2012-09-11 19:03:09 (edited by CAE_Jones 2012-09-11 19:04:54)

The second level is one that (usually) requires looking around the high places.
Eeks, I don't remember if I mentioned this in the readme or not...
There are items you can collect that get mapped to the 0 key. However, picking up another character's ammo usually won't let you use it.

I usually try for a mainstream feel to my games, though I'm still struggling with making that a sign of quality rather than confusion, heh.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-11 20:33:49

Hi! This game is very cool. Congratulations!

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2012-09-11 21:31:22

Hi, its a really grate game.
Do I move right or left?
There seemed to be nothing on the left and lots on the right.

2012-09-11 21:34:01 (edited by stewie 2012-09-11 21:57:09)

The problem I seem to be having is that about 50 cars all drive at me at once. I checked with the alt look thing and they are cars. It's actually physically impossible to jump over them because you don't jump fast enough when up arrow is pressed. Is there some way to avoid them?

Also I had to re-extract the game because for some odd reason the zip file had become corrupted. This happened to a friend of mine as well. I'm not sure what caused it.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2012-09-11 22:25:54

If you weren't close enough to x=0 to run out of their range... did you have any grapplinghooks, by any chance? It's possible that you were being rushed by a lot of traffic with no buildings or lamp posts in reach, but that's not all that common.
Of course, a grapplinghook takes time to get you up anywhere, and if something interrupts it you lose one of them, so be careful.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-11 22:37:59

Hi,
I don't really no if this is a spoiler but i really nead help.
how do I defete soloman grundy?

I hit him but nothing happens sad
hmm...

I'm gone for real :)

2012-09-11 22:41:14 (edited by stewie 2012-09-11 22:41:30)

there are no lamp posts within reach. and when I attempt to just run for 1 the traffic keeps throwing me back to a position less than 0

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2012-09-12 00:05:06 (edited by CAE_Jones 2012-09-12 00:05:49)

At Brad: Solemon Grundy is resistant to projectiles, and is very durable. (The likelyhood that he will reflect a projectile goes up with difficulty). The best solution really seems to be to find the position where he's least likely to hit you and punch for a while. (Or use lots of projectiles if you're playing on easy).

At Stewie: Hm, and no alleys in reach either? If you can get into one (press enter with nothing else blocking the way) cars should go past you. Or if you're feeling particularly un Batman-like, grenades can destroy them (though it sounds like there are more cars than grenades).
Oh, and just to be clear, holding shift works on jumping/flying as well as running.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-12 00:56:30

I was able to get onto a building but is there something that would notify you whether your about to fall off the edge? I was just walking along and fell.

2012-09-12 01:12:26

Not much, which is why I added the pit sound from Mario. The biggest problem with that is that it only detects the edges of what you're currently on, not any that might be close enough to walk onto before falling. Still, if you can hear it over any other noise, it's your best clue, unless you have the sizes of objects memorized (I don't!).

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-12 09:37:04

hmm, well, I figured out that wonderwoman's hephaestus ability can also destroy cars. Takes a few hits though. It seems that parasite is a whole bunch ot people all at once or something. It's really weird, I got it down to 30.23 hp by lassoing it and then hitting it with hephaestut, but then that stopped working and I didn't know what to do. What gives?

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2012-09-12 09:46:42

how did you guys manage to go past level 2? i'm stuck there..

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2012-09-12 13:06:26 (edited by CAE_Jones 2012-09-12 13:07:46)

Parasite absorbs the abilities, health and power from whoever he touches. The abilities happen instantly, but he gradually can take your health and power (and replenish his own) if he's touching you.
Before I taught bosses how to aim their attacks, my main strategy was to just attack them from above. This isn't quite as effective as it was back then, I think.
And I imagine Hephaestus stopped working because it takes power to use, and you ran out before you could finish him.

@nin: What problems specifically are you having with level2? Are the enemies overwhelming, having trouble getting through the doors, is the Joker just a jerk?

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-12 13:47:58

actually i have problems with navigating through the level. i don't know when to go up and if the enemies are on the same level as me. also i sometimes get stuck somewhere and i can't move only some steps. i have no idea what is happening around me.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2012-09-12 19:44:27

I'm not sure what to recommend other than using the look commands.

Actually, I'm beginning to think I should make the echo optional. Right now, sounds echo off of tall structures, mostly to indicate where they are. This can be distracting or confusing in many places, though, and it seems like the current step sounds are a bit too loud for the echo to work in its current form.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-13 03:49:06

Hi, I'm a bit confused about the game. I hear the sound of things that I need to pick up and so I press the enter key to do so. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm thinking that means that they are either in the alleyway, or on a roof or something. How do I know that I'm near an alleyway, elevator or possibly where I can climb on the roof? Thank you.

