2006-04-12 17:46:52

I know this is off topic but this is the first place that came to mind to ask this. Are there any special scripts I need in order to use the newer versions of MSN Messenger with JAWS? I have a fully functional version of JFW 4.5 and I noticed that it doesn't seem to work well with MSN Messenger anymore. The only problem is, I downloaded a demo of JFW 7.0 or so for Win98 and I got even less feedback from that than I did with JFW4.5. With JFW 4.5 I could see who was online but when I tried to start a conversation JAWS didn't register what I typed. When I tried it with JFW 7 I couldn't even see who was online. It's frustrating because I used to be on MSN Messenger all the time and now it doesn't seem to like either version of JAWS that I've tried.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2006-04-12 18:55:28

See, it's a pity you're running Windows 98. If you could get your hands on Windows XP, I'd say just use Windows Messenger (MSN without the bells and whistles).

I used to have the same problem running Windows 98 actually, and don't know a fix for it.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2006-04-12 22:43:34

Actually msn has a lot more features than win messenger, but i say, use the built-in windows messenger, which comes with win xp, if you have it installed.
If you haven't, then i think you can download a copy of win messenger from the microsoft's website.
Robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-04-12 22:45:55

Same thing happened to me, but I was able to get XP.  That really makes me mad though, because not everyone can just go upgrade their windows or their screen reader.  How long before nothing will work unless you have Vista.  GRRR!

2006-04-13 02:41:30

HI everyone.
I have a very weird problem with JAWS 5.10. When I use MSN and I chat with other people, JAWS reads things oddly. It sounds like, "THE cat wiahst...".
I have windows XP so if you think that it is the operating system problem, I don't think it is. I also want to tell you that I have MSN 7.5.
Thanks for your help.
Game Man

Game Man

2006-04-13 08:18:50

Guys, I had the same problem with windows millenium edition. I tried using messenger 7.5 on jaws 5.0 and I wasn't getting any messages from people. The thing is that I could get xp and get it to work with windows messenger. I think youc an't download a copy of windows messenger anywhere, and if you could it probably would be for win xp.

2006-04-13 08:23:30

All right.
At first, don't expect that jaws will read the messages, when they arrive.
You have to check all the time the history window, for new ones. Unfortunatelly this is a problem, even with win messenger.
however with jfw 5.x, you can hear the clicks when someone is typing  a message if you turned on them.
Robjoy

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2006-04-13 14:55:15

zhtfreak wrote:

Same thing happened to me, but I was able to get XP.  That really makes me mad though, because not everyone can just go upgrade their windows or their screen reader.  How long before nothing will work unless you have Vista.  GRRR!

My big worry right now is that much talked about interface changes in Vista will be more of a pain for screen readers than the Win XP style start menu. I know this can be disabled, but having it on by default is a real pain. The new interface was referred to as including translucency and 3d so I'm rather concerned... Plus how long it'll take for Freedom Scientific (or GW Micro/Dolphin) to bring out support for Vista. There might be a period where XP is no longer available, but support for Vista with screen readers isn't available... and I'd also like to take advantage of the built in DVD burning, the CD burning in XP built into windows explorer was great for me.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.