2011-08-01 15:45:56

Hello all.
I have finally decided to look into programming and stick with a particular language. Now, I know that many of yall are already thinking, why? When you can make AudioGames with the BGT Toolkit! Well, many of yall have known that I've been posting a lot of stuff about programming, but I never really replied or taken the time to ask questions! Which I will dedicate this one topic for me and my programming questions! So if any of yall programmers happen to stop by and read this, feel free to give me any tips on how to start programming! Anyway, I read some articles online that suggest that Visual Basic is a good beginner language, but I don't know if this is a good starting point. I also subscribed to the Programming Blind Mailing List, and they suggested to learn VB.net. I'm confused at this point, I don't know what language to learn or what the pros and cons are. Please reply with some suggestions for beginner programming languages.
I've had a little bit of experience with programming, including the BGT toolkit, but all have been failed attempts. I began learning JAVA as my first programming language, and I only got as far as writing a hello world program. Another programming language that I've tried was Python, and again, I only got as far as to write my first hello world aplication. To me, the basic concepts to those programming languages are the same, but I don't know what to do!
Anyway, its good to know that there is a forum where people are nice about answering your questions and not mean or judgemental about any particular question.
Thanks for all who help.

2011-08-02 07:35:15

I recommend you try Visual Basic. Its the easyest program language! I've even made a windows 7.1, but it took me about 5400hrs. Man It took me a lot. Do not ask me to post it here!

I am Ethin,
I have learned from my mistakes,
I will not hurt you,
So let me live!

2011-08-02 07:37:50

Ethin what on earth do you mean you made a Windows 7.1? You're implying you rewrote windows, which is a blatant lie. That level of programming is far beyond visual basic, and I doubt you have such skills.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-08-02 09:36:23

maybe he made windows 0.1, and it runs on windows 7.  big_smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-08-02 13:22:27

That is indeed something to consider laugh. Speaking of which I must get back to working on that version of iOS that runs on tabbies tongue

Now that would be interesting, a touch sensitive system where it keeps moving itself around under your fingers...

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-08-02 21:43:38

So SerfMaster, what your suggesting is to learn visual basic because its the easiest programming language? Tell me, are you totally blind or visually impaired? I'm asking, because I hear that the Microsoft Visual basic Studio Express is not really accessible with any screen reader other than JAWS! I just want to confirm that its worth downloading that application if its going to be useful to me in some way. Otherwise, I'm wasting my time!
Aprone, you said on another topic that you used Visual Basic to design some of your games? Well, what are your experiences with Visual basic. Is it as easy as Serf Master says it is? And if so, do you think that it would be accessible for the blind?

2011-08-03 01:40:11

Kaigoku, yes, I do use visual basic for my audio games.  In my opinion, the language is very easy to learn compared to most of the other languages out there.  As a sighted user, I use the mouse for almost every aspect of my time on the computer, and programming with visual basic is no exception.  Because of this, I don't even know where I would Begin! using visual basic if I was using only the keyboard.  Of course, this isn't saying much since I would be equally lost even trying to browse the internet or check my email if I couldn't use the mouse.  I guess I'm just not the right person to answer that question.  Jim Kitchen uses the same version of Visual basic that I use, and he is blind.  I guess that must count as evidence that it is accessible.

It is always important to take certain things into consideration before picking which language you will learn first though!  People will always disagree about which things are most important, when programming, but no matter how you will personally form your opinions, you absolutely Must! know the topics that are to be considered.

If you want to design games for mac or linux, then Visual basic is probably not right for you.  If you are looking to learn correct programming processes to use in other things besides audio games, then you may not want to start with Visual basic.  VB (visual basic) has a very specific way it can be used, in order to get the most advantage out of it.  The language is filled with time saving short cuts, meant to allow rapid development of small to medium scale windows applications.  This doesn't make the language any less important than any other, but it does mean there are projects it is intended for, and project types it is Not.  Let me break this down with a real life example.

Lets say that Visual basic is a pair of gardening sheers.  Another language, like C-sharp, is a pair of kitchen scissors, and Java might be craft scissors that form cuts that are zig zag patterns or something.  There is really no way to put any of the scissors down as tools, unless you put them into the context of some situation.  If you are making decorations for some event, the craft scissors can make the decorative cut in seconds!  If that is the task you are trying to perform, there is simply nothing better!  The large garden sheers couldn't do the job at all, and the kitchen scissors can mimic the results but it would take 50 times longer to do.

If you needed to trim the bushes around your house, any of the 3 scissors types would technically be capable of doing the job, but clearly the garden sheers are intended for this purpose.  The other scissor types would require a dozen cuts to do the same as a single cut from the sheers.  In this same way, sometimes a certain language simply cannot do a job, and other times it can but is much slower because it is not the most effective tool for the job.

The argument about languages occurs most often when people are envisioning the task differently.  If you could only take 1 of these scissors home with you from a store, you and another person might argue if he is expecting to trim bushes and you are expecting to cut tags off of the new clothes you just bought.  When people argue about programming languages, it will almost always come down to examples about situations the current language is not well suited for.  As long as you know the advantages and disadvantages, you will be able to make an educated decision about what to do.

