2006-06-04 03:09:35

Hi.

I'm just looking into Goldwave, and the hole recording business.
Some reviews I've heard(like the reviews of Jim Kitchen's games from Blind Cool tech), just use the mike to record from external speakers, but I was wondering how you go about recording what's going on in your computer (say in an audio game you might be reviewing), without having to muck about with external speakers. So you could wear headphones, and stil use the mike to do your review.
sinse I play virtually all audio games on headphones, it's sort of neccessary before I have a bash at game reviewing.

I would guess it has something to do with the setting in put properties thing, but goodness knows if I know what.
Any help would be extremely well appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-06-04 08:21:12

i think it really depends on your sound card. my laptop had a standard sound card which was quite boring, and i could not see how you could do that. my computer's got a realtec ac97 sound card which can do it. first of all, on properties, select adjust volume for recording. then there is a list box when you press tab again that you have to check stereo mix and microphone. then if you press enter, you will go to the volume, balance of stereo mix, or how the heck it's called on english computers, volume of stereo mix when you press tab once more, i usually set this to about 20% the volume, since when i record certain games it is all distorted and i once recorded me playing top speed for fun, and it really sounded distorted due to too high volume. it actually happened in that review too. well just set it to 20% or so and check the checkbox that says select if you press tab once more. no, don't also select the microphone, you can only use one of those. now here's where things start to get tricky. it depends on what sound card; i can do it with my computer but with my laptop? no way. go to properties again and choose adjust volume for play this time. then, if you press tab you'll at least need a choice in the list box called microphone. check that if you have it, but there's no way as far as i know to have good stereo sound and you talking at the same time if you don't. now. uncheck all the other checkboxes that are showed in the list after microphone, since that way, you only need to press shift +tab twice to go to the mute checkbox. this is probably checked. uncheck it. the only problem that i have with it is that i can kinda hear my own voice talking through the microphone, but that's not really a problem.
sorry for the woof of a long post.

2006-06-05 04:09:24

I use a program called sound capture (no link!). It runs under windows, and it allows you to record sounds that come from your sound card / line out / microphone device. the prog is about 600 kb, not big. If someone wants, I can send it (zipped archive). Its cool in a way. Not fancy, can record .mp3 files in 128 kbps / 44khz format.

Regards:

tomi

2006-06-05 20:56:39

thanks tommy, if Goldwave proves too much to handle I'll get back to you rguarding Soundcatcher.

I won't be able to do anything until later on this week, sinse i need to get an extra jack for my microphone. When I've got it though, I'll let people know how I'm getting on (hopefully by then I'll also have an audio game review or two to show everybody).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-06-11 20:49:51

You don't need any extra programs or anything. All you do is go to your system's volume control. Then you go to options, properties. In there you should find two radio buttons, adjust volume for playback and adjust volume for recording. After choosing the adjust volume for recording radio button, you should next find a list of controls that appear on your volume control. There should be something like stereo mix or wave out mix on that list, check that. Then press ok, and you should be back to the volume control screen ,but this time its the volume for recording. Find the stereo mix choice, and check the select check box. This should enable you to record both your voice and internal computer sounds on your soundcard. It doesn't matter whether or not you use speakers or headphones.
I hope this helps!

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2006-06-11 21:41:01

Well, I've downloaded goldwave, but right now I can't get it to record anything whatsoever! iether my voice through the mike or stuff off my computer.

I think the stuff in windows is set alright ----- but I'm not certain, any help would be appreciated.

2006-06-12 00:41:29

In that case, you were initially right, you have to choose your recording device. When in GoldWave, get to the properties, and then to the devices tab. On that, after tabbing a few times, you should find the recording device. One choice on that is the primary sound capture driver, and the second choice is your actual recording device. Choose that device, whatever it is, hit ok, and hopefully things should work.
Give a holler if you're still having problems.

I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance, is futile. Your life, as it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service---us.

2006-06-12 02:20:38 (edited by dark empathy 2006-06-12 02:49:12)

Thanks Locutus, through some mucking about with various things I've got goldwave recording (though I'm stil unsure weather it will reccord my voice or not).

the only problem I'm having is that it's reccording only about one second, then shutting off. I've set the reccording properties to unbounded, and I've used the 80 minutes and Cd quality sound preset, but niether has done any good.

Oncemore any suggestions welcome.

Btw, I know that when I'm assimilated I will learn everything about Goldwave, and this might actually be a good plan, but unfortunately as a semi-existentialist, i might cause the collective some hick ups.

2006-06-12 03:50:18

This time, in the GoldWave properties, in the record tab, there is this check box thing that says show settings window. You've got to uncheck that. I had the same trouble when I tried to record the Star Trek First Contact Theme. And speaking of First Contact:

Your precautions are irrelevant. We are the Borg. We will adapt. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futal.

2006-06-12 07:23:18

well, this recording thing was the same that i was trying to explain in my very long post.

2006-06-12 07:50:10

It's damned annoying! but for some utterly unexplainable reason, Hal's playing silly buggers with the property sheet ---- I'm not sure why, Hal's usually fine with such things, and there's even a Map file written fr goldwave, so it should work without any trouble).

If anybody uses Hal and Goldwave (unlikely, but I suppose anything possible), I wouldn't mind knowing about it, otherwise, i'll just phone Dolphin (who make Hal), later on this morning and get them to explain.

I'm not sure what the heck's going on here, Hal usually desn't have this kind of trouble!