2011-09-06 12:26:12

Hey there Aprone and others, my windows 7 machine does not like my dm-620 olympus recorder.
It takes a while to load 2 minute files and up, while it my plextalk is just fine with this machine. I have it connected to a usb 2.0 port, and I most often use it in goldwave to open the files. Can you help me resolve this problem. P.S. I'll be in school, so I'll be back in a few hours.

2011-09-06 12:45:39

It might just be the size of the file that takes a while to load. Also who knows, if the recorder was made before windows 7 came out, there may be some compatibility issues.

2011-09-06 15:19:45

Compatibility issues would be my guess as well.  I've had quite a few programs and games act funny once I moved them over from my old XP machine to my new windows 7 machine.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-09-06 17:41:16

Omar, I wonder why you addressed Aprone explicitly in the topic. LOL
I'm not sure about the compatibility but since I have an older Olympus recorder (DM550) myself which was the newest model available like two years ago and I didn't even know that a newer one was already made, to be honest, I would guess that the 620 one started being produced when Windows 7 was already out. So, this will be a rather dumb question but it's the only one I can think of without further knowledge of your issue: Have you installed the provided software and drivers or just plugged the recorder in, hoping that the system would recognize it as a general mass storage device?
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-09-06 22:47:18

I just pretty much plugged it in and it seemed to work fine. Drivers? What drivers? It only came with the software that was used to perform basic opperation on the files, so I thought why bother? And also on that note, it's not that I really could anyway, I can't seem to find my serial number for the software.

2011-09-07 06:27:05

All right, I thought there could be specific drivers provided on the CD as well. In that case, you might want to try it several times, perhaps it'll perform better on the second or third attempt. Which way of connection do you have chosen in the USB settings menu, storage class or combined? If it's combined, then the recorder will also serve as an external USB sound card while connected but it could slow the operation down.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-09-08 01:19:15

I only have it as a storage device. I didn't actually know it could do that!

2011-09-08 18:09:23

Well, the earlier ones can, so I guess there is no reason for this capability to be removed in the new brands. If the menu structure has not changed, it should be under device settings (or whatever it's called in English) and there you should look for the USB sub-menu. But if you just plugged it in without checking this setting first, then i recommend you to actually check it because (I honestly don't remember) it might be possible that the default setting is in fact combined.
Lukas