2006-06-12 03:02:28

Greetings all.

two years ago I played a rather nice, real time online economic space stratogy gae. All the other players there were a nice bunch, and the game itself was quite interesting, unfortunately te game went down a while ago ------ but now it's back!

One of the bes things Imho about this game is that everything happens in real time ---- so you can't just immediately fly from earth to mars ---- it's going to take you three hours, three! real! hours! and until you can make enough cash to upgrade your sip, the journeys are long waits.

As an alternative to the fast action of Sryth, it's great!

Come along and try it, as I said, everyone's pretty frendly.

http://portal.ashesofangels.com/

Btw, my logue in over there is just Dark.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-06-12 13:43:07

hi dark,
hey looked at the site, sounds great.
i wouldn't mind being a smuggler, or maybe a trader.
i tried to register though but couldn't find any edit boxes to type in my information.
do you have to pay to play? or is it free.
and how do you register yourself?
p.s, what are you, a looter? smuggler? bounty hunter?
bwest regards
arch.

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-06-12 14:27:54 (edited by dark empathy 2006-06-12 14:49:26)

You can register for the game here:

http://pr.ashesofangels.com/register.php

the game is %100 free ---- though if you like it you can donate money to them I believe.

As reguards what I am, one of the nice things about Aoa is that what you do really is up to you.

you can be a pirate sometimes, and ligitimate trader the rest.

As to me, entering combat with the ship you get at the start of the game would be suicide, so I'm undertaking some haulage missions, and scouting the trade routes until I can get enough dosh to upgrade my ship ---- then we'll see.

I should probably also mention that the trading is fairly realistic to, looking at the best place to sell a product and where you can make  a prophet is a fairly large part of the game, but it's not too difficult provided your careful about looking up all the information before you make a trip in your ship.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-06-12 16:52:17

hi,
thx for the intel, i'll go register right now.
well, i wouldn't mind being a bounty hunter, but it sounds pretty advanced.
i think i'll do 70% trading, and 30% smuggling.
that way i can make some honest money, and a little dirty money too.
see ya.

2006-06-12 18:20:02

hi,
is there anything important in the first e-mail, i haven't received it yet and i am anxious to start the game.
p.s my log on name is zander.
best reg

2006-06-12 19:08:50

I can't remember if aoa sends you an ctivation code or not (I've tried several online games i the last few days). You can have the game mail you when certain things happen if you want, but I can't remember if you get a welcome E-mail or not, try loguing in and see what happens.

Either way, reading the Faq for the game is probably a good plan, so even if you've got a wait you can employ your time prophitabley.

2006-06-12 21:49:29

You n3eed to visit a certain web address provided in an email to confirm the email is genuine. Stops people making fake accounts with invalid email addresses, then sending themself the starting money or something like that.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-06-12 23:08:16

ah cx2, I didn't know you played Aoa as well?

I've been trying out quite a few online games in the past few days, just to check what's out there, and there were a couple that didn't have E-mail activation, as to cheating by sending yourself the starting cash, in Aoa you only start with 1500 creddits, and these days I'm expecting to make betwene 3000 and 10000 creddits per trip, so it's not exactly giving yourself a huge advantage.

2006-06-13 09:08:42

I just started after reading this thread.

And check the announcements, someone just got banned for making a dozen or so accounts to do that very thing. If nothing else it would mean you can trade all the most expensive stuff from the beginning.

A little annoying though, as of 7am on 13th Mars, Earth and Venus are all sold out of polychromatic silica something that's normally seems to flood the place if my recent observations are accurate. Ah well.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-06-13 10:56:00

hmmm, that seems like more work than it would actually be just to make the money Imho.

As reguards planets selling out of stuff, I asked about this on the message board the other day. Every hour, the planet's stoc is replenished, as is their need for more stock (I had to wait an hour yesterday to sell a load of narcotics to Pluto).

The person on the forum said that this restocking is also cumulative, so if a planet has 10 units of something to sell, and ony sells five that hour, the next hour they'll have 15.

2006-06-13 13:07:54

I gathered that much thanks, and also people apparently wait for the tick then buy or sell as fast as they can to beat other people to the chance. Rather unfortunate, but there you go. I'm experimenting with different cargos at the minute anyway.

And I agree that it is rather pointless making fake accounts, but some people just don't have the patience.

cx2
-----

2006-06-13 23:04:44

I can personally verify that people are rushing to buy and sell at the tick. One tick Earth needed alcohol (can't remember the amount) and 99 luxury goods, next tick it should have gone up but when I hit the market both were at 0. This is driving me up the wall, especially since I've no chance of beating people to it.

cx2
-----

2006-06-17 14:33:15

Yeah, that's why I usually try and go for bounty hunter, though I almost got screwed by those god damn galactic ships!

It's nice that I get to upgrade my weapons soon...

Or rather ship.

2006-06-20 13:18:04

I wouldn't mind trying bounty hunting at some point, but I'm stil trying to make enough cash to get an uba ship.

the tick business doesn't bother me so much, sinse I make the majority of my cash from smugling missions (or ordinary missions if I can't smuggle). I always make certain to take tradable goods with me to wherever the mission goes, but sinse I get paid for acting out the contract, if I've got to wait a bit to sell my load it doesn't matter too much.

One thing I really like about aoa is that you can send your ship off on a mission just before you go to bed, and wake up the next morning with more cash!

2006-06-20 19:33:24

Yeah, nothing like scheduling a nice juicy mission before going to sleep.

I'd imagine bounty hunting would be rather too risky for me though. I'm guessing anyone worth hunting would have a class 20 hull and 20mw beam laser, meaning it's a toss up who gets more damaged... then you have to keep in range for two or three ticks somehow, easy if you're on the same engine type I guess but not so much if you aren't.

cx2
-----

2006-06-21 07:36:58

One thing i do wish they'd impliment in the game, is the ability to practice some combat on some harmless objects ----- maybe asteroids, so you can get used to staying in range and such.

I think if you try the assassination missions, you get targits who don't have quite as strong ships, but i'm stil not risking it until I've got a majorly good vessel.

2006-06-26 05:50:17

Yan.

I've got a good ship.  I take 4 missions and 20 cargo to a plannet usually.  My rank has probably fallen sense I haven't been on in a fiew days.

-Malloc