2011-12-08 15:40:36 (edited by AlexN94 2012-02-13 00:24:43)

Marcrosoft and I have made this little, strange game:
It's called Survive...

You can download it
here.

Right now you just have to find a key, so you can unlock a door... Read the readdme for more info... big_smile

What do you think about it?

Best regards
Alex

PS. If you have any ideas you can post 'em here too...

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2011-12-08 16:49:57 (edited by TalonTheDragon 2011-12-08 16:50:34)

Hi,

Definitely a sweet little game. Good work!
Lots of reverb everywhere too, huh? tongue
Liking it so far. Somehow though, I wasn't able to pick up the key. It just wouldn't do it. It was very close to the door, not sure if it had anything to do with that.
EDIT: Why is this in Off-Topic btdubs? It's a game, isn't it? big_smile

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-12-08 18:17:07

O man this game is cool!

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-12-08 18:22:15

Ghorthalon> Yeah, the key is close to the door, but not on the ground... big_smile

Get the hook and return to the wall in the left side... And throw it! Yee har! Then you should be able to reach the roof...

Alex

2011-12-08 18:26:34

I can't seem to figure out how climbing works... I was able to climb to the top of the wall once, but I have no idea what I did differently from all the times I died trying.
... And I can't figure out what to do after getting up there.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-12-08 18:36:08

Ah, well, I seem to have figured it out and opened the door. smile

It is a little unnerving while walking on the top and hearing what's below without anything to let you know that you're walking on anything other than your own steps. Heh. smile
Also, I probably wouldn't have been able to figure out how to get over there if not for the rusty metal sound. Can I assume any such jumps in the future will have some kind of indicator like that? tongue

Nice work!

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-12-08 19:36:24

Hi,

I figured it out. Nice work! Let's hope more stuff gets added. smile

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-12-08 20:08:07

wow!
This game is very good so far. Keep it up!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-12-08 20:13:19

Thank you for the nice words... Do you have any suggestions?
Maybe some kind of animals to kil... I don't know if it would be hart to add, Marc is doing the most of the programming... big_smile

Alex

2011-12-08 22:58:39

Hi,
Thank you for all the comments!
I will continue working on this with Alex.
Regards,
Marc

2011-12-09 09:52:53

Hi.
This game is awesome. The engine works very stable which I really like.
I'll come up with some suggestions later on. Keep up the good work guys!

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2011-12-09 09:53:18

I can't manage to climb on the rope in level one

2011-12-09 10:01:55

SLJ> Thx, looking forward to your suggestions.

Fatih> Use page-up to climb...

Alex

2011-12-09 10:11:20

[slight spoiler]
If you don't climb the rope quickly enough, you'll fall. It took me a while to figure out that that was the reason I was falling. Heh.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-12-09 10:22:21

Cae> Yeah... Have you tried to fall into the deep water? smile

2011-12-09 10:38:54

Hi Alex and Marc,
congratulations on this interesting project! Even for a rough alpha or concept demo or whatever you may wish to call it, it's already pretty stable and polished and I do appreciate that! I love the high-quality audio, perhaps only the swimming and climbing sounds could use better replacements.
So far, I haven't noticed any bugs or unclear behavior, and so I have only two questions/suggestions at the moment.
First, do you plan to give this thing an actual story, plot and theme?
And second, you might want to consider using the volume of sounds for the vertical axis, like it is done in Perilous Hearts. Like this, there is no way to tell whether something is above or below you, if you have the panning centered. Hope that this makes sense and I won't have to elaborate further in order to explain what I mean. :-D
This thing does have potential. It contains elements from all the currently existing major audio sidescrollers, or at least that's what it looks like to me, even those such as Tarzan Junior or Hunter (although that game is not a sidescroller in full but does contain sidescrolling levels, as far as I remember), if you give it more levels with different themes and a gradually evolving plot.
So I am curious to see where Survive goes and how it develops, and should you ever need any help of whatever kind, let me know.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-12-09 12:31:44 (edited by AlexN94 2011-12-09 12:38:07)

Lucas> Thank you so much smile
Hmm... Think I'll have to call Marc later to day... And now it's weekend, so I hope we can do something more to the game...
I'll try to find some other sounds for the climbing and swimming...

(If there are elements from all the major games, I don't think it was the meaning - but it's just good if there are... I just can't see which ones they could be...)

Best regards
Alex

PS. I haven't thought of a plot when I began to make the game in AutoIt - and then it just also was called "Test Game"... The only thing you could do in it was to die... smile
Marc converted into BGT - and after that we began to make Survive...
Let's hope the game will survive... big_smile

2011-12-09 15:11:05

Hi Alex,
it has 2D movement and even using different objects you pick up, so that would be something that only Perilous Hearts and to an extent Mota have currently. And it would become even more prominent if you added a complete inventory system later on.
The jumping mechanics seem to be similar to those of Super Liam, the swimming reminds me of Treasure Hunt or Mota again. If the game has a continuous story and more levels later on, that would be a resemblance to Tarzan Junior or Hunter, etc. :-)
The best of luck with it!
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-12-09 16:35:26

Hi,
Where can I swim? I think I don't need it, because I beat the game! I wish you the best of the lucks!

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-12-09 16:40:28

At Alex: Yes, it actually took me a while to realize I could jump over the deep water. smile
I did actually try falling into all of the traps just to see what they do. The result of stepping on the rusty metal is quite awesomely done!

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-12-09 16:45:45 (edited by AlexN94 2011-12-09 16:49:50)

Lucas> Aha, I see.. smile In fact the sounds that are playing on the ground are lower in volume when you're walking on the roof...
I think the inventory (which shouldn't be so hard to add) will be a kind of "sub menu"...

Burak> Try the water... smile

Cae_Jones> Thx, if you (and of course all other people, who have responded to this) have any ideas for a new thing there could be in the game, just write...

Alex

2011-12-09 16:58:39

Maybe there could be a way to use the hook to swing across a large gap?
Actually, a later challenge might b hiding an item in the deep water, so you must swim to find it.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-12-09 22:51:12

Yeah. That could be in lvl2... Or 3...  Nice idea, I really like it... big_smile
Hmm... Maybe this hidden item could be a kind of weapon, but which kind of weapon? A sword could be fun... A meat hook? big_smile
Or maybe a key to something... Hmm...

2011-12-10 00:03:35

what do I do with the ice?
I step on it and die.
I try to jump but no dice

2011-12-10 00:13:34

You have to jump over it just like you do the pit.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.