2012-02-26 11:58:32 (edited by CAE_Jones 2012-08-20 22:15:52)

{{{ Last update: 20 Aug 2012, bug fixes. }}}
That's right, I finally got this in such a form that I feel like I can put up this download / purchase page.
And before we continue, keep in mind that the price is going to sponsoring future projects. If you can contribute to future projects without throwing money at me, I might let you do that instead and still give you a copy. Just contact me by PM or email and we can negotiate. (Or just pay the $10 and I'll send you your order).

Now, what exactly is this thing?

It's an RPG, using sound and text output. The interface is based on the keyboard, and there are several ways to configure the text feedback. So, if you're more into the long descriptions and blow-by-blow explanations, you can play that way; if you're more of a fast-paced player, you should be able to get to where you can ignore some messages once you've gotten the hang of it, and let the sounds explain what happens.

There is a story, and each character has a backstory. Some characters don't quite reveal much during this game, but most give details here and there. While the game includes a pretty large storyline with pre-made maps and goals, there is a significant random element, enough so that the game can be completely different every time you play!
There are six playable characters, and may or may not be a few hidden ones. As you advance through the game, you can unlock new skills, ... oh, and deal with that mysterious group of assassins that doesn't like you, for some reason.

A bit of warning to new players: yes, you need to fight. No, you shouldn't just rush out and start attacking things! You have stats and abilities to build up, so you'll need to be careful of your strategies, especially early on. Keep watch for things you can interact with; who knows what sorts of useful things you'll find? (Well, I do, but... Eah! tongue ).

Go forth and play!

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-26 13:09:30

I am going to check this thing out right now.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2012-02-26 14:17:39

lol I don't even know where I'm going in the beta of this game

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2012-02-26 14:19:00

What is Escape The Dark Legend?

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-02-26 14:30:18

Hi.
is this dle?
if so, i don't think i will be buying this one, sorry. but i tryed it and it doesn't seam to be my kind of thing.but saying that, if you say oyu can update your stats then hmm i might give it a go. because i don't think you could in the beta vertion.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-02-26 16:05:52

At Blindcool: It's... what I said in my first post, heh. There's also this recording from quite a while back.

At Brad: Yes, it is indeed DLE. If you didn't like the beta, I doubt you'll care for the full version enough to pay for it, heh.

I think I would describe it as halfway between Zork and Entombed, with quite a few unique elements.
I won't argue with anyone who says Entombed is better, heh. The overall design and sound quality of entombed beats DLE over the head and steals its lunch money. ... I probably should have checked the price of Entombed before setting this up, actually. *Goes to do that*

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-26 16:39:30

Hi.
lol the console thing is great!
do you mean the thing with dbz and otherthosetoother games?
oh yeah one doesn't work. but i think it is quite cool.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-02-26 17:52:59

You can interrupt sapi by pressing control.
There is indeed a fair amount of randomness, but your actions definitely make the difference.

Grappling is pretty hard to follow if you're trying to hear the messages. It turned out more fast-paced than intended, but I wound up deciding that was acceptable.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-26 22:15:13

hi
how can i slow down the speed of the sapi?

2012-02-26 23:01:59

The [brackets] control sapi speed.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-27 11:48:48

Hi.
I've tried the beta version, and found it confusing because each time I started the game with the same character, I was starting at a new place. So I never really got used to the game, but I'll give it a try again.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-02-27 15:12:05

Cae,
You might want to consider doing a couple things to make the game more attractive to random people visiting your site. The main thing I feel you should do is update the documentation in the beta level, fix any remaining bugs in the beta version that's posted now, and remove the beta label entirely. I'd call it a demo instead, as I suspect people will be more ready to download a demo that appears to be up to date, rather than a beta that is four months old and has a nearly empty readme.txt file.
Speaking of the beta, is there any basic functionality that is different in the full version? Also, how do you save games?

2012-02-27 16:14:42

I think I will update the readme in the beta, thanks for reminding me.
You save games by talking to Abato. He only appears in one place other than the random maps, but most everyone will need to go to the random maps eventually. (I think he might randomly appear atop cliffs that you can climb, but if so it's rare enough that I've forgotten for sure).

The full version adds skills, cleans up a few small bugs, and allows you to select a sapi voice. The overall functionality is pretty much the same, though there is much more content in the full version.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-27 20:22:55 (edited by CAE_Jones 2012-02-27 20:26:01)

Hm, I've not had the problem with room descriptions not being interruptable. The closest to that I've encountered is when driving a car.

