2006-06-20 03:15:39

Hi.
I have a problem. When the computer doesn't know what program to use to open a file, there is a message that says that it couldn't open the program right? When I tried opening a file, the message came up but when I chose open from a list of programs, I accidentally pressed enter on the wrong program and now, when I open the files, of course, it does nothing. How do I fix this?
Any help would be appriciated.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-06-20 03:32:19

Go into foldr options in control panel and lok for the extention you want to change the program for on the file types page.  I don't remember exactly how to do it but it should be obvious once you get there.

James

2006-06-20 13:22:39

Alternatively, if you presss the properties key on a file, (bottom right hand corner of my keyboard to the left of the cursers), you'll get a menue of various things you can do with the file such as copy, paste, properties etc, (this is what you'd get if you right clicked with a mouse).

Find the option "Open with" on that menue, press it, select what programme you want, then check the box which says "Set as default" and there you are!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-06-20 22:44:15

Meaning the applications key.

Discord: clemchowder633

2006-06-21 06:58:45

that message was just annoying, not wanting to start an argument but most people will understand it and you don't have to write a whole post about it that is just so short and was useless for me because i knew what he meant. instead the application key you can simulate a right mouse click in jfw only, don't know about other programs by pressing the numpad star key, which is i believe two keys above the bottom right and one key to the left of that, but of course you guys might have a different keyboard.

2006-06-21 07:31:59

I've always called that the properties key, maybe it's because I first used it on a laptop ----- or ust because the person who tol me about it go the name wrong, whatever, who cares!

a key buy any other name would be just as useful.

For the record, if your using Hal you can simulate a right mouse click by pressing Q in virtual focus mode, but personally when mucking about in something like Windows explorer I prefer to use the properties key (or application key if you prefer).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-06-21 21:53:01

Hi.
Thanks for all your help. I have another questtion. The IF Games that you can download at:
http://whitestick.co.uk/text.html
work on the Win Frotz Interpreter I think but when I tried to open it wwith Win Frotz, it says that it isn't the right code. Can you guys help please?
Thanks.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-06-22 00:39:11

Ah game man, the wonderful worl of Interactive fiction interpretters!

win Frotz is an interprettr which will play If games written in Z code format, the most common format for interactive fiction, you can tell them because the file format extentions will say things like "Z5" or "Z8" (the most common).

the games on that page though, ar written in Tads format, another popular format for writing, they have extentions like Tds. Not surprisingly, you'll needs to download the Win-tads interpreter to play them.

One of my favourite sites for Interactive fiction, which has lots of games as well as good instructions about interpretters and such is this one:

http://www.microheaven.com/IFGuide/IFGu … =6&c=0

They also have lots of games in Z code and Tads format, I personally enjoyed Dreamhold and Pytho's mask.

2006-06-23 02:39:26

Hi
Thanks for your help again.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-06-23 09:27:06

No problem, I Had to make similar enquiries when I started playing If games.

2006-06-23 16:51:40

wow dark empathy i didn't know you are an if gamer. I just love them, they're quite cool.
Sometimes i can enjoy them more than a simple audio game.
one of my favourite is arthur, the quest of excalibur, it is so awesome.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-06-23 18:27:29

Actually robjoy, I discovered If almost two years ago and playd many exelant adventures. But I haven't played any for quite a while though, The only real reason is sinse all my interactive fiction is on my old Laptop, I just haven't gotten around to transfering it onto this Pc, or re-installing the interpretters. I really probaby should though, when I think of all those great games, Waring the Claw, Lash, Worlds appart (damn! that was good), and so on.

As reguards my gaming experience, I've tried most things in my time, main stream games, tabletop Rpg's with dice, online link based games or gamebooks, and interactive fiction. The only odd thing is that Audio games are the most recent game catagory I've tried.

The only type of gaming i know nothing whatsoever about are muds, but you can guarantee that when I move out of university I'll give those a try too.