2012-03-06 16:45:32

I've gotten the alert boxes, but not the screen reader mode.

2012-03-06 17:03:51

The latest version of the beta includes the updated readme, with a keylist included. You should be able to find a keylist in-game either by the help menu, or by pressing h during game play.

Press control plus tab to switch between sapi and screen reader mode. The message settings are still used regardless of which voice method is in use.
I'm not sure if the demo is up to date with regards to screen reader detection. I was actually thinking of using my custom_voice class to handle that, but then I checked the code and found that I'd already set it to detect which screen reader was active.

As for combat...
It's a little bit of both, though mostly turn-based. Combat doesn't interrupt normal game play, unless it involves something special, like grappling a large group, or some other skill that involves a minigame. (Note that those minigames are timing-based).
Grappling turned out more fast-paced than I intended, but manageable enough that I wound up not slowing it down. Though, I guess starting off in a grappling match with six enemies at once is a bit much for an intro challenge. The reason I went sith that many was actually to help make it easier to understand how the grappling matches are set up spatially, but as fast as it is that didn't quite wind up as I had intended.
Grappling wound up more button-mashing than I intended. I would literally suggest just pressing A, K, up and right as quickly as possible (not necessarily in that order, heh). For Kaiasaki's intro, there are enough enemies that you can use just about any direction and see results, in fact left would be pretty effective since it would try to throw an enemy into the center of the mob.

Kaiasaki and Spectro's intros I think give the least direction. I tried to improve that, but it's pretty difficult, heh.  Spectro's I think can be figured out with some exploring, but there's a step in Kaiasaki's that isn't remarkably intuitive (it involves taking that green star to the north of that area... I think I'll leave it at that. )
Well, and even for me, Kaiasaki's intro is the easiest to die in, heh.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-03-06 17:23:04

Hmmm, I obviously have the key list, sinse I just downloaded the beta today, however I'm still finding it quite odd the way that enemies don't disappear when you've defeated them.

i tried toyota, but ran into a temple student. Had a pretty tough fight with him/her, but even when the game told me the student was defeated, they didn't go away, and I kept seeing them there in the room with me. Is there a special command to remove enemies once defeated? sinse this is pretty much the same as what was happening with spectro.

Also, the x and l keys don't appear to work as expected, I tried to examine the student with x, but the game just makes a sound and doesn't do anything, and pressing l puts me into page review which is strange.

As to combat, any more information? I'm still a little unclear on how exactly it's supposed to work, particularly sinse when using sapi some messages seem repeated twice over, and even simple fights against what look like generic enemies don't seem to end easily, ---- or indeed at all! given that defeated targits don't seem to go away big_smile.

Sorry for the cryticisms, in fairness I do really like the look of the game with it's various maps and locations, I'm just slightly unclear currently on how various things are supposed to work.

You might also considder some sort of overall intro, sinse while I get this is all part of some story or other, ---- heck even your website with it's planets seems part of the same story, it's a little difficult for an outsider who isn't in your head and doesn't get the hole story to get a handle on things.

the Chronicles of Arborell is a brilliant example of a continuous story and world with gamebooks and other gmes (even a war gaming system which is sadly inaccessible), set around it, but there the amount of background info on who you are and what your doing in any given game is pretty huge.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-03-06 18:09:15

Greetings!

I too am very amazed with this game!
The story lines, the random adventures that occur, and I love the different voices in there!

The following comments are meant to be "constructive" ones, and not "bashing" ones.

I do agree, that the "beta" tag should be either replaced with "demo," or "Shareware." Or possibly even "Donationware," as you can donate your time to get the full version, or pay.

Sadly for me too, ctrl-tab for switching to different screen readers does not work here on my Windows 7 32 bit machine with NVDA 2012.1 beta 2 running, as it doesn't detect it. Also, in the help menu's read me, the screen reader switch command is not even mentioned at all.
By the way, you can technically change sapi voices via the control panel. I did that myself in the beta, since anna for me was also too soft. Changed it to an ESpeak voice.
Finally with the read me, would it be a possibility to list your web site in there as well in bohth the in-game and txt file versions?
And is the "missing" txt file relevant now these days in the directory? The sword sound for example, is hearable.

The only other problem with the demo, is that x and l indeed do not work as they should, for examining and looking respectively. An idea for sound, is to add ctrl-page-up/down for controlling background sound, separate from music, although I think that was mentioned already.

Keep up the wonderful work with the game! I do indeed like it a lot! It is quite a master peace!

