2011-08-16 13:15:09

hi every 1

i am a blind guitar player and was wondering if there were any more of us out there also i am looking for a electronic guitar tuner if there is such a thing to assist me if so where could i buy 1.   rock on!

2011-08-16 14:03:11

I don't play the guitar, but I play the violin. That's fairly similar since it's a string instroment big_smile

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-08-16 14:20:57

Hi. I have been playing for about 10 years now. I play both electric and acoustic guitar. I am now in to more blues and jazz guitar but i love it. You can find tuners that will offer a tone that you can tune your guitar to. It has a tone for each of the 6 strings. Just go to your local guitar shop and ask if they have a tuner with this capeibility.

2011-08-16 16:53:22

I'm not good at the guitar at all, but I try it every now and then. I've got various other instruments, though I mostly stick to keyboards, or if it must be something not so buttons-y, the lap harp is next. I actually haven't gotten out most of my others since moving this past fall, so I'm not even sure where some of my others have gotten to. (I imagine my guitar and violin would be easy to find just because of their size and distinctiveness, but the others not so much).

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-08-16 18:26:48

Hello Anthony!
Actually, I play the guitar as well! I've been playing it for about four years, and still need a lot of practice! But if your looking for a small little tuner, just go to my website, click on the downloads section, and download this small tuner application for windows! It helps tune your guitar to different keys and its pretty accurate! Its called the Digital Guitar Tuner! Click here and search for the digital guitar tuner! It really helps. Sometimes, when I'm not sure whether a string is tuned, I launch the application, and check to see!

2011-08-16 19:03:24

are you any good at that violin lauren?    arkmeister you must be like b b king after playing 10 years! rock on man   i play acoustic guitar  kaigoku the tuner link dont work mate.

2011-08-16 19:59:25

Sorry Anthony! Sometimes, when you click the link, the server times out. Just click on it again, and look for the Digital Guitar Tuner! Hopefully, it works!

2011-08-16 20:57:24

Hi anterny,
Yeah, the links sometimes don't work, just try it about 3 times and it'll work. Sure, i'm fairly good at the violin but it's very difficult to learn a tune by ear on it. I also play the flute, I know that has nothing to do with the guitar but i'm ok at that too.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-08-16 21:29:19

thanks edgar got it will check it out later cool website by the way i made a website to but that was when i could see  i was an avid tarantula keeper and had over a 100 tarantulas  i love spiders  guitar  and pc games  when my sight was going i lost a few around the house lol  wonder where they have gone?

keep it up lauren you could be playing at the albert hall soon.

2011-08-16 21:34:38

big_smile Thanks!! lol

2011-08-17 00:38:06

The problem here is, if you are totally blind and therefore you cannot read any printed music score, then how do you improve yourself with the instrument that you are playing? I'm playing classical guitar about 5 years, but I have no noticeable improvement. Is that normal?

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2011-08-17 02:42:36

Music scores can be in braille. Also listening to other people play helps some too. I personally don't know how to play the guitar, but I have played the sax and piano and I would asume that braille music looks the same or similar across the board.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2011-08-17 08:16:32

Music scores don't improve your playing, they just tell you how to play a given song.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-08-17 09:44:54

CAE_Jones wrote:

Music scores don't improve your playing, they just tell you how to play a given song.

If you compare who does know music score and who does not, which one's skill (in most cases) is more improved?

Standing by the window, eyes upon the moon,
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon.

2011-08-17 12:29:39

well, let's just say, I don't use music scores and I play the piano violin and flute ok.

2011-08-17 13:02:44

i must admit classical guitar music is more complex finger picking being a difficult technique the ? is what are your practice regimes like? i mean alot of people learn a few tunes and then hust keep playing them because they can     you have to challenge with more difficult pieces to improve also play everyday for at least 10 mins can you post a link of uou playing?   i would love to hear any of you guys on your instruments.

