2012-05-04 17:11:51

Dark, I think your time is better spent elsewhere then writing about Beyond Zork.  Though it does have rpg elements like hp, strength, and intellegence, These seem to be only additions as it is as far as I can tell not necessary to kill any monsters in the game unless they are blocking your path, and this will only happen if you are at a dead end with only one exit.  The final boss isn't even faught the sameway as the other monsters, but instead is a puzzle, and the monsters in the final dungeon are faught the same way enemys are faught in shadowgate.  That is, the player uses an item on each one.

Want to order food, but can't get out? Try this .
https://postmat.es/Tw5eUTrBn4

2012-05-05 01:26:43

Fair enough nina, I'll look for other text rpgs, though if anyone has suggestions I'd be interested to here about them.

As regards those arcade games aaron, are those the same ones that exist in the "Experimental" section of I'fiction.org? They have joust, pong, tetris and a couple of other random project to try and do text versions of rpgs in there.

I'd never really considdered giving them db entries though, sinse they always struck me as more a novelty experiment than something really intended to be played seriously as a game.

That's why the tads game slap that fish, even though it's officiallly counted as an rpg for some reason on baf's guide won't be getting a db page, sinse it was just a bit of randomness more than a game that actual rpg fans would be happy playing if that makes sense.

@nina, I've not come across shadowgate, Shadow lands! the tads game I had considdered giving an entry to, though to be honest the combat in that game was rather random, also perhaps magocracy and never keep (I need to try never keep myself).

Maybe idols of war, though sinse the creator went on to kerkercroup and just expanded the system rather than working on idols of war, and so the game is still pretty much a demo I may be inclined to give that one a miss as well.

Oh, and just in case anyone who has been keeping up with eamon deluxe was wondering, I'm not planning to give individual pages to each eamon title either, sinse that would be pointless as they all come in the same pack (plus there are nearly 300 of them!), though as soon as it's out of private beta I'll completely redo the eamon deluxe entry with a better explanation, and maybe some more extensive explanation of what games the Eamon system runs.

Eamon however is not the only text rpg out there by any means, which is why I'm so interested in games like treasures of a slavers kingdom and the like.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-05-11 04:39:01

Does anyone know where I can find a solution to ToSK? I can't seem to find anything online, and that zip file that has them is password locked, and probably pdf anyway. blah. Some help would be appritiated.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2012-05-12 16:19:19

slightly off topic, but does anyone have any IF recommendations that work with winfrotz as nvda cant use glukx yet?

2012-05-12 17:38:24

Hi Dan.

Well the vast majority of if is written in zcode and thus will work with winfrotz no trouble, including games like the legendary infocom ones and the commercial if from malinch. All the malinch games have db entries, and you can find a link on the winfrotz page to a place where the infocom games can be downloaded.

If you want an rpg, Wumpus 2000 is certainly worth a go. Random combat, a randomly generating map and lots of very nicely described monsters, see it's db page for details, (treasure of a slavers kingdom will be getting a page as well).

for more standard, puzzle like if, myself I can only recommend the games I have personally enjoyed, which tend to be those that are more focused on understanding and exploring the environment than solving random riddles.

Dreamhold by andrew plotkin, (also serving as something of an if intro), is a good one to start with. I also enjoyed wearing the claw by Paul Obrian, a rather fun surrealist fantasy, his earth and sky superhero series (the first game is zcode and will work with winfrotz though the second and third are glulx), Pythos Mask by emily short, a great piece of fantasy with a wonderful dialogue system, and djinni chronicles, though that one is a little tough in places and I found I needed to consult the walkthru.

there are likely others as well, though those are personal favourites in Zcode.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-05-12 23:13:06

I found Wearing the Claw  quite good. Earth and Sky episode 1 was good as well. The windhal chronicals' the path to fortune is another one if you like fantasy. Treasures is a must-play for IF RPG fans. Although in glulx, Kerkerkruip is a must-play as well.
I have to disagree with Nina about Beyond Zork, as the attributes play a large role in the game, for instance your inteligence is a key to using scrolls, your dextarity is key for climbing and fighting, and strength is key to carry a large amount of items. So dark If you have time, or if Arq and Nocturnus wouldn't mind, beyond Zork definately needs a DB page as well.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-05-13 01:22:59

I don't kno blindncool. I might have to try the game, but judging by everything I've read I'm really not sure how much the attributes affect gameplay at all, indeed see the above comments in the spag review about the combat "interupting the puzzles"