2012-03-06 18:12:44 (edited by CAE_Jones 2012-03-06 18:16:10)

Most enemies should disappear once defeated. Sometimes there will be an enemy that is referring to one of the bosses, so they'll still be there, but most enemies will disappear.
The weaker enemies keep a constant number on the map at all times, so when you defeat one, another respawns. It is possible that one respawned at the same location the other was beaten, but this is pretty unlikely in the intros, since those are unique maps, and the enemies respawn on the random maps. It is also possible that another enemy of the same type happened to wander into range at the same instance that another was defeated.

It's usually better to avoid fighting or try to use throws or your environment more in the intros, since most characters are going to start out at low enough a level to have trouble with the most basic enemies. (For instance, jump on a dumpster when an enemy is nearby, or try to throw them into traffic in Isuzu's intro).

I agree that an overall intro would be nice. I don't really know what it would involve, though. Maybe something where you briefly play as one of the Dark Legion bosses, that will hopefully give a better idea of how the other six characters fit into the same overall storyline? I'll certainly ponder how to go about adding such a thing.
(Everyone that's already paid is entitled to any updates, of course!)

[edit]
Trenton's post hadn't been made when I started on mine. smile
I find it very strange that it would have problems with NVDA, since I was using it with NVDA even before BGT supported direct screen reader output. Though, NVDA does tend to cut off spoken messages when some keys are pressed, so that might be interfering.
Well, that, or maybe the latest version of NVDA has changed what makes it work for me... I think I'm still running one of the 2011 versions.
[/edit]

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-03-06 19:48:24

I'm afraid I'm still not sure on some of these commands, particularly look and the talk command, as well as x, sinse I was just trying suzuki and being told "sanders here" or something like that, but not having any description when I hit l, x or c.

I did managed to win a fight and this time the student actually vanished when I beat him, though I stil wasn't able to examine him, nor did holding the a and k keys seem to work (again, some sort of explanation of combat would help).

for the intro, I don't mean another part of the game so much as a general overview of who you are, when and where this is set and what the heck is going on, sinse right now I have little idea of who is who.

For instance, I met toyota while playing as suzuki, and she said something about leaving what I presume is a martial arts school and finding a new teacher, ---- what school? is she his sister? what are they doing?

heck, I'm not even sure if the setting for the game is supposed to be modern day Japan with a few fantastic additions ala something like Mortal combat, or some sort of fantasy kingdom, ---- or indeed who all these people trying to kill you are and why this bunch of street fighter rejects are fighting against them.

I am extremely sorry if this comes across as harsh, it's certainly not meant to. I agree totally with Trentan that dle has the potential to be an awsome game. Moves, exploring, plot everything is here, it just currently feels far more like being thrown into the middle of a game than at a starting point, both in terms of it's plot, characters and world, and in terms of it's combat system and mechanics.

Actually thinking about it, one rather fun way around might be a playable intro with a Mr. miogi type martial arts master character who could explain the game and keys and who the heck this dark legion and the six characters your playing as are, where you are, and generally get the player into things a little more successfully.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-03-06 21:24:30 (edited by queenslight 2012-03-06 22:00:28)

Greetings!

I'm using BGT 1.1. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it or not.
Hopefully nothing's wrong there.
Of course, if i was able to switch between different screen readers or sapi anyway, control-tab would work even if no screen reader was running.
So, I have no idea what could be wrong.
Update!
Yep? NVDA 2011.3, has this same problem.
Anyone got BGT 1.0 or whatever update was before 1.1?

2012-03-06 22:10:19

Icks, it turns out the beta didn't include screen reader support after all. The full version does, but apparently I initially put up the beta before adding it.

I've added two new features to both the beta and the full version (people that have purchased should receive the update in the next twenty four hours or so).
First, you can now press F1 in normal game play to bring up a list of commands, if you have trouble remembering what key does what.
Second, you can press question mark at the main character select to view some information about the character. It's not much, but hopefully it will add something.
Oh, and the profile can change after certain major events to keep up to date with what's happened. So far, though, this only covers events in the demo.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-03-06 22:19:57

Hi cae.
i payed for the game now what?
i mean do i get it send to me or download it or something?
thanks.
wow paypal is easy to use lol

I'm gone for real :)

2012-03-06 22:25:22

Yes, you should receive a download link by email.
Though, I'm currently having some trouble getting the latest changes to upload, so it might take a few hours.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-03-06 22:26:56

Hi.
ahh ok.
can't wait!
you are great for making these games lol.

2012-03-06 22:29:38

I would be greater if I didn't take so long / got more French Business stuff done, hehehe. Thanks!

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-03-07 02:02:26 (edited by brad 2012-03-07 02:02:50)

thanks for the download!

