2012-07-05 03:31:23

I actually did use the correct quotes for the script. I was using the wrong keyboard layout by accident when posting the example code. It's on the tts.init() function that the error occurs.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2012-07-05 04:55:47

Hi.
you nead to download the latest dfe download.
then it will work fine.
brad.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-07-05 05:43:25

Before diving into another engine, could you give me some idea what the differences (other than cost) you expect to create between DF and BGT?  I'm pretty comfy in BGT, but if there's a compelling reason either already in the engine or to be added in future, I'm very willing to spend time learning.

2012-07-05 06:33:23

Hi.
i've not done much in bgt or df. but it seems alot easyer than bgt. but that could just be me.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-07-05 09:11:23

At the moment i wouldn't recommend someone who has never seen a programming/scripting language to try this, DFE's manual doesn't explain all the basics step by step like bgt's manual does, so someone who is completely new might want to stick to bgt for now.  It does look simpler in some ways, no braces, semicolons etc, but it is also more complex in other ways, for example, in bgt you can just call the exit function and everything will be cleared, but according to the manual in DFE you have to unload things like sounds and the tts with their free functions.  Also, where bgt has included classes to make things like menus easy, dfe doesn't have this, not yet anyway.  It is of course possible to create a menu, it's just more complex than in bgt.  But if you can handle it, then it's definitely worth looking at, you might prefer the simpler syntax.  Plus, it's only the first alpha!  It will improve, a lot.  The first bgt releases didn't have all the features bgt has today.  I think this engine has much potential.

2012-07-05 10:10:51

Contrary to what other people say I actually like the braces and semicolons in bgt. They provide structure which I just don't get in lua. All those end statements just don't compare to braces for me. Also I think I will wait on developing anything in DF until I get some good classes like the ones in bgt, but I do have high hopes for this because it looks cool. I think I'llstill stick to bgt. It can sometimes be tough switching programming languages especially if you are doing similar things in each one. I had the same problem when i switched from autoIt to BGT.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2012-07-05 11:24:23

Well, with some background with BGT myself, all be it not much, i know enough to probably comfortably switch languages. I think the DFE manual could be expanded a bit to include using classes and such, and i'm sure that will happen in the near future.

2012-07-05 17:24:00

Hi,

For those who are concerned why we are unable to guarantee freeing memory when DFE exits in every case, as can be seen in the manual for dfe.exit, in alpha 2 and up this will happen automatically, so any allocated memory will be freed when calling this function. This includes tts, key, etc.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2012-07-05 17:40:36

Stewie,
Could you list what voices you have on your system please? If you do not wish to do so in public, you can send me a PM, that's fine as well.

Thanks,
Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-07-05 17:42:48

Hi everyone,

We really only started work on this 3 months or so ago, therefore go easy on us for now. big_smile We're still working on it.
What I think we should do first is get every module implemented that we'd like, this includes Network, etc etc. After this, we can start working on custom functions, like menues, etc etc.

Erion wrote this manual in record time, and we didn't have the time or patience to add every single detail yet. We want to get the engine done, first I suppose. big_smile

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2012-07-05 18:06:50

hi,
i have a question.
So i tryed to open a window to play audio like this.
ui.showwindow("audio testing")
audio.load("music.ogg")
dfe.sleep(50)
audio.play(1)
key.init()
key.pushed("enter")
ui.closewindow()

It didn't play the audio and closed the window straight after it opened. Can you tell me why?
thanks,
kyle, kc-ds-g
check me on skype! kkylec13k or twitter @kylecunningham5

Underworld Tech.
Accessibility from us, to you.
Visit us

2012-07-05 18:52:49

Hi,
You did not initialize audio. Use audio.init to do this, before using any other audio function.
Key.pushed returns a value, you do not handle this.
Modify it using an if statement:

If key.pushed(key.enter) then
--code goes here
end

Put this and the sleep function into a loop, so DFE will wait until you push the enter key.

Hth,
Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-07-05 18:57:43

Hi,

You forgot to initialize the audio library with
audio.init()

Also, you might want to initialize the keyboard at the beginning of the script. It's best to initialize everything at the start of the script in any case.

So, your script should look like this:
Note that I had to modify it heavily to make sense, let me explain why.

audio.init()
key.init()
--Those 2 lines initialize the keyboard and audio.
ui.showwindow("audio testing")
--This opens the window.
sound = audio.load("music.ogg")
--Here, you forgot to give a variable that stores the sound handle. I set it to sound. If you don't give a handle, the sound will be loaded but you can't do anything with it. Basically like creating a door, but no door handle. You can't open it normally then, right? Maybe not the best comparement but hey.
dfe.sleep(50)
--A sleep that sleeps 50 ms ... For whatever reason. big_smile
audio.play(sound,1)
--Here, you also forgot to pass the handle. In this case, sound, because that's what I set it to.
while 1 do
--Before, you didn't have a loop. If you don't have a loop, the script will run through only once, and then exit. This means that it will only once check for your key, and not wait for anything before it reaches the end and quits. -- The loop will tell it to keep checking, until you've pressed the enter key and it quits.
if (key.pushed(key.enter)) then
ui.closewindow()
dfe.exit()
end
--To check if a key is pressed, you need an if-statement. Otherwise, the script will call the function, but not do anything with it.
dfe.sleep(5)
--This is just to give some processing time to other processes.
end
--The end of the loop

I hope this made sense. if not, please let me know and I'll try to write it a bit more descriptive.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2012-07-05 19:10:42 (edited by hadi.gsf 2012-07-05 19:28:38)

you guys seriously rock

this also includes the fact that this engine is free.

i think that also the code should be easy enough to understand... but i'm always consider myself dumb... and i can't understand lol.

even python which ment to be the easiest one.

keep rollin anyway!
this means we will have more games!

also, please put your special audio mark, which represents the dragonflame team, for those who are generous enough to input that for the beginning of the game alongside of theirs.

edit: zack93, please check your private messages. i'm uploading it.. it should be up for about next 2/3 hours or so

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2012-07-05 20:11:55

Hey gorth/erion, is DFE going to support object oriented programming? That's 1 thing I have really come to love with bgt. If so, what about inheritance? I know that lua already supports metatables/operator overloading too.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2012-07-05 20:32:14

hi,
i have another question.
i am trying to create a ship sim, shush shush shush, with sounds only and i get this error.
no loop to break near '='
how can i fix it?
thanks,
kyle, kc-ds-g

Underworld Tech.
Visit us

2012-07-05 20:55:28

Hi,
Lua supports classes already, via tables as you said. There is a chapter in the Lua book we recommend, which speaks about inheritance, too.
I think I can say that we are not really planning to expand Lua further in this direction.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-07-05 20:57:49

Hello,

I think you used only one equals sign at the beginning or at the end of the loop. If you are checking for equality, Lua needs two equals signs.

If this is not the case, please post your code and I'll see what I can do.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-07-05 21:10:13

Awesome! I've been waiting for this thing to come out. Now I just can't wait for the beta phase! Gonna try it!

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-07-05 21:54:18

hi,
i realised what was wrong i put break instead of brake. Dunce moment big_smile
thanks,
kyle, kc-ds-g

Underworld Tech.
Visit us

2012-07-05 23:00:23

Folks,
This is a wonderful moment, which is worth celebrating. Even though Alpha, Kyle made the very first public steps with DFE! Go check his ship sim, it's fun!
As a reward: Kyle, tell us what feature you'd like to see in alpha 2. Clipboard handling is already coming, but whatever feature you feel you could use, I will personally see to it that it will be in A2.
Btw Alpha 2, it's coming out on next week, friday.

Cheers,
Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2012-07-05 23:20:19

my paws are ready! *Shows them, claws positioned on keys, ready to type* big_smile

Happy to see the very first "game" made in DFE! Keep it up!

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2012-07-05 23:51:56

Gonna start work on a mortal kombat based side scroller i have been kicking around for a couple of years now. Hopefuly i will get more done with DFE.

2012-07-06 17:26:32

hi,
it would be nice to have a z based level of movement like up down if that isn't already coming or already implemented.
Thanks,
kyle- kc-ds-g
ps!
next beta of ship sim will include more sounds, hopefully different modes and something i need to ask about! Is there a way to do several keys in one function? say, i wanted to play sounds when a to z was pressed so hypotheticaly i would write the line like this
if (key.pushed(key.a>z)) then
thanks.

Underworld Tech.
Visit us

2012-07-06 18:09:45

Hi,
If you mean up down movement via audio, unfortunately 3d audio is a bit daunting to implement, especially now that Microsoft had removed hardware acceleration support. XAudio is one way to do it, but I feel Microsoft restricted, rather than widening its usability as they had intended by using it on the XBox as well.
OpenAL has some very nice emulation, but unless your soundcard supports it, you're out of luck.
Most of the low cost audio libraries, such as FMod and Bass are using DirectX behind the scenes, which makes them completely unusable when it comes to 3d audio.
The only solution that would work, if someone'd buy us the Miles sound system for about 12000 dollars, which will not really happen, or if we could figure out a way to use real-time HRTF to manipulate sound.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion