2011-09-11 02:26:16 (edited by hadi.gsf 2011-09-11 02:31:49)

Hello friends.

Well, it's been a long time, that i wanted to write an article about blinds and visually impaired people, and working with flight simmulator... well, microsoft flight simmulator.

I've seen alot of people, searching and searching about how to work with microsoft flight simmulator.. and you've probably seen some topics here,  regarding "how to play microsoft flight simmulator 2004?" or "what softwares do i need to work with microsoft flight simmulator 2004?" and so on.

I hope that this article be useful for you, and this will be in between of the search results, which people do.

First to say, a flight simmulator, is not a game actually. you're not going to achieve a point... there's less or no challenges, and you're not going to compete with anyOne in it.
The main purpose of working/playing with microsoft flight simmulator, is to enjoy from flying, enjoy from controling the most realistic aircrafts, and working with the real instruments of an it, talking with air trafic controlers, hear the best-3d quality of roaring your engines while taking off the runway and airborn, arriving to your distination, and many many unlimited desires.
Microsoft flight simmulator is a visual simmulator. all the people around the world play or work with it, and there is no restrictions for us---blinds to work with it, too! yes... you've heard that right!
Well, the last thing about flight simmulator is, that many people hate it because of the total realism of it, and many people love that and get adicted to it again because the most reality of the aircrafts, controls, and the areas of flight simmulator.
you just need to find out that which group are you in.
If i want to write about the microsoft flight simmulator, and what feature it has, i guess the length of the post will be freakin' long. so, you'd better check the link below, without beeing worry about how to fly with MS flight sim!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_ … imulator_X

That link is for the ms flight sim X, the latest version of this software, so read it carefully if you want, or just go for it and search about it on the internet!

Well, now it's time to tell how we're going to fly a real aircraft without having a visual of it!

If you're thinking that all pilots, need to look out of the front window of the aircraft, to fly the aircraft, you are totally wrong.
We have two types of flights
VFR: visual flight rules... oh well, yeah the pilot needs to look outside, and work with the control yoke to turn left and right, climb and descend, and so on!

IFR: instrument flight rules... after the aircraft is airborn and in the air, the pilot do not needs to look to the sky and ground to control the aircraft. he or she, will control the aircraft by the devices, navigation tools, instruments and controls/buttons which are in front of it, on the aircraft's panels and so on!
so here we go, we just sit behind many buttons and instruments, and control our aircraft.

Unfortunetly, the aircrafts's panels and tools are not accessible by screenreaders do to their graphical interface,.
so what we're going to do?

Here comes up the gratest and best application or let's say add-on for microsoft flight simmulator, for people, specially for blind pilots!
itsyourplane

http://www.itsyourplane.com/

Here you go, you have the main link to their website of ItsYourPlane.

Now, i will just give a bit information, if you would like to listen more

Itsyourplane gives you an co-pilot... yeah, just imagine a real co-pilot, sitting beside you, and doing evrrything whenever you just command.
So, you command to your co-pilot, and she/he will do it for you.... like pressing buttons, switching nobs, pulling the stick, turning the aircraft to left and right, entering the data to your aircraft and more and more.

In my life, i have never seen a trustable application (co-pilot) such as itsyourplane (michel).
I know sighted people who close their eyes, or sit back while having tea, and trust to michel (the co pilot of itsyourplane)

Describing a super application like Itsyourplane is pretty hard. i'm not going to write a review, to advertise or just say the pros of this software, i'm just saying, what i'm experiencing.

Michel, the co pilot of itsyourplane, is able to switch, press, preform, of all actions of your aircraft. you just need to, yell out, and speak up the commands, and in the moment, your aircraft is in your control.
Some feature of itsyourplane for example, is auto landing
Landing is a hard part for all pilots, +the blind pilots really cannot do it without any assistance.
michel will do it for you. she will also assist you with other requirements of landing, huh yeah, don't think when landing, you need to just dive the airplane on the runway, and smash it to the ground.
you need to control more than 20 things of an aircraft to have an successfull landing,
like your landing gear, your flaps (a part of the aircraft's wings which is movable by controls) your airspeed, and your directions and more!
Michel, like an experienced first officer, standing beside you, will do these things for you, she will also run the checklists for you, so you don't forget anything while taking off, cruising, or descending.

Don't think that Michel will do all the things automaticly, she needs a captain, you, to command.
so you command, she preforms, and the aircraft acts.

some examples:
I say to michel "landing lights on" she will switch the landing lights, and replys "captain, the landing lights are on"
or,
"autopilot on" she will switch the button for you

"turn left, heading 150" michel will enter the data to the autopilot section of the aircraft, so your aircraft will turn left till the heading of 150 degrees.

michel will read out the runways at the airports, crew announcements, flight following reports (like where are you, what city are you crossing," and will report all the controls and things by your request, like your current airspeed, current ground speed, your total distance to your distination, and many things.

This application is verry verry complex. as i said, i'm unable to describe the all features and things in it. you just need to head to this site,
http://www.itsyourplane.com/
and read about this software yourself, and listen to the youtube videos which mr. Robert Cezar, the developer of itsyourplane recorded himself, and decide if you love it or not.
Just remember to, imagine a real co-pilot beside you, ready to take commands from you and you both fly through the skys.
mr. Cezar is currently busy, adding features more and more, evrry day and weeks for blind pilots, to ensure that they're having their aircraft under control.
As i'm aware of, he's open to suggestions, and ideas, which are coming from other blind pilots, and trying to make the itsyourplane more friendly to the blind people.

I'm not sure if you're the one who doesn't enjoy flying, or doesn't like the real simmulation of microsoft fs,
or you're like me, who loves flight verry much and is ready to do evrrything to control a real aircraft.
i want to make sure, and let all people like me to know, that even you cannot see, but you can control the aircraft such as boeing 747, and enjoy flying like other people of the world.
i have no other purpose of writing this review for you.
i hope this article would be useful to you, and i if you're going to be a captain, i hope of success flying for you.

Any questions, suggestions, ideas, post on this topic, or mail me, i'm ready to help you guys.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2011-09-11 12:07:16

hi.
I have some questions:
1. what screen reader are you using for play?
2. do you use FSnavigator?
thanks

2011-09-11 13:09:18

stefan_ilioaica wrote:

hi.
I have some questions:
1. what screen reader are you using for play?
2. do you use FSnavigator?
thanks

please read my post carefully,

as i mentioned above,
1: ms flight simmulator is completely graphical interface, so you don't need your screenreader to fly your airplane
anyhow, for working with menus, choosing your aircraft and such, you need a screenreader by the way

i use jaws myself.

oh answering your last question,
when there's an application like itsyourplane, you don't need FSnavigator anymore

2011-09-11 15:36:37

hi hotty

i have never tried to play this game before if i started now would i find it to complicated i mean the average person do not fly planes although it does sound really cool.

2011-09-11 19:33:44

Anthony wrote:

hi hotty

i have never tried to play this game before if i started now would i find it to complicated i mean the average person do not fly planes although it does sound really cool.

hello, yes it is hard and complicated, but just at your first experience.

michel, other pilots, me myself, and other people will help you out to learn, no problem at all! don't worry about it.

the currently thing is, that you should see if you like it or not. you're going to spend something about $100 for it.
go check out the youtube videos at itsyourplane's website, and see weather you like it or not!

2011-09-12 02:55:14

um. hotty? haha. typos are cool.

I've never been good with plane simulator stuff. not sure why. Might look at it though

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2011-09-12 08:57:20

Hi.

Sounds really interesting. Thanks much for your article.
I just wish Microsofts flight simulator was updated sinse 2004. I haven't tried it, but sounds really old. Will it work on Windows 7?
I have some questions about the simulator:
1: Are you able to fly in a realistic world where you can fly to countries and cities?
2: can you upgrade or purchase things to your airplane?
3: Does the game supports surround sound?
4: Will you meet other planes and maybe work together?
5: what can you do when you've landed your plane? Maybe go out of the plane as a character? Or can you only check your status and just take off when you wants to?
I've never tried any simulator before, but sounds very interesting. Sound´s like you can use a lot of time on that. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2011-09-12 09:50:51

I perhaps, can shed some light on that.

Yes, you can fly to real places.  In fact, you can fly anywhere in the world you want.  Want to fly to Africa, just get ready for a long flight tongue.

You cannot upgrade your airplane.  As stated in the article there, it's a flight simulator.  You simulate flying existing passenger planes.  If you knew how to make planes and such, and it can be done, then yeah sure.  You can do what you wish.  Some people, so I've read, have created spacecraft as their planes. 

I don't know about surround sound.  It's not really needed, anyway.  There aren't too much in the way of sounds.  When I say that, you're going to hear a majority of one sound in a loop for a while.  The sounds it does have, are amaising.

You can sort of meet other planes.  If you are into that sort of thing, you can install a system that, once hooked up, will allow you to fly a flight with real humans acting as your flight control.

As for what you can do when you land, well, nothing really.  It is, however, a simulator. Having said that, do a google search for virtual airlines.  Its YourPlane is currently developign one that will work with it's akars system.

Speaking of IYP features, I highly suggest you look at their flight control system.  It allows you to use voice commands to respond to flight control.

2011-09-12 12:54:38

stewie wrote:

um. hotty? haha. typos are cool.

I've never been good with plane simulator stuff. not sure why. Might look at it though

ahahahahahahaha!
that was smart, i didn't get that at the first time.

2011-09-12 13:08:03

SLJ wrote:

Hi.

Sounds really interesting. Thanks much for your article.
I just wish Microsofts flight simulator was updated sinse 2004. I haven't tried it, but sounds really old. Will it work on Windows 7?
I have some questions about the simulator:
1: Are you able to fly in a realistic world where you can fly to countries and cities?
2: can you upgrade or purchase things to your airplane?
3: Does the game supports surround sound?
4: Will you meet other planes and maybe work together?
5: what can you do when you've landed your plane? Maybe go out of the plane as a character? Or can you only check your status and just take off when you wants to?
I've never tried any simulator before, but sounds very interesting. Sound´s like you can use a lot of time on that. smile

as malloc said,
1: yes, real world, the exact real world. if you want to fly from  london/heathro airport to new yourk, you might like to fly for 8/10  hours, with a jet or something
microsoft did put evrry small city, big cities, countries, deserts, mountains in their real map. so just imagine you're flying on the real world, with real estimate flying times.

2: you cannot purchace things for your plane, but you can purchace new planes and repaints. microsoft fs just has something like 18 or 20 aircrafts, other than that, you should get freeware and payware airplanes.
and something cool again, you can download new soundpacks for your airplane!
i've downloaded a GE engines soundpack (generic electric engines), now when i want to pull the stick to takeoff with my boeing 737-800, the roar of my engines just is troumendous, i feel i'm in the real plane!

3: yes, it supports 3d surround sound, (like you're sitting in the real airplane while wearing headsets) but as malloc mentioned, you're going to just hear your engines roaring like a dragon while flying--- what else do you expect to here?
oh by the way, when it is raining or the wind, if you take a look at outside of your aircraft, you hear the lightenings,  and the crosswinds and such. or when you're sitting in an airport you can hear other airplanes taking off or landing, if you get more trafic.

4: yes, you can fly online, show your taking-off  to your friends, hear real-controlers giving instructions to you, and more... the online section is verry awesome, and once  you get profissional, you can fly online!

5: no you cannot get out of your plane, but you can view or get a stat of what have you done at the flights, or if you get some add-ons for fs, you may want to read what the passengers saying about your flight.

at last, yes microsoft did updated fs, now we have microsoft flight simmulator X above the fs 2004. fsx is the newer version not fs 2004.
and, there are many, many, many softwares, add-ons, that you can install to your fsx, like sound packs, new airplanes, more trafics in the air, and so on.

2011-09-12 13:59:41

Awesome. thanks for your answer.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen