2012-09-14 05:48:49

hi cae.
the dropbox services came back yesterday.
Everything works again as it should.
all dropbox systems are back up now.

2012-09-14 13:03:53

Ah, that's good to know. I keep forgetting their space limits; is it 2gb? If so, I _should_ be able to host the patch there.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-14 14:02:24

Ok, the updated version is about uploaded:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/JLA.zip

I didn't save a changelog, but it's mostly this:
- seem to have fixed a mysterious bug that could cause the game to crash with a runtime error.
- A few voices for early enemies and civilians added
- Echoes reduced in volume, with the option to disable them entirely added to the main menu.
- Enemies should talk slightly more often (though in practice, getting this up to frequently enough to be helpful without being too much is still proving difficult)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-14 15:11:50

Hi,
It's easier, but still  a mess, but a more distinguishable mess. It still didn't really help, but at least some progress is being made. This an early version after all so I'm not going to be too harsh on it.

2012-09-14 16:00:58

I don't really know how to make it any better, hahaha.
My original plan calls for as many objects as possible to make sound. After playing with only the sounds there are now, I'm pretty sure that'd make things worse.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-14 20:11:04

Well i tried playing the first version the other day and it broke my computer or rather something broke.  and my sound card crashed so had to restart it.  but it doesn't matter, i'll be trying the new version to see if that has the same problem.

My TARDIS: time and relative dimension in space machine.  its bigger. on the inside.  infinitely bigger on the inside.

2012-09-14 20:23:03

Tried the new version.. I need to say this is considerably better. I did have to turn the echo off though, because it had a delay of at least a second.
The new voices did make things better,, and if we get more, and grunts for people getting hit in addition to dying, it will be even better.
Now then, my new problem is how the heck do I defeat the joker... big_smile
P.S, the wallhit sounds don't seem to be working even though I've put them in.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2012-09-14 20:38:55

Hm, that is curious about the wallhit sounds. Just to be sure, the bit-depth isn't 24, by any chance?
Sometimes, the Joker will drop grenades on himself. I assume he does this just to mess with Batman. This is rare, though.

At the doctor: I have no idea how trying to run the game could have caused that, but I get the feeling that nothing I've changed would impact that one way or another. Did it start playing any sound at all before things started breaking?

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-14 21:25:02

Awwesome Awwesome Th is gona be Awwesome

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-09-15 01:40:24

Hi, I just don't understand when you press enter on like the buildings and things, how do you move around. like I can't seem to tell if I am in the guard's building or not. I am still quite confused. I really think some kind of interactive tutorial should be made.

2012-09-15 01:58:15

Yes, I think if you could include a tutorial that would make things easier for beginners. And perhaps if you can make a learn game sounds menu that would help even more and the game gets even better and less confusing.

2012-09-15 03:51:36 (edited by jason polaski 2012-09-15 04:03:29)

So I haven't played the game. I need a new pair of headphones. I did listen to the recording, and, even though I'm not sure if this gives me the right to comment, I'm going to anyway because I can't program but the creative proccess of audio games is super interesting. But given  that I haven't played, feel free to ignore what follows. .
   First, I want to say that just the concept of this leaves me super pumped, and the recording you posted sounds like a good foundation.
   Second. I'm so pumped I hope that this is your project for a while, unless you switch to x-men instead.
   Third. Here's where I start commenting about a game I haven't played. Man, it all comes back to sound obviously, and in theory having every object make sounds makes sense.
   The problem arises when sounds muddy the waters rather than clarifying them. I listened to that recording and can tell why people have issues.
   I might get fairly harsh. If the game didn't have any potencial I wouldn't even bother.
  As I said before it comes back to sounds. There's a section of the first level where you can hear rain and distant car horns and an enemy saying you wanta mess, and that in combination feels like gothom City.
   Enemies should talk more, which is difficult because hearing the same five phrases a billian times would leave a player more crazy than the joker, but if its done well, as the voice samples that currently exist are, then its going to be awesome.
   I like the fighting sounds, they sound fairly brutal, as they should, again, they'd sound better with screams and grunts of pain.
   As someone else said, something about the footsteps sounds really grindingly off, everyone sounds like little leggo people or action figures running around rather than people running around a city.  I think that diversity of sound is important, element A and element B should sound absolutely nothing alike.
   I know I'm now getting super obvious and probably getting anoying  but now I'm just musing as I write this. Obviously sound is graphics for blind people, and unlike producing a bunch of top notch graphics, finding a bunch of top notch sounds can potencially be free. When I listened to that recording half the sounds struck me as like ps2 or ps3 quality and the other half sounded supernintendoish or ps1ish. I havesome free time if you wanted help collecting sounds. I can't program but I can troll for sounds.
  I like the idea of lots of stuff to interact with. But let me go on a cordinate rant if you don't mind.
   I hate math. I know what x and y cordinates are and how to read them, but to picture myself on a graph is a constant effort and not a fun one. Its far more useful to look right and hear like, house, enemy, pit, house, car, and then I know what's on my right, I don't need to know what's twenty-seven steps to my right because I'm not going to count my steps.
   I'll comment after I've actually played. Lol. But this  superhero sidescroller idea is awesome and I hope that there are lots of updates in the future.