Many if games have some sort of scoring or random numbers system. Dreamhold for instance has the mask collection as scoring, while even original Zork and the colossal cave had a very random combat sequence, and Djinni chronicles has a couple of stats, sinse every move you take up your djinni's spirit, and if you run out of spirit you die.

however, tough some of these traits are rpg ones, none exist in any of those games in enough of a degree to make me classify them as rpgs. While the genre classifications are of course fluid and not fixed, ---- eg Puppy1 could! count as either a flight sim or an arcade game, it's necessary to decide what a game's main emphasis is and what it most closely resembles.

though in puppy 1 you fly a plane, the game is fast action, sterrio targiting and building up score, not any kind of propper simulation of actual flight in three dimentions, so it's an arcade game.

path to Pelantas has you controlling a small number of characters as they battle, with stats, equippable weapons, battle tactics, very much text description and a large world. however, most emphasis is on the tactical battling placement and use of your resources in the game as you compete with other players, so pelantas is a stratogy game not an rpg.

So, I do wonder from what I've read if beyond Zork is more a standard, puzzle style if game than an rpg.

I'll try the game myself and we'll see, but from everything I've heard I'm still not entirely convinced.

2012-05-13 01:23:01

thanks again dark
by the way, the nvda plug-in is meant to go in the app-modules folder, but unfortunately that's not anywhere in my nvda directory.
any ideas on how to get it to work?
on the upside, i've got sappy working with it, i just cant control speech at all.  its doable though at least.
now i've gotta figure out how to advance. big_smile

2012-05-13 08:30:35

I'm afraid I don't know about the plugin, Trenton is probably your man there, but Yep, that's the problem with the sapi, I'm hoping however it'll be fixed soon. winglulx has a very similar sapi function as well if you wanted to play kerkerkruip, or indeed the other earth and sky games.

2012-05-13 15:21:02

it does? well that changes things.  i'll give that a go, as i'm anctious to try as many rpgs as possible, to give me a break from revising

2012-05-13 23:11:20

I also mentioned winglulx to David kinda as needing the sapi updates like winfrotz, so hopefully that will be fixed soon, which is good sinse Victor who developed kerkerkruip has also written some inform extentions for making rpgs so we might see more in the glulx format at some point.

Kerkerkruip is particularly awesome though and well worth a try.

2012-05-14 00:08:37

it definitely seems so, i just cant seem to get sapi to read the help screens propperly.   is there a manual anywhere at all? for i've heard its very complex

2012-05-14 02:50:15

wjYep? That's correct. Make sure though, you don't place the entire folder in to the apmoduels folder. Just the frotz.py file.

Also, it seems better to work, if you load the game from the open dialog, and restore a saved one from there, and not from Windows explorer.
Hope that helps.

2012-05-14 10:28:00

Yes, sapi with the help system is a little bad sinse sapi doesn't really read the menue well. I suggest you try your virtual curser for that and use sapi to play the game itself.

There is a short beginners' guide in pdf form (see the link on the kerkerkruip entry), but that just gives the basics I'm afraid.

It is however worth a little fiddling with the game to get it running, sinse it's exceptional, particularly in it's combat.

2012-05-16 02:57:13

Hmm, that makes me think about BZ. Yes dark, Kerkerkruip is awesome. I just wish there was a way to play it online, since my laptop has just gone kerblonk and I'm stuck with my braillenote. I do hope Humanware adds support for Glulx. The console version of tads does a good job of cutting out multimedia, if only Humanware could get source from Mike for it.
Or hopefully they will add Tads support as magocracy is a tads game.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-05-16 09:31:37

I doubt very much there would be a console glulks or one that cutout multimedia, sinse the entire point of the glulks, or rather inform 7 format was to have! more stuff in a text game than standard zcode would do. This could be colourful art or different writing styles (one reason the earth and sky games were done in Glulks, so that they looked like superhero comics, though this made no difference to the access), or even music and sounds, or indeed complex game mechanics such as Kerkerkruip or (shudder though I might), flexible survival has, if it weren't for the ridiculously, extremely over the top crudity of the adult descriptions, flexible survival would be a pretty cool rpg in it's own right.

So, I doubt you'll see a stripped down version of Glulks unfortunately, at least from a main If developer, though what might be done specifically on a braille note I'm not sure.

2012-05-17 06:33:19

Thanks for the kind words on ToaSK, folks. smile

- S. John (Ghalev)

2012-05-17 08:19:39

Hi John and wlecome.

The gamenow also has a database entry Found here

Definitely a fun game.