2006-08-21 03:29:38 (edited by timberwolf1991 2006-08-21 03:49:34)

Hi,

I was just playing need for speed: underground for play station 2 (or, rather, listening to a sited friend do it). I was just wondering, would it be at all possible for a blind programmer (this game, need for speed: underground or NFSU for short, is on the pc). Would it be possible for  a blind programmer to make cars sound that realistic? I mean, most of the time its just a loop sound- but in nfsu it doesn't sound like a loop sound, it sounds like a normal ca--like one you'd hear on thestreet.. This would be awesome if someone could do that, making games feel fourth or fifth generation ps2-ps3-ish games  Its really too bad we couldn't take an emulator, such as the nintendo 64, and create extra sounds(such as a person speaking left and right, being able to hear your speed, etc etc) for say sanfransisco rush. In that game, there are tonnes of shortcutts, secrets, and the replay value would b awesomely high  since there are tonnes of cars to unlock, keys to find, extra tracks to unlock and three dificulty levels -- easy, meedium and hard-- btyo have to play all, ecause each levl has a few extra cars for you. Its sad, really- there aren't many racing games out there for the visually impared.

If I was a devellopper, and I couldremodel some games with extra sound, I'd choose:

mortal kombat
sanfransisco rush
wave race 64

...I don't know what else.

So, what do you guys think of my ideas? If any developpers are out there, do you think it would be possible? It may be diicult, but me, as I'm sure many others (?) would be willing to pay for quolity games. (I'm no saying there aren't any quolity racing games-- top speed 2 is a very good game-- and so is malk one, but I mean games as described above.)

Oh, nd I hope I didn't offend anyone. Feel free to email me,insult me (email only, please) but I'd ratherhave constructive critisism than that tongue

and a final note. My keybord is acting odd. This is my second draft of this message, so anyone reading this sorry for the bad spelling. Ugh, I've got capitals everywhere. Its not because of my english-  can speak it fine- it my keybord. sorry lol. I'm just to laisy to correct anymore.

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2006-08-21 09:21:03 (edited by cx2 2006-08-21 09:21:29)

Unfortunately it would be very hard to adapt a mainstream game without the source code, and through an emulator would be doubly hard. The audio quake project for example was possible because ID software released the code for Quake, but even then the maps were often awkward and agrip are having to work on purpose built maps.

Personally I can imagine several mainstream games, which I used to play before losing my sight, that could have been adapted. Unfortunately doing this without the source isn't especially practical. I feel this is a great shame, since a few would almost be there with one or two additions.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-08-21 17:14:04

Well, it probably would- but if yu look at the following website, you will find music. But, that's probably not what we're looking for, though but its a start In some emulators you can record the gameplay although, now that I think of it, you'd need sited person to implement the turning and such. I was looking at moosic, and I saw that .smc was used. This is a format of audio that needs a player specificly designed for it; and its super nes music. But that really doesnt help anything since you'd have to rework the entire game and with no source code, that would be quite a challenge. I didn't know quake gave its sourcecode. I once played a game called multi championship racing. You could hear the guy talking to ypu; tyour coming up to a fork soon, hard left curve, etc etc. Now if only more mainstreme games utilized this, it would be far more easier. Many sited gamers thought that MRC was horrible; but for me, at least, it was an ok game and since I was blind it was fun. I also played need for speed which utilized the same thing-- left, right, etc etc. If MRC only had a few more minor improvements, such a not just saying track selection- and saying the track names and vehicle names I could've bought it. I'm blind, but I stil payed over 500 bucks for videogames; I wanted to be like everyone else.

2006-08-21 18:03:08

Hi
Since you said that Need For Speed could tell you like lef ort right and etc, does it have stario panning of the engine of the cars?
Thanks
Game Man

Game Man

2006-08-22 18:26:10

no, unfortuneately it doesn't, but lke isaid with a little more work itcould have. But you cn hear your car going off the road. I think it was need for speed 3, for the play sation but its been about 6 years since I played it. Same with MRC. If you ant more info on tese games, reviews are at:
http://www.gamefaqs.com
There you can click on all systems, and whichever system (playstation for need for sped and nintedno 64 or n64 for multi champion cip racing).

best reg
tbw

2006-08-23 09:48:38

Just FYI I believe ID software make a point to release their source code at some stage to support open source developments. It isn't immediately after release though, and it doesn't include any game data such as maps/weapons/sounds/etc.

I remember reading somewhere something about ID not having been sure whether they released the Q3 code too soon because it allowed exploits in multiplayer, but the feedback convinced them it was the right thing.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-08-24 20:39:30

Hmmm. Interesting. Its too bad- in some emulators, there are (or is) a .wav logger, that can record log sounds- but most likely that wouldn't help any, anyway. TIts too bad we couldn't simply add sapi voices to the games. *like jaws and windows, the sapi voice could just magicly detect a turn coming. That would be, in my mind, extrordinary...