2006-06-06 19:01:48

Well I was playing You Don't Know Jack Volume III last weekend and I got to thinking how much fun it might be to have a similar style audio game. For those that don't know, YDKJ is a trivia game that plays like a TV game show. Each time you get a question right you get a certain, random amount of money, and you lose the same amount when you're wrong. You choose between games of seven or twenty-one questions. For each question you pick from one of three randomly selected categories and then you get a question that pertains to that category in some way or another, though sometimes they're not always obvious. Within these categories you also have a bunch of different types of questions. There's the basic multiple choice where you choose the answer you think is right, the Three-way where you get the main category and the three possible answers. Then the questions and the three possible answers flash on the screen one by one and you buzz in when the one you want appears. Then there's the Dis or Dat question where you get seven names and two categories. You tell the host whether each name falls into one category, the other or both. The Gibberish Question is where you get a phrase of gibberish that rhymes with a real phrase and you have to figure out what the actual phrase is and type it in. The real fun of those games begins when you have more than one player. Then, you have the ability to Screw your opponent. Before the game begins, each player gets one screw, which he can use at any time during a given round. If he does, he can choose whether to screw either one of his two opponents if he's playing with two humans. Obviously if it's just a two-player game then he just screws his opponent. The "screwed" player is then forced to attempt to answer the question. If he gets it wrong, the other player gets the amount of money that the question was worth, exactly as he would if he'd answered the question himself. On the other hand, if the "screwed" gets the question right, the screwer loses the money and the host makes a smart remark to that effect.
  The ideal host of such a game would be smart, sarcastic and generally hilarious, not unlike Bow Linball from Ten Pin Alley, who would leave you with no illusions at all as to how he views your performance. While the mainstream You Don't Know Jack games are already almost totally accessible, certain parts of them are not, such as the Three-way and Jack Attack questions. I just think it'd be fun to have our own style of You Don't Know Jack game. You could call it Brainbuster or something like that.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-06-06 21:36:34

Hmm, seems interesting for me.
By the way, can you somehow export those questions, to make the adaptation a bit easier?
And, what about the music, sounds, etc? Is it like a cartoon-style game, or is it like a really seriousgame, like who wants to be a millionaire?
Can you play against computer opponents, or just on-line? Could be solved with winsock in the blind adaptation.
These are the questions which interests me at thismoment.
Thanks,
R.J.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-06-07 13:57:52 (edited by dark empathy 2006-06-07 14:01:23)

i don't know jack about this game, but stil, it sounds fun.

It does occur to me that if you mixed Sapi tts output and propper sound files, you could have loads of questions (I don't know if this is what Freedome Millionaire has done, but I'd guess it is), though of course you'd have to have the sarcky host's comments as actual speech (Sapi just doesn't have the presence to be sarcastic).

Btw, I'd love to see more board games from Jim Kitchen ala Game of life. there are so many good ones that aren't accessible, the game pyramid game, where you had to be the first to get your phairo's sarcophagus to the valley of the kings and build a pyramid, avoiding enemies, and buying and selling slaves on the way.

Then there's rat race, which is sort of a bit like monopoly in that you have money, but the object of the game is to become an upper class snob. You own a firm, and can sell iether lower class, middle class or upper class goods to the other players.

then of course, there's the wonderful thing that is atmosphere, but goodness knows how you'd go about converting that into audio (It'd be possible, but extremely difficult!).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-06-07 15:58:32

NO Robjoy, you probably can't export the questions from the You Don't Know Jack games. As for the music and sound effects, it would probably be a cartoon style thing since it's not a millionaire clone. I'm considering doing a podcast on www.blindcooltech.com about the Jack games. I just sent one in regarding Super Liam (although it hasn't been posted). I may do the same for You Don't Know Jack.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-06-07 16:25:57

ah yes, good ol YDKJ.  I've got a bunch of those games lying around somewhere at my parents' house.  Maybe I'll have to find them and put all my favorite ones on my computer again.  Although, that'll make me want to start immitating cookie again.  LOL

My favorite ones are YDKJ volume 3, YDKJ sports and YDKJ offline.  I remember playing volume 3 alot before Christmas one year, and that year I got the YDKJ jumbo pack, which came with volumes 1 2 and 3, YDKJ the ride, and YDKJ offline.

