2012-07-25 17:02:07

Hello,

I was thinking hard about any ways of letting interested people to learn bgt.
I thought about an online course, and a program.
A program seemed to be better.
Why the program?
* because you will your screen reader or Sapi5 voice speaking a lessons, in your preferable accent, and preferable language
* there will be translations made as well
* because you could run a program in a midnight, in a midday, when it's a night or when it's a day, wherever, and whenever
* because you can set your own speed how fast should you go from the lesson to the lesson, rather than being confused of a speed which i would set in an online course
* because the program will request from you to write your self a code and then you'll be able to test and run your code (because BGT will be shipped with a program)
* at the end of a program you will have a basic skills which are enough to create a simple thing. Once you know simple things, you can easyly expand your knowledge, since everything is easier than a start.
Features of the program:
* you'll have everything explained and code written in an audio form text feald so you shouldn't be confused by some synths those doesn't read some characters (you'll be able to read that word by word or line by line or character by character...
* program will request from you to type a code, and then the program will try to run a code you've written (bgt demo will be bundled with a program)
* why interactive? because you'll be able to write and test your script in the only one place.
This program will be shareware.
Let's talk about the demo:
it will have slightly reduced features and it will work 10 minutes and then exit, and you can do that (no computer restart is needed after program exits, just launch again.
There are 2 kind of pricing:
1. preorders
preorders are used to help a program's development. That means that you buy a program while it's not fully finished and that money sent for preorders can be invested in developing a program.
Once the final release is out you get your key without additional cost.
preorders duration: starting from the date of enabling preorders, until the final release (I'll anounse once the preordering is enabled)
price: 10 USD

2. regular
(starts when the final release is out)
price: 20 USD

Very important:
* you pay just once for one key
* keys are user-friendly, meaning you can use them on how many computers you want
* before the preorders are enabled, I'll release a demo version, so you can see if the final version is worth buying or not
Maby there will be a discount once the final version is out, but if that's going to happen; it will be anounsed at the rite time, on the rite place.

Stay tooned!

Kind regards,
Nikola Stojsic (NS studios)

2012-07-25 17:51:04

WTF... I'm sure I checked the no thing... Lol!
Hmm... You already made two other topics about this, as far as I remember... Why didn't you just keep those?

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2012-07-25 19:57:34

Hi,
I'm not sure why this is in the new releases topic when clearly there is no released program to see. You might want to move it to the general discussion section.
I would seriously think about the 20 usd price, even $10 when the program is a text box which gives you instructions, and a built in function that executes code the user enters. My question is still this: What can you provide other than what the manual explains?
Because even if the user enters BGT code, if something goes wrong your program needs to see exactly what went wrong. An error message would not be enough, not if your program is an interactive teaching utility.
This is especially hard because there are thousands of programming styles, ways to program just one task, and this increases as your program or game becomes more and more complex. As you know users are quite demanding, if something does not work as expected you will most likely be the one to blame.
I am not sure you have completely thought this through, and the more and more topics you post, despite that 99% of the users vote 'no' starts to convince me that it is quite possible that you are desperately in need of money. I really do not want to sound or act negative, but this is becoming more and more ridiculous every day. I sincerely hope that if this will be ready, those who are willing to pay for it will be satisfied. At this stage I do not think it is fair, especially not for those who really want to learn BGT.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2012-07-25 20:04:50

What I keep seeing from you, in your topics as well as on the programmers list, is:
'send me money and if I get enough the product will be released'.
Look, no matter how you package it, that is a very no-no way to go about it. Your switching between a course and a program shows you have no plan of action at all, you are very conflicted on how you want your content to be presented and you provide no guarantee anything will even be released. No refunding policy if you for whatever reason will not release the program. No specifics on how you want to implement whatever it is in your head. You have some fine ideas, but give the people something to work with before asking for money? I wouldn't pay for this if they'd pay me at this stage.

2012-07-25 20:52:05

Hi all,
I already said in one of the two other topics made on this that I would never Pre-order, not just this, but any program.
This hole thing makes me wonder how people would react if Brendan and i were to demand payment for our game walk throughs? How would that impact on the other forum members?
This actually gives me an idea; we should maybe considder doing a long term series of walk throughs on BGT and how to learn it. This would start when both Brendan and I are comfortable with BGT and helping others learn it. Of course, we would give room for different ways of doing things for as Rob pointed out, different people like to do things in different ways.
This is just an idea I'm having; it would be interesting if you could let me know what you think of it?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2012-07-25 21:01:30

Hi,

Remember my post in your now deleted topic.
You didn't pay to learn this, why should others?
That was basically my bottom line. I had more things to say, but I forgot.

Also, To Robs post, +1

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2012-07-25 21:02:16

Hi.
I have to agree with what many people say: what does this have to offer that the manual can't offer? I'm learning BGT and personally the manual is good enough for me.
I'd rather spend 20 dollars on a new game or buying something I know I'm going to need.
If what rob's saying is true and you are indeed in need of money, why not develop a sharewhere game of good quality instead?
I agree with Lauren, for me this is on the same prinsipal as we suddenly deciding to charge for our audio walk throughs of games.
To be honest, I can't see anyone paying us, and I can't blame them.
As for a long-term project of BGT walk throughs, I'm definitely interested in embarking on such a project, however, this won't happen very soon though since I'm busy with other things at the moment.
Should we ever do this, it'll naturally be 100 percent free, and I won't except donations! smile

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2012-07-25 21:03:41 (edited by brad 2012-07-25 21:06:21)

Hi.
go for it! smile, the reason i donated was because i felt that this would be a nice program and might make my dream of making a marble game where you slide down a shoot colllecting things and bouncing off walls and things a realaty.
i don't no why i like that idea of a game but i always have like the idea of a leggo game, where you run on this track jumping over things and all that so i thought why not a marble wich could role, collect more mettal wich would go around it to strenthan it so that other walls and drops wouldn't affect it.
sorry if this post isn't makeing sence. its really hot in the u.k and well... me and heat don't really get on to well smile.
/edit/
well a reason we might not have herd from the guy is because well think about it, if he is making this program then he would have to rite up the tutorials rite the program they come in and all that.
it won't just come over night, infact i think that we should at least give the guy a month.
hmm but lol i can't wait so i keap checking this fred every halfhour. ahhahah.
/end edit/

I'm gone for real :)

2012-07-25 21:22:21

Hmm, Now that I see the way things are going, I disagree too.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2012-07-25 21:24:58

Hi.

Yes i agree that i explained a pricing wrongly, and i've corrected my self.
Well, again just to notify.
Your money will either give you a key or the money will be returned to you.
That means that once i've released a demo and once i've enabled preorders i have a serious insurance that program will be released, or again, if something goes wrong all money will be returned to you back.
Why i don't want to release a game?
Because i thought a program for learning bgt might be useful for those who wants to learn bgt.
I've been asked by many people can I teach them a bgt, and they paid,  because they can't understand a help file.

Kind regards,

2012-07-25 21:36:41

Hi,
@Brad, we are not rushing him at all. But if you want to make a program of yours popular, especially if you want to sell it, this is really, really not how you are supposed to do it. We are not asking for content, we are asking for something that would worth that 20 dollars. Ever since he started, he keeps contradicting himself.
First off, the course. It will be free, but he needs 50 to 100 dollars to start it.
Then when I asked about the content he posted something that looked good for a couple of lessons, but then turned into ridiculously long lessons with almost no content.
Next, we ask for something that would give us more insight into this project, he decides to do a trailer.
Next day, the topic is gone, new topic with a vote about a program that teaches you BGT, but based on what he wrote is no more than a user interface with a tutorial plus a separate program that runs your own code, which I suspect BGT itself bundled. The price is 10-20 euros, dollars, euros, dollars, after a couple of topics he setles on euros.
He gets 90% NO votes, with only one yes.
Then the topic is gone, next topic with some more details, meanwhile the way to donate changes, the number of votes is almost the same.
I do not know what else to say, I think this is the stage where adding more would hurt rather than help. Thus, I wish you good luck and please, please think this through before posting anything.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2012-07-25 22:29:44

@ns-studios:
While I've taken the liberty of moving this topic to general game discussion where it belongs as it concerns game development, I would encourage you to post properly in future.  AS robjoy previously stated, you have no new release of any kind yet to show off, thus the topic not belonging there.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2012-07-25 23:08:18

just to add some  more things, and contrary to what people might think, i'm not sticking the knife in.
But, I'm not paying anything to someone who is not  fluent in english. Sure, you have a good understanding of english, but it is clear to me that you are not a english speaker.
2. there were the most basic of bugs in your  playmania game of sound not centering, if you can't even do that, what makes you think you can teach it to others and expect them to pay.
I stress, i'm really not trying to stick the knife in.

2012-07-25 23:17:18

Hi Rob,

The sound does center, it's the problem of the sound being stereo and panned to one side in the actual file. He is able to do panning at least, as you can see in his aliens attack game ... if you played it.

But I totally +1 Robjoy's post.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2012-07-26 00:09:19 (edited by brad 2012-07-26 00:12:16)

Hi.
/edit/
NS studios, i just looked at the voating poll, and to me it doesn't  make sence.
as far as i know it says. like an idea yes then no.
what am i serpost to be liking?
/end of edit/
robla, man i totaly forgot about ns studeios play mainia (spelt wrong i no sorry) and your correct (as far as i know the glass game had the glasses slitely to the left of the player wich wasn't good.)
but, i don't remember weather alians atack came out before the play mania game. if it came out before then hmm that would be kind of sillly but if it came out afterwood then that would mean that he had lerned about panning and stuff.
because in the game if an alian was on your left you were able to walk to it and shoot it and it wouldn't miss and same about being on your rite.
but the reason i fumbed up your post is because it does bring up a good point about panning.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-07-26 00:26:38

That is a fair point robla, despite its harshness.

This is a touchy subject that I myself have never gotten into, particularly since we do have plenty of people here from different places with different backgrounds and the like, but I do believe that someone who is going to conduct a professional business should definitely brush up on any and every language they plan to teach in.  The model that has been molded here speaks of professional aspect, particularly since money is being requested, and while I don't generally mind piecing together words that are misplaced through dialogue for the sake of comprehension on a forum, others might not quite find that as convenient in a learning setting.

I remember dealing with that during a college math course; our professor was from India, and trying to understand him while notetaking was rather offputting and a matter of deep frustration on my end.  There's no sense in taxing the brain further than necessary, and I do believe this kind of course could create such a senario.

Nevertheless, this is not discouragement on my part, and I have not added my vote, as I like to remain as neutral and unbiased as possible under any and every circumstance.  I sincerely hope that if this program's aims are honest and true that it will succeed in the end.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2012-07-26 00:28:14

Well, i'll not anounse anything anymore, until the time comes. Goodbye everyone

Kind regards,

2012-07-26 00:30:20

Like i said in one of the other topics. I'm not paying if he doesn't release thats final. I wouldn't even pay for a preorder, putting my paypal money to an alteraion weightless instead lol.

2012-07-26 08:42:17

Hi.
NS-studios:
I am one of those who am close to understand the basics in programming, but for some reason, I still don't understand it good enough to make anything which works in BGT. I understand the basics, but I'm unable to throw my ideas into code.
If you think you have any ideas on how to improve the manual, make things which would help people to understand BGT better etc, why not contact Philip and suggest that to him?
I mean, this is Philips project, Philip has wrote that awesome manual and Philip should really get lots of cretit when new people learn the programming language. I don't mean to afent you hear, but why take credit to teach people BGT when you're not the one who have made it? Why not suggest improvements to the manual? In this way, the credit goes to the right person. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-09-15 15:53:21

HI I said yes on this since that would be very good for people that don't have learning a programming language via a manual as a strong point. I mean I'm good at getting used to games via the manual but even the savage gamut's keystrokes were overwhelming at first and the bgt manual is also a bit hard to learn. Let's take typing for instance. I haven't heard of anyone successfully teaching someone to type just by sitting down and telling them how to, or writing up a manual on how to, it takes a slow, friendly and interactive program to do that. Same thing for bgt, and the reason I said yes for the bgt course in aliens attack, I would download it if the program is never released. I personally disaggree with what you're saying. Learning how to type isn't free, so why is paying for a bgt interactive program that bad? It isn't, it just isn't! Purchasing a program for learning bgt is like buying talking typer or talking typing teacher to learn typing, at least to me. I felt it was worth the money I paid for talking typer, so am going to buy this excellent program. So keep it up Nickola!
best regards,
Jack

