2011-08-23 16:15:29

i was wondering if i could have your input on screen readers i am currently using jaws 12 trial version as i cant afford a licenseand i am finding it the best so far i have used thunder which is free but i think it is not very good i have also used dolphin and i thought that was not either are there any more to try?

cheers

anthony

2011-08-23 16:36:48

there is windoweyes for GWMicros

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-08-23 16:45:59

if you don't want to spend money, NVDA is the best choice.

This is not a signature.

2011-08-23 18:11:46 (edited by hadi.gsf 2011-08-23 18:14:20)

dhruv is actually right.

NVDA is your free and best choice.

here is NVDA's site
http://www.nvda-project.org/

otherwise i blieve that the jaws is the most powerful screenreader for ever

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2011-08-23 21:10:48

ITS NOT THAT I DONT WANT TO PAY ITS JUST I HAD JAWS 11 ON MY PC THAT BROKE SO I BOUGHT A NEW PC AND BECAUSE ITS 64 BIT MY JAWS 11 WOULD NOT WORK FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC WANT £900 FOR A NEW LICENSE COSTING NEARLY DOUBLE MY PC THE MISTAKE I MADE EAS BUYING A 64BIT MACHINE ME thinks.

2011-08-23 22:13:25

Look at it this way, if you do have to spend that much in the feuture, to upgrade, you know what you do an don't like about jaws, wich will most likely help while shopping. As far as I am concern, FS is risking you as a custamer. After all, why should you pay that much for a upgrade to jaws just to go 64 bit. I do use jaws, but I have played around with windoweyes, and from what I can tell, it is rufly on the same level as jaws. There is also system access wich may be werth playing around with. With me, it is all about what you want from a screen reader. I also played around with voiceover on the mac and have found it quite useable. Of course, NVDA is a good choice for the price of free.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-08-24 03:45:55

If you aren't using all of the advanced scripting stuff with Jaws, NVDA will pretty much do the same. There are a few small differences here and there, but over all it's easy to go back and forth between the two.

The fact that the full version of Jaws costs about twice as much as a new computer these days makes me seriously wonder what FS is doing with the money they make. Hopefully their support staff gets paid well.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-08-24 12:40:39

thanks guys nvda is pretty cool for free i really dont understand why they dont charge people who are registered blind no more than £100 where do freedom scientific think we get the money from?

2011-08-24 13:14:26

They think we get it from the government through schemes like the disabled students allowance or access to work. Problem is enough people do get this to let FS charge ridiculous prices, but enough people don't that they get really upset about being treated unfairly.

NVDA is a very good option for free indeed. If you did want to go back to Jaws ever though you don't need a new license, if you have your old license details you should be able to contact the dealer and get an upgrade for a lot less than £900. Upgrading 11 standard to 12 standard should be £125, though you're probably looking at over £300 to upgrade from 11 standard to 12 professional if that was what was required. I don't know which do and don't support 64 bit, though I know standard only supported the home versions of Windows.

There's no real reason to have the standard and professional editions of Jaws, other than the fact that the versions of Windows which require you to use professional are more likely to be used by companies which in turn are more likely to have the money to pay for it. There isn't any difference between the access of the Windows editions, Jaws will actually have to detect the edition and specifically choose not to work on versions such as the ultimate edition. That feels very wrong to me.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.