2012-03-07 03:24:17

Hi.
well here are my thoughts on the game.
i like it but what i don't like is when you die you choose another chariture to do your quest, in my appinyun it makes the game less real. i no it is just a game but in games when you die you die.
another thing is the sound, when you go to the main menu from a map the sounds sometimes keap playing. hmm maybe something is rong with a looped peace of coad?
apart from that this is a good game.
it isn't  really my ttype of game, but, i think i will be buying games just to test them then you what i think of them. you being everyone. i preofre shooting and killing lodes of things insted of walking around and figgering out things. lol i guess i am lazy. so to finish off this rant, this is a good game so far i would give it a seven out of ten.
end note:
very nice price. i'm not disapointed in the game but if it was say 30 dollers and i payed 20 pounds for it i might have been abit more disapointed. hope you can understand and don't think i am being rood.

2012-03-07 03:54:10

Heh, yeah, I know it's not worth $30. Thanks for the feedback. smile

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-03-07 12:58:38

Well Personally I find financially putting a definite price on a game rather more difficult, even more especially considdering uk exchange wrates which lower all prices anyway.

For instance, esp pinball xtreme at 39 usd (or about 24 pounds), is one of the most expensive audio games, and is an arcade game to boot.

however, the sounds in the game are amazingly good, and with 8 or so ifferent pinball tables all with their own sounds, minigames and scoring, it offers a lot of stuff to do for the price even before you considdered the pinball party pack.

On the other hand, lone wolf is a game with comparatively few sounds that uses sapi or your screen reader, but has hundreds of user created missions to play and a very complex gameplay, which also imho made it worth the price, ---- though with that one it took a good few goes at the two demo missions before I was even half good enough to considder paying for the full version and playing the rest.

heck, I did something earlier this year that I thought i'd never do and paid for pontes backgammon, ---- a traditional game, but one with so many features, sound effects and customizations not to mention online play, that it was more than worth it.

Admitedly, there are! audio games that I think are not worth the price for one reason or another, ---- usually lack of playability, but deciding a certain game isn't worth the money is far easier than deciding how much any game should or should not cost.

For instance, in dle, you have six characters to play and a lot of randomness which would imply heavy replay value, though the game sounds and music could be improved in some areas.

Does this make it worth twenty dollars? thirty? ---- who knows!

I will say that Airik the cleric was priced at 15 dollars, and the malinch interactive fiction games are extremely expensive at 29 usd each, ---- those in my personal opinion are! over priced. But how much should dle cost?

Goodness knows! Heck, I'm still trying to get to grips with the beta, let alone thinking about the full version.

2012-03-07 13:05:36

Hi.
I still need to check out the latest beta which  I hopefully will got some time to do this weekend. How long time does it take to complete the game with all 6 characters? and does the game have some unlockables?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-03-07 14:00:46

How long does it take to complete with all six characters? Oh, my... I have no idea, but if I had to guess, quite a while.
There are indeed some unlockables, mostly more like easter egg type things. I think the demo actually does include quite a few hidden characters (a couple of them are more jokes than anything, but quite a few are more relevant).

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-03-07 16:15:09

Greetings!

Yep?
I did spot one of tghem!

My lips however, stay "cealed."

2012-03-08 01:03:46

Hmm, I seem to have an interesting issue.
When I tried to send the game to the last person who paid for it, my email was bounced.
Hm, what should I do...?

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-03-08 01:41:49

Hmm, could I have been that. My E-mailadress should be okay. Remove all spaces:
Niklas . Rittinghaus @ web . de
I have some other questions for the game:
I listened to the sounds of the beta. Will the full version have more sounds?
Is the game a mix between fantasy, marcial arts and science fiction? I have seen some space ship sounds and other there, wich looks interesting?
And you can get pistols and stuff like that, is that right? I begun playing the game, and the sounds i've found iritates me, cause I thought that you are only fighting against humans and only with fists, swords and such.
However, I bought it cause i like it.

2012-03-08 03:40:21

Yeah, I think it was you. I'll give it another try with the address you posted.

There actually is a way to get guns, but they are rare and don't last long. Shuriken are probably more reliable, heh.

I was actually going for "only just beyond realism" with the story, but as I got working on the game, I wound up throwing in just about anything that seemed like it could fit. While the result is a more fantasy-ish world for the game, some of these certainly influenced the underlying story as well. (Heck, most of my stories-to-games are more of a mutual relationship than a one-way thing... smile ).

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-03-08 04:01:44

aww, I want shuriken....hehe
both in the game and in real life haha
hey guys look what I found! *flings shuriken*
random person: ow, watch where you're throwing those things! haha

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2012-03-08 10:25:18

Wow, really, wow! This game sounds awesome. Sounds like it needs lots of great comments. smile I know what I have to spend some time on this weekend when I'll be at a place with a very bad wireless connection. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-03-08 18:36:43

Thanks, I recieved my download link.