Then you might have Darius, the Black Wizard, whose skill at offensive magic would be his strongest point. I think you get my drift. I could have ready-made characters whose starting stats were all set up, and all you would need to do is train them up by fighting monsters. Then you could still have the versatility of completing the game with any combination of characters you wanted. I might also introduce a Job system similar to some of the later Final Fantasy games, where a character could actually change classes in the middle of the game and still retain certain abilities from other classes. For instance you could have a Thief skilled in magic or a Mage with some skill in weaponry like a Warrior. Other classes might be Monks, who fight best without weapons, Summoners, special Mages who can summon Elementals and other spirits to aid you in battle, and Mystic Knights (also known as Paladins), who possess both the ability to use regular magic and the ability to attach spells to their swords. Basically what that would mean was that you'd use the Sword command, select your spell and, then every time you attacked an enemy normally, your sword would be imbued with whatever spell you set on it for the duration of that battle. Sword Magic, as it's called, did quite a lot of damage in the FF games. That'd be kinda cool to implement in an audio RPG.

2006-10-08 22:39:01

Translations onto Gb ports were always dodgy music wise. The two Mega man Xtreme games which were bought out on Gameboy colour both had fairly atrocious wrenderings of the Snes (and in the case of Mega man X 3), even Playstation music from the original game series. Suffice it to say, that the music was a disappointment to say the least.

I like the idea of accessible Rpg's, particularly if the class system can be made flexible enough. My one concern with any class system in a roleplay setting is that you get locked into charactors being "I are fighter, I hit things with sword" and "I am cunning magical wizard, just don't hit me"

From a plot point of view it's not exactly fantastic, and it also imho makes completing tasks in the game a lot more automated and less fun.

to say that though, i've got the final fantasy 4 script which does (according to my friend), utilize a class system, and the plot is rather cool ---- accepting that Sessil has to be the least heroic name for any charactor ever devised (grin).

I do slightly worry when people talk about rpg games that we'll end up with something that is basically constant dungeoning and stat crunching with no actual plot ----- similar to some of the early zelda games, who's plot is basically:

"Evil wizard is taking over the land, you must go through lots of dungeons to stop him"

My favourite Rpg of all time is Xenogears for the playstation, which had such an impressive plot I'm progressively novelizing it (check my website link if your interested), though I suspect that we'll have to wait a good few years before audio rpg's can get up to that standard.

2006-10-09 00:09:39

Hi,

(drum roll please)

Audio Game Maker v. 1.0 will be available for FREE as a DOWNLOAD from Game-Accessibility.com in the beginning of 2007 (Februari).

Due to the extremely short development time (4 months in total, from concept to final download) this 'first' version might be a bit limited in functionality *compared* to all the ideas that we would like to implement. Audio Game Maker is really becoming an amazing tool with every day of development. But unfortunately, development runs untill December and then we only have 1 months to do the website, the tidying-up, debugging, testing, that sort of things. We are therefore already considering a sequel-project which would allow us to add more development time on this tool. But it is way too early to discuss that yet.

Keep a close watch on this forum and www.Game-Accessibility.com. And buzz the air, folks!

Greets,

Richard

2006-10-09 07:32:00

that sounds awesome Richard!

2006-10-09 11:11:10

Nice! Right now I'm playing around with hat Adrift Text Adventure creator, and while it seems like a cool system I don't think it's going to be what I'm looking for. Granted I did think highly enough of it to pay the eighteen or so dollars necessary to register it, but at least with the AG Maker I'll have more options. I could see using Adrift to create, say, a Mini Sryth type game, only not nearly as much fun. That and the whole Task system's a bit confusing.

2006-10-09 13:44:18

applauds richard and blows trumpet! that's fantastic, to be honest the speed of the developement of this project is rather staggering, when set against things like Chillingham 2, but then again, I suppose there's not as much mucking about with sound files involved.

brian, I did actually have an idea for an online text based game, based around making successful friendly contact with alien races. The idea was to have a game which is a cross betwene Fighting fantasy and the Sryth random encounters system. But as one big aspect of the game was going to be letting players create their own encounters and submit them to the game, I don't believe it'd be possible to impliment with the audio game maker ---- though of course I could be wrong.

Oncemore, if anyone's interested in the idea please let me know.

2006-10-09 17:17:41

dark empathy wrote:

applauds richard and blows trumpet! that's fantastic, to be honest the speed of the developement of this project is rather staggering, when set against things like Chillingham 2, but then again, I suppose there's not as much mucking about with sound files involved.

Hi,

We have a team of 5 people working on it, with three people full time (although one will start in November). But of course, this *is* a professional project (compared to most ventures in the audio game business)...

Greets,

Richard

http://www.game-accessibility.com

2006-10-10 17:47:44

Hi,
Thanks for the information Richard!
I have one question:
What kinds of games can this Game Maker actually creat?

2020-05-03 20:48:18

It is now 2020. They have stopped making this project. I hate to revive this post again but. This project could have had some potental.

2020-05-03 22:31:56

If you hate reviving this, then just don't. you had to revive a 13 years topic, are you crazy. you could create a new one.

2020-05-03 22:57:31

i'm not against reviving old topics, but when you do it you nead to have a reason, just reviving a 13 years old topic just for saying that thing could be cool if it kept updating! no one will listen for you! they wont get the program back up just because you wanted that, why do you eavin put in efert of searching for that topic

2020-05-04 00:00:00

The reason why I want to revise this topic is because I would like to contact the developers. They haven’t really said anything on stop updating. and I also tried this thing out, and, the sounds don’t seem to load

2020-05-04 00:47:15

the devs haven't updated this senswe 2007 and it was buggy and barily worked anyway... Why was this topic revived anyway? Mods, maybe add an extension that klocks all topics over like 3 years old?

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2020-05-04 01:14:00

Or maybe a feature where you can revive topics that are really old, but the mods have to review your post to make sure it's a good reason.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2020-05-04 02:44:11

That being said, I'm glad someone did revive this topic. I was wondering why this project failed the way it did. I now understand why. If you would look at Richard's old post, that's way to short of a development time for five people working on an engine. Five people or not, if a project is getting rushed with such unrealistic deadlines, you're going to cut corners, thus killing your project before it leaves the door. Now, if it were given a bit more time, it could have been better. That being said, you don't want this project out for too long, otherwise, it gets stuck in development hell. The fact that they were planning a sequal project suggests it might have been worth it to wait and delay the project to make the necessary improvements and polish what they had. I think this thread is more than a worth while case study. It was a good first attempt, but given time, and perhaps a bit less hype, it might be possible to achieve better. So that being said, thank you for bringing this topic back up. I don't know if I would find it otherwise. It's interesting seeing this engine brought into discussion again. Even  more so since, such things would have been in my field of  study, and I hope to return to this research.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"