2006-09-11 16:29:55

The Bartim

2006-09-11 18:36:50

hi. this program sounds cool! thanks for the information.

2006-09-11 19:08:27

Hmm, how ironic, I was having a chat with a friend of mine about creating games today (of various different sorts). this is somehting I'd love to use, providing it's stil relatively easy to actually create the games with and you don't really need any knolidge of programming to use it (though obviously, a knolidge of sound recording would help methinks).

One thing I don't really understand, is what kind of games this could create? I could see how you could create a programme to make audio interactive fiction and puzle games with your own audios for the story and sound (as was done with desent into madness), but I'm not sure how you'd go about making a program that could equally create other types of games such as racing or action games.

Well, there's no point me standing here and going on about it, I'm going to have a look.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-09-12 00:32:27

It sounds cool! But where is the actual website where i can find out more about it?

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2006-09-12 05:16:21

I recall there used to be mainstream tools to "make" games. Unfortunately they were mostly restricted to platform games I seem to remember. Not that this is the same at all.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-09-12 12:52:36

Unfortunately, the websites for the Bartimaeus foundation who seem to be involved with this project is in Dutch (understandable if it's a dutch foundation), and the forum for the Audio game maker wouldn't accept my registration (iether that or I bodged up my E-mail address in the form).

I'll try re-registering and see what I can find out.

If this will indeed allow people like myself who don't know anything about programming to create audio games, methinks it will indeed increase the amount of games available.

Well actually, I do know a bit about programming theory, ---- just like i know a bit about the theory of internal combustion, that doesn't mean I could fix a car though.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-09-12 13:20:48

Hi, if you experience problems with joining the other forum, please submit your comments here, or by email to the developers! Your opinion is valuable for them.

2006-09-13 13:13:09

dark empathy wrote:

Unfortunately, the websites for the Bartimaeus foundation who seem to be involved with this project is in Dutch (understandable if it's a dutch foundation), and the forum for the Audio game maker wouldn't accept my registration (iether that or I bodged up my E-mail address in the form).

Hi this project is conducted by the Bartimeus *Accessibility* foundation - or Accessibility in short. This is a seperate foundation than the Bartim

2006-09-13 13:57:40

This does sound cool. I am going to try to actually learn programming here at college but it's good to know there's a chance that I might be able to create games even if that doesn't pan out. It reminds me of the old RPG Maker applications you used to be able to get off the internet. The developers chose to keep them for their own country apparently and didn't release them to others, so of course somebody went and translated them illegally into other languages. Unfortunately the guy who translated it into English wasn't a native English speaker, so the translation was buggy. Then the actual developer came down on everybody and told them to take the program off their web sites. Again, I don't know if you can still find them. However I was going to make a suggestion based on those old programs. The RPG Maker program came with quite an extensive library of music and sound effects built-in, but they also allowed you to import your own music, usually Midi files, and sounds. I think it could actually handle MP3 files as well. I would suggest that, if a similar system was possible to implement in this project without too much unnecesary trouble, you might consider it. It would add even more flexibility to what already sounds like a neat project.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-09-13 23:56:39

I agree Brian, but I generally assumed that adding your own sound files would be implicit to the game, for all the instructions and menues etc, as well as the in game sound effects and music.

what intreagues me about this project is how broard it will be with respect to the types of games that may be created with it.

I can easily imagine a programme which allows the user to create a specific type of game ---- with various varietions of course.

Say an action game creator which allowed iether for space invaders, racing or fast pased puzle games, with the option to include different events requiring different keystrokes the speed of which may increase, tied to sound files (the cars in light cars, or the various hazards in Pipe2 for example).

I could also imagine a game creator which allowed the user to make interactive fiction style puzle games ala Desent into madness or Chillingham.

what I find slightly difficult to concieve of is a game maker that will allow both types of games ---- perhaps a combination of the two as in Chillingham, unless the program contained various game models each with customizable factors and the ability to add your own sound files, though again, I'm uncertain how vercetyle such a program could be.

Oooooh, dear sorry for the wrant, but I do find this project extremely exciting.

Thanks for the links.

2006-09-14 02:11:13

I'd be curious myself whether SAPI would be supported. Recorded voices are great, but you might need the ability to read text that isn't necessarily fixed. Multiplayer support would also be a bonus, but I won't get my hopes up too much on this since it would be asking rather a lot.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-09-14 02:28:03

As I've said before, I stil think Sapi is a good way of reading information which is not essential to the plot such as a players scores or statistics, and maybe Sapi could be used in menues as well.

I'm fairly certain at least early versions of the game maker will use Sapi, sinse I imagine it's much quicker than attaching loads of audio files to specific numerical values in a program such as a player's score.

I doubt we'll see multi-player support in the first version of the game maker Cx2, but if it proves successful maybe it'll be added in a future upgrade.

Btw, to Richard or Senderman, I'm afraid that I've stil not recieved a validation E-mail for the Game accessibility forum, and sinse I've already used my E-mail address to register, I can't re-regester.
Also, I don't seem to be able to E-mail or contact any of the mods or admins over there. I registered there with the username dark empathy (really creative aren't I), and any help with that forum would be appreciated.

I have however filled in the questionaire and E-mailed it to the person involved.

2006-09-14 13:42:41

Sapi? Ugh! I don't like Sapi voices. I find them far too difficult to understand. Well, I have heard neospeach is part of the Sapi system or very similar, and I do have both the Neospeach voices and the AT&T Natural Voices on my system. I could see myself using the Neospeach system for statistics and score type reading in my games, but there's no way I'll use the Microsoft Sapi voices. Oh well, guess we all have our preferences. I think what the Audio Game Maker should do is be able to automatically detect what synthesizers are installed on your system and then give you a choice of which ones you want to use or, at the very least, let you select from the various voices. I have, as I said, Neospeach and AT&T Natural Voices on my Laptop as well as the Sapi voice that came with JFW 7, and when I play one of Jim's Sapi games it lets me select from those five voices, Sam, Mike, Crystal, Paul and Kate. That would give you some flexibility if you didn't like the voice you were working with. Then you'd just have to use Text Aloud or whatever program you prefer to create the speach files you actually wanted to use in your game. I myself have Text Aloud, which I find to be quite cool.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-09-14 14:34:08

Obviously, there are better synth voices than Sapi, and if you have other synthesisors on the machine you should be able to use them. When I use Hal i use the Orphius voices that come with it (which aren't too bad),but even though I've installed the protocall that should in theory let me use the Orphius voices (Carol and allan), in sapi aplications it doesn't seem to work for some reason, so I usually get stuck with Sam or Mary.

I'm not certain how exactly games output to synthesisors, I know some like Lw use text, but what do the others such as Jim Kitchen's games do?

i'm guessing though that sinse the game's would be created in text or modified text files, it would not be difficult to output this text in a form that iether Sapi or any working installed voice would be able to read.

2006-09-15 01:23:25

BryanP:
I know for certain that the Neospeech voices I got with Kurzweil and the Realspeak voices I got with an earlier version use the SAPI interface.

SAPI is an interface system for speech synthesis, it just happens to have a couple voices included with it. There are certainly other voices which can use SAPI as an interface.

Besides, SAPI is freely available and costs nothing. Sometimes pre-recorded voices just aren't an option, especially if there is any customisation in the game. For example the Lone Wolf mission editor. In these situations a synthesiser just is the only option.

cx2
-----

2006-09-15 02:56:09

Hi
Have any of you guys heard of Model Talker? If not, do a google search and you should find it quight easily. If you don't have any good voices, you can use model talker since it's SAPI complient.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-09-17 23:24:14

I'm interested to see what games this thing can make as well. I mean, could it make games such as Rise to Honor, or even Mortal Kombat? Let's just wait on it...

Discord: clemchowder633

2006-09-17 23:50:12

assault_freak wrote:

I'm interested to see what games this thing can make as well. I mean, could it make games such as Rise to Honor, or even Mortal Kombat? Let's just wait on it...

Hi,

Since it is still very early in the project, that instead of you just waiting around, we would you all to participate and tell us what you want the Audio Game Maker to be. I can already tell that the aim of the project is to indeed make a modular program, which let's you built a game by connecting "game elements" together. More about this later.

Tell Us What YOU Want!

smile

Greets,

Richard

2006-09-18 03:57:59 (edited by dark empathy 2006-09-18 10:44:43)

Modular? assuming I'm not reading too much into that Richard, I would guess that this means there will be different parts of the program to create different elements of a game, rather than different types of games in particular?

So for example, a menue generator which could be used in interactive fiction style games like desent into madness, a module to create sterrio panning reaction effects (iether at random or in a specific way such as in Troopanum), and combining the two could lead to something like Chillingham?

then perhaps generators for different styles of maps, 2D, full 3D as in shades of doom and partial 3D with a board and limited movement as in the Vip games ---- and maybe continuous circuits or scrolling travvel routes as in a racing game? Then a score creating program and maybe something for other forms of statistics or reading text files?

I don't doubt such a system would be hard to develope, but Imho this sort of thing would give much more scope for creativity than just having a "Racing game generator" or a "3D action game generator", sinse it would let multiple game elements be put together to form different games, rather than just similar games with altered parameters and statistics (which would basically play like glorified mods).

You could for example make a battle-racing game, where you raced around on a continuous track but had different weapons on your vehicle to targit the other cars ----- which you could do with left-right troopanum style sterio targiting and panning when you got within range.

Of course, my personal preference would be to create an Rpg or exploration based game (audio Metroid anyone?), but sinse we're all different people with different interests in gaming, Imho it would serve the community very well if the software be made able to create as great a variety of games as possible. Obviously, there will have to be some limits as to the amount of options and capacities available in the program, but I hope these can be pushed as wide as possible to allow those using the program the greatest chance to develope their tallents, even if this means complicating the program to a degree (there can always be tutorials and basic modes and such to help people just starting out with it).

Ooopse! sorry again about the wrant, I just wished to make my opinions clear.

2006-09-18 07:36:27

No offence, but Shades of Doom is still 2d... just flipped 90 degrees compared to the side scrollers wink

The nearest we have to full 3d is Lone Wolf and Audio Quake.

Battle racing game? Audio version of the old Hi Octane anyone? Nice.
Just for those who don't know this was a racing game made by Bullfrog using the engine from Magic Carpet, and involved various hover vehicles... the 3d models of which were taken straight out of their Syndicate games... and carried machine guns and missiles. Each vehicle had it's own ratings for top speed, acceleration, shields, missile ammo and so on.

cx2
-----

2006-09-18 07:36:44

dark empathy wrote:

Modular? assuming I'm not reading too much into that Richard, I would guess that this means there will be different parts of the program to create different elements of a game, rather than different types of games in particular? So for example, a menue generator which could be used in interactive fiction style games like desent into madness, a module to create sterrio panning reaction effects (iether at random or in a specific way such as in Troopanum), and combining the two could lead to something like Chillingham?

You could for example make a battle-racing game, where you raced around on a continuous track but had different weapons on your vehicle to targit the other cars ----- which you could do with left-right troopanum style sterio targiting and panning when you got within range.

This is how where are thinking right now. A "game making tool" is often somewhere between "a level editor" (basically a fixed game where you can only change some fixed parameters) and "game programming tool" (often just a bunch of difficult code with which you can built almost anything, but at a prize).

We would like to be somewhere in between, although a bit more to the game programming tool, but with the easiness of a level editor smile
We're currently investigating the possibilities. If things get to difficult (given the short period in which to develop this tool - just a couple of months) then it is likely that the design will be more towards a level editor (with maybe some modules - which is always an option?).

So you want RPG's? Anyone else have a personal favourite?

Greets,

Richard

2006-09-18 17:26:34

will this audio game maker be free?

2006-09-19 01:20:18

I'd go for rpg. But, yes, I have a personal favorite. I won't say much. Suffice it to say, one on one fighting, brawlers, or three D beat em ups?

Discord: clemchowder633

2006-09-23 11:18:31

Hi,

A quick question concerning menu and key-configuration preferences. Audio Game Maker is likely to feature several menu's and we would like to know what key-configuration you prefer most. The menus will consist of a list of parameters. The goal is that you browse to a parameter and then change that paramater. A parameter could be a certain sound from a list of sounds, or a number from a range of numbers. So changing the parameter will maybe be like browsing through a list as well.

Here are some possible options for key-configurations and we are wondering what your preferred configuration would be:

Option 1:
1. browse parameter: cursor key up and down
2. change parameter (with the focus on a parameter): cursor key left and right
3. back/menu up: escape

Option 2:
1. browse parameter: cursor key up and down
2. select parameter: enter
3. change parameter: cursor key left and right
4. confirm parameter/back: enter
5. back/menu up: escape

Option 3:
1. browse parameter: cursor key left and right
2. select parameter: space
3. change parameter: cursor key left and right
4. confirm parameter/back: space
5. back/menu up: enter

These are just a couple of suggestions. What keys do you usually use for navigating menus and what key configuration would you prefer. And yes, we know that the best configuration would probably be the one where players would configure the keys themselves (which is an option we are considering). But for now: what is your preferred configuration?

Please post your reply at the Audio Game Maker forum:

http://www.game-accessibility.com/forum … php?id=142

Greets,

Richard

http://www.audiogames.net
http://www.game-accessibility.com

2006-09-23 15:42:41

Hi,
How does this program actually work?