2006-06-02 01:31:48

Hello.

About a week ago I submitted a Mortal Kombat win-poly board file to Audio games, perhaps to be put in the mods section (with all the Mk fans around here, I thought people might appreciate it).

I attached the file to an E-mail and sent it to the address on the mod's page. the only thing is, I haven't heard anything back for a week now.

If richard or any other admins recieved this, could you please let me know what's happening? did you get my mail?

If anyone else has submitted mods to Audiogames, is it just a case of mailing off the file to the appropriate address, or is there something else that needs to be done?

If anybody can give me some info that'd be great.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-06-02 08:42:00

hi dark empathy.
how exactely do you mod the board? i'd love to come up with my own, maybe a dungeons and dragons game board.
with dragons and demons as the game pieces.
how exactely do you change all that?
thx
b r t a

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good,
Hear my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.

2006-06-02 10:58:47

I don't really know if it counts as a mod, sinse it's part of the game anyway.

I think there's actually a text file on how to do it that you can read using the "reader" accessary that came with win-poly.

all you do is write a plane text file with the name of each square on a sepperate line. Make certain the file's name starts with the words "monopolyboard" something like "Monopolyboardungeons and dragons, copy the file into the kitchinsink folder, and vuala!

Each board file only contains the names of the streets, railway stations and utilities, you can't rename anything else ----- unless you wentand mucked about in the actual programme I presume.
It's a nice feature, but I really do wish Jim Kitchen had included the ability to change the currency along with the board. While it's vaguely believeable to have a jale in Star wars or Lord of the Ring's monopoly (the Dungeons of Sauron?), but using dollars in those sort of settings just seems weerd to me.

Oh well, maybe Mr. Kitchen will include more customization in his next version update.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-06-02 15:52:52

archer, do you know of any offline dungeons and dragons-type games?
because muds are good, but i do also like the offline games.
i found one which i quite like called minny-westfront, it's available as a dos executible (64 kb zip file) from the ifarchive. in the pc section.
any other games?

2006-06-02 18:19:12

aeron,
i know one that is perfect for you,
i've played every game it has to offer, and i am writing my own game book to submit it to the website.
go to
www.ffproject.com
on this site you will find games text based, where what you decide to do at the start can mean death in the middle.
if you have had past experiences with this site, then there's a few new games on there.
but if you haven't then i suggest you start off with the small games such as
bad moon rising,
imputant peasent,
the cold heart of chaos,
midnight deep
and isle of the cyclops.
the larger ones are
hellfire,
riders of the storm,
bodies in the docks,
curse of the yeti,
trials of allebars tomb.
rebbels of the dark caverns.

enjoy!
hth.
brta

2006-06-02 20:09:34 (edited by dark empathy 2006-06-02 20:13:52)

there's some good stuff there indeed archer, I look forward to reading your submissions. If you've managed to finish Hellfire, then I take my hat off to you, that gamebook is the spawn of Satan ----- or at least a very close relative. Exelently written, but sooooooo many grusome and interesting ways to ddie.

2006-06-03 11:26:34

hi de,
well i got up to the white dragon fight won and died in the acid pool.
but i've completed allibars tomb though.
and the short ones too.
in my game book you'll see several of my favorite things.
1 high tech weapons,

2 settings from the ps1 doom game
3 characters and aliens from a model game called warhammer 40'000.

basically it's like shades of doom but with a more explained start.
your going to see why your team hasn't reported in a month and you find them gon and tyranids in there place.
you have to fight your way through the whole complex slaughtering tyranid troopers as you go.
it's called tyranid invasion.
as soon as it's done and my e-mail kicks in again i hope you enjoy it.
i'm also writing one called the blade of drakama.
a game where your town has been taken prisoner by the evil prince evander and taken into the chaos lands.
you must take up the role of chief blade of drakama round up re-enforcements from elves, dwarves and any other good creatures you find and attack the chaos lands.
again after i've finished it i hope you enjoy it.
brta.
archer

2006-06-03 12:56:06

Hi

I did receive your board but did not yet find the time to put it online. Will do so in the next update!

Greets,

Richard

2006-06-03 13:03:12

how do you "write" gamebooks?

2006-06-03 14:28:17

Thanks Richard, I'm glad the file got there okay, maybe i'll try writing some Mk trivier next?

My brother plays War hammer 40K and has told me about several elements ----- I particularly like the fungus orcs, that book sounds really! interesting Archer. I'm sure the other one will be good to, but high tech weaponry and such is (in my experience anyway), rarer in fighting fantasy.

I did have an idea for a gamebook of my own, a short Sf story set in a sort of post warera. The idea was earth set up colonies on mars, the moon, and various other places, then had a huge war which devastated the planet, so nobody on the colonies knew what was going on down there. You play as Jesomy, a sort of semi- smuggler who gets court up in an attempt by some far distant colonies to invade the inner planets. I've written a brief outline, and I'll try expanding it when I have some time.

aaron, as to how to write gamebooks, if you go to the downloads section of the site and download one of the books (I did impudent Peasant, because I'd already completed it), you can look at the way it's done.

