2006-07-21 20:18:09

hey, does anyone like the shades of doom music? don't you just think it's os good? i dunno how to explain, but it sounds so good!

thanks
shaf

ps: arjan, come on, i can only speak to you when i can! ha! i don't even make sense!

2006-07-31 19:42:19

don't you think it's good?

2006-08-01 11:56:43

Lol, of course it is, since Kely did it, but why is this so inportant, i mean for a post?

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-08-02 01:08:02

you mean kelly?

Regards:

tomi

2006-08-02 22:27:25

Actually, the music isn't as good as it cound be. In shooters you rarely have music like that, it's usually more upbeat and more action style music. Not that Kelly did a bad job, I love it but I think it could be a lot better.

Discord: clemchowder633

2006-08-02 23:50:09

watch out, Kelley's reading this forum! ROFL

Well there's only 2 types of music, and they switch between level to level. So you really don't have a big choice on music... Otherwise the tune is OK.

Regards:

tomi

2006-08-03 02:25:21

Hi
I think the music is okay but I just wish that it would progress more.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-08-03 15:01:11

I agree. It would've been nice to have more variety in the music and to have a different theme for area nine when you fight all those bosses. My favorite tune would have to be the one that plays on the main menu, the piano one. Of course you really don't appreciate that one until you hear it during the ending sequence. Now that's where it really shines.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-08-03 17:35:25

I'm surprised anyone really noticed the music uch less likd it so much.  Personally I could do without those lame eighties-style drums in some of the songs, and that main menu theme is ok (I think Kevin Reeves did some of the tracks)_ but not very triumphant or anything.  I'm not complaining though since you really don't notice it that much or at least I idn't.

James

2006-08-04 00:46:05

I agree. Again, if Shades of Doom had more stype music like say Perfect Dark, Goldeneye 007, and doom etc.

2006-08-21 03:19:09

Sorry, i installed the game
and I had no clue of what to do, even after reading the instructions. It reminds me of agrip: audio quake...

Something something something insert canine related comment here

2006-08-21 09:26:20 (edited by cx2 2006-08-21 09:27:19)

That's because they are both FPS games.

Look at the instructions again. Tab tells you what's in front of you. You will start facing down a corridor, when you hear sounds in a direction there is an object or enemy there. You should at some point hear beeps to the left representing doors, you have to move until they are directly to your left, turn to face them and open them before entering the rooms there.

Look for an option in the game to listen to the sounds it uses, there's usually one in most audio games. It will let you know what the sounds for doors are, and the sound telling you how close you your weapon is to being aimed directly at an enemy and so on.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-08-21 23:26:16

hi.

the music is alright, i liked the piano sequence at the start, however it starts to grate a little when you listen to it a lot.

the music in doom however is some of the best i've heard, and some of the doom background noises such as in level titled "limbo" would have been good in shades of doom.

what i didn't like about s.o.d, was that it seemed as if someone had made a complex full of empty rooms and corridoors.
in doom there were toxic canisters that you could use to blow up your enemies if you got them close enough, there were pools of acid you had to dodge and the items left ontop of the pools that you had to get before you died, they where great obsticles to overcome.
don't get me wrong sod was great, but it just felt empty to me. there were no computer noises to suggest a scientific facility, nothing.
well, there were the alarms, but they were'nt much. the only thing that come close to a little background was the toilet part.
other than that it's pretty barron.
don't you think?
no offence to david of course, he really made a good game, it's just that say even in monkey business labs without graphics the sounds used completely got across the fact that it was a lab.
best reg.

archer

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-08-22 21:14:53

hey, you left the gas trap, lol.
Other than that, the rooms and corridors are really empty, indeed.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-09-02 15:09:35

Hi,
I think the Music in Shades of Doom is good, but I wish you had some different music for level 10 where you had to fight the bos. Apart from that, SOD is a great game.

2006-09-02 18:22:03

Eliot you're thinking of level 9, not level 10. All level 10 is the ending sequence. The bosses are level 9. I do agree that, apart from the equipment noises in some of the rooms, the toilets and the gas trap, the base was pretty barren of life. Yeah there were the monsters but there was almost no atmosphere to the place. Come to think of it much of the game is this way, not just the base. The monsters, bosses and even the character is pretty 2-dimensional. This is why, if I were ever to get permission from David Greenwood (highly unlikely I know), I would do a remake of SOD that provided more of a fulfilling experience. The enemies would be greater in both variety and numbers, and there would be more of a story. Actually the idea that really appealed to me was to have a selection of different characters to choose from when you start a new game. Each character would come with different strengths and weaknesses and, most important of all, his or her own story. The game story could also use some incorporation into the actual game, as well as some major polishing. You could have the player enter the base to make their investigation, whereupon they'd observe the state of the place, fight a boss monster at the end of the level and only then get the Ok to shut the machine down. It could play out a little like Tank Commander, where you have updates from your superiors from time to time.
  The weapons could also be more varied. You could have the guns like normal and even that long knife, but it it'd be cool to have a cutting laser that would be the only way to kill certain enemies. You could also have an enemy scanner as part of your EVA, that would be able to tell you not only the name of and distance to each monster, but also some hints as to how you might be able to deal with them. This system was used in Metroid Prime for Game Cube. The scanner would tell you the name of the monster, some background and a hint about its weaknesses. The same could be done with equipment. You could learn what eacch machine was for and, if need be, use it. It might even be able to provide a warning about those two machines that blow up and kill you when you shoot them, but then again that might detract from the challenge. Heck, I'd even put a few more of those throughout the base.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-09-02 20:13:10

