2006-05-22 10:11:49 (edited by dark empathy 2006-05-22 10:13:25)

Greetings Locutus, or should i say Jean Luc Picard? You will be approximated! Resistance is flore tile!

I'm afraid Mk 4 is the only one of the series I've never tried, so I can't give you any tips on that one (I probably need to download it myself at some point).

Assault freak, one of the things I like about soul Caliber is that it uses a hole combination of stuff, the circles from Sf, a bit of the forward forward motions of Mk, and some really interesting stuff, like sliding from one button to another. The only thing it doesn't have are the charge motions of Streetfighter, ---- hold back, then forward punch etc, well, I suppose those have sort of gone out of fashion.

There is one very weerd controller motion in Sf though. Acuma's raging deamon move in the alpha games activates differently from anything else in Sf at all! Light punch twice, forward, midium kick, fierce punch.

Well, as the raging damon is the uba move of utter doom which sucks the opponent to hell so deamons can attack them horribley, it sort of makes sense that it has a weerd motion.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-05-22 21:31:53

Rofl. True enough. That's another reason why I like Soul Calibur. Speaking of reasons why I like it, you notice the music and the orchestra they use? I love it! I so wish I could get the music...

Discord: clemchowder633

2006-05-23 10:40:46

I've lovede the music to the game series ever sinse Soul blade. I just wish somebody would get around to ripping the soundtracks to the games in Psf and Psf2 format. The only thing thatreally drives me up the wall with Soul Calibur is that Sc3 hasn't had a Gamecube release, that means I'm probably going to have to buy a Ps2 before I can actually play the game.

As I said before in this topic, I actually think i enjoy the plot and atmosphere of Soul Calibur more than Mk. Partly it's the music, and partly it's the plot as well, I love the fact that Soul Cailbur is actually set in the real world, using historical events (like the Oterman empire's take over of griece), as part of the plot, admitted a couple of charactors like Asteroth (daaaamn you, tod Mcfarlen), stretch the bounds of belief a bit, but stil, it's mostly true to life.

Oh, and I wish they'd actually decide to kill some charactors in the Mk plot line! (points scornfully at Jonny cage and Lucang).

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2006-05-24 02:44:05

Loo gets killed in DA. If you've read the storyline or seen the fmv. But yeah, ps2 might be worth it if you are a die-hard sc fan like me. And the fact that SC uses real events is cool too. I just like mk because the plot os sorta mystical and creepy. You never really know what's going to happen next.

2006-05-24 10:32:04

Sorry to spoil things for people, but Leu's death in Da isn't exactly perminant, niether I believe is Shaokarn's for that matter (check out deception or the Mk plot faq by a chap called Subzero 78 if you want to see what I mean).

I do like some aspects of the Mk plot, but i JUST WISH THEY WOULDN'T HAVE CHARACTORS COMING BACK FROM THE DEAD IN MANY MANY LUDICROUS WAYS. i'LL PROBABLY BUY A pS2 AT SOME POINTESPECIALLY AS IT'LL BE GOOD AND CHEAP WITH THE x360 REVOLUTION AND pS3 ON THE WAY ----- THOUGH COME TO THINK OF THAT, IF IT'S TRUE YOUR GOING TO BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD MANy old nintendo games from the internet with the revolution, I'll probably have to save up for one of those as well.

2006-05-25 01:58:39

True enough. Kang somehow gets resurrected in Deception. It's not really explained. As for shao Kahn, he came back because it wasn't really him, according to his deception bio for the cube. He made a clone of himself so they'd go after it instead of the real Kahn.

2006-05-25 10:57:39 (edited by dark empathy 2006-05-25 12:11:16)

Shaokarn clone? My contrived plot sense is tingling!

As far as Kang goes, if I remember rightly, Kang's body was resourected by the Dragon King, (it's what the chap does after all), but because Tsung had eaten Leukang's soul, the body went around as a zombi killingmachine, until Kang's soul could catch up with it, thanks to Ermac.

that's another thing, as far as I understand the deception plot, Ermac basically turns out to be the most powerful person in history, just because they needed somebody to come along and save the day, which Imho is a litle silly, especially for a charactor who started out as an Error Macro in Mortal Kombat 1.