2012-09-15 18:53:37 (edited by paddy 2012-09-15 18:55:52)

About that talking typing teacher:
I think it is stupid to request so much money for a typing tutorial.
But I don't know, 20 Dollars, isn't that a little too much for just a course for BGT? I thought it over and I would request at least $10 for it.
Your idea sounds good to me, because I read the manual of BGT but never managed it to create a good game, only "hello-world-scripts", but you should think the price over.
I don't know if you planned anything with Philip?
Maybe he can ship the course along with BGT and you have the ability to pay a certain amount of money, but not $20 or €20. 20 Euros will be too much, 20 Euros are over 25 Dollars or so.

Please think it over. I'm not sure how many people would buy it, after reading all those negative posts about it, especially about the pricing.

Remember Shades of doom, where you can get yourself some cheats for $5.00. It's a bad example, but what I wanted to say is that "Extensions" shouldn't be priced higher than $5-$10.

That is not a negative post about your idea.

Feel free to check my blog at
http://www.patrickdembinski.org
Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2012-09-15 23:50:11

Hi,
No. Talking typer was worth 120 dollars since it is interactive and isn't as boring as let's say a book on how to type. If it were just that it'd be too much, but for a program it isn't. So that goes for light the bgt fire. Twenty dollars is actually not bad at all. And he's going to release a concept demo before he launches preorders so that you can check it out before orders are launched. You don't know what it's going to be like until you try it. It'd actually be cool if Snoopi, who did some cds with how to get dectalk to sing, made it an interactive program with the speak program bundled with it, and you could type something, then press enter to launch it. It'd be the tracks he created turned into a program, with is interactive.
Okay I know this is nothing to do with bgt, just an example of what the money is worth. I'll be buying this thing, and will not succumb to pure pressure how ever good or bad the feedback is.
best regards,
Jack

2012-09-16 04:31:36

Hi all,

First, I'm not here to pick fights, weigh in on one side or the other, but there is something I feel needs said. I know a lot of people say that they are having difficulty learning the BGT manual. That's fair enough. However, I think this comes down to a lack of experience. An interactive tutorial may or may not give you that experience, but Roam wasn't built in a day either.

When I learned to program we actually started with pseudo code, and studied the logic behind programming before we took up a programming language. Next, we learned Visual Basic 5, which was new at the time,  and got use to programming in that language. Then, we took on more complex languages such as C++ and Java. In short, there was a natural and logical progression in learning, and when I finished my college courses I still didn't have a clue how to create a first person shooter, a side-scroller, or anything else remotely complex.  I actually knew how to program, at least the basics, but I lacked any kind of practical experience on pulling together all the components necessary to write a game.

My point being is if you walk into this tutorial expecting to learn the language and then write Shades of Doom the next day you are fooling yourself. It just doesn't work that way. Even with a language like BGT you will have to start out simple with games like Guess the Number, Paper Scissors Rock, or Blackjack to get comfortable programming in BGT. As you write games you will get better at it, more comfortable, and can slowly add to your skills by developing a more complex game. Eventually after perhaps a year or so you'll be ready to try something like a first person shooter or side-scroller. Just don't expect to be able to do something spectacular all at once.

Second, if you are having problems with BGT download the sample code, modify it, and see what you can do. Experiment with it. Understand how it works and you'll learn more from Philip's Guess the Number game and the Windows Attack game than you will from just reading the manual.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-09-17 09:38:21

I listened to Kelly'S review about "Talking typing teacher". After listining to that, I must say, interactive tutorials are worth to be priced that high.
Anyway, ttt isn't actually my thing and Light the bgt fire is something different, but I really would love to have interactive tutorials to practise.

Feel free to check my blog at
http://www.patrickdembinski.org
Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2012-09-17 13:49:59

Hi,
Interactive tutorials would only have a set amount of things to do. So I would think practicing woudl better be done by you simply...practicing.

Best Regards,
Hayden