2012-09-15 11:56:06

I'll try to get the look features to use more relative directions for the next version.
Something I did for the ledge detection was to play the drop sound at variable volume, which I'm starting to think was a bad idea. There's a point in the recording where I grapplinghook atop a building, and the drop to the left is easy to hear, but the one on the right not so much.

For a while I was test-playing with Swamp's steps, but I didn't want to release it with those without Kai's permission, which I don't have as of now.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-15 14:16:25

I'm sure you can use them, he ripped them off of a paid library anyway.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2012-09-15 15:06:12

Indeed he did, a hollywood pack i think. Anyway, great job CAE, love the game man. I concur with jason, some of the sounds remind me of a PS1 game while the majority are more modern sounding, perhaps attempt to make the sounds all have the same quality feel and make no compromises. This isn't meant to sound harsh just a suggestion. I also have never gotten along well with x and y positioning, like you said, perhaps more relative dirrections would be more helpfull.

2012-09-15 15:17:21 (edited by gamedude 2012-09-15 15:18:49)

Oh my gosh! This game is so cool! I couldn't understand some of it at first, but with most games that confused me, it suddenly just clicked! If you would like to know how to beat level 2 a little bit easier than just running around flailing your arms wildly in the air, read on!
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
You will start on the left side of the screen. Blast all of the enemies that you can out of the way using about 2 grenades. You don't want to use them all before you have to defeat Joker. Then, just wait on the left side of the screen for Joker to come after you. Continue to check his coordinates using the B key. If you find your self confronted by some enemies before Joker, just kill then the best you can without using grenades, or those boomerang things. When he's pretty close to you, then use the rest of your grenades on him. If you run out before he dies, use those boomerang thingys that I can't remember the name of. He should be dead by then. If he's not, then just start punching the heck out of him with your fists. Don't go after him, or you will just get more and more confused if you are playing the level for the first time. If you have beaten the level more than once, then feel free to go exploring and try and get familiar with the level's layout. I just kept getting confused with level 2's gameboard.
P.s. Umm. What was I going to say for the post script? lol! Oh yeah! This is assuming that you are playing with Batman of course!

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2012-09-15 15:35:02

Heh, you forgot one important element of level 2... Those security doors.
The access card that opens them always appears somewhere to the left of the first one, though it might be on top of something. You use it just like your normal abilities, (select it with 0 and press space to use it). It's clearly a good idea to clear the enemies around you before using it, of course!

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-15 15:36:32

Hi! I have a problem. I don't know, how to hide in towers and rooms. I try walking to this position, but nothing happened.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2012-09-15 17:48:24

I just beat the whole game! It took 3 hours, but I did it! Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! I! Will! Rule! the! world! Anyway, are you going to make a game using the Avengers as the theme? That sounds like something I might start working on.

2012-09-15 18:26:41

Woah, awesome! I wasn't expecting anyone to get through it that fast!
I might try something Marvel eventually (the 2d X-men games are among those I'd really like to be able to play, and Spider-man and Venom: Maximum Carnage is made of concentrated awesome).

Now, I wonder how many bonus characters you unlocked? smile

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-15 18:52:40

My favorite character is Lex Luthor!

2012-09-15 19:50:11

this, sounds, kick, ass! gonna try it later tongue
oh, also cae if you're looking for more voice files I've got a sound rip of MK VS DC somewhere if you're interested

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2012-09-15 20:15:50

hi cae.
This game is good but it isn't amazingror me yet, because alot of things should be changet.
The most important think, which I am not understand is the coordination system.
I don't know, what it means in 2D game mode.
I think, that you should change a looking system.
I am saying about a looking system which is implemented in Perilous hearts.
There the position of obiect is spoken relatively to me for example.
The dead monkey- 50 feet .
You can check by using yourarrow keys, and notice, that the item or building is belove or above of you.
I think that it will be more better, that the current coordinate system, which is stupid for me.
You can add an option, where every user can change the obiects announcements.
Nd I also agree with some porsons, that any recording will be helpfull for every one.

2012-09-15 21:48:15

Well, x-men? Cae, if you will make x-men game, with combo system, etc, it will be totally avesome, totally.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2012-09-15 23:06:40

Combo system? Hm, I wasn't thinking that far ahead... I was more wondering between things like the X-Men game for genesis (more platforming and puzzle-based) and Maximum Carnage (more like Streets of Rage, except with all the powers of Spider-man, wall-crawling, webshooters, etc). And as a bonus, both of those games include summons (I'm not sure how many in Maximum Carnage were among the Avengers... Captain America at least, and I think Firestar...? I don't know enough about Ironfist or Deathlock...).
... Both of those games were the kind that were very hard even with all of the best cheats enabled. X-Men's cheats included the ability to skip to the last level, but the final boss is crazy-hard to hit. Maximum Carnage does not include level select, and even with cheats giving you invincibility and infinite assists, it takes quite a while to get through some of those levels.

... -_- This is why I focus on platformers. tongue (and Sonic, and Mario... I got to Megaman too late, I fear).

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.