2012-01-23 18:17:25

I was messing around with a BGT IDE.  The program, affectionately named Blast Buddy, is meant to work a lot like notepad but have features that will help BGT developers code.  I still have plenty of things I could add, but it's working well enough that I figured I'd toss this here to get some early feed back.  The readme file explains its features, but since 90% of people won't read it I will paste it here right after the download link.

www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/Blastbuddy.zip

Added in version 0.2:  Undo and Redo features using ctrl+Z and ctrl+Y.  There is a maximum of 10 "undos" so please let me know if you'd like it allow for more.  I've done some testing but I would like to hear from anyone who spots any bugs with it.

Blast Buddy
-----------
by Aprone, developed with Philip Bennefall's BGT in mind.

The program should operate very similar to windows notepad with only a few changes meant to help developers.  For starters, when you leave a line, Blast buddy will check it for some common errors.  At the moment it only checks for 2 types, forgetting quotes or forgetting the semi colon at the end of a line that needs it.  In either case, the program will beep and speak the estimated error to help you catch it before moving on.

Think of your program as existing on a set of tiers or levels.  On the bottom most tier zero, you have your include statements and functions.  Your functions become tier 1 and the lines of code within them are on this tier.  If you have a block IF or loop inside of your function, this would become tier 2 along with the code inside of it.  Nested statements can continue branching out into higher and higher tiers.  One of the most difficult things about programming can be keeping track of these tiers and knowing when they end.

Blast buddy has a way to use these tiers to simplify things.  Use Alt + Page up and page down to filter your code based on tiers.  When set to "all", every line of your code appears.  When set to tier zero, the normal up and down arrows would only be seeing your lowest tier code such as include statements and functions.  Moving up to tier 1 would expand that a bit more.  This can be a quick way to overview what you're working on, without needing to scroll through 40 lines of code nested within an IF block.  Sometimes all you need to read is the line saying "If (age == 18)" and you already know this is now the place you wish to add more code.  I can't say for sure, but I hope this ability to condense or expand the view will help developers with speed and also with viewing their project in a more managable way.

Another interesting filter method is the comments setting.  Alt + Page down will lead you to this setting right below "all".  When in this mode, the only lines that will show up are the ones where you have written comments.  If you are someone who comments sections, dropping down to this view could be the absolute fastest way to shrink your code down into an easy to understand format.  Once you find the spot you're looking for, simply expand your view and continue working as normal.

This was thrown together pretty quickly so there are some things that probably won't work quite right, and a few things I still mean to add.  You can't highlight multiple lines for the purpose of copying and pasting.  Line numbers aren't displayed anywhere.  You can't use a find or replace feature.  And finally, soft background tones of different pitch will eventually play as you move up or down in tiers.  This will hopefully make it much easier to visualize where you currently are in the code.

I intend to add support for more types of checks.  It would be nice for Blast buddy to check for case and spelling errors in the BGT key words.  It would also be neat for Blast buddy to track the variables names you use, to catch you if you spell one incorrectly later on during your coding.  I'm not sure what all will be done with this, but it is fun to brainstorm.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2012-01-24 03:19:36

hi.
i haven't downloaded this because i don't think i will b eprograming in bgt or anythign for that matter. i might download it i'm not sure.
but a serjestion. how about ( and ) i think there called open bracits and closed brakets or something like that. would that help also. i'm not sure.
hope all goes well with the program.

I'm gone for real :)

2012-01-24 03:52:00

Wow aprone, you are the man. This really gives me a lot of motivation to begin programming my game. I hope to see more checks added soon, as the is particularly helpful for me. Thanks for this.

2012-01-24 08:51:43

Yeah, Aprone, just contenue, this will help a lot.
Thx!

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2012-01-24 14:55:45

The current version already does braces and brackets checking.

2012-01-25 00:52:54

Aprone, I take my hat off to you. Or I would if I was wearing a hat.

Now, how about making one of these for say, C++? Much better and more useful than existing IDE's I've run into.
Or for any other language, really. C++ just happens to be the one that makes me the most irritated at life.
tongue

Back on topic, how about a control to navigate by functions?

Shadow

2012-01-25 01:00:05

Thanks Shadow.  Well for now my main goal is just to help the growing population of BGT programmers.  Since Philip's contest is rapidly approaching, it seemed like a good idea to toss something together that might help the participants code quicker.  The contest is, after all, on a time limit.  Actually the current program should catch the exact same errors in regular C++ or C# unless I'm thinking of it wrong.  I haven't yet put in any BGT specific key words to check for.

Could you explain more about the control to navigate by functions idea?  My first thought would be to use alt + page up to select Tier zero.  This would still show your include statements, but besides that it should pretty much only be showing you the functions.  Once you jump to the one you want, Alt + page down switches you back to viewing all of the code, or you could move up more tiers to view more but still keep the higher nested blocks and loops collapsed.  If you have another idea, I'd be happy to hear it!  smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2012-01-25 01:44:25

Aprone, when I start the program, I get the following message,

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2012-01-25 02:19:52

Lol, actually that's what's supposed to happen.  No error message is kinda the goal of every programmer, hehe.
In all seriousness though, I think you forgot to paste the error message.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2012-01-25 03:06:35 (edited by brad 2012-01-25 03:07:55)

hi aprone,
i just messed with this program. (forgetting how to rite a simple hello world script is erm inbarising ), anyway i didn't mannage it. enough about my really pore programing. i was thinking of a featcher that might be nice for people who use jaws or n.v.d.a. wouldn't it be nice if in sted of sapi they could use there screen reader?
just saying that, that would be good.
what do you think?
oh yeah aprone? wow you are great making all this stuff, games, programs, what next? are we going to see aprone the musical? smile smile.

2012-01-25 03:49:29

I may add support for the other screen readers.  It seems like that wouldn't be important since the program barely "says" anything, but I guess if people have line numbers enabled then they do have to listen to sapi, Haha!  I forget how much some people hate sapi.  smile

I am pretty confident that there won't be an Aprone musical.  I have pretty much no musical talent!  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2012-01-25 04:56:43

What contest?

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-01-25 05:02:09

Sorry for double posting, but LOL! Aprone the musical? What will it be like:
Building up my towers, fighting off the nasties. I make a thousand gamebooks, because I type so fasty. I kill a thousand zombies, I do it really quick. I'm also just a castaway, so I build my house with sticks. La la la la la la.
LOL!

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-01-25 07:09:02

hi. lol. funny. smile smile.

2012-01-25 10:30:13

big_smile  Excellent song!

While I'm thinking of it, if any people are using Blast Buddy and notice that a line is flagged as having an error even though the line is actually fine, please let me know.  It would help to have the line before the one it flags, the one it flags, and the line after it as well.  This will help me reduce the number of false errors.  Since I don't program in BGT myself, I'm not yet aware of exactly how all of the language's syntax is laid out.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2012-01-25 15:44:41

Syntactically, it's almost identical to C. Almost.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2012-01-25 23:49:07

Yeah, it is. As learning C++ and afew lines of  Java, it seems like the code in BGT is a mixture of the 2.

2012-01-28 15:10:11

Hey Yo!
I really like the idea and I will check it out now.
big_smile
Hopefully it helps me in learning the language!

Thanks a lot!

You are doing very well in making accessible games and software! big_smile

Feel free to check my blog at
http://www.patrickdembinski.org
Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2012-01-28 17:31:53

I just posted the 0.6 update which finally has those tone sounds for the tiers.  Hearing the tones is listed as a separate option than having the tiers spoken aloud, so people can still pick which one they like best, or both at the same time I suppose.  I actually just noticed that NVDA doesn't like Blast Buddy on my computer.  I get a lot of garbage messages and I wondered if anyone else was experiencing that.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2012-01-29 07:05:58

Hi.
how aabout having a feacher wich alows you to run the bgt script from inside the program? ioh you can still save and all that, i was just thinking it would be neat to have a feature like that.

2012-01-29 22:57:52

I'm wondering if the NVDA issue is what I'm experiencing.

2012-01-30 12:42:09

Hmmmm....I noticed when I ran Blast Buddy with NVDA it acted weird here as well. Not sure what is up with that, but NVDA and Blast Buddy don't like each other.

I have a feature suggestion. I noticed when writing a new line of code Blast Buddy doesn't automatically indent the line like Microsoft Visual Studio IDEs do. I wondered if you might add a feature for automatic tab indention so that the BGT code is nicely formatted without requiring the aspiring developer from having to manually indent his/her code.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-01-30 12:42:41

hi

aprone, you rock man, nice job.
i'll test it right now. i was planning on to experience with bgt yesterday but phonecalls ran in.

again nice job.

ciao

mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2012-01-30 12:59:10

hi.
i am using NVDA with eliquence and it seams to work fine.
hmm maybeit is because i am using an older vertion of NVDA.

2012-02-18 14:40:58

Hi! I have been away, or rather, my computer has been messing around for quite a while so I notised this first yesterday.
I tried to run it with NVDA (is this just NVDA?) and I can't navigate in tears (am I spelling it right?). The only thing I can navigate between are comments and all, what is wrong? Anyway, I like your tool, or creativity, or both! It is a tool with much creativity put into it. For example, it is really innovative to have a save feature, lol!

Audiogames has entered a new era. With blockbusters such as bk2, swamp, perilous hearts and the soon-to-come road to rage, audiogames takes a new shape. High quality sounds, multiplayer and very sufficiant AI is audiogames next step towards attention. The world is about to change so cheer with me, hurray!