2006-06-07 17:51:34

hello all you people who use irc, or freedom chjat, or deepspace or any irc server,
me, arjan and a few others are thinking of making a very cool game.
it's gonna be a hard job though.
it'll be called galaxy space: never ending wars, and it's the ultimate space rpg-type game.
however, there will not be many planets.
the game focuses on flying around and destroying other ships and things.
it will have computer-generated space battles, (you attack computer-generated space ships, honestly) and multiplayer space battles, bombs that tick and explode, weapons, a few planets with monsters, and much, much... more!
if you would either like to help code, or give suggestions, joint he #games channel on freedom chat if you see it. i will probably be in there, (tigger) and dog (arjan) and perhaps prongs as well (who gave some very very good suggestions!)
you can get on freedom chat with irc.freedomchat.org port 6667.
i know how bad the admins are, but you can avoid them just type join #games and do not go into a channel with an admin and your experience will be much better.
woofserv is the bot that dog has with a  lot of battle games that you can all play!
back to gsnw: it's in the planning stages (i assume the planning stage is when you are thinking about features and such?). the #scriptsoft chanel will be open for scriptsoft members (a dream i have had for a long time will hopefully come true - to make a scripting company) and will be invite only, and then, after a few scriptsfot tests when the game has been coded enough,
it will go into public beta.
this is going to be one of the best irc games to ever hit the irc world.
best regards,
aaron.

2006-06-07 18:02:04

yes, true, it's going to be pretty awesome, but a pretty hard job all the same. if we really want to, sounds can be added, though i doubt we will do it or at least in a late release.

2006-06-07 21:15:29

And The Bad Thing With Sounds Is... It'll Be Like 2 Times As Longer To Code The Game.

2006-06-08 04:45:10

wouldn't it be ppossible to write a universal function to play sounds? I mean in conventional programming you might have the statement:
Playsound(13)
And then it looks up the sound listed under number 13 in storage somewhere, retrieves and triggers that sound. Then you just have to maintain the sound list along with a record of which sound is which number. I don't know enough about IRC scripts to know if this is possible in this context, but if I was programming something I'd certainly use this method as much as possible.

Hope this helps some

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-06-08 07:43:37

we tried playsound with another script, but as far as i know people still must have the sounds to hear them. i sent aaron the sounds, for example, and he couldn't even hear it even though he had the script etc. he could however hear it on his own bot, but not on mine.

2006-06-08 15:25:39

Well guys, i am glad you are up to scripting again.
Just one thing: Please do not clone, do not, swmud.
And the possible solution for sound stuff. As far as i know, you are able to send different rav commands to the server, and the server will send it to all clients, just like a chat message.
Then, you can assign this rav command with an action to do, for instance playing a sound called 13.
Of course, in this way, all the ppl who would like to play, must have the sounds, but this is the same for all of the online audiogames.
I think for rav commands, you should ask an experienced irc user, or somebody who knows more than me.
Hope this helps a bit.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-06-08 17:03:18 (edited by aaron 2006-06-08 17:10:52)

/ctcp <channame> sound. that's it. everyone in the chan will hear them (but of course,they must have the sounds)!
if the game is ever released, i will ask richod  if he could upload a sound pack that i may have made. (i say may! i might not do it right away!)
also, how should i send it? i mean, yousendit has totally changed!
edit: some sounds will use /splay (so taht people will not always hear the "space station" music (when you are looking at your ships) or the loggin sound and a few other sounds.
and also people may find it annoying, hearing those sounds all the time when in the channel when playing, so i think /splay may be the only way.
oh! i know how it could work, actually.
again, guys, the /ctcp sound command. (im just saying all this for your reading pleasure). /ctcp (nickname) sound <soundname> would play the sound to that nickname.
oh: and for you guys interested in learning mirc scripting: try to find us on freedom chat (you can either download the freedom chat client or go to irc.freedomchat.org with your irc client (mirc, bofhnet, etc.))
You will probably find us in #games. (once again: dog is arjan, tigger is me... and maybe a few others may be there)
also in the #games you will find our "bots" that you can play other games on, (dog has the most coolest out of me and his) and i cannot even make battle systems any more for irc games it's been so long so i tink i will give that job to dog! i may make a few text events and such, and the sounds... deffenatly... i'd love to make the sounds work!
sorry for the extremely long post!!!

2006-06-25 17:59:51

no worries, this game has nothing to do with star wars. well, perhaps something that is in star wars such as a spaceship but multiple games have that... but not for example a lightsaber, doing that is rather boring and it is also copyrighted.
i will probably test certain things with a few other games that have nothing to do with gsnw, but i'll do it because i want to test it and see if it works... ya know.

2006-10-20 22:46:49

what do you guys think of this:
we stop the mirc game development, and instead we make an audio version instead, first version offline then perhaps in a future version online.

2006-10-21 00:07:54

Well, sinse I've never got into the hole Irc business ---- and don't really know what it's all about, a new audio game would be good. On the other hand, if the hole Irc thing also involves games such as this one, it would probably be in my interest to learn.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-10-21 07:10:34

that would be nice. actually i didn't know that aaron you never told it to me but it is a nice idea, though we can't start developing it yet. hopefully when audio game maker is out, perhaps just the first beta, we would be able to create something.

2006-10-21 14:00:56

yep, that'd be good.