2012-03-19 00:30:20 (edited by Hatred 2012-04-13 10:42:46)

Hey guys, Hatred here. Just got done fixing a few major bugs in my very first Audio Game and realized that it's ready for testing. The name is a working title and may change, specifically if I find another game by the same name.

Audio Wars is a turn based strategy game similar to the Risk board game. In Audio Wars, the goal is to conquer the map and eliminate your opponents while they try to do the same.

Please keep in mind that this game is still in the very early stages of development. It's playable but you'll probably find many bugs and errors as you play. I'll try my best to fix things as quickly as you find them but please be patient. I'm still new to this.

Aprone has graciously allowed me to use his server to host the download. Thanks a lot man!

Download Audio Wars Alpha 1.5

Download the Map Editor

Before you play, I would strongly recommend reading the Read Me file as it will explain the controls and basic game play. If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or bug reports, please post them here and I'll respond as quickly as I am able.

Hope you enjoy it!

2012-03-19 00:57:56

Going to give this a shot right away man! Gladd your in the audio game developing mindset!

2012-03-19 01:38:46

Oh! my! god! This game is awesome! I tried it right away, and I loved it. If you take this game further, it will be great. The only thing I can't understand is why you have all of these dll files and ocx files in the directory. Are they going to used soon? Other than that, the game is perfect. How did you get the program to generate names that made sense. I played this one game, and the names it generated where so, so, so, inhuman. I would like to know. Plus, what program are you using to write this. Sorry for all of the questions. I am just so excited that we have a new developer in business.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2012-03-19 01:45:26

is this akin to sound RTS.
Or is it different, sorry I just never played risk, and I'm on a braillenote write now so I can't play it, but if  someone would put up an mp3 of them playing the game, and put it on the general games room, then it would atract publicity, and I could stream it if it was on db, and listen to the game before playing, maybe not even a review, just a trailler, I'd do that if I was a dev, it might even be kinda fun.
I don't know how the game sounds, or even if it has sounds, but if you need some help with that then email or pm me please, I'll help.

2012-03-19 01:56:42

@arqmeister
Thanks for checking out the game! Hope you like it.

@gamedude
I'm really glad you like the game. I have a lot of ideas for expanding it in the future. The dll files and ocx files were included just in case they were needed in the future. I'm going to remove the extras and just include those that are specifically needed in the next release. The name generation is a secret I'm afraid. It's a mix of creative programming and voodoo magic, with a hint of virgin sacrificing tossed in for good measure. lol, actually it's a system Aprone showed me that works really well. All I can say is that you should never run into a situation where you play against two people named the same.

I'm programming this game, and any others I make in the future, in VB6. I originally started as a Java programmer but Aprone converted me to VB6 after talking for a few years. The language is a bit outdated but it's still very useful for making games quickly.

@defender
It's almost nothing like sound RTS. I think the best way to explain the game is to post part of the read me file. If you have any questions after reading it, let me know and I'll do my best to explain further.

General Gameplay

The goal of Audio wars is to take over the map and eliminate all other players. Each round is seperated into two main phases.

Attack Phase. In the Attack Phase, you select the army in one of your controlled zones and send them to attack an empty zone or an enemy zone. If the zone is empty, you will automatically take control of it. If the zone is controlled by an enemy force, your army will fight against theirs. If you win, you will take control of the zone.

Reinforce Phase. In the Reinforce Phase, you will be given Army points to place in your controlled zones. Army Points are awarded based on your biggest chain of controlled zones. For example, if you control 8 zones that are all connected, you will gain 8 Army Points. If, however, you control 8 zones and 6 are connected while the other 2 are not, you will only gain 6 Army Points. Each zone you control can have up to a maximum of 8 Army Points. If you have more Army Points that you can place, they will be stored for use in future rounds.

2012-03-19 02:37:22

How about you PM me the generation method. I won't share it. I just want to know for future refrence.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2012-03-19 02:40:48

Hi.
i just tryed this. hm while it isn't my type of thing, i can see why people like it. i just don't like these kind of games. i preofre walking around and shooting or things like that. but great job, on creating your first audiogame!

I'm gone for real :)

2012-03-19 02:53:04

I'm happy to say that I was part of the testing team that got to play this game early.  It is a great start at what I believe will be a very fun game.  The AI is already difficult to beat at first, and there is a ton of potential.

The best tip I can give to new players is to be aware of how your land is chained together.  If you have 5 pieces of land but the computer can cut you in half by taking out a single territory, then that territory is the one you need to reinforce.  At the end of your turn you gain a new army point for each connected piece of land, in your largest chain.  Use this against your enemies too and target land that will cut them into 2 groups whenever possible.

I am very excited to see this game grow, plus it's always cool to gain a new developer!  big_smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2012-03-19 04:43:32

Hatred. love the game. I like the strategy envolved, it's a nice challenge. As you well know, sound effects will add much to the already fun nature of the game. Nice job so far.

2012-03-19 09:45:55

Ok guys, added some navigational hotkeys that should definitely help speed up the game a bit. Check the Read me or the Change Log for more info on those. Thanks to Kat for the excellent idea for the navigational keys!

Next step is to create a few more maps and add sound effects. I also plan to add the option to add more computer players for added difficulty. I'm also working on adding different difficulty levels to the A I.

So yeah, give it a try and if you have any questions or bugs, let me know and I'll get to them as soon as I'm able.

2012-03-19 11:11:37

need help with sfx now, or are you good.

2012-03-19 11:38:16 (edited by Hatred 2012-03-19 11:55:18)

Currently, I'm not even sure what sound effects I'll be adding to be honest. I appreciate the offer and I may send you a message if I need help.

Also, just updated to Alpha 1.3

Not a huge difference really, but enough to warrant a separate version in my mind. You can now select how many computer opponents you want to play against when starting a game. The max number of players is based on the size of the map. Simple World Map has a max of 2 opponents while the Complex World Map has a max of 7.

Also in this update, I tweaked the enemy A I to be more aggressive. Enemies will now sometimes attack when their army is the same power or even if it's lower than the zone their attacking. It should make the game a bit more exciting.

2012-03-19 17:38:17

I've given the new AI a try and I think it is still pretty similar in difficulty, but now it is definitely scarier.  At least before, once you got used to how it played, you knew you were safe if your land had a stronger army because it wouldn't even attack but now it might still attack you anyway.  Of course that means it is more likely to lose, but I've had times where a 2 attacked my 3 and knocked me down to a 1, and then the AI used his other army of 2 to then take over my 1.  So it makes them seem a bit more organized now which also makes it harder to predict what they will do.  Nice work!  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2012-03-19 19:02:13

hello

good job, this game rocks!

i found myself loving it

thank you and keep up the good work!

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2012-03-19 19:59:50 (edited by Hatred 2012-03-19 20:07:21)

Hey guys, just a quick update. Well, quick in the sense that I'm rushing to post this as I run out the door to head to work. lol

I added the ability to save and load games so you don't have to finish a full game in a single sitting. I don't know how much it's need right now but I can definitely see it being useful in the future. I also fixed a pesky bug that caused a small delay after you placed your points in the Reinforcement phase. Yay for bug fixes!

Also, I have a question for those of you that have played on the Complex World Map. Do you think that the map is too big? Or do you think there is room for bigger maps? I ask this because I'm not sure how big to make the maps from here on out. I plan to release map packs that have 2 to 4 maps, ranging from small 2 or 3 player maps to giant 8 player maps.  So the question really is, how big is TOO big for a map?

2012-03-19 21:45:54

Hi,

I just downloaded this, and I get a runtime error can not find file  when I try to run the .exe file. It doesn't say what file is missing. What should I do?

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2012-03-19 21:56:03

Staindaddict, you extracted it first right?  It's working for me so I'm not sure what would be going wrong.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2012-03-20 01:22:25

Hi all. I think that maps can be bigest or large. This game is super, i like this strategic games. Thanks your work.

2012-03-20 02:15:51

Sounds like you have an excellent game hre. I just downloaded it, and I'll definitely be taking a look. We were discussing a risk-like game on the Audyssey ist, although we weren't sure how to circumnavigate possible copyright issues. Looks like you did that nicely.
big_smile

Best Regards,
Hayden

2012-03-20 05:33:48

Thanks Hayden! smile I'm glad you're excited about it. I've been wanting to release a game for a while but never got around to actually doing it until now. Hopefully I can polish this one up and make it something worth playing for a long time to come.

For now, I think the game is stable enough to put development on hold while I work on the Map Editor. If any bugs pop up, such as one rather nasty bug I fixed that allowed the player to basically conquer as many lands as they wanted with no army, I'll of course jump to fix them as quickly as I can. However, I feel that a working and accessible map editor will add a lot to the game.

So, that's what I'll be working on for now. Shouldn't take too long to get a test version up and running. Until then, play the game a bit and let me know if you run into any bugs or errors! Thanks again guys!

2012-03-20 06:52:03

Hey Aprone,

I did extract it first. Not sure why I'm getting this error.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2012-03-20 07:09:00

staind, I accidentally released a pack earlier that was missing the Saves folder. Check and make sure that folder is there, otherwise it will not work properly. All in all, you should have a Saves folder and a Maps folder in the same directory as the AudioWars.exe.

2012-03-20 07:19:07

Wow, just notice a HUGE bug that basically trapped you in the Load Game menu if you didn't have a save file. I've uploaded version 1.5 with that and a few more bug fixes. No additions this time around, just pure bug squashing. Please re-download the newer version, it's MUCH more stable than 1.4.

2012-03-20 17:33:49

HI,
One suggestion I have for you would be to choose how many army units to send, given a land has more than 2. I've often found that I'll have, say, an army of five on one zone, and attack another zone. This leaves Zone A farely vulnerable with just 1 unit, and I end up inevidably losing it to the next computer player. Otherwise, I love what you've done there.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2012-03-22 16:10:06

Hi! This game is very good to play. I will be happy, that map creator and sounds will be get to this game soon. But also, I have a request or idea. This game will be a good game to multiplayer. Please, can You think of my idea Hatred? I am sorry, but I am not good English speaker, English is my learned language as a foreign language. Thank You.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.