2006-06-24 07:27:23

Go to usagames.us to get it.

Don't read if you don't want to find out what I think of it before you try.
I hate it!  It's laggy, the controls are not responsive, things jump around the stereo field without waqrning or reason, the jumping system and everything is non-intuative, and it makes me sad to think that James' version was so much better but yet we will never see it come about.

OK I guess it's a little better than that but it's very frustrating to play, especially since it is so easy to die, and sometimes without any reason.

James

2006-06-24 09:33:23

is it really that bad?!
i can't believe anyone would release something that sounds so buggy.
i'll give it a go, but if it really is like that i think i'll cling to the monty demo i still have.
best reg.

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-06-24 09:40:39

hi.
how do i download it?
i went into products, clicked on monty, and then clicked on download demo.
it just took me to a page full os other downloads and software.
how do i get hold of monty alpha.
thx

2006-06-24 15:30:15

archer: you do not go to products, you click the link that says monty alpha 1 or something like that.
as for the game, i really, really love the thing! i am well, hooked! i beat the demo, but i still dont think i visited all the areas of the level.
the jumping system is fine, you just need to get the hang of it. it's not that laggy (actually james what do you mean by laggy?)
and it's not that buggy i don't think.
the ladders are much longer. (in the alchemy they were 5 steps, but this time it takes much more.) also, if you are not at the top of a ladder, do not walk left because you will fall off. this is to make the game more realistic.
i like the way you can jump at different parts of the rope (that's what i discovered, but you can't always do it.)
and the new music/ambients is good.
overall, USA Games did a good job.

2006-06-24 15:36:07

Alpha versions are not intended to be bug free or even represent the final version as far as functionality.  In the alpha stage, a piece of software is far from complete. It is expected to be full of bugs and have functional issues. The testing at this stage uses both white box and black box techniques which refer to the whether the tester has access to the source code among other things. Beta versions typically have resolved the functional issues and the testing focuses mostly on fixing bugs. Beta is usually black box testing. Typically alpha and even beta versions are not released to the general public. The released versions will likely contain some bugs as almost all commercially available software will eventually have some bugs found. Many times this is due to advances in hardware and referential software which has become available since the initial release. In summary, do not base any conclusions about the functionality or quality of a piece of software based on impressions made from the alpha version.

2006-06-24 16:20:26

Hi
I don't think the game is buggy. The demo from Alcomy was a bit buggier. I like the background music.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-06-24 19:05:00

well, i tried monty alpha.
i like the improvement in sounds, and the fact that it now resembles a VIP tomb raider.
the game is more realistic, however i am unhappy that the look ahead function has been taken away.
the level1 so far seems to be the same as Alchamy's version, but i still wouldn't mind having the look ahead back.
i will admit that the controls do seem to be a little lagging in speed, and they seem to have taken away the run feature too.
not bad, could be a little better.

but that's just an oppinion.
the game itself is better for the change of hands.
best reg.

2006-06-24 21:20:36 (edited by Shadowcat 2006-06-24 21:28:39)

hello,
when you instal the program,
can anyone tell me how to use the part where you choose a directory?
it's kind of confusing for me
dd

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2006-06-24 22:59:13

Hello!

Monty alpha! Sounds interesting to me.

However, I'm on a modem connection at the moment, and can't download the file yet.
So, in the meantime, could you describe the game for me a bit more?
For example, what music there are, .
Does it sound like the first trailer on alchemys site or what?

/kristoffer

2006-06-25 00:17:42

Well, just spent a few minutes on Monty Alpha, so I can give you my first impressions. Personally, I do not find the controls to be sluggish, although I do admit a Look Ahead feature and a Run feature would come in handy, though admittedly at the moment I'm glad you can't run. I've walked into too many of those durn skulls and snakes because I missed the warning sound. Oddly enough I haven't experienced the problem with Monty that I had with Final Conflict, where it froze after I told it to execute a move. Well, I'll be trying FC again when I get my Laptop in a few weeks. That has WinXP and hopefully I can then get the newest version of the .net frameworks as well, so perhaps that'll work better. Heck, Monty might benefit from the increased amount of memory as well.
  Sound wise I think the game's even better than Alchemy's version. Though some of you may think me strange for saying it I do think Neospeach Kate does sound rather sexy, particuarly since in Monty she doesn't echo the way she did in FC. In the meantime I'm just figuring out how to use items and walk around. In short I am pleased with the product, particularly since it seems to run with few if any problems on my mom's dinosaur of a computer!

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-06-25 08:17:26

Grrrrrr! It's not fare! why won't net framework install properly!

Oh well, maybe I'll be getting another laptop in October and then I can hopefully try out both monti and Star trek Fc.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-06-25 19:44:27

hi,
can anyone tell me how big the game is?
dd

2006-06-25 21:53:18

hi arron,
how did you beet the demo?
can you give me some stradigeys?
and why do you get hert when there are no enemys around?
dd

2006-06-25 23:48:22

DD, that's the only thing I really don't like about the game, the fact that you can take damage or die with no apparent warning sometimes. I've got a sneaking suspicion that it's actually boulders coming at you and the sound just isn't loud enough to hear, even though the music and other sound effects really are not loud enough to hinder listening for hazzards.
  I also have beaten the demo. Today I managed to do it for the first time without losing a single life, though I did take quite a lot of damage. The fact that there are only two potions in the level that I can find only makes things toughe. When I learn more about the level I'd be glad to post a little walkthrough.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-06-26 01:08:03

Hi.
I almost beat the level but I fell in to a lava pit. For some reason, sometimes, I can't move. I have to jump or I can't move in thatdirection. I think it's a bug. Another bug is if you press the letter "u" to pause the game, you can still move and play the game but the snakes and other advasaries, won't move. It will just stay where it is.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-06-26 03:00:55

Well, I figured out why you sometimes take damage for no apparent reason. The best way to prevent this is to not get bit by the snake or any spiders. They're poisonous. I've tested this several times and it seems to be the problem. Either avoid the snake/spider or use a potion once you get bit. That'll cure the poison.

2006-06-26 05:51:06

Well, you can hopefully soon kiss the unexplained death phenomenon goodbye. I joined the Audyssey list and Thomas is apparently working on a patch that corrects this and other problems even as we speak. So hopefully soon there'll be no more dying during or immediately after jumps.

2006-06-26 18:07:08

Hi,
Can anyone tell me why the installer wants me to download .net framework 1.1 if I have 2.0 installed on my computer. I had to install booth the 1.1 and the 2.0. Nothing was overwritten. Why does the 2.0 installer not update or overwrite the new .net framework files?
Bye,
Lord_Raven

2006-06-26 18:34:00

Hi!
I just downloaded the new Monty and it's really much better than the shit from Alchemy. But there are a few things I don't understand:
1. When I press the spacebar to jump and press the left or right arrow key for at least twice, I die. Why does this happen? But when I press the spacebar to jump and hit the up arrow a few times, I don't fall to the ground again, but when I want to move to the left or right, I die. When I press the down arrow, it sounds like I jump off a rope and fall to the ground again... What is this?
2. When I am on a rope and I hear a gem, how can I get it?
3. What is the best way to avoid monsters?
Robin.

2006-06-26 22:11:38

Robin,
  The thing you're describing where you die mysteriously from jumping is a bug. Fortunately, Thomas Ward is working on an update patch that fixes that bug even as we speak, and presumably the other one you're talking about as well, where you sometimes jump up, don't land and have to press the Down Arrow. I'm pretty sure that's also a bug, and presumably it's being fixed.
  As for getting gems while on a rope, all you really need to do is jump off the rope in the direction of the gem. Try it once, get back on the rope, climb up one more step and try again. All it is is practice.
  As for avoiding monsters, the only way to do this is to jump over them. Timing is going to be your friend, as well as having a healing potion handy for the snakes and spiders. Potions not only heal your injuries but also cure snake and spider poison, otherwise your health will decrease by ten percent every few seconds. The best way is to make sure the monster is close enough to hear and identify but not really loud. Angela seems to have good jumping ability, so jumping and pressing Right once when the monster's relatively close tends to put you out of harm's way. When the patch is available it should correct the Death Jumping bug as well as a good many others. Then perhaps we can start seeing later temples and other game features and things. If you want, you can join the Audyssey Gamers' List at www.audyssey.org. There's a link to let you join a mailing list where you can get help for just about any audio game and discuss future games. Thomas Ward from USA Games posts to that list quite frequently and it's him that told us all about the new patch for Monty. I'm on the list so you'll probably see posts from me. But anyway I hope I've managed to answer your questions. I myself was bothered by the bugs but you have to remember this is the Alpha stage, so bugs there will be. Anyway, hope I've managed to clarify at least some of your questions. I'm hear to help and plan on posting a walkthrough for those that are really stuck.

2006-07-01 17:50:24

ack! it's yet another time limited game it seems, because i can't seem to find it on the website anymore.

2006-07-01 21:26:47

No, it's still there. You just have to click the link right from the news page. You're talking about Monty, right? If so, like I said it's still there.

2006-07-02 06:53:08

well i have a problem because like someone else said i already have .net freamwork 2.0. where can i download 1.1?

2006-07-02 14:39:46

Hello.
You can find .net framework on the usagames website under the download section.
Hope this helps.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-07-02 16:38:54

Game Man,
That is not an answer to the question why the installer wants you to download 1.1 if 2.0 of .net framework is allready installed. I had to install booth versions on my Computer to install Monti.
Bye,
Lord_Raven