2012-02-22 02:14:42 (edited by TalonTheDragon 2012-02-22 02:16:06)

Alright guys. The following is what I posted to the DragonApps news archive. But first off I need to tell you that I promise, oh yes I promise, that I'm sorry. big_smile You'll see why.
3... I really don't... 2... Wanna do this... 1... Oh no, no no no! 0. Lift off!
*Deep breath*

Guys, this is it. This is the ultimate moment of moments. No, wait, the ultimate moment of ultimativly ultimate moments. Makes sense? Good!

Now, on to more serious things.
So I was out late last night, shooting off fireworks as usual, when... No wait, let's get serious this time.

Muhahaha, hahahaha. Ahem. That didn't work either. God dammit! And this isn't even funny!

Anyway, with all this bullcrap aside, and after being done giving the absolute worst image of myself I ever possibly could, I'm here to announce that...
Da, dada... da! Boom, boom, drum roll, crash!

Operation BlackSquare 1.2 has been released.
Straight and simple, right? And you all have been waiting for it, you have, have you? Please say yes, otherwise I will cry!

It took me about a month to complete this one. 2 of those weeks were spent skiing, which was wonderful, except I noticed how addicted I was. No, not to skiing, but to computers.

Changes include, but are not! limited to:
- Port to a new audio engine. I hope ya'll love this one. It supports environmental effects like Reverb, so this should work out great. Except it doesn't at times, thus you can turn it off in the options.
- Auto save! I know, you wanted this one for ages. But for some stupid reason I didn't put it in until now. So now you have it. I hope it works, it's the feature I have tested the least. But my testers didn't say anything to me, so I just assume it works.
- A few new extra weapons, now using up numbers 5 and 6.
- Run the game with the -fps switch in the terminal, followed by your desired FPS rate. Like 60. But... Don't try anything funky. It will most likely end up dying hardcore on you. I suggest leaving this one alone, if you're not some super cool geek. Thus, I'm not explaining it further. But hey, it's a change, or new feature, so it has to be here right? You shouldn't worry, I say, you shouldn't.
- performance increase! Yeah, the game should run a lot faster now. Turn off environmental effects for best performance. Instead of the usual 500 megs, the game now only uses 40! in ram. Cool, huh? Or, well, about. You can expect anything up to 100. But notm ore.
It's late. I'm forgetting something! Sigh. Let me think.
Oh yeah. Shell sounds are re-done, the machine gun has got a new sound, but that's mostly due to me not finding the unmodified old one. Yeah, I need it without the shell clunks in it already.
I hope, if there's anything new, it's noticeable. Because right now I can't think straight. Ahem. *Points to intro*

As always, look for clues on new cheat codes! Yeah, there are a few skattered around the post. Or a couple. Ok, not skattered. If you know me, you know where to find them.

So, let's see.

That's it guys. If there's anything, a totally embarrasing bug in the game or anything, don't let me know. Or wait, in fact, please do, and blame it on my testers!

So now, since you're screaming "Gimme that!" (Looky looky BTW, *Points to delete key*), download it at http://dragonapps.org/blacksquare I know, the site didn't change much, but the game is still the same is it not?

Now I'll run around the house screaming "Kill'em, Kill'em all!", probably confusing everyone to death, and end it with the simple excuse "I'm bored!".

Please, this time, notice the quotes. Your delete key is telling you so. Come on, can I make it more obvious?
By the way, I'm bored! and shift key matches! Cool, huh?
If you start getting good at guessing cheats, my hints will become harder and harder to read, probably being much more fun in the end. And now, I will go. Go hide in a secret cave of darkness. Yeah, that's my sad little life. big_smile

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2012-02-22 05:38:14

lol man, random much? hehe

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2012-02-22 08:52:43

hi dragon.
thank you for this wonderful gift in the new update of this great game, I especially love.
let me say that you are actually a dragon's pretty comical / funny, it makes me laugh
with your good humor.
and after waiting some time for this update, I can only play and test now!
again, thanks friend.
regards

2012-02-22 10:18:44

Dude, I really enjoy your humor! smile Really awesome update!

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-02-22 10:29:00

Hey bud its rob. I got a few game stibillity issues as well as a major bug to report to you.
I have noticed that when you press the d key and release it, there is about a 1 second delay before your able to press the d key again to re duck. Also, the raidarr is verry, well, it really don't work even when its on, and it takes me about 1 min to actualy be able to locate and find an object.
Also, once you hit level 3, you here nothing and the cutseen don't play, but you can move and people are still shooting at you. You can't here footstepps, ambiance or anything, you can just here a few things, like your grunt noise, the peoples dieing noises and items. Other than that, the rest of the sounds don't play on level 3 and on.
If you want to know my comp specs, here they are.
I am running a dell laptop with windows 7 with a 1 tb harddrive, 8 gigs of ram, an intell core i7 processer and an intell dedicated grafics card.
Maibey i am missing a component or something? no i cant be i had to download all core gaming components before i could play anything, but who knows...
rob.
P.S
If you want i can talk to you privately on skype and send you an example of the buggs i am experiencing?
Rob.

I no longer use skype like I used to, so feel free to follow me on twitter at rockmasterrob for updates, to chat and all that good stuff. I follow any and everybody back who follows me.