2012-09-13 04:38:58

This game is amazing!
Spoilers ahead:
I think my favorite char so far is the Joker. I'm not sure how to unlock the rest smile but I will figure it out.

2012-09-13 11:15:05

At Sean-terry01: The look commands (alt+space and alt+the directions) may help in that regard.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-13 16:07:30

I can't do coast city, that level is swarming with cars and I can't go anywhere without ending under te weels of one.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2012-09-13 16:21:05

Green Lantern can fly, though he's probably one of the slowest characters.
I usually use flying characters in Coast City.

Oh, another thing about GL:
If you find a green lantern, it restores your power to full. So grabbing one when you're already at full power would be a waste.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-13 18:18:39

So, I finally got time to try the game.
I wish I could make some positive comments here, but I can't. Maybe I haven't played the game enough, maybe I just suck. I don't know. The game is like a nearly accessible mainstream game which just needs a few sounds to make it fully playable. Or, lots of documentation is missing.
I find this game so confusing that I was about to give up when playing level 1. Then suddenly, I completed it just by keep trying and by getting more confused. I don't know what I did to complete that level.
Level 2, well, I tried to do to get used to the game and how it all works. I grabbed some items, jumped around just to do something and looked around which just confused me even more. I don't see how this can be a 2D game when there's both x, y and z coordinats. I can't get a picture of where I am and where all other objects are when a 2D movement game technically is a 3D game.
I don't know what to do when I suddenly is unable to continue walking. Jumping and walking doesn't help, running left does help some times, other times you just run without anything happening and other times, you're randomly thrown into other places where you are the only object to locate.
I don't know what kind of help I should ask for, because I'm not totally sure on what I'm having trouble with in this game. I'm now in level 3, and it just seems like everything is randomly happening so I don't know what to do.
The last thing I have to say is: Congratulations of making a complex game which seems to be really great when it's finnished. It's just sad I find it that much confusing.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-09-13 19:54:40

Gotta agree with SLJ at the moment. As it stands now, the game is a giant chaotic mess of sounds with no fun factor whatsoever. Good idea in concept, horrible exicution. This game could definitely benefit from purely  defined areas, rather than badly randomly generated tripe.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2012-09-13 21:43:18

Hi.
I'm on level hmm five or six? its the one with aqua man in it as the main char.
I must admit that this game is confusing but fun. its confusing because most of the time you don't really know what's going on but fun because well, bat man with big explotion things that I can't be bothered to go back alode of posts to fined? oh yeah the things that go cabooooom! begin with g. and hey! kei, you no wonderwoman? lasso, not doing what its seposte  to ya no...
although I think it would be very very very hard for you to actualy make it do what its sepost to do, wich is control people and make them do what she wants.
you no, i'd like some history on wonderwoman. I have graphic audio. (if you haven't checked them out do so, trusst me you won't regret it.).
check them out at.
www.graphicaudio.net
But it would be nice to get history on all of the j l.
oh yeah sorry for the bad spelling of that stupid word, is it even a word?
seposte.
ser post.
smile

I'm gone for real :)

2012-09-13 22:51:03

Well, yeah, the Golden Lasso of Truth is supposed to force whoever is caught in it to speak only the truth... which I suppose could be useful if I had a level where you have to interrogate someone for information, or something... XD

I think the biggest problems people are having is due to too much noise, and too little distinction between whose making the noise.
I'm trying to take steps to get civilians to make less walking noise, and I've got a few voice files for some of them and enemies (although the enemies don't seem to be using them as much as I'd like. -_- ).
I've also added the ability to toggle the echoes (in addition to turning the echoes down entirely), and changed it so that on the easier difficulties, the cars and enemies in Gotham start out with considerably less of an advantage (enemies get moved further into the level and should be stunned for a few seconds, and there's a cap on the number of cars).

Applying all of these, it seemed a lot easier for me to keep track of what was going on, but that's just me, who's been test playing it for a month.

And, well, these changes should improve the comprehendability of some levels, but I don't think there's much I can do to make the ones with storms of missiles more comprehendable without just reducing the number of missile-wielding enemies.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-09-14 00:04:04

So I'm still working on how exactly I'm going to upload this patch, although Dropbox did let me upload this recording, so maybe it will start cooperating again.

The recording is of me playing level 1 on normal difficulty with the changes in place. I'm not convinced there isn't something causing most of the enemies to cluster near the left edge of the level, but things sound less chaotic to me. Yes/no/Maybe?

There is one point where a civilian winds up shouting repeatedly, but there is actually a perfectly good reason for that--she's kinda trapped by a destroyed car! I did not stop to think during this about whether or not a batclaw could move said car... o.o. (I actually don't remember the size restrictions on what objects the batclaw can move...)

Does this sound any better? Does the fact that it's a recording make it hard to tell? Quite possibly worse?

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.