Though, that there is pretty little in the way of direction once on the random maps is definitely a valid criticism, and is one of the things I've tried to improve upon.
Whether or not you get meaningful information from the NPCs tends to depend on who you're playing as (Leeshin will have more useful things to say to Isuzu and Kia, while Kavina gives more direction to Suzuki or Toyota).

There is one particular bit that I don't think I was ever able to work in good hints for, though, and that's following Suzuki and Toyota's storyline after the ocean bit. So I'll go ahead and mention that:
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
After you've talked to the villagers on the fishing boat, trying to fly from certain areas (I think roads and gullies will do it) will give you the chance to follow Chevrelet around for a bit, which will ultimately lead to something. There are other ways to get to that end, but they are easier to find through other characters.

Oh, and like I said earlier, it's commercial to support projects, so I'd take something other than money under the right conditions. But if you don't want to, that's fine, too. smile

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-28 03:10:45

lol, at this point I think I'm willing to exchange it for abandonning of academic integrity. ^_^

Neah, I'd recommend trying to get better with the demo before going for the full version, anyway. Though there's a general tendency for things added since the demo to be slightly less obscure (except for maybe that one thing involving a grapplinghook at a place where you wouldn't expect a grapplinghook...).

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-02-28 10:14:06

Well, I can't wait to read the updated readme which might be the reason for I never got used to the game, and generelly feel the game to be that much random, so I found it difficult to get used to.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-02-28 10:19:54

The random maps are a pretty important chunk of the game, but I did try to design the intro stages for each character so that they would make it easier to get into the story events without having to spend too much time on the random maps.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-03-01 20:37:59

well, i'm definitely going to give this a go, as part of the reason i was having dificulty was being stuck with microsoft anna on the old beta.

2012-03-06 12:56:22

Oopse! soory I didn't realize this was so complete. I'll deffinately write up some news and a db page when I've tried it, indeed I well might buy this myself, as other than a rather complex story and some wonky timing issues, I very much liked the beta version.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-03-06 14:23:05

I'm glad to hear that! big_smile
It's been suggested that I add a menu to help new players with the abundance of keystrokes. If/when that gets done, I'll get the update to everyone who's bought so far.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-03-06 14:30:28

Well hopefully having some news will help publicize the availability of the game and let everyone who wishes to buy it do so.

I'll try the beta myself later today and see how it works, ---- though you might consider at some point making a more uptodate demo version that has the features of the full version, but stops after a short time, ---- sinse i'm not sure how complete the beta is both in terms of story and in terms of features.

I also hope the current version is a little more complete in terms of story than the javascript one, sinse while I enjoyed that, I do remember being incredibly confused as to what I should b doing.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-03-06 15:28:54

I still find the game a bit confusing. The readme file i have is incomplete to the point that i couldn't find the keystrokes to play. CAE, could you give a layout of what key does what? Thanks.

2012-03-06 16:33:31

The readme in the beta I got from the above link seems to have a fairly complete keylist, however I'm still a little confused myself.

Firstly, the x for examine key doesn't seem to be working, when I want to examine stuff nothing happens. Then, hitting l seems no different from shift L if I want the long description again.

I'd also quite like an explanation of combat, sinse thus far I'm getting a trifle confused with that.

I started with kisuki, ran into a massive fight and got beaten up, (mostly because the sounds wee too loud to let me here the sapi messages and a hole bunch of messages with six crooks seemed to happen all at once).

I believe I've now set sapi to speak all, so presumably everything will be spoken, however I still! end up running into fights with multiple opponents and losing.

I also tried a game with spectro, but after a very hard battle with a crook and a laugh assassin (yes, that was what he was called, craziness!), I finally defeated them, accept the game told me they were still there and fighting and they ended up winning.

Sinse there is no combat section in the current readme, I'm at the moment slightly unsure how combat works, not the least whether it's supposed to be turn based like entombed, or real time like a mud.

The game looks great, and I especially like the look of randomized maps etc, however perhaps the beta needs a little expantion if it is to be a playable demo for a commercial game, ---- or at least have a reasonably comprehensive readme.

I'll go and give it another try, and probably will end up paying for the game if I can determine just what is going on with it.

2012-03-06 16:34:23

I can't seem to switch to screen reader mode. When I try, I just get the messages type to switch, but I never get to screen reading mode. I have the demo currently. It looks very interesting so far.

2012-03-06 16:39:35

Tab should switch output modes I believe, and it should auto detect your screen reader or default to alert boxes if it doesn't find one.