Btw, I've written a Mortal Kombat monopoly board file for the Kitchensinc game, with all the Mk fans on this board I thought people might appreciate it. I've just posted it off to the address on the Mods page, so hopefully it should be available for people soon, it's a sort of best of, with stages in from all the games, unless I was going to use charactors as squares (something which might be a litle silly), there weren't really enough stages in one game to fill the board, so we've got stuff from mk1, a lot from deadly Allience and deception and a couple from Mk4 as well (I had great fun turning the electric company into Raiden's staff, Lol).

2006-05-26 01:19:08

Can't wait.

2006-05-26 13:05:40

Thanks. I've not got any reply yet, I assume Richard and co are busy.

I hope the board is worth the wait. I just wish the game would let you change the currencey along with the square names, I'd much rather have had platinum or onix coins than Dollars.

2006-05-27 01:00:01

Same here. By the way, have you noticed that we're the only ones using this topic? Think other people should come and talk about it as well. haha. Especially all the other mk fans like us.

2006-05-27 01:43:01

Indeed, I'm not sure what's happened to everyone, may I suggest that they,
Get over here!!!!!!!

;D.

2006-05-27 18:35:34

Hi all,
about shao kahn, i know only mk 1 2 3 and 4, and if i get it well, then reiko somehow managed to escape, thats why he is weak now, but he is shao kahn. If i am not right, then put all your blame on midway, lol.
They wrote this in the character info screen (theatre i think)
Best reg,
R.J.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-05-27 19:52:57 (edited by dark empathy 2006-05-27 20:03:50)

Hmm Robjoy, I've not personally played Mk4 ---- I probably ought to. There's a huge and very angry sounding arguement in the two Mk plot faqs, the one by Subzero 78, and by Gavoc about Reico and Shao carn, being a huge Mk 4 fan, you might find it interesting.

I was thinking of Karn's death in Deadly alliance, where he's supposedly killed by Shang Tsung and Quan Chi, ---- well that is until Mk deception, where it's revealed that that was apparently Carn's clone that was killed.

This is my general problem with the Mk plot ----- it's hardly possible for any charactor to die, without ludicrously coming back in some way shape or form, I remember when the original Mk3 came out, and my first thought was, oh good grief! things have really gone to pot if half the cast has snuffed it, then Midway bring out ultimate, and everybody's suddenly back, ditto with the very gorey and quite shocking death of Carn and Lieu Kang in Deadly alliance (I love that Fmv!).

I like the Mk plot, I just wish Midway would put in a bit of developement, the way Namco have done with Soul Calibre (and even Tekken),and Capcom have done with Streetfighter.

Btw, I've been thinking for a while of how you might go about creating an audio one on one beat-em-up, a combo system like Deadly alliance would be possible I suppose, but there are so many other factors (like the distance, speed and collision range of each attack), that I just can't see how you could translate.

2006-05-27 21:16:14

Well, Reaiko is definitely not Kahn. There's an awesome faq for the plot by sub0961, and it argues that Reiko's, only because he had Kahn's helmet slip onto his head in the GBC ending doesn't mean he's Kahn. That's my personal theory as well. Besides, in Armageddon, he and Kahn are gonna be separate characters. I can't see the same person coming in twice. As for development and dead people coming back, Dark empathy has a point. They need to decide who dies and who doesn't! Kahn's death might be an acception, but Johny Kage's death just doesn't look cool. He dies, then he comes back to life because of Raiden. I prefer Liu Kang's death then. Has his neck broken, his soul stolen. Then someone ransacks his tomb, resurrects his corpse, makes him go kill people. Then the ghost and body fight each other, get murged together by Raiden, he Come back to life. A better and more dramatic process than Johny Kage, I think..

2006-05-27 21:52:32

Well, i think that is not right, because you can see in the ending, when reiko sits down on his throne, which was his, shao kahns. Well, i don't know maybe midway complicating these things.
And, since raiden and stuff are gods, they can do everything. That means, mk will never end, if you wanna bring back a char, you can, just find out  a story around the resurrection, and thats all.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-05-27 22:45:30

At risk of appearing a total games plot geek ---- oh what the heck! i am a total games plot geek!

anyway, it's true that Raiden is now one of the elder gods, but I get the impression they're hardly omnipotent, not when people like shinok and the Dragon King can push them around with such apparent ease.

