2011-09-05 02:00:26

Hey hey! It's me again. I've got this weekend free, except for the majority of this coming Monday. I just wanted to know, where could I go to learn programming nearly hands on? I just don't think I can read a manual and learn that way. I'm more of hands on. So does anyone know of a site where I can visit for this purpose? I've got a burning desire to program a game. I just don't think I can hold it in anymore, but reading manuals, and going through error logs is not my style.

2011-09-05 02:32:20

Hmmm. I'm not to shure on where to tell you to start, but when I learn basic on the old braille lite and bns, I just picked a quick start guide. I really didn't get to big in to ++ until the bgt stuff started coming out. So I guess start with bgt and go on and learn C++. I've heard that one you learn kind of how to trouble shoot and how the computer expect things, that other langerages will be easy enoug. OF course MTSU may be just trying to give me a really good reason to major in computer science fthere. Computer science my major for the time being, I may change. In short, I don't know where to tell you to learn, but Where ever it is, it will be painfully slow and any site you go to, may not be werth it to you. The BGT thing should be enough to use for writing a game, and from what I heard, you will learn along the way. From what I remember from computer science class last week, don't leave your code up on the screen when you know another coder is in the area. Trust me, they can make it hard for you, but it sounds like you won't have to worry about it on your computer.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-09-05 08:42:48

Hey Omar, that's right. If your intentions for now are only to create games, you can definitely start with BGT and stick to it for some time. If you don't know any other programming language yet, then BGT would definitely be the easiest and fastest option available to you right now.
Have you tried to mess around with the example games and with the "Game programming in practise" tutorials provided along with it? I believe that this kind of thing is about as much "hands on" as you can get with any written instructions.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-09-05 14:39:54

You cannot avoid going through lists of errors. What you can do is start small, meaning there will be fewer errors to go through. Make lots of small games/programs that test out specific things like playing sounds, producing speech, taking keyboard input and so on.

If at any point you need to copy and paste chunks of code don't, put it in a function instead. Functions let you make what is essentially your own command, that way if you need to change anything in that bit of code to fix a problem then you only have to change it once. Try to avoid duplication as much as possible. Also despite what some people think you should use functions instead of goto, or else use loops or if statements. Keeping the flow smooth and clean makes it much easier to manage the code later on.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-09-05 15:24:04

Even though I'm one of the biggest Visual basic supporters in the community, I completely agree that BGT is the way to go for someone just starting out.  Philip has done an excellent job on it, and from what I've seen it is very straight forward.  It would be relatively easy to learn and you can do a lot with it!  I took a look at the language to help someone debug their game, but I haven't yet written my own game using the language.  One of these days I probably will.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-09-05 18:59:03

I have a couple of questions reguarding BGT. What programming langauge does BGT use? Also, as most of you may already know, i am trying to start programming my own accessible mortal kombat shaolin monks game but, honestly i just can't figure out where to start. I have sound effects, i just need a little kick out the door so to speak. Any advice? Sorry to jack this thread by the way but, it relates to programming.

2011-09-05 19:37:58

I think that BGT is in C++. I don't know how out of date visual basic is, but the languange you learn should be as up to date as possable.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-09-05 19:39:54

HI,
BGT is a language itself. It uses the Angelscript scripting engine (that's what interprets and/or compiles your scripts) and that is written in pure C++ as far as I know. It should even be crossplatform in itself. For BGT to become crossplatform, Philip would have to rewrite those parts of the engine that use DirectSound, DirectInput, Sapi etc for the respective api counterparts in each individual operating system.
And sorry to repeat this but you really just won't start programming such a huge thing without prior experience. And how can one gain experience? By testing projects, by trial and error. So, just like Cx2 wrote, create lots of small, even pointless scripts that will however teach you how to do the various tasks. I never needed to do just that, I learned most of the language over the week that it took me to write Soundfall and then just gained more practical experience and talked lots of things over with Philip at the beginning.
Don't you want to join me though? I am working on a Mortal Combat style game myself and am finally getting somewhere, the basic fighting already works in fact. I don't want to say much more in public yet. For now, you could provide feedback, ideas and testing and perhaps learn your BGT in the process, and you could provide especially the sounds, lol. Later, when the game is finished, we could make an arrangement for you to possibly take advantage of the code in a way that would make it possible for you to create a modification of the game that would better suit your liking, or we could create it together, etc. What do you think?
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-09-05 20:10:24

Visual basic is being updated by Microsoft as they release new versions of their development environment, trouble is a lot of VI devs are still using VB 6 which is from around 2002 give or take. I know that was the current version back in that year. The major issue I see is increasing fragmentation in the operating system market, especially among visually impaired users. Visual Basic is a proprietary system made by microsoft, which is loosely based on the Basic language which was never formalised, thus it will almost never appear on any non-microsoft platform.

If BGT became cross-platform I would be very interested but I'm not holding my breath right now. Give it a few years and another couple Windows versions, with peoples older computers wearing out, and I am fairly confident there will be a bigger shift in what OS people are using. Lots of people are unhappy with MS, both VI and otherwise.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-09-05 20:57:14

Hi Lukas,
I want to test the game.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-09-05 22:15:53

Lukas. Sounds great. I would love to test anything you have in the works right now. I would need a bit of assistence with the programming asspect though. I don't know how helpfull i would be at this point but PM or email any info you have. If its OK, could i also look at the code like you mentioned and learn as i test?

2011-09-05 23:03:51

Burak, I am not offering any other positions for beta testing yet. When I start looking for beta testers among thepublic, which I certainly will and it should be quite soon, I will ask people to fill out an application form which I'll prepare.
Arqmeister, now that I think of it, it seems very unlikely to me that you would be able to understand anything from the code. It's not commented at all for the time being, it has already reached a size of over 40 kb (not counting the dynamic_menu and sound_pool include modules) and it is already getting quite complicated in places. I will certainly compile an exe for you though, provide detailed explanations of everything and keenly listen for any ideas and/or observations you might have. I really need feedback from someone who has more personal experience with the more recent Mortal combat games than I do (my first and last experience was the Deadly Alliance game for only a few months, but those were rather intense, and then the games Tekken 2 and 3 for the PSX which are based on a similar concept). I will gladly show you individual, separated parts of the code if you explicitly say that you are interested in them, and I am willing to provide suggestions and check over your first coding attempts, etc, but I think that you can understand and accept why I feel reluctant about letting someone outside of the development team see the entire code when the game is not ready for any kind of public presentation yet. So if you are okay with this arrangement, I'll let you know when your version is ready.
Cx2, I completely agree. I have just started exploring Vinux (a special distribution of Linux made especially for the visually impaired) today and am getting quite intrigued about it! I hope BGT will eventually be made crossplatform one day. If that happened, there would be no match for it.
Lukas

2011-09-05 23:57:32

Sounds good Lukas. No problem, perhaps i'm not a programmer at heart however, if you need someone who knows mortal kombat in and out, i can help you a lot there.

2011-09-06 12:55:56

Lukas I don't know if its true but I heard from someone that the Orca screen reader used in Vinux has lost its backing from Oracle, I don't know if they were even backed by anyone. If this is true then it seems the Orca project may fall apart and stop producing new versions, I would be cautious before acting on this information. I'll probably have to run a search later to confirm whether this is true or not. I have no reason to distrust the person who told me but I don't know who told them.

cx2
-----

2011-09-06 17:58:43

Ah, sounds nasty. However, I'm not far enough in my Linux or Vinux endeavors to be concerned about this as of yet. The Vinux project site certainly seems alive enough so who knows. I'm not up to turning away from Windows or anything like that for quite some time yet. :-D
Thanks for letting me know though.
Lukas

2011-09-07 02:49:40

Maybe we should try to hold our own classes over skype to try and help people get started with learning programming, and then record them for the benefit of people that don't attend directly.
It took me several years before I felt like I understood java3d enough that I felt like I might be able to use it if I could see the results, not because of the visual aspect, but because I was trying to learn from extremely formal documents written by people closely associated with Sun. (Or are they part of / became Oracle, now? I just know that each time I visit an official java-related website it seems more and more confusing. lol ).
The BGT documentation is much easier by comparison (well, and BGT itself is much simpler).

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-09-07 04:20:07

For Lucas. I like the idea! I'll provide sounds as well, if that is fine too.

2011-09-07 07:03:08

thanks for the offer, Omar. Again, if we need sounds, we'll be offering an application or rather audition form.
The classes are a good idea, Cae, but who has the time to organize them? I don't, unfortunately, not for now.
Lukas

2011-09-08 17:18:37

Hi,

I'm not interested in game writing, but am looking into writing simple GUI apps (something a bit more flexible than AutoIt), eventually contributing to something like the NVDA project or GNOME a11y etc. I'm one of those people who likes hands-on, and sitting in a code book reading up on abstract stuff all day is little use to me unless i can see some examples of it. Once the basics are out of the way, I'm flying though.

As an example, I am a fairly proficient JAWS script user, but that took a lot of time and experimenting once I had the basics down. Luckily, FS provides the basics of scripting manual with real world examples. Anything like this for Python, doing some standard WX imports and actually creating something, rather than planet Esoterica? I'll get that stuff originally, but need some basic advice about GUI programming etc.
Thanks,
SG

2011-09-08 19:26:18

I'm a big fan of the Python language, and it's what we use at Grey Matter Productions to program our games. There's something about a mainstream, widespread language that makes it much easier to pick up. There have been dozens--perhaps hundreds--of books written on the subject, there are dedicated forums and list servs dedicated to its use, it's naturally cross-platform, and it has an interactive shell where you can test out snippets of your code. Amongst working full time and programming my own games, I don't have heaps of time, but if anyone is looking for general advice/Q&A, I'm happy to help in whatever way I can.

For fantastic accessible games, visit us on the web at http://www.greymatterproductions.com. Or follow us on Twitter at @gmpupdates to get the latest thoughts and happenings straight from our grey matter.