2011-08-30 13:38:04

how many of yall took a Chemistry class? For those who has, how did yall deal with the Chemistry labs? I'm just wonder if any total blind people took a Chemistry class while in university and how they delt with it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-08-30 15:10:34

I did. My instructor tried to be as accommodating as possible, but it's still pretty difficult to get to anything more than just listening to someone describe what's happening and occasionally handing over materials for examination. (Obviously, I didn't get to try to determine the difference between silver nitrate and hydrochloric acid by touch, but I did get to handle a variety of metals and measuring instruments.)

So I suppose it went better than it could have, if not perfectly.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-08-30 16:43:34

I was interested in persuing a medical degree a few years back but dropped the idea when i was not accepted by any medical school within 100 miles. It was kind of frustrating because at the time, i thought it would be interesting to do some hands on stuff in a lab. I live by the saying, there is always a way but apparently not.

2011-08-30 19:10:15

I have met a totally blind doctor of chemistry, so it is certainly possible.

Myself, the closest I got was bio chemistry, and most of the biological stuff I did was fairly obvious in experimentation terms, eg, it's pretty difficult to miss what your doing when dysecting a heart or a kidney.

The hardest parts actually were the diagrams showing things like the stages of sell devision or the process of the hydrogen ion in the oxygen exchange at the lungs, but my biology teacher got pretty inventive, he even at one point got a tenis ball taped to a football to be a charged hydrogen atomwhich he then passed around the class, ditto when we were doing the process of protein synthesis in dna.

then again, at that stage it was far more important to understand what was going on, than do an experiment and get results.

the only sorts of experiments we did were ecological ones, and those were pretty symple to interpret.

I'd suggest you have a look for equipment like talking thermomitres and the like, and also make certain you have words with whoever is teaching the class to make completely certain you get what is going on.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-08-30 21:03:16

OK. is there any resources I could make use of? I think the instructor is worried about some of the chemiculs getting spilt on me. That I can understand. If what I heard in class yesterday is true, the lab will be crouded and the some of that stuff does have a low PH level. Matter of fact, they are so worried, that they want us to where goggles and clothes we really don't care about. Shues that cover your feet well is a must. The instructor has offered me the info that we would usually have to gather and leave it up to me to write a lab report, but I want to check all my options first.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-08-31 09:57:23

Safety goggles and close-toed shoes are standard for chemestry labs in general.
I have to doubt you'd be any more prone to spilling acid on yourself than anyone else, but maybe a supply of disposable gloves (I'd say latex, if you aren't alergic) might be helpful?
And most labs I've been in include a safety shower in case something does get spilled on people; I'd be very surprised if this one didn't.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-08-31 12:26:44

When I used to do experiements with that sort of stuff, i personally just wore laytex gloves. The gogles interfered with my glasses and made it impossible for me to see anything, so I never bothered with thse. With gloves though, I could pretty much do anything with something highly reactive I'd do with a glass of water, including sticking my finger in it to check level if necessary (though i admit my biology teacher was more bothered I learnt stuff than anything else).

I'm afraid the only thing I can recommend is getting on your instructor's good side and also learning the theory as well as possible so that if the experiment itself goes wonky you know what you were supposed to have learnt anyway.

this is what I didwhen doing enzyme reactions.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-08-31 16:49:26

So let's see, get on the instructers good side, get the latex gloves, wear the stander things. I'm thinking she is more worried about other spilling things and me not detecting it in time. With me being totally blind, I really don't have to worry about glasses. Of course I really don't know what is planned for the labs, which may make things diffecult when coming up with ideas. Me thinks I should talk to DSS and other services before passing judgement on how much of her good side I wantta be on. Am I missing anything? I really don't think the laytex gloves will be of much help when dealing with anything hot, but that is kind of something that I'm used to in the kitchen of my home. I know the lab is different to some degree but...

DropBox Referral