As far as I know, Freedom millionaire doesn't use sapi, it uses your existing screen reader which I like.  I also like how the questions are done with standard dialogs, so a sighted person can play with their stupid mouse too.  I've had fun testing my Disney knowledge on that game with a friend every once in a while.

" Player you really didn't do too bad.  Now get the *** away from the computer and go make some friends, cuz,"
*boom*
"you don't know jack!"

2006-06-07 17:31:13

is the game downloadable?

2006-06-07 21:25:45

Obviously Brian, some people know and love this game, and others (like myself), don't,, so a pod cast about it would be good.

I certainly prefer Auphius (my synthesisor), to Sapi, in fact I'm looking at getting hold of some run time files that will let me use auphius for all Sapi Tts aplications (though obviously I wouldn't be using Hal).

I should probably try milionaire out ---- considdering it's free.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-06-08 13:40:49

No, the YDKJ games aren't downloadable. You get them on CD. You can probably still find them at any computer software store.

2006-06-09 03:30:38

yep, the you don't know jack games are only on CD.  Come to think of it, I've never seena mainstream PC game like that that is downloadable and unlocked with a registration key the way alot of audio games are.

I just wish there was a you don't know jack junior or something like that, or a way to make it G or PG rated.  The games are fun as heck, but sometimes the questions and some of the other stuff (more on that later), get R rated.

Some of the dis or dat questions have 3 choices.  Like I ran into one where the host read off 7 facts and you had to decide whether they applied to Lincoln, Kenedy, or both.  Also at the beginning of the game, you are kind of behind the scenes of the show a minute before they go on the air and that's when you fill in all your info, like how many people are playing, your name and all that jazz.  If you wait too long the computer just picks your name (and it's usually something that people would laugh at), and if you don't tell how many people are playing, they eventually just pick 3 random people out of the audience.  Then you hear the end of a commercial and the game starts.  When the game is over and you are asked if you want to play again, you can wait and they have fictitious commercials that will play, some of which I don't like but that's just me.  Some are pretty funny though, like they had one advertising a beer called NBA Draft.  At the end where beer commercials normally tell you to drink responsibly, it said something like the makers of NBA draft remind you to never drink and drive down the lane."  I haven't played the YDKJ games in quite a while so I can't remember any more off the top of my head...

Every once in a blue moon, you will get an impossible question.  This is usually just like a normal question, but it's supposed to be really hard because there is a $20000 payout for it.  I've only seen them in YDKJ volume 3 though.  I had one that was rediculously easy, but it was presented in such a way that you would second guess yourself alot.  I also got one where you had to type in the answer directly as some of the questions do.  In the game's twisted way, it basically asked you how far you would run if your boss made you run a 401K race instead of giving you a 401K plan.

oh yeah...one of my favorite things about the YDKJ games that make them classics in my book is that after you select a category and before the host reads the question, a short little clip will play that tells you what question you are on.  Some of these are quite memorable to me.  My brother told me about some of the animations in the ones on the sports version of you don't know jack, and they sound pretty clever.

Wow...that was long.  That might be able to pass as a GameFAQs review.  Bryan, did I miss anything?

2006-06-09 04:01:16

I don't know that I'd classify any of the material in the YDKJ games as R rated. PG13 at most would be my guess. Mostly it's pretty subtle, making you have to think about it again before you realize what he just said.
  I do like the fake commercials though. I like the Zenora: Queen of Battle commercials (it's a parody of Zena: Warrior Princess for those who are wondering), and the man juice commercial's pretty funny too. Like I said I'm thinking of doing a Podcast on Blind Cool Tech. If all goes as planned I'll have it up there in a few days, but I am making a trip to Oregon next week so it might not be till after that.