2006-10-03 09:23:14

Hello.

Sinse I'm now on their mailing list, I found an E-mail this morning from Ian Humphries about the release of a new game, Bg boggle, here's the text of the mail:

Hi,

Ian Humphreys from Spoonbill Software here. You are receiving this email because you have previously requested a Blind gamers game. This is to announce the release of Blind gamers Boggle 1.0

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-10-07 14:32:47

Hi,
I might try that game. Has anyone downloaded it yet?

2006-10-07 15:38:19 (edited by Game Man 2006-10-07 15:39:52)

Hi
I think if my memory serves me correctly, you have to send an e-mail telling him to send the game and he will send it on a disk. You'll have to give him your address so he can mail it to you.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-10-07 16:51:31

Game man is right, I'm just waiting for my copy of the game at the moment, but when I get it you'll recieve a full report.

Btw, I already have the Hearts and cribbage card games, as well as a game called lap which is vaguely similar to mine sweeper. They're all rather good, and so I expect good things from Boggle. to see the full range of Ian Humphries' games go to:

http://www.omninet.net.au/~irhumph/blindgamers.htm

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-10-08 17:00:29

here's how ian works:
you send an e-mail to him, telling him what game you want.
then he sends it as an e-mail.
no disks involved, no fees. i just wish that he just hosted the games as downloadable material, since they are so small -- 100 kb each!

2006-10-08 22:03:56

To be honest Aaron, I don't particularly mind E-mailing Ian Humphries for the games, sinse (as you said), they are free. I do agree that it does mean you have to wait a couple of days for Ian to mail your games to you, but this is never really a problem, after all, if you try the game and don't like it you can always delete it.

I haven't tried any of the solitare games, or Sudocu or 15 puzle yet, but I probably will in the future.

My only main problem with Ians games thus far, is I'd like to see him make some more strategical games with actual opponents, rather than positional puzle type games, but that's just a matter of personal preference.

Boggle is rather a challenging game, particularly as the word list seems to have some very obscure words. It does feature several of the lovely features Ian includes with his games, such as the ability to play midi files during the game, sound effects, saving and reloading, and lots of handy speak keys. One feature that I always like of Ians' games which is particularly nice in boggle, is the ability to play with a maximized window, and have the letters white on black, which is helpfull to those like me who have a limited amount of site.

while scrabble esque games wouldn't be my first choice to play, Boggle is certainly intreaguing, and if the difficulty doesn't put me off I can see myself sitting down with it quite often.

I don't know if I'd have been willing to pay for the game had it not been free, but sinse it is, I'd reccommend anyone try it out.

2006-10-10 15:20:29 (edited by nikosdemetriou 2006-10-10 15:24:01)

I tried emailing him to get the boggle game but my mail came back.
Did anyone else had this problem?
I requested the 15 numbers in the past and my email got there but i don't know why it doesn't at the moment.
The only difference from last time is that i didn't put the ful version of the game in my email. I just said i would like the boggle game.
I don't know if he has got filters and if somebody doesn't include the ful name and version of the game that the emails don't get there.
So what do you think?

And by the way i didn't get any updates from him since i requested the 15 numbers. I thought that by requesting a game we are in his email list for new updates.
Thanks
Nikos

Visit www.freesound.org/people/NikosDemetriou/sounds/ to hear some of my recordings.

2006-10-11 02:39:58

I did wonder myself if he used filters when I first requested games, sinse I sent a general E-mail asking him to considder producing a couple of games, and also stating "I'd like to try Hearts and cirbbage"

He didn't reply to this mail for quite a while, so I sent another E-mail requesting the games in exactly the same phrase he uses on his site. but he replied to the first E-mail, and I sent a message back appologising for the extra mails I sent him and he replied saying that he didn't use filters.

I also think he attaches the games to the game E-mails separately, sinse (by mistake), first he sent me the Boggle E-mail with no attachment before he sent the game.

He does seem like a pretty nice fellow, so I'm sure if you mail him (the mailing links on the site certainly worked for me), he can fix the trouble and send you Boggle. It does however seem that it takes him a few days to reply to whatever mail is sent him though, he's obviously very busy.

2006-10-11 02:48:10

Yes i understand he is busy but the problem is that  when i send the emails i get an email from the hotmail postmaster back saying that my email could not be send.
I don't understand why.
I tried twice.

Visit www.freesound.org/people/NikosDemetriou/sounds/ to hear some of my recordings.

2006-10-11 15:36:23

Hi,

For those wondering about the email-distribution instead of download-distribution:

AudioGames.net once approached Ian with the offer to host his files for him, since he mentioned on his website that he didn't want to spend money on too much traffic. Ian replied saying that aside from the traffic-issue, distribution through email is much more worthwhile for him. For him it's a chance to meet the people who use his programs and keep track how the amount of people who play his games. And I agree with him on that matter. So if you've received a copy of a game from Ian, why not send him an email sharing your experiences with it?

Greets,

Richard