If there's anything more concrete Archer, I'd be interested in finding out.

2006-06-03 15:22:10

hi dark empathy.
well, i don't know about concrete, i've tried to write several hundred lord of the rings style books before now, but because of long story lines and several choices i've given up or got too borred.
however, i am quite confident that as i've started tyranid invasion a game book which contains some of my own personal hobbies and likes that this one wont crumble like the others.
i am including in as many different tyranids as my knowledge knows, expect to see zone thropes and haurmagants too.
and somewhere the young adventurer may have to deal with a much bigger problem later in the book.
wink nudge.
but i won't say more here, you'll have to wait.
i am not certain if blade of drackama will develop, i'm having second thoughts.
i think instead i'll write one on a more sci-fi feel.
again, set on one of a number of games i've played.
it was called e-swat and was a sega megadrive game.
you were a secret agent or something and you had bionic implants.
the story isn't much more than that because i could never get past level 2.
but i'll base it on something like that.
sbrta
archer

2006-06-03 16:07:11

Ah yes, we used to have E-swot  on the amigar. The first few levels were basically taking out different thugs, there was a boomerang throwing one, a chap who breathed fire and a corrupt sailor who chucked ankors at you. then, you got to wear the E-swot sutes and take out more dangerous criminals, like one chap who tried to run you over with a truck, and another who trained circus anaimals ----- you had to fight his tiger and his barrel throwing gorilla I think, the last misssion was sort of interestin, you had to take out somebody who was similar to the terminator, who was on a balcony above you dropping bombs, but instead of killing him, he actually surrendered to you at the end of the fight which was rather interesting.

There's quite a few Sf interactive fiction, but not as many Sf game books for some weerd reason, maybe i will try writing that one after all.

I hope you can get yours finished without getting lost in nasty plot twistings.

2006-06-03 18:37:57

cheers for the support.
i'll carry on with Tyranid invasion and just concentrate on just that one.
but i intend on doing a lot more high tech game books, the phantasy ones are alright, but i think there is more need for big guns and tanks in the ff world.
brta.

2006-06-03 19:01:34

big guns and tanks? Not quite what I was thinking of ---- butt whatever sinks your boat, it stil sounds cool.

I rather fancied something with spaceships and computers (bt stil reasonabley realistic).

You know, your now making me enthusiastic about writing the damn thing, so maybe i will.

2006-06-04 07:34:31

If you want spaceships you could try something based on the space side of things from Battletech. None of the mucking about with shields and some interesting ideas, like having to be positioned on la grange points to jump between systems. For those who don't know la grange points are points in a star system where the gravity from the star and planets cancels each other out to nothing, true zero g.

As for the tyranids, don't forget the carnifex and genestealers tongue
I did have a misguided youth when I was interested in Games WOrkshop stuff, never again... Especially WH40K, it's a rip off.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-06-04 10:04:00

Hmmm, La grange points, interesting. for my own space thing I was actually thinking something similar to what you get in a few Isac Asimov stories, ships that are power by using water as a reaction mass for fusion, so can refuel really easily,but don't have fast travel.

One big part of the story, (which is now called Worlds of the homeless), is that most of the colonies are basically firly isolated.

2006-06-04 10:29:10

dark empathy,
i have an idea, if you made your gb on the foundation of an interagalactic war then you could do a lot with it.
it is a main part of every book, so maybe you have to use your star ship to fight against mother ships and shuttle craft.
you know like
tentapod craft
armor 5
stamena 15

but that's just a suggestion, it's your own to do with as you wish.
and well, i guess your entitled to your oppinion cx2, but i've never really found 40k a "Rip off"
i don't really play the game anyway, i just set up battle scenes.
i have gone off it though, i got a load of magic warhammer, like lord of the rings stuff, and i am rather taken with that at the moment.
best reg
archer

2006-06-04 16:38:10

hi,
i've just made a monopoly board of my own.
this one is an army related one.
here are the properties

guard tower 1
guard tower 2
f16 bomber strip
commando barracks
firing range
mine-field
germany
medic tent
dresdon
third rhike
black hawk helipad
british prison camp
interigation room
firing squad
munitions factory
machine gun post
rocket launcher post
apache helipad
lancaster bomber hanger
harrier bomber hanger
tank refueling station
british air-field
nuclear silo
british pillbox
anti-air gun
stealth bomber runway
main army base
british command tower
enjoy

2006-06-04 18:57:29

I like the way that a British Command tower is more expensive than Germany ------ "If we can't beat them, we'll buy them!" ;D.