I couldn't agree more. But you know some modern games like Red Faction, Transfers and Haylo 2 all have really awesome sound tracks? And the fact that the music changes from background to battle is really awesome. It'd be really cool in Sod. Like say you have some really haunting and slow song in the background. All of a sudden while you're walking down a corridor past an opening leading down another hallway, two monsters appear from the intersection to block your path. Then the game should follow up with huge clang from the procution to symbolize surprise, then crank up some heavy rock as you blow these monsters back to their moms. And then, if more monsters should appear, change to some other heavier song. The basic point is to make a not so heavy song for just one or two monster, whereas it goes to like major speaker-blowing rock songs when you get swarmed.

2006-09-03 07:13:51

I'd lean away from weapons that you need to use to kill certain enemies myself, but there is no harm in making some enemies more resistant to certain weapons or almost immune to one or two. It would get to the point where you have a weapon for every enemy at the extreme, and that isn't good in my view.

And witht he music we have to be careful it doesn't overload the player who is trying to hear to play it. Remember that in mainstream games the sound is very much secondary. This doesn't mean it isn't possible, just that the weight and volume should be carefully considered. Pumping rock or heavy metal might not be a good idea, but without testing it you can't really say for certain.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-09-03 08:08:16

That's true. If you've ever played Namco's Urban Reign, the music is heavy-duty rock and heavy metal. But the sounds stil come through all right. And with the S.O.D feature to adjust the music volume, it would really improve the game a lot.

2006-09-03 09:50:24

i agree you have to be careful with that.

2006-09-03 20:29:43

I didn't say anything about making every enemy resistant to certain weapons. All I said was that certain enemies, note the key word Certain, might be immune to, say, a bolt gun, so you'd need another weapon. You could make blobs, let's say, immune to all but laser weapons, or have different types of blobs and only have the stronger ones appear on the later levels. Or you could create an entirely new enemy that only appeared on the later levels and it would be vulnerable only to a laser pistol or Bio Disruptor. Mainstream games feature this type of situation all the time and therefore there's no real reason why we shouldn't match them as much as we can. Everybody's complaining about how simple most audio games are, so this could remedy the situation. Yeah we'd need to set limits on it, but who cares? I certainly don't.
  I do agree that the music in SOD should have done more to reflect the situation. I can't describe how unrealistic it feels when you're playing SOD, you've got that piano theme playing in the background and you're trying to fight off a hoard of mutants. Treasure Hunt is a good example of what Assault Freak and some others mean. You're exploring the lab, you're suddenly spotted by a guard and the music changes to that upbeat rock theme. And the sounds came through all right in that game, so it could be done with SOD, especially since you can adjust the music volume, there should be no problems. Or, you could have it start out loud, like right when you get spotted, then settle into a quieter but still upbeat theme. Well, there's my two cents.

2006-09-03 23:39:38

You rock Brian. Finally someone else who catches the point. I mean, the song that's played is okay, but it's all sad and quiet. If you're fighting off a swarm of mutants, that just doesn't work... and the music isn't as ominous and creepy as it should be either.

2006-09-04 04:01:50

Ohn the music front I was merely exercising caution.

And with the weapons, from past experience modern mainstream gfames very rarely have enemies that are only vulnerable to one weapon. Only being able to use one weapon against a particular enemy gets repetitive fairly fast in my view. Resistance is good and introduces variety, immunity to all but one of two weapons usually detracts.

cx2
-----

2006-09-04 04:14:06

Well, in Red Faction you see a lot of that. There are soldiers who are imune to everything except for assault rifles or sniper rifles, and there are things like mercinaries which can only be killed with the same weapon they use.

2006-09-04 05:16:00

Look at the Metroid games. That series abounds with enemies that can only be killed with the missile launcher, wave beam, ice beam and what have you, so you can't necessarily say it's rare in mainstream games either. It may not be in every game but it is more common than you seem to realize. Besides, you'd place the required weapon in the same area that the new enemy appeared, assuming you didn't already have it on you. There'd be a way around it until you were able to acquire the right weapon(s). As I said this feature is actually quite common in mainstream games if you know where to look.