2012-02-22 12:59:52

hi all.
I must first say that I really liked the new sounds of machine gun, and the new gun silencer.
yes the game is lighter, but with many bugs.
yes I also detected the same mistakes that the friend said.
3 and still more detected.
Grenades to be launched after some of them do not hear the sound of the explosion and not kill the enemy. wend launched a granade, you hear the sound of identifying wend find a granade in the game.
I passed the first level, the game returned to the main window of the game menus.
sometimes to select the weapons you do not hear what was selected.
This also happened in imformacion  for ammunition.
There is also no imformacion  of objects that catch the game.
this version I had many difficulties to play, thinking the game was very unstable.
were other situations, which I do not know how to describe very well, some of them do not understand.
All this happened without cheats, and cheats.
I played and detected these errors, with the game's sound effects enabled.
do not know if this has to do with a  errors.
I would love to explain what happened in the game, but I ask a lot of excuses for not writing well to give permenores errors.
Perhaps there is someone who does, describing the errors in their permenores.
dragon sorry for not helping as I want.
regards

2012-02-22 13:40:27

Hi...

Sorry. sad I knew releasing this was a bad idea.
The thing is I don't have any single one of those issues. I can play the level all the way through, and none of my testers ever said anything. sad
Maybe something's wrong with the upload... I don't know. sad
*sigh* I'll try to get this sorted.
Again, I'm really sorry. sad

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2012-02-22 14:19:53

Hi.
When I die at level 3, my machine gun was lost. Is it bug?
But I don't experience any other bugs now.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2012-02-22 15:16:56

I'm downloading it right now and I'll see what's going on and stuffages.

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2012-02-22 18:03:20

Hi Yukio,

I fixed that bug in a newer version. I did some changes from the last beta you had.

So, since it works fine for him, and I didn't change anything that should make it break that hard, it must be something up with the file. I just tried reuploading the ZIP, so try redownloading. Not sure if this helps. Again, sorry. sad

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2012-02-22 20:05:29

Sorry for double posting, but I'm confused.

So either your sound systems have something against DirectX, or I just don't know.

I had quite a few testers. One of them completed the game, without any errors. Others, like Yukio, got it about a day or 2 before the actual release, but even then they didn't tell me anything.

In order to troubleshoot this I need to know exactly what you're doing, since I myself cannot reproduce this in any way, nor can my testers. Heck, even just now I asked around for people to grab the game and play it. And as far as I know, they didn't tell me anything, even upon questioning. And for me, it works great too.

So I need to know:
1. What operating system are you running?
2. What sound card do you have and use while playing?
3. What are your game settings?
4. What exactly is the error? Any possible error messages, as well as a complete guide on how to reproduce it.
5. Do you even unzip the game before playing? big_smile

Sigh. Why can't life just be easy? I hoped I could throw this out, and possibly get to work on something different. But as it stands, I'll have countless of sleepless nights again. :'(

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2012-02-22 20:34:07

The first 10% of your time goes into making the game work for 90% of the players, the other 90% of your time goes into making it work for the last 10% of the players.  This is why bugs suck so much!
I wish you luck in fixing it Mr. Ghorthalon.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2012-02-22 20:44:24

Hi Aprone,

Well said there. And truly, this is really how it feels like. tongue
It took me a while to fully port the game to the new engine. It worked fine for everyone except Rob and Mario thus far.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2012-02-23 00:32:58

As far as I know, I havn't found any buggs in the game, but I havn't played to the third level yet so I'm not possitive yet I'm still testing it tho.

2012-02-23 00:36:03

hey all,

I quote one of my testers, this was sent to me just a few minutes ago: "It worked just fine here, got through the whole thing and it was splended! lol". From this, I'll just assume either 1. your download failed, or 2. Something with your directX is not properly working. Reinstall DirectX8 I think it is. tongue

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2012-02-23 11:59:12

I can't run the game...
Maybe I should downloade it again... smile It sounds very interesting!

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2012-02-23 14:11:57

how do I activate my fists?

2012-02-23 15:16:06

Hi Alex,

The game takes a while when starting. This is due to irrKlang. It takes a little while to initialise.

@Fatih: Press 2 to select your fists.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2012-02-23 15:17:48

press 2 to activate your fists. and to the other poster, what did it say when you tryed to run the game but couldn't?

2012-02-23 16:26:45

Well, the game is working fine for me. In fact, i think it runs smoother then previous versions. Not sure is this has anything to do with code changes but, i like it a lot. Just make sure your running the game as admin if you are running vista. Otherwise, you will get some strange slow downs.

2012-02-23 16:36:18

it's mostly due to earklang, the new audio gaming engen that Kevin is using I do some autoit, and I would love to try and get my hands on that engen so I can play around with it and stuffages. Lol.

2012-02-23 17:07:02

Hi,

@Arq: The game does run a lot smoother. I did a lot of optimising, I changed stuff around, and it should use a lot! less resources.
@Jonny: Actually, it's just an audio system. It interfaces with DirectX, and gives me easy access. A game engine would be irrLicht, which I've been playing around with too. That has stuff like 3D object manipulation, all that good stuff.

I'm glad you like the new version. I need to add a loading screen at the beginning, as irrKlang does tend to take a bit of time to initialise.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2012-02-23 17:49:13

Hi.
just downloading this game of greatness. ahahah cheats or fun. oh and gorth? "this is a line of text, with quotes lol." hahha so many quotes, so little time.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-02-23 18:53:07 (edited by AlexN94 2012-02-23 19:29:34)

It's saying something like
"Dragon APPS, Operation Black Square. Running at 76.9230769230769 FPS."

Ok, it works now... Nice game. smile

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2012-02-23 23:00:45

Hi everyone,

Here's a tip for all of those that have a very fast processor.
Run the game, from the command line, by first navigating to it.
cd path\to\BlackSquare
Once you're in the folder, type
OperationBlackSquare -fps 0

What this will do is run the game as fast as your CPU can handle it. This doesn't mean the game will speed up in terms of events, but it might enhance your playing a little if you have a very good processor.

Also, Arq said if you run it as administrator, it gives a little speed boost too, so try that as well.

--
Talon
Code is poetry.