As reguards inter galactic war, that might be fun to do in the future, but for this book, I'd like to do something set just in tthe solar system. There's a lot of Sf set aroundinter-steller expantion,  and a few (mostly written in the 60's and 70's), that deal with colonizing the moon, Mars etc, but not half as much that deals with the in betwene bit.

there is actually a war in the book, but I won't say anything about that here.
I've changed the usual set up slightly, now as well as skill, staminaer and luck, you also have a tec stat. Failing a tec check isn't usually fatal but it can damn well help. Theres one rather nasty puzle I've got where you have to re-assemble a laser gun out of various parts, if you've missed one or two parts of the gun somewhere in he book, you might be able to cobble something together if you succeed a tec check (but the difficulty of the check increases if you've missed loads of parts).
There's not much ship combat in the book, but what there is is dealt with in the narative.I might be able to write some more this evening (assuming I can resist the temptation of Trek 2000 which I've only just perchased).

2006-06-04 22:51:29

I'm not going to get into an argument, other than to say try putting together a moderate sized army for warhammer or wh40K and compare that to other games from other companies. You're looking at about

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-06-05 08:15:55 (edited by archer 2006-06-05 08:20:24)

cx2,
i didn't mean to start an argument, i was simply just expressing my like for 40k, the hightech weapons and the vehicles of space marines are merely a good setting for my gamebook as i have a vaster knowledge of them than i do the medevil ones
i may do a game book dealing with goblin warriors and such, but my knowledge is very sketchy.
anyway, there is a cheat that i often use in game books online.
rather than make the wrong deccision and go and die, whenever i come to a choice, like "do you go through the left door, the center or the right"
i'll add that page to my favorites and check out all three choices.
i never did that with allebars, or riders of the storm, but hellfire and outsider are really hard.
i got all the way up to the fight with the governer in outsider, and won, with only 5 stamena left, and then what do i do?
i turn around and there's the nightshade phantom wanting to duke it out with me.
i just saved the page and logged off then, i still have the favorites link probably, with a lot of luck maybe i can trounce the git.
frown growl.
best regards
arch

2006-06-05 15:30:29

I also like to use favourites as save points, but I try to be sparing with them, so as not to cheat too much.

As reguards automation Cx2, the fighting fantasy Project site does have the books programmed, so dice are roled for you. Also, you can't go to pages unless you forfill the requirements. So for example if you've got to a locked door, but don't have the key, the link to the page where you use the key to unlock the door just doesn't appear.

Because the Lone Wolf books on Project.aon are online coppies of actual printed books, there's much less coding there, and you need to use your own dice and actually keep track of your hit points yourself (I just used a word document).

2006-06-05 17:31:35

hey, dark empathy, would you be interested in a streets of rage game book?
i played the game on my sega and i think that i could make a really good game book out of it.
what d'ya reckon
best reg

2006-06-05 18:20:09

I know both Streets of rage 1 and 2 very well (I really wish I could get hold of the third game, but it's reeeeeeeeeealy rare).

Anyway, if you were doing a gamebook of the game, you'd probably have to base it more on two ----- sinse in the first game the thugs don't even have names (though some Faqs I've seen for the game use the names of the S.O.R. 2 thugs for them).

It'd be interesting to see ----- especially if you could actually get the various fighting styles and moves of the charactors in there as well, though you'd really have to expand the plot, sinse even in S.O.r. 2 there isn't much to go on, this is a bit sad, final fight now has loads of plot, (thanks to the Gba release), even though Imho it's not as good a game as S.O.R. 2.

Btw, I was really! sorry to here Danger city had been canceled. I love walk along beat -em ups, and I think you could do a really good job of one in audio ----- sort of like Superliam, but with different sounds for enemy attacks, and different attacks for your charactor varying on the enemies distance).

2006-06-05 21:35:53 (edited by archer 2006-06-05 22:35:24)

yeah, i'd like a streets of rage mod, but unfortunately other than tj there are no side scrollers where there is more than one weapon.
you could try doing it with treasure hunt but..
but in my S,O,R gamebook i am doing it so that axel is the chief character, as he's my fave, and the one i always played as, but i am intending on having some parts where you are actually controling blaze and adam.
as well as this i am also adding an extra to the adventure sheet.
although in my gb axel has pistols for long range killings he is esentially unarmed.
therefore as well as skill, stamina and luck there will be the additional weapon strength.
e.g bottles are 5
drain pipes are 10
steel clubs are 15
and chains are 20.
basically every thug you fight is the same stamina as you 25.
as instead of having them all different.
so therefore it takes you longer to kill them so bottles take off 2 stamina, drain pipes take off 3 steel clubs 4 and chains 5.
there will also be an option of throwing a trash can at them, if it hits it will take off 6 stamina points giving you an advantage.
if it misses however it slows thugs down enough to give you the chance to shoot a couple first.
i would like to know where i can get some information on characters though, do you know any websites where i can look?
p.s here's a website that has wav sounds for the street fighter chars, good for tj modding.
here's the url, it will take you to chunli first, but go to char select and they're all there, excluding blanker the green guy and e-honda the fat guy with the long arm.
http://psialpha2.tripod.com/sachunli2.html
cheers
arch