2006-07-24 05:51:12

Hi.

I've just gone and downloaded lockpick, because I was a trifle board and wanted something quick ---- though not devoid of logic to occupy my time.

I managed to wrack up a score of 85, which I thought was probably reasonable enough to post, accept that when I try posting the score I get an error message, even though I've done all the correct things with the config programme.

Is the L-works server stil accepting scores? or is this yet another example of university network syndrome.

Any enlightenment would be helpful.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-07-24 07:36:40

no, it's still up, but it seems to be doing weird, because it said there was an error and my score got still posted. and if you look at the top 10 scores for lockpick you just get some impossible to get scores i think, well someone posted them so they did that bu i don't know how.

2006-07-24 09:10:35

Agreed, some of those scores are rather rediculous ---- over 2500?> wow! how much extra time is that!

On second thoughts i'm probably best keeping off that scoreboard in any case, as it seems I've absolutely no chance of getting anywhere on it without major serious grim and dedicated practice in the art of lock pickery!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-07-25 05:53:58

I'll warn you about that university network thing:

Different programs use different "ports" to communicate, for example web pages always go through port 80. There are other port numbers specifically reserved for other common uses, such as smtp (email), etc. University and college systems here in the UK often block *all* connections that do not fit into certain port hnumbers, blocking for exampleinstant messaging sometimes or things like muds. Anything going through an unusual port number could easily be a hack attempt so it isn't allowed by, there's no way to tell what the signals are for beyond the port number used. Unless the game uses something like a HTTP link to send the scores the chances of it going through are practically nil.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-07-25 06:20:14

Hmmm, well it is true that Durham has an absolute security phobia, and I've thought for a long while this is the reason why I cannot connect to Muds.

but as reguards score posting and such, while I wouldn't have expected most game score posting or online play to work, they do.
I've played several Lords of the galaxy games online, and Galaxy ranger has no connection troubles (though I've not yet managed to be connected at the same time somebody else is), the same went for Super football when i WAS TRYING THE DEMO (THOUGH i DECIDED AGAINST BUYING THE GAME).

I've also posted scores from several games to the Bsc, Draconis and Klango websites, though the Klango application "word of the day" won't connect either.

Lworks is the only score server that seems to have trouble, so I was wondering which end the trouble is at.

Btw, Cx2, would you happen to know if university network connections would interfere with the instalation and running of Microsoft Net framework?

Several times I've tried to install it, and though it seems to install alright, it always runs into very severe and complex problems at start up, but because Hal doesn't run until windows starts successfully, I can't tell what these are. the only way to solve said problems is that by doing a system restore. I'm now kicking myself for not having Net framework installed in the first place when i got my computer sinse there are several applications that require it (including the Usa games). I'm just hoping it's something to do with iether the university network or it's security, so that when I eventually find a flat and move out of colidge I can get those things working.

2006-07-25 18:06:53

no, i am experiencing the errors too, so are some other people i know of. although it says there was an error, your score still tries to get posted.

2006-07-26 04:34:37

That dot net issue doesn't quite sound like a network problem to me I'm sorry to say, unless some of the install occurs after reboot. If you consider that someone might have dot net framework set up on a laptop which doesn't always have internet access it would be quite a major issue if it caused problems if it couldn't connect.

And I know other people were having score posting issues, I just said that in case the error was a different one. I don't like assuming anything, although the statement that other games managed to post scores does seem now to indicate that it is the same issue.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-07-26 10:18:48 (edited by dark empathy 2006-07-26 10:20:18)

Such was my thought reguarding the score server, but as other people have clearly had problems posting scores it's probably nothing to do with the university network.

The only reason i wondered if the net framework was being affected by the durham network, is that the Durham network does perform some rather odd security checks on your computer. for instance, in order to get onto the network, you must have a copy of Mcaffi and Spybot search and destroy.this is fair enough, but at frequent intervals the university network will check any machine connected to it, and automatically install the prgrammes.

this was very weerd and slightly frustrating when I was trying to install a copy of Norton anti-virus, sinse the university network absolutely refused to allow an install of Norton, and would remove it rather quickly and replace it with Mcaffi.

Iether way, I will hopefully be getting another laptop at some point in the future, and I can run some net framework applications such as the Usa games on that ----- though another programme which I rather wanted to run won't unfortunately be possible.

2006-07-26 15:56:28

Hi
When I play pigeon panic, even though I know that I'm in the top ten high scores, the game says that my score was too low but when I checked, my score was posted.
Game Man

Game Man