2011-08-17 14:17:14

Let me chime in hear. I have been playing for long enough to know that yes, sometimes music theory helps. Scores and guitar tabs for example but, i think your ear is your best friend if you want to learn your favorite songs. If you can learn the basics from an instructor first, then you can take off on your own using your ear.

2011-08-17 16:07:12

i thought i would post me playing my banjo as i have not recorded myself on guitar yet hope uou guys like it   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXMprQSe4Ss

2011-08-17 19:05:24

yeah, here's a link to me playing a piece from HP on my piano. Note:
the quality isn't that good, sorry about that. smile
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3atekv
Hope you all like it.
big_smile

2011-08-17 19:20:48

Hi,
If any of you are looking to learn guitar, there is a company started by a blind guitar player called Talking Tabs. They are at www.talkingtabs.com and they teach you how to play guitar using audio tutorials, no music sheets. I used to be with them long time ago when they were still new - I helped write some of the preliminary instruction material.

For the original poster, if you're looking for a blind guitar player, there is a boy there named Jarred who is one.

2011-08-17 20:19:11

Hey there,
you were both pretty ok, Anthony and Lauren. How long have you been playing those instruments? And Lauren, what do you think is your best instrument, piano, violin or flute? These recordings inspired me to try and make one of myself playing my guitar. I agree that hearing and tips from more skilled players, friends or teachers, are the way to go if you want to actually improve your technique to manage more challenging pieces. Playing from scores is just that, you can learn how to play a classical composition, but if you don't know how to play a particular part or struggle with it, nothing but listening to an original recording, practice and hints from others can help you, from my personal experience. I have known people who have never actually played from scores but merely together with songs made by others, later jamming with their friends or singing campfire songs, and now they have proceeded to jazz guitar where they listen to a backlide or full song and improvise solos to it on an absolutely amazing level, considering that they are mere self-taught hobbists. Here are a few recordings of one of those people I am talking about, to demonstrate what I mean, for those interested enthusiasts like himself and me. LOL
He is one of my best friends and is also totally blind since birth, has been playing the guitar for about 12 years now and I've never met anyone better than him, not in person. When he was 8, his father just taught him the very basic chords and gave him a few other small tips, everything he knew himself, and that's all the official education he ever received!
Let's start with an acoustic improvisation he just played for himself one day. he likes doing just that quite a lot. It's worth mentioning that the recording is more than two years old, as far as my memory serves, so you can only imagine how much farther he has developed since then.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9167051/acoustic.mp3
He also plays the electric guitar, from hard rock to funky like stuff to jazz or blues, all pretty well. He has two standalone amplifiers, an older and simpler Peavey made of transistors, and a newer, more expensive and powerful one by Marshal, which is a hybrid one, half transistor and half valve-tube (or electron-tube or whatever to call it, I had to rely on a dictionary with this one, or it could also be described as just lamps). Then he has lots of separate cool gadgets to plug between the amplifier and the guitar - a booster unit, delay, chorus, wah-wah, and finally a multieffect processor. And in January or so, he bought an USB sound card with a built-in preamplifier and a jack made especially for electric guitars.
The first recording was made with the "What U Hear" functionality of his old sound card (also about two years old), with the marshal plugged into it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9167051/funk1.mp3
Now a newer one, still funk, already made with the new guitar sound card. It was only the guitar and the multieffect processor plugged into it, without the amplifier this time.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9167051/Funk2.mp3
And finally a very recent one. I am sorry but I don't have anything of significant quality that would be exactly jazz but anyway, I think you've got a pretty good picture of his skills even now. :-D
This is the only piece that he did not improvise, either all alone or as a solo together with a premade backlide. He told me it's an actual song that he tried to copy and of course play in his own style but I haven't gotten to know it yet. here goes:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9167051/loner-most_recent.mp3
I have been learning a lot from him and still have a looong way to go to become a match for him. LOL
Anyway, I might make a recording of myself, it's not too bad either. Hope you liked it and perhaps found new motivation and inspiration in these recordings. :-) I would love to hear any recordings of blind guitarists or drummers, amateur or professional. :-)
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-08-17 21:08:55

Hi Lucose.
I prefere either my piano, or my violin. I'm quite good at both, the flute is a bit difficult. I can still play the flute fine though, it's just a bit more difficult to learn by ear.