I would've agreed with you about Lieu Kang's reserection AssaultFreakk accept that in Mk, it seems that almost every single new game --- or even upgraded versions of old games, randomly bring charactors back to life.

the thought of a heroic charactor's body going around on a Zombi rampage persued by his spirit is indeed very interesting, but unfortunately it comes on the heals of all the molarchy with Johny Kage, Goro's random not dying, and Noob saibot suddenly turning out to be the elder Sub zero, rather odd considdering he was originally just a hyper secret reward for really persistant Mk2 players to earn ---- though maybe rewards the wrong word, he totally destroyed me everytime I fought him!

As reguards Reico and Shao Karn, I gather from the two plot faqs that there's some controversy, but not having yet played any of the games Reico's been in, I can't really comment.

2006-05-27 23:51:04

I've confirmed things on the matter of Kahn. I had someone describethe ending to me, and Reaiko sits down on the thrown, then the helmet slips onto his head or something like that. But I stick to my point. Armageddon is having Reaiko and Kahn as separate chars, so that makes the canon fact that the two are different people. Again, sub0961's fAq says that the two are different, and most of the plot guides I've read say that as well.

2006-05-28 01:28:24

Plot guides? the only two I've seen are Subzero 961's and Gavocs, what others are there?

I like Sub Zero's because of all the quoted bios and other material he's written ----- not least giving me a chance to look at all the old Mk commics (something my brother read back in the day, and made me extremely jealous), Imho gavoc's is better written and explained, but he doesn't quote the original sources ---- nor have I seen any updates of his Faq for a while. Though, in fairness, I do owe Gavoc a debt, sinse it was reading his faq that made me interested enough in the series to go out and buy MkDa.

2006-05-28 05:04:20 (edited by assault_freak 2006-05-28 05:16:22)

Well there you go. As for another mk plot guide, go to the combat povillion.
http://tabmok99.mortalkombatonline.com
That gives you a plot faq, and you can read it. And there's actually a link to that theory about Reaiko and Kahn... And apparently, he is Kahn, until Midway says something otherwise. And as Armageddon is having them as different chars that just goes to show.

2006-05-28 13:28:26

Thanks, I'll have a look.

2006-05-28 18:18:50

this topic is getting more and more interesting!
keep the replies coming! now the topic is going full mk, (not just mk4) i'd like to say something about mkda. i do like deadly allience, but the kombat system is totally different.
it's a great system though. there's a history thing somewhere in one of the menues and it goes through all the games and it said that they wanted the marcial arts in deadly alliance or something.

2006-05-28 21:36:02 (edited by tomi 2006-05-28 21:37:10)

hi,
um, what's mk4?
Ok, I could figure out its mortal kombat... and do you need a joystick or something like that to play?
reg:
tomi

Regards:

tomi

2006-05-29 11:54:28

No, if you have the pc edition no you wont. Adn even if you play it via a playstation emulator, you wont need.
Well, mk (stands for mortal kombat) is a fighting game, where you have to defeat your enemies using combos like down back low punch (this is the combo for jarek's 3 blade tech), and if you successfully do the combo, your character will perform different skills like throwing shurikens, throwing a fireball, etc.
You can play the game without those combos as wel, but they cause more damage and often easier to perform (especially if you are with a short-handed character like Johny Cage, because you have to go closelly to your enemy to hit him). You can also kick, use different weapons (from mk4 only and higher). After mk4, you can use different fighting styles like dragon (i think it is wih sub-zero, and scorpion), and a lot of stuff which i didn't write here.
Also if you defeat your enemy, you can perform a finishing move (like tearing off the enemy's leg and hitting him with it until he dies).
So, shortly, this is a game with lots of blood, cool sounds, funny moves (in mortal kombat trilogy (one before mk4) with kano you can do an animality finishing move, which is funny). As far as i know it doesnt support multiplayer, so that is one drawback, but it is really cool for a personal contest, or a one by one match against friends.
The game supports lots of things which i doesn't want to write here, because it will take ages to read, lol, but if you would like to learn about mk, you can e-mail me and i will answer as soon as possible.
(sorry for the long post)
R.J.

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2006-05-29 18:42:02

and all this is accessible? or how can we blind users play this thing?

Regards:

tomi

2006-05-30 13:15:29

i can play mk games just fine without any vision at all.
i actually beat deadly alliance, and my dad helped me with conquest (telling me what to do ("down left square!"), and i did. i got every character, beat lots of kombatants, did syraxis fatality lots of times (cause it's the best!) and still hav e the game and have forgotten what how to do enarly every fatality (accept radens)