2012-01-23 02:32:17

Well, I just got released from the hospital and my girlfriend who loves the gym insisted she was going to get me an exercise ball.
She says she will work with me on it. What is an exercise ball?
How can one use it?

2012-01-23 09:16:22

You can exercise on it. I watched on television, but I  don't know how to use it.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2012-01-23 10:30:18

I've heard of a medicine ball, which is like a large heavy padded leather ball which you use for weight lifting and balancing, but this might be something different to that.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-02-04 13:58:01 (edited by sid512 2012-02-04 13:58:37)

hi
i dont know about it either, but i've seen a ball, with pointed tips growing out of it from every part, and you have to just rotate it around your hands, its related to something called accupressure...

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2012-02-04 14:02:51

An excersixe ball is a very big rubber ball. It is hollow on the inside and you sit on top of it and bounce on it. You don't really have to bounce on it, you can do whatever you want with it. It is used for excersising. You will need to fill it with air when it deflates though. You can do that with an air pump.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2012-02-04 14:06:22

ah!

that means you can use it as a punching bag? sounds awesome!

and you can also pump out and in with your hands, legs, or in whatever way you want to.

sounds really awesome, good kind of exercise! you know.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2012-02-04 14:43:05

I guess so. There are actually some videos on how to use them, but they are very graphic and visual.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2012-02-04 20:32:43

Ah, one of those! those are actually quite cool, indeed they are sold as seats by some people because balancing on a large ball rather than sitting in a chair requires more of your muscles and posture and so improves your overall fitness even when sitting and watching films or using the compter.

There are of course exercizes you can do with them too.

Sid, acupressure is not specifically related to exercize. It's based on a lot of ideas about recepters in the skin and how having certain points against the skin is good for nerve endings.

My mum has used it in her work as a Physiotherapist before, when she needs to give people exercizes related to skin and nerve ending trouble, or when people have a lot of pain in one part of the body and the accupressure is used to releave it by stimulating nerves somewhere else.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-02-07 19:32:20

hi dark

well said, though i am  having cirvical spondolitis since  2 years
and i have to undergo all kind of physiotherapy  in which they start from  heating pads to vibrating tensers, those square pieces that are fitted around both sides of the neck and vibrates in a nearly interesting fassion, first they create something like a sucktion pull, and then they widen themselves, followed by the repeating series of expansion and contraction.
and then they are some device called ultrasonic or ultrasound though i'm not sure, where they move a small, ball like device around the neck, its generally hot and is accompanied by some fluids around to keep its movement smoother.
then i have to undergo laser treatment, where a litle machine exerts some kind of laser pressure from quite a distance.

then after some time later, i went to another place where there is a kind of machine, it presses both the hands in order to do the function of accupressure, etc.

and so long i've tried nearly all kinds of treatment, its quite better now, but not fully recovered.

and it causes things like dizzyness and exhaustion after every 2 or three weeks, and sometimes , say once or twice in a year, it also causes fainting,
though it doesnt lasts longer then a dozen of seconds.