It is very difficult to say what a particular language can and cannot do.  The lists are sometimes hidden in gray area, and you must take the developer's ingenuity into account.  The best solution is to look at examples that have been made with a language.  If you are looking to create something, but don't know if it can be done in Visual Basic 6.0, see if something similar was done by either myself, or Jim Kitchen.  Both of us have written our games with this language.  My apologies for any other VB6 developers who I'm failing to mention.  I hope this helps, even though I went off on a long rant.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-08-03 07:01:15

hi aprone.
what can I do to use visual basic?
because, I want to start programming.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2011-08-03 09:01:34

On the other hand using kitchen scissors to trim a hedge will give a much smoother result in the end. Sometimes you need the extra finesse and sometimes you don't, like you said it depends on the circumstances.

As you pointed out though Visual Basic has practically no cross-compatibility with systems other than Windows.

Of course I would argue that as yet audio games aren't complex enough that Visual Basic's lesser efficiency in performance is a major factor. For complex mainstream games you're going to get laughed at if you try using VB of course but for our purposes it's probably fine, so long as you only want to run it on Windows.

cx2
-----

2011-08-03 09:47:51

cx2, I completely agree with you about VB's lesser efficiency with performance.  Unless a project crosses a certain threshold, there would be no noticeable difference in performance.  I certainly haven't played every audio game, but I've yet to run into one that would run slow had it been created with visual basic.  I've done some pretty complicated things, including dozens upon dozens of vision systems using visual basic, and no audio game I've ever played holds a candle to those in terms of the processing required.  If the requirements for audio games change in future years, then this statement may no longer be valid, but for the time being I don't believe VB's lesser efficiency is worth considering.

It's true that the kitchen scissors might leave a smoother result, or depending on the situation, the extra cuts needed could leave an even more prominent jagged edge.  As you said, it all comes down to the exact situation, and the developer's proficiency with the language has a huge impact on this as well.  Who knows, a master wielding the plastic children's scissors could out perform amateurs even though they are using the specific tools meant for those jobs.  It's not a very black and white topic, lol.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-08-03 11:23:03

Very true, little is ever black and white in life let alone in these decisions.

Of course audio games for mobile devices probably will need more efficiency than VB can provide, but equally I don't believe those platforms support VB anyway. This may or may not become an issue when Windows 8 introduces support for ARM processors but for now it isn't an issue.

cx2
-----

2011-08-03 18:11:51

You are correct, VB isn't even supported on mobile devices as far as I know.  I've only ever used C based languages for mobile apps.  Actually, if a mobile device could run VB, I still don't think the efficiency would be an issue.  Graphics are really the major thing that is affected in VB.  If you do complex graphics and animation using Visual basic, the lower efficiency of the language can be noticed simply because even millisecond delays can be picked up with vision.  From my experience, the graphics in applications is the most unforgiving and demanding aspect.  It can require between a quarter and a half of your code.  It accounts for about 80-99% of the processing requirements, and it cannot accept any slow downs, delays, or jumps because they will all be noticed.  Not even music, within a game, is as complicated to implement.

Since audio games don't have to worry about that monster, the processing time lost due to the VB interpreter is insignificant.  I even remember a class where we clocked identical programs written in VB6, VB.net, C++, C-sharp, and Java.  The tests did not consist of any graphical elements, but they dealt with creating and sorting huge arrays using a few of the major sorting methods.  Bubble, Tree, and Merge sort I think.  *shrugs* don't quote me on the exact tests though, since it was years ago.  I can safely say that even this little class program had more of a processing load than probably any audio game that has ever been made, lol.  Anyway, all of the programs completed the tasks within a pretty small window of time, Visual basic never finished last in any test, and I can't remember which specific test it was, but VB actually finished first!  I remember that class being an eye opener for quite a few students.  All of the languages finished within seconds of each other, so the differences in their execution speed in simpler applications would have been even smaller, quickly reaching a point where a human wouldn't even be able to perceive the difference.  It was a great example of how efficiency differences with demanding things like graphics, shouldn't be the judge on a language's overall performance.  Once you threw out that 1 thing, even the quote inefficient un-quote languages like VB, VB.net and Java, held their own against C++ and C-sharp.  The thing that shocked me at the time, was seeing VB place higher in some tests than languages renown for their execution speed and efficiency!  It's All! about what you're using the language for.  Little else matters.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-08-03 20:33:39

OK. If your saying that Jim Kitchen made his games in Visual Basic, and he's totally blind, its worth trying to learn Visual Basic. It requires a lot of dragging of the mouse, but if I can get in contact with him, I could probably get some methods of using vb6 to produce games such as the ones that he produced.

2011-08-04 13:01:01

hi kaigoku,
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29360185/vb6_j70.zip
its help a little bit!
ask me for instruction's in this topic.

This is not a signature.

2011-08-04 13:47:13

hello dhruv.
What can I do to program with vb6?
Can you give step by step instruction how to get started with visual basic?

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,

2011-08-04 17:46:43

Hello Druv. Thanks for the DropBox link that you provided! Only one thing, can you tell me what exactly is in that .zipped archive? I've opened it, and all I see are either jbs files, jcf files, jdf files, jgf files, jkm files, jsb files, jss files, jsd files, and jsh files. What exactly do those files do? My guess is that they are JAWS scripts. But unfortunately, I don't use JAWS! So to me, those files are useless if that is the case. Anyway, thanks Dhruv!

2011-08-04 22:37:44

hi.
I think the file is to configure visual basic to get more accessible.

2011-08-05 00:57:58

No, they're to configure Jaws to make visual basic more accessible. They are indeed Jaws specific script files.

Strange since I'm sure Jaws used to include scripts for VB6 out of the box. Unless FS has removed this of course.

cx2
-----

2011-08-05 07:50:11

hi kaigoku,
sorry, they are jaws scripts. if you don't use jaws, then I don't have any another resorse. I think you contact with jim kitchin?
and for those who use jaws,
there is a little tutorial about it on
here

This is not a signature.

2011-08-05 16:37:00

On Aprone's point about languages and their efficiency, I'll add that only two things ever really seemed to slow down my java applications--graphics and loading/cleaning up large files. The latter isn't even lag so much as load time that interrupts things, which console games have their fair share of.
BGT seems to be noticeably faster and more capable with sound than java, but the way BGT handles threads (or the lack there of) makes it much more necessary to be careful when trying to do a lot at once (I've noticed this most in Sengoku Jidai, but sometimes there's some slight-but-noticeable lag in Mario from sound overload that I haven't managed to clean up yet. On Mario, I actually ported that code from java, and I think even added a few more restrictions to limit the number of sounds that would try to play at once.).

My VB experience is pretty limited, but I can only really think of two cases where I've noticed lag in Aprone's games. In Lunimals, if you have large populations that have next to no food, the game starts to slow down (I'm assuming this is because the loops required to search for food are taking much longer since they don't find anything), and I've noticed a couple instances in Castaways that I can't really place the cause of, though they're rare and probably have more to do with my computer doing something pointless in the background.

So, I suppose I'm just trying to add to Aprone's points with my own examples. The strengths and weaknesses of a language are something that don't really become an issue until you start trying to do hefty operations. By the time you get there, you should be able to handle any weaknesses that pop up, whatever language you use.

What it comes down to isn't really the inherent strengths/weaknesses of the language, but how well you can adapt to using it. For example, java and BGT use a similar syntax (I know there's a name for it, but I don't remember what it is), and the concepts are all close to the same, but you'd approach a java application and a BGT script rather differently.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-08-05 20:03:36

CAE_Jones, you are definitely right about Lunimals slowing down when you have huge populations with no food.  Basically the game is looping through each hungry animal, which then loops through each other animal, and calculates distance, resistance to attack, speeds to out run a predator, and several other things.  If you had 500 animals, then on each tick all of those calculations have to be done a quarter of a million times!  When I designed the game, I didn't imagine people would ever be working with that large of populations, so I would have designed it a little differently had I known.  Oh well, it comes back to your point about using experience to avoid problems you would run in to.  This is a good example of how I didn't plan for the proper work load, so I ended up with lag when there wouldn't have been any if I'd designed it differently.

It's a shame BGT isn't free because it seems to be an excellent tool for new developers who are just getting started.  I haven't really worked with it beyond helping a few people debug stuff they were writing, but it is clearly geared well toward audio games so the new developers won't have to waste time figuring out how to steer their programs down this very specific road.  Most languages seem to expect that you will be using graphical elements to display your information, so creating accessible programs takes extra steps and planning.  Even languages that just dump text into a console probably need a little more tweaking to make them easily read by the screen readers, though I'm not really sure if they do or not.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-08-05 23:45:37

Hello all. I've recently e-mail Jim kitchen, and he told me that he uses an older version of Microsoft Visual Studio. He uses version 6. Then, he proceeded to tell me that it works fine with JAWS 4.02, an old version might I say? So I was wondering, where does one find that version online? I would like to program with it!

2011-08-06 02:28:15

Aprone, BGT has three versions, one of which is free. The free version doesn't let you compile your code into a .exe file, and has a couple features restricted, but it's otherwise fully functional so long as the user has BGT installed.

kaigoku, do you mean visual studio 6 or jaws 4? The last time I checked (which wasn't particularly recently) old versions of jaws were still available somewhere on the freedomscientific website ( www.freedomscientific.com ).

Whenever I'd experiment with trying to learn VB, I'd always poke around macros in microsoft word, which I'm sure was a terrible idea. smile

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-08-06 03:52:57

Hello all.
About my last post, I'm looking for Microsoft Visual Studio Version 6. By the way, does anybody know of any Python Modules that will enable keyboard keys to be pressed at any given time? For example, pressing the down arrow! I'm starting to program in Python, and its working out great! I'll keep asking questions so that hopefully, yall can keep helping me.

2011-08-06 06:17:38

hi kaigoku,
go to
here
enjoy!

This is not a signature.