2012-06-20 21:19:16

Hi,
So folks, sites like youtube-mp3.org have basically been threatened by google, who own youtube.
The sites have been given seven days to stop their service or legal action is threatened.
Why is this bad?
Because youtube does not just host music. It hosts game walkthroughs, some of which I download for listening to at a later date, as well as other sorts of vids that people can get, instrument tutorials, in-depth documentories, etc.
Why is it good?
It will allow copyright holders to receive revenue from their videos, and downloading these doesn't give them any, as people can then just listen to te audio as much as they want.
So guys, watch out, as getting mp3 vids is going to be hard to do. At the moment youtube-mp3.org is not allowing any conversions, claiming that they're in read-only mode.
Apparently their server has been blocked by youtube.

2012-06-20 21:52:20

Wow, this is not good at all.
Of course there is still the free youtube to mp3 converter, but seeing the way things are going, i'm not sure how much longer that will last.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2012-06-20 22:07:20

Well, they can't block the progrram I use, as it records directly from your soundcard. But, you have to play the whole thing to record it. Does anyone know where I can get that youtube converter while it's still up? I realize this will probably be blocked as well, but I want to try it.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2012-06-20 22:10:58 (edited by gamedude 2012-06-20 22:36:20)

Oh my god! This isn't good. Youtube-mp3.org is doomed!
Or is it? Everyone please visit:
http://www.youtube-mp3.org/help-us

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2012-06-20 22:20:12

Hi.
I didn't know you had to record with free youtube to mp3 converter. I thought it would just convert the videos, and save them to your harddrive as an mp3 file?

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2012-06-20 23:52:17

Hi.
it does.
i mean you just add the youtube u r l to the program and it downloads it.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-06-21 00:11:11

Yes, the program I was talking about was Total Recorder. This program allows you to record any audio that your computer outputs, sorry if I wasn't clear about that. So, using Total Recorder, you just press record, and play the audio. It can even record audio from games such as Swamp. Like I said, the only downside to this method though, is that the audio has to play for TR to record it. Google can't block this, because you are watching youtube as normal, and just having a program capture the audio.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2012-06-21 00:13:27

Hi,

I'll definitely think about writing to them.

The absolutely rediculous thing is using something like a YouTube converter is just like using a TV recorder. And, who would have thought, google makes those themselves! They make software to record TV shows! So what, the heck?

*Sigh* Google ... Where the hell are you going?

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2012-06-21 00:42:02 (edited by musicalman 2012-06-21 00:43:32)

Another way around it is to use an old Free Youtube Download, or maybe Free Youtube to MP3 converter, because the newer versions basically throw accessibility out the window, although the mp3 converter sometimes has issues downloading videos. The Youtube Download saves the video directly from Youtube as an mp4 file, which you can later convert to mp3 with other software and I have had hardly any problems with it. That is what I've been using until they decide to prohibit that too. Honestly I think all that Google wants is attention and maybe control. Let's face it, if it really comes down to the wire, people will just record the audio from their sound card, and get it done anyway, and I doubt anyone is going to disable that option in the sound card or recording program just to keep copyright infringement at bay. And even if they did go that far, there are still other ways. Besides, what does Google have to worry about if someone converts a YouTube video to mp3? If the conversion is illegal, what about the video in the first place? Isn't that just as illegal as well? Sheesh...

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2012-06-21 01:10:17

Youtube's ads and such are there so that the copyright holders can earn revenue from copywritten matterial.
I know youtubeToMp3 is horrible with its ads. Some of these converters could add ads for the express purpose of keeping revenue flowing to copyright holders, but if the converters that already use ads aren't doing that already, I don't want to see what adding that feature would do to my CPU.

Google may be in it for power / control / etc, but let's recall that Google was a major opponent of sopa. This could be part of how they are assuring the companies that they work with that they aren't going to be a leech on their investments.
Youtube revenue is pretty flimsy as it is, so anything that tries to bypass that is probably doing next to zero damage. Still, the MPAA and RIAA will keep whining about it just like everyone else whines about the free stuff they want. tongue

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-06-21 01:20:20

I already sent a very pissed e-mail to the youtube lawyer that was mentioned in the article I posted. So, I did my part.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2012-06-21 02:10:30

Does anyone have a link to the accessible youtube converter? I searched and found 2 of them, but both were inaccessible. Even though I love Total Recorder and probably won't switch from it, even more so now, I still want to try the converter you all are talking about.

2012-06-21 02:34:11

and if I want people to be able to download my music as an MP3 google? hmmmmmmmmmm? what then? Give a month or two and then We will see. This just in! Google claims $32000.333224772238457363 of damages per youtube mp3 download!

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2012-06-21 08:55:21

there will be always a way around. read it too.
listentoyoutube.com
for now. then the free youtube to mp3. @livro: there isnt the risk, that you push record button at the software too late, when the video is starting?

f.a.t.h.e.r

2012-06-21 09:03:09

Hi.
Wow, I've never heard about this youtube to mp3 site before. smile
whatever Google and Youtube does, they can never stop people converting videos, records sounds and all that stuff. If they're going to doom developers who makes Youtube converters, wel, other developers are just making other alternatives. So I don't understand the need for waisting their time on doing this. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-06-21 11:25:52

Can't remember where i originally downloaded them from, but i put the downloader and converter that i use on my dropbox.  Here are the links:

FreeYoutubeDownload: paste a youtube address in and it downloads the videos to your computer.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51939666/FreeY … wnload.exe

FreeVideoToMP3Converter: select a video on your hard drive and it will convert it to an mp3.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51939666/FreeV … verter.exe

I also have a free audio converter from them that converts audio files between different formats, if anyone is interested:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51939666/FreeA … verter.exe

2012-06-21 13:05:01

What I usually do is to use a firefox pluggin called "flashgot" to get my videos in .flv format. Then I convert them to mp3 format using previously mentioned "free video to mp3 converter".
I also use the youtube to mp3 converter, but I found it can't convert long videos.
I agree with SLJ, I think there will always be some kind of alternative, no matter what google or youtube does.

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
@bcs993 on twitter, feel free to follow!

2012-06-21 16:33:36

@bucklee12: I start the recording before I play the file, then I use editing software to cut out the silence.
@zakc93: thanks for the links.

2012-06-21 17:00:28 (edited by AlexN94 2012-06-21 17:01:49)

BCS: Well, some years ago I downloaded a video with a duration of one and a half hour or so from youtube with that program, so at least it could do that earlier... Can't see why it shouldn't be able to do the same today... smile

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2012-06-21 17:36:44

I tried it on their website, and they said that they couldn't convert a video longer than 20 minutes.
That's, the free youtube to mp3 converter website.

Brendan
-----
There is one rule above all others for being a man.  Whatever comes, face it on your feet.

2012-06-21 17:50:18

Oh... Well, thought you meant the program... Sorry. smile

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2012-06-21 20:37:49

Hi,

Well, a flash grabber will work, but beware they're switching to HTML5 slowly. Not sure if they'll keep Flash around for too long. but then again, who knows?

Youtube-mp3.org can't download anything longer than 20 minutes, that's right. The program can though, since what I think it does is it just grabs the flash video file, then converts it.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2012-06-22 03:29:13

RIAA has gone crazy and told CNET that it wants all youtube to mp3 conversion software scrapped from the site.  While I'm in agreement with those who say that there will always be a way around everything and a circumvention for just about any system that gets thwarted, I often wonder where one must draw the line.  Are we in error for wanting more?  Are they in error for taking away?  Who really loses in all of this and when?

Closely related, megaupload founder Kim Dotcom has stated that the plans he had before the site and its sister sites were shut down some months ago shall continue, that being the megabox service made for musicians who feel that the record labels and recording industry have been taking away too much of the earnings and not giving enough to those who really deserve it.  Things are getting rather nasty on the net right now, and as I've previously stated, whoever loses is gonna lose big.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2012-06-22 03:39:22

I'll have to try that flashgot plug-in. Any usage instructions? Because i don't know much about flash, I click the play button if I have to and just listen, and record with stereo mix if I want.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2012-06-22 11:47:55

Hi.
What I do, after installing the pluggin, is to enter onto a youtube video, press the applications key (right-click) until I hear "flashgot media". If I enter on that, I just have to brows for the folder, then it'll download the flv file.
Sometimes, I get some type of windows media streams stuff along with it, but I just delete those.
HTH.
Note though: I don't know if IE or any other web browser has an equivalent of this; all I know is that it works in firefox.

Brendan
-----