2011-08-19 01:58:22

good evening all!
this sparked my interest straight  away, as i love music!
i started playing the piano a long time ago, and just couldn't pick up the basics, shocking, so i gave up!
then, i moved on to brass, we fit quite well, brass and me, and i can now play the french horn, trumpet, and cornet, to a decent level! but, as young boys can do, i got bored, so my farther, suddenly surprised me by buying me a drum set!
i self-taught myself to play the drums, and am at a decent level, i'm 16 and it's my best instrument, link will follow!
recently, i was  at a charity shop!
and there, sitting there was a little ukulele!
i'd never played a string instrument seriously before, and i thought, well, it's only a tenner, note: that being the price, not the type of ukulele, haha!
anyway, i bought it, and started practicing, reading about chords, listening to songs,  internet tutorials!
and now i'm so glad because, i've got to the point where i can progress at my own rate, and i could pick up a  uke, and jam along, and its crazy, i've only been playing 2 months.
so, i love the ukulele a lot,
and recently upgraded to an electro acoustic consert!
beautiful!
so now, i'm thinking about the banjo!
i thought, well, i could pick up a banjolele, which is a ukulle banjo basicly, and i could play it straight away, as you play it  exactly the same as a ukulele, but i'm just not sure!
if anyone knows anything about them, i'd love to hear your  opinions!
i've also been trying to pick up the guitar, it just seems to have two many strings for me htough, so i put it off for now!
and now for a link to me drumming!
the link i post was a joke me and a friend did, he did a guitar cover, and i  did a drum cover of a random pop song,
people from the uk might  know them,
the band is s-club seven, and i  covered the song reach,
here it is, i'd love feedback!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4559915/reach%2 … 0cover.mp3
all the best!

2011-08-19 07:09:36

Wow, Robla, you absolutely rock! hats off!
How long have you had the set and how often have you been practicing? I would absolutely love to hear a recording of you playing the ukulele, if you are able to self-teach yourself like that. Are you really entirely self-taught on the drums, without any supervision or theoretical education? That's incredible!
I also have a set but unfortunately I didn't have any money left to buy a cimbal and hi-hat along with the Basix drum set consisting of the bass drum, snare, two toms and a floortom, so I have to use those of my grandfather, which are part of his 30 years old and relatively cheap set that he uses in his local village brass band. LOL
I never had any education whatsoever and just tried to play the rhythms and patterns I liked, but as I have the set standing in his garrage and I don't go there very often, my opportunities to practice are pretty rare and thus my skill level is not like yours at all yet. Since September, however, I'll go to university in a different city in a boarding house or students' hostel where I have a friend who studies drums at conservatory, and he's willing to teach me some fundamental techniques and especially how to do things properly. He has a room where he can store and play his drum set at their high school and he promised to let me go there to practice as well, so it should be much better since then. Can't wait for it!
How exactly do you hold and control the sticks? Do you move your whole hands, do you take advantage of relaxed wrists or are you actually able to do it the proper and hard way, hold the sticks so that you can then make just one single flick of a wrist and since then keep the stick in motion, constantly bouncing against the drum, with the individual fingers? I really wonder how to do that - whenever I try it, it usually falls off my hand sooner or later, lol, and without it I can't seem to be able to play such fast breaks so precisely at all.
Have you also learned how to put the set together and how to tune the drums and things like that? I would love to hear about your experience and possible tips from you!
Thanks, and keep it up man, you're cool!
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2011-08-19 14:57:34

Lucas, your friend is a very good musician. I learned a lot like him. I had someone teach me the basic chords and i went from there. I love blues and jazz music artists like John Mayer and guitar jazz peaces always interested me. Perhaps i will post a recording soon.