2006-09-12 14:14:38

What do you think is the best? Tell why.
I like Grizzly Gulch!

2006-09-13 13:00:57

I'm afraid I'd have to say chillingham, it has an actual story not merely the catch outlaw, get enough money for new item, catch another outlaw thing that Grizly has.

To be honest, without using the money cheat to get money in the bank I actually found trying to raise money in grinzly gulch a bit of a pest, sinse it iether depended upon winning lots of games in the saloon or going in to the bank many many times and foiling robberies.

the Puzles in Chillingham were also fun (I loved the Mutant Frog), and there were certainly a wider variety of environments throughout the game.

The fighting in both games was rather fun and quirky at first, but (even on the hardest difficulty), quickly became uninteresting, and sinse Fighting was the main point of Grizly,this detracted from my enjoyment of the game.

don't get me wrong, I did rather like Grizly, but I probably wouldn't have even bought the game if it didn't come at a cheaper price with Chillingham (it was chillingham I wanted).

I'd also say that sinse Grizly was Bavisoft's first game, it was largely an experiment. Chillingham built on a lot of the concepts first used in Grizly (the interface system just using cursers for example), and expanded upon them, so I don't know if it's really fair to compare one game to the other.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-09-13 18:01:15

well, i wouldn't disagree with you there, i do think chillingham was much better, and the grizzly gulch story was a little repeatative, but i still think that grizzly has more replay value.
in chillingham once you know where the secret objects are like the hammer for the bell, the leash for the man in the well and everything that's it really, you can go back but once you know where everything is it loses it's gameplay value.
i wouldn't mind making a grizzly gulch 2, but better, i had the idea of maybe instead of one town there being 2, grizzly and a new town called dodge and you could travel between them.
and there'd be more ways to get money, you could go and shoot prairie dogs and sell the skins, you could go out into the desert and catch bandits, and other things.
there'd still be a salloon and bank and general store but a little more advanced.

like a few more games in the salloon like craps maybe a roulette table too were you can bet on certain colours or numbers.
and dodge would have gun stores to buy bigger weapons, and equipment. There'd be a hospital to heal wounds and other things too.
what do you think, should i mention it to bavisoft?

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-09-14 07:25:41 (edited by arjan 2006-09-14 07:26:01)

i love those ideas archer. sure post them, they might consider going a gg2 a well (although from what i've they're still developing chillingham2).

2006-09-14 09:46:27

alright, i'll try and contact them with my ideas.
i'm unsure how long the reply will take, but hopefully as they are making a chillingham 2 maybe they'll consider a gg 2 as well.
i'll send them next chance i get.
best reg

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-09-14 14:19:48

Hmmm, that would turn GG much more into an Rpg Archer, particularly with the extra ways to get money. Imho this would be a good thing.

I Know what you mean about Chillingham's lack of replay value (I played it through on the hard difficulty the other day, and indeed it was rather easy), but this is true of any interactive fiction ----- unless it's specifically constructed with multiple plot paths or endings, there isn't loads of replay.

I'm stil very interested in Chillingham 2 though, particularly as we basically didn't find out that much of what was going on in the village in the first game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-09-14 20:56:00

Hi,